PDA

View Full Version : Vikings after Garcia?

baumy300
09-15-2008, 02:49 PM
Well, OK maybe not just yet, but the thought is floating around.

Oh, and before I post the link, I would like you all to appreciate how finely written this article was. It is pure brilliance.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/09/15/vikes-should-grab-garcia/

jessejames09
09-15-2008, 02:53 PM
It doesn't say we are. He's saying we should be. The reason Florio is known as a rumor monger is because he will post his thoughts and speculations, not just straight analysis.

I like this part.

The franchise deserves better, the fans deserve better, and Adrian Peterson — who is busting his ass to grind out the yards on the turf that Jackson isn’t able to gain through the air — deserves better as well.

In our view, Childress would be wise to not worry about whether he’ll look foolish for drafting Jackson by benching him.
NFL teams make plenty of mistakes; the teams who are willing to acknowledge their errors and move on are the ones who are smart enough to avoid compounding them.

Edit:
And that's a classic sig Baumy.

C Mac D
09-15-2008, 02:53 PM
I honestly believe it wouldn't make a difference. Even with Garcia, defensive coordinators know what plays we are running 3 weeks before the games even started.

baumy300
09-15-2008, 02:55 PM
"jessejames09" wrote:

It doesn't say we are. He's saying we should be. The reason Florio is known as a rumor monger is because he will post his thoughts and speculations, not just straight analysis.

I like this part.

The franchise deserves better, the fans deserve better, and Adrian Peterson — who is busting his ass to grind out the yards on the turf that Jackson isn’t able to gain through the air — deserves better as well.

In our view, Childress would be wise to not worry about whether he’ll look foolish for drafting Jackson by benching him.
NFL teams make plenty of mistakes; the teams who are willing to acknowledge their errors and move on are the ones who are smart enough to avoid compounding them.

Yeah I know the people who matter in the decision making are probably not considering this (or are they?)
but the fact that writers and sites like PFT are even seeing it should be grounds for hope. I realize everyone in the state of Minnesota can want Garcia but if Childress and Zygi don't we're screwed.

VikesFan4Life
09-15-2008, 02:56 PM
"jessejames09" wrote:

I like this part.

Not that I agree with bringing in Garcia (I'm not sure I do), Childress has a massive ego, and will probably never admit if he ends up being wrong about Jackson.
He'll just proceed to blame someone/something else.

baumy300
09-15-2008, 02:56 PM
"C" wrote:

I honestly believe it wouldn't make a difference. Even with Garcia, defensive coordinators know what plays we are running 3 weeks before the games even started.

*Sigh*

This is true. Sadly, all too real.

NodakPaul
09-15-2008, 03:01 PM
"baumy300" wrote:

"C" wrote:

*Sigh*

I don't think that it is true at all.
The sad reality is that our slim playbook is a result of TJack's ability, not vice versa.
I think Garcia would make a pretty big difference.

baumy300
09-15-2008, 03:04 PM
"NodakPaul" wrote:

"baumy300" wrote:

"C" wrote:

*Sigh*

The sad reality is that our slim playbook is a result of TJack's ability, not vice versa.

Well, you got me. It IS true that we do only run a few plays, but you're right as well. With a coherent QB we could open up the playbook (granted we have one) and let him go through the trial and error process.

BUT......

Anyone remember us bitching about the playbook when Brad Johnson was the QB? We still would run twice, pass for 2 yards and then punt. Johnson knew the playbook, so what is the excuse there?

Let's all just face it - We need a coach or we won't win with Jesus himself at QB.

C Mac D
09-15-2008, 03:07 PM
"NodakPaul" wrote:

"baumy300" wrote:

"C" wrote:

*Sigh*

I don't exactly buy that... we haven't changed much of anything since Johnson was at the helm... and even he started playing poorly when in Childress' offense, yet he shined in Tice's.

Zeus
09-15-2008, 03:10 PM
"C" wrote:

"NodakPaul" wrote:

"baumy300" wrote:

"C" wrote:

*Sigh*

I don't exactly buy that... we haven't changed much of anything since Johnson was at the helm... and even he started playing poorly when in Childress' offense, yet he shined in Tice's.

Shined?

Minnesota Vikings
184 294 62.6 1,885 6.4 12 4 23 134 88.9 18 53 2.9 0 5 3

That's "shining"?

=Z=

NodakPaul
09-15-2008, 03:10 PM
"baumy300" wrote:

"NodakPaul" wrote:

"baumy300" wrote:

"C" wrote:

*Sigh*

Well, you got me. It IS true that we do only run a few plays, but you're right as well. With a coherent QB we could open up the playbook (granted we have one) and let him go through the trial and error process.

BUT......

Anyone remember us bitching about the playbook when Brad Johnson was the QB? We still would run twice, pass for 2 yards and then punt. Johnson knew the playbook, so what is the excuse there?

Let's all just face it - We need a coach or we won't win with Jesus himself at QB.

I can't make excuses for the play calling with Johnson.
Childress was new... Johnson was old... Etc... Those are all true statements, and contributed to it.
But the fact still remains that play calling was not the best in '06.
I did see it get significantly better in 07, and I actually think it has been better in '08.
But I see real problems with the way they are being executed.

A new coach would make a difference, but there are two problems with that.
1) It is impractical to fire a HC and get a decent one in week 3. 2) A new coach would can TJack anyway, so we would never know...

It is more practical to trade for Garcia.
That is definately doable, and would answer the question once and for all.
Hell, at this point I wouldn't even mind calling Culpepper back up.

OK, maybe I am not THAT desperate yet... ;)

Purple Floyd
09-15-2008, 03:11 PM
I'm not sure if he would be an upgrade but if we get beat by the Panthers I would support trying out some different signal callers. I really think though that at this point we would be as effective with Gus as with Garcia.

C Mac D
09-15-2008, 03:12 PM
"Zeus" wrote:

"C" wrote:

"NodakPaul" wrote:

"baumy300" wrote:

"C" wrote:

*Sigh*

Shined?

Minnesota Vikings

That's "shining"?

=Z=

I'd love those numbers again.

Plus he didn't play a full season that year...

Zeus
09-15-2008, 03:14 PM
"C" wrote:

"Zeus" wrote:

"C" wrote:

"NodakPaul" wrote:

"baumy300" wrote:

*Sigh*

Shined?

Minnesota Vikings

That's "shining"?

Adequate, but not "shining", that's all.
I don't want Brittle Brad anywhere near this team.

=Z=

DiehardVikesFan
Garcia would help.
We wouldn't have to worry about him learning the playbook, since it is only two pages long.
And one of those pages is field goal formations.

But more importantly, Florio is a idiot.

C Mac D
"Zeus" wrote:

"C" wrote:

"Zeus" wrote:

"C" wrote:

"NodakPaul" wrote:

*Sigh*

Shined?

Minnesota Vikings

That's "shining"?

Adequate, but not "shining", that's all.
I don't want Brittle Brad anywhere near this team.

=Z=

Yeah, neither do I... but I'm saying Brad definitely went downhill when Childress got here.

NodakPaul
09-15-2008, 03:15 PM
"C" wrote:

"Zeus" wrote:

"C" wrote:

"NodakPaul" wrote:

"baumy300" wrote:

*Sigh*

Shined?

Minnesota Vikings

That's "shining"?

=Z=

BJ's wins all came against teas with losing records, except NYG... and if you go back and look at that game, offense wasn't exactly our strong point (nor did they score any points).
I suspect that TJack will be able to post a winning record against the 8 crappy teams we are playing this year as well.
That doesn't mean that I think TJack will shine by any means...

NodakPaul
09-15-2008, 03:16 PM
"UffDaVikes" wrote:

I'm not sure if he would be an upgrade but if we get beat by the Panthers I would support trying out some different signal callers. I really think though that at this point we would be as effective with Gus as with Garcia.

You are probably right, but I would like to at least try something...

Purple Floyd
09-15-2008, 03:20 PM
"NodakPaul" wrote:

"C" wrote:

"Zeus" wrote:

"C" wrote:

"NodakPaul" wrote:

*Sigh*

Shined?

Minnesota Vikings

That's "shining"?

=Z=

BJ's wins all came against teas with losing records, except NYG... and if you go back and look at that game, offense wasn't exactly our strong point (nor did they score any points).
I suspect that TJack will be able to post a winning record against the 8 crappy teams we are playing this year as well.
That doesn't mean that I think TJack will shine by any means...

TJ's last loss was against a team with a losing record ;)

At least they had one until 3 seconds left :o

I am certainly not hearing that "TJ was 8-4" crap any more lol

Marrdro
09-15-2008, 03:22 PM
I'm not sure if I want to post or not in this thread...........

Anywhooooooo.

First, its a bit late to get this cat in now.
He should have looked around a bit when he became a free agent last time instead of just running over to TB.
Look how he's being treated now.

Second, isn't he a bit dinged?
Even though he says he is 100% his coaches say he isn't.
Wonder who's right on that one.
Not sure I want him if he isn't healthy.

Third, it would take him at least 3-4 weeks to get in synch with our WR's, C, OL etc etc.
By that time it would be a waste of CAP space.

Nope, as desparate as us fans are now, I don't think its that desparate.
Let this staff sink/swim with the card they brung us.
Then and only then will we know were the future lies.

El Vikingo
09-15-2008, 03:24 PM
We never gonna go after Garcia,at least while the Chiller is here.Why? Cause then He would recognise he has made a mistake with Jackson,and he is too cocky for it.He will die with his roster and
his rigid
ass.

baumy300
09-15-2008, 03:26 PM
"Marrdro" wrote:

Anywhooooooo.

He should have looked around a bit when he became a free agent last time instead of just running over to TB.

Third, it would take him at least 3-4 weeks to get in synch with our WR's, C, OL etc etc.

Your post makes a lot of sense Marrdro. A lot of sense in deed.

We will probably end up watching Cillydick take a talented team and running us down to the depths of a 7 and 9 season.

If we keep this recent crap up, we could be in the running for Tim Tebow!

Freakout
09-15-2008, 03:31 PM
"Marrdro" wrote:

Anywhooooooo.

I agree.

We are stuck with what we have.

StillPurple
09-15-2008, 03:33 PM
Thanks for coming around, guys. I have been saying this since spring: we need a good QB who can run the west coast offense. Garcia would work.

We also need an offensive coordinator who can do more than run AP off-tackle and have our QB roll out right.

DiehardVikesFan
09-15-2008, 03:33 PM
"baumy300" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

Anywhooooooo.

We will probably end up watching Cillydick take a talented team and running us down to the depths of a 7 and 9 season.

We're set at full back

Marrdro
09-15-2008, 03:34 PM
"baumy300" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

Anywhooooooo.

You are way to kind my friend.
Even a blind squirrell can find a acorn once in awhile.......

To your post, .........Or we cah hope that JDB learns something this year....... ;D
;D

Seriously though, I just don't see the Chiller going anywere regardless of what happens this year.

ItalianStallion
09-15-2008, 03:36 PM
Hey remember when we had a legitimate shot at Cutler, Brees, Garcia, Pennington, etc.?

Instead we went with Jackson, McMahon, Holcomb, Bollinger and Brad Johnson.

Childress sure knows how to manage the QB position...

funkyasflea
09-15-2008, 03:38 PM
Well i think Garcia has a strange head...good one right?

Sorry everyone, jsut had to put that out there.

Marrdro
09-15-2008, 03:46 PM
"ItalianStallion" wrote:

Hey remember when we had a legitimate shot at Cutler, Brees, Garcia, Pennington, etc.?

I blame Cutler on Foley.
I blame Brees on Foley and the Chiller.
I blame Garcia on himself. He went straight to the Bucs without really entertaining any offers.

As to Pennington.
I laud Spielman and the Chiller for keeping thier wits about them and not getting that cat.
;D

NodakPaul
09-15-2008, 03:48 PM
"Marrdro" wrote:

"ItalianStallion" wrote:

I blame Cutler on Foley.
I blame Garcia on himself. He went straight to the Bucs without really entertaining any offers.

As to Pennington.
I laud Spielman and the Chiller for keeping thier wits about them and not getting that cat.

;D

I blame it all on Bad Marrdro.
Dang him! ;D

Zeus
09-15-2008, 03:50 PM
"Marrdro" wrote:

"ItalianStallion" wrote:

I blame Cutler on Foley.

Marty, Marty, Marty - come on, now.
Don't keep that old chestnut alive.

When Drew Brees went to New Orleans, Daunte Culpepper was the starting QB of the Minnesota Vikings.
They were *NEVER* involved in an effort to get Brees.

=Z=

Purple Floyd
09-15-2008, 03:51 PM
If we got him it would bring this to the state, which has to be a good thing

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v695/denjahn/Carmella_DeCesare_01.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v695/denjahn/carmella1.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v695/denjahn/carmella2.jpg

baumy300
09-15-2008, 03:52 PM
"ItalianStallion" wrote:

Yes, I do remember those times.

He is after all a quarterback guru
::)

baumy300
09-15-2008, 03:52 PM
"UffDaVikes" wrote:

If we got him it would bring this to the state, which has to be a good thing

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v695/denjahn/Carmella_DeCesare_01.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v695/denjahn/carmella1.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v695/denjahn/carmella2.jpg

OK, I'm a believer.

Which plane is he boarding?

Purple Floyd
09-15-2008, 03:53 PM
"Zeus" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

"ItalianStallion" wrote:

I blame Cutler on Foley.

When Drew Brees went to New Orleans, Daunte Culpepper was the starting QB of the Minnesota Vikings.

=Z=

But Culpepper had his knee in a cast and there certainly was justification in bringing him in to fill in while Daunte rehabbed

Marrdro
09-15-2008, 03:53 PM
"Zeus" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

"ItalianStallion" wrote:

I blame Cutler on Foley.

=Z=

Excellent point Z.
I forgot about that timing.
I still blame Foley for it though just out of spite.
;D

Zeus
09-15-2008, 03:56 PM
"UffDaVikes" wrote:

"Zeus" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

"ItalianStallion" wrote:

I blame Cutler on Foley.

But Culpepper had his knee in a cast and there certainly was justification in bringing him in to fill in while Daunte rehabbed

In bringing in Brees?
No way.
Brees never would have gone for coming in here to hold a job until Daunte came back.
In retrospect, it seems reasonable, but that was all before Daunte started whining to the press in his e-mails while rehabbing behind Long Duk Dong's Chinese Buffet.

=Z=

ItalianStallion
09-15-2008, 03:57 PM
"Zeus" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

"ItalianStallion" wrote:

I blame Cutler on Foley.

=Z=

Culpepper was being shopped before Brees signed with the Saints.

Purple Floyd
09-15-2008, 03:58 PM
"Zeus" wrote:

"UffDaVikes" wrote:

"Zeus" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

"ItalianStallion" wrote:

I blame Cutler on Foley.

In bringing in Brees?
No way.
Brees never would have gone for coming in here to hold a job until Daunte came back.
In retrospect, it seems reasonable, but that was all before Daunte started whining to the press in his e-mails while rehabbing behind Long Duk Dong's Chinese Buffet.

=Z=

You could be right. All I know is he was a FA and I certainly wanted him to come here. I also know it was reported as a possibility in the media so for that reason it had to be credible.

Zeus
09-15-2008, 04:00 PM
"UffDaVikes" wrote:

"Zeus" wrote:

"UffDaVikes" wrote:

"Zeus" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

I blame Cutler on Foley.

In bringing in Brees?
No way.

You could be right. All I know is he was a FA and I certainly wanted him to come here. I also know it was reported as a possibility in the media so for that reason it had to be credible.

Well - I wanted them to trade for Sage Rosenfels.

=Z=

Garland Greene
09-15-2008, 04:04 PM
"NodakPaul" wrote:

"baumy300" wrote:

"C" wrote:

*Sigh*

I have to agree with Nodak 100% on this one. I think the play calling is because of the QB not being able to run the offense.

If we get a better Qb with more ability whether that be Garcia or other wise and we still see the sam stuff, then yes I will agree it is Chilly as well. Chilly downfall will not be his play calling but his faith is TJack to remain the starter.

i_bleed_purple
09-15-2008, 04:04 PM
Maybe if Matt Cassell lights it up Tom Brady will be on the trading block ;) (patiently waits for Cajun's "fuck tom brady" response)

gagarr
09-15-2008, 04:12 PM
"C" wrote:

I disagree.

The big thing that Garcia will bring is the ability to read defenses, make corrections, and check down when the blitz is coming.
I don't think the coaching and TJ himself believe he can make the correct calls.

Garcia is of course a short term solution, but it would give TJ more time to mature or for the Vikes to find a new QB.

But I think TB would ask too much for him.
I do believe that Garcia could pick up the system very fast, as he's been in quite a few in his career.
He's a good WCO QB.

Vikefan05
09-15-2008, 04:13 PM
that was a well written, tongue-in-cheek article.

Mr-holland
09-15-2008, 04:24 PM
wasn't Brees injured around that time as well? why let go one injured QB to sign another.

HotHandsTanner3
09-15-2008, 05:30 PM
Garcia would be nice it would take some time for him to get the offense down but i eman hey he might be just what we need sounds like past super bowl winners to me great defense good Qb who can make good decisions and make plays

baumy300
09-15-2008, 05:38 PM
"HotHandsTanner3" wrote:

Garcia would be nice it would take some time for him to get the offense down but i eman hey he might be just what we need sounds like past super bowl winners to me great defense good Qb who can make good decisions and make plays

OK now, what?

marshallvike
09-15-2008, 05:41 PM
i was thinking garcia might be a decent pickup when i heard tampa tried to trade him before the game. then i thought, there is a reason no-one wants to keep him, we just don't know the reason.

ItalianStallion
09-15-2008, 08:10 PM
"HotHandsTanner3" wrote:

I don't think it would, he started in Philly which runs a very similar offense.