PDA

View Full Version : Are we a "tough" team ?

StillPurple
09-02-2008, 06:57 PM
I keep hearing the term "toughness" associated with NFL teams. I was flipping through Tom Coughlin's new book "A Team to Believe In", about the 2007-2008 Giants, and he brings this topic up often. Coughlin is known for focusing on this attribute, and I think that one reason the Jaguars are so "tough" is the stamp he put on that team in the 1990s. His training camps are notoriously hard and even "brutal". When I think of "tough" football teams, I think of the Ravens, Steelers, Jags, Giants, Eagles, and Chargers.

Question: are we "tough" too ?

Purple Floyd
09-02-2008, 07:03 PM
No, the vikings are lovers, not fighters.

Prophet
09-02-2008, 07:07 PM
Try to take a rack of ribs from Phat Pat when he's in a feeding frenzy and you will get your answer.

marstc09
09-02-2008, 07:11 PM
Chilly and company is too soft. Soft like vanilla ice cream.

Prophet
09-02-2008, 07:17 PM
"marstc09" wrote:

No amount of flattery will move you up in Marrdro's spreadsheet.

erik5032
09-02-2008, 07:47 PM
"marstc09" wrote:

Oh Because he is white or "Vanilla" he is soft? Never took you as a racist Mars!!!!!!
;D

StillPurple
09-02-2008, 07:53 PM
Did you have to bring up "Vanilla Ice" ?

BadlandsVikings
09-02-2008, 07:55 PM
"StillPurple" wrote:

Did you have to bring up "Vanilla Ice" ?

Vp-is6S_b_g

kevoncox
09-02-2008, 08:02 PM
I think we are soft. Like our bandwagon fans!
:-[

FreakinVikingsBaby
09-02-2008, 08:14 PM
We're not soft, we're fluffy.

VikingMike
09-02-2008, 08:26 PM
Hard to question Coughlin's philosophy. We have some tough guys on our team...EJ, JA, Hutch, AD. But until we win a meaningful game in Dec, or God forbid Jan, we are not tough enough.

When it gets to the end of a long hard season, and you gotta dig down deep into your gut and outplay another team that's gunning for the same goal, toughness really does come into play...and the results show that usually the toughest team will win, because at that point in the season the talent levels are fairly even.

ultravikingfan
09-02-2008, 08:39 PM
We will soon find out.

StillPurple
09-03-2008, 01:37 AM
Just wondering about that Vanilla ice video. Do you think that those dancers sleep in separate beds ?

Young Sherlock
09-03-2008, 02:05 AM
Try to take a rack of ribs from Phat Pat when he's in a feeding frenzy and you will get your answer.

Nicely played, oh wise one.
;)

VikingsTw
09-03-2008, 02:11 AM
I think you have to be a tough team in order to lead the league in rush Offense and Defense. With the guys we already had on defense plus Jared Allen its downright vicous. Brad Childress is all about tough teams, Mike Tomlin will tell you same thing. I don't think you have to look far to find hard nosed football players on our roster. Offensivly we have great blocking TE's and we're deep at FB. I think once Bryant McKinnie is back enter John Sullivan we really start seeing results.

PurpleTide
09-03-2008, 06:45 AM
When you lead the league in rushing yards, and stopping the rush, I'd say we're pretty tough and are going to wear down opposing teams. Maulers like Herrera, Kleinsasser, Hutch, and on D we got Kevin and Pat, EJ, Winfield... I mean I could go on, but ya'll get my point. It all starts in the trenches and we have been dominant there these last few season's, and under Chilli's watch I look for that hardnosed style to continue.

digital420
09-03-2008, 08:52 AM
bchill said from day 1.. it all starts in the trenches..

if you don't think we're tuff.. ask any nfc linemen O or D.. we hvae some big guys who like to get mean!!

DiGiTaL

kspurplepride
09-03-2008, 09:42 AM
tough teams run the ball and stop the run, and for the last two seasons no one has done that better than we have. No one is going to come out and call us a finese team. We have corners and backers that like to hit. We have a defensive line thats basically telling the world to expect 50+ sacks, and we have a running back that ran people over in College for fun. Our Offensive line loves to run block... they love to run people over, contrary to the Olines that like to stand up and try and block for the 3-5 seconds it takes to get rid of the ball.

PurplePowerPunch
09-03-2008, 10:30 AM
When u lead the league in Rushing, and against the Rush. U r a tough football team! No one does it likes the Vikes baby!!!

C Mac D
09-03-2008, 10:39 AM
Not yet, but we will gain that reputation as the season wears on.

I think we may lose a few to start the season off... but as long as we finish strong and play tough, I have no worries (other than offensive playcalling).

I still can't believe Childress cut Martin Nance... I'm so glad we still have wade and ferguson.

mountainviking
09-03-2008, 11:33 AM
I think that by season's end, the NFL will be wary of playing the Minnesota Vikings.
That QBs will be waking up frightened and Offensive coordinators will have sleepless nights trying to get somebody open while double team blocking Kevin, Pat, and Jared
;D

Ever notice how many opposing players leave the field and don't return during Vikings games?
I think we're pretty tough already.

Prophet
09-03-2008, 11:51 AM
In the third preseason game Tomlin mentioned that he was glad they matched up with the Vikings because they are a hard-nose team and it will let him see where the team stands.
Since the third game typically has the starters in for the first half and the first series of the second, it's a good small-scale measure of what is happening.
The Steelers have had a reputation for decades of being a bad ass team (not in the sense of the Raiders), but in a tough-playing football team.
The Vikings have been going down the right track for the past couple years and is ridding itself of the Redneck McCombs garbage and building a team that smashes the football down your face (#1 in rushing '07), stops the run (#1 against the run '07) and does not allow other teams to score (#11 in least pts allowed in '07).
That is a bad ass and tough team.
Factor in the the shoring of the D-line, improvement on the receiving corps and another year under TJacks belt....get the fuck out of the way.
The Vikings are here to shove that damn pigskin down your throat, pull it out of your ass, then shove it down your throat again.

Yes.
They are a tough team.

mountainviking
09-03-2008, 12:28 PM
"Prophet" wrote:

In the third preseason game Tomlin mentioned that he was glad they matched up with the Vikings because they are a hard-nose team and it will let him see where the team stands.
Since the third game typically has the starters in for the first half and the first series of the second, it's a good small-scale measure of what is happening.
The Steelers have had a reputation for decades of being a bad jiggly butt team (not in the sense of the Raiders), but in a tough-playing football team.
The Vikings have been going down the right track for the past couple years and is ridding itself of the Redneck McCombs garbage and building a team that smashes the football down your face (#1 in rushing '07), stops the run (#1 against the run '07) and does not allow other teams to score (#11 in least pts allowed in '07).
That is a bad jiggly butt and tough team.
Factor in the the shoring of the D-line, improvement on the receiving corps and another year under TJacks belt....get the floop out of the way.
The Vikings are here to shove that gol 'darnit pigskin down your throat, pull it out of your jiggly butt, then shove it down your throat again.
Yes.
They are a tough team.

Nice!!!
LOL!
The ole rusty pigskin treatment!
That should be on a plaque in the locker room or hanging over the kegerator or part of somebody's sig or something
;D

V-Unit
09-03-2008, 10:26 PM
I think we are a big-hit safety away from being the toughest team in the league, physically speaking.

Mentally, I don't think we are tough at all.

VikingsTw
09-04-2008, 02:18 AM
"V" wrote:

I think we are a big-hit safety away from being the toughest team in the league, physically speaking.

Mentally, I don't think we are tough at all.

I don't see how being mentaly weak would result in Phenominal Rush Offense or Defense. Childress won't have players that are mentaly week, hence guys like Chase Johnson who have been let go.

I think motivation must remain a primary goal for our team. I didn't exactly like the way we played the Washington Redskins last season or the Passion we showed entering that game. I think as time goes the players will understand if they already don't, what the orginization is aiming for. I think one big season this year could catipult us for many more, in essence, once we get our confidence the sky will be the limit.

V4L
09-04-2008, 02:24 AM
I would say so

If you need reasoning go read what Prophet said

He said it all best