PDA

View Full Version : Key storylines for the Minnesota Vikings this season

singersp
09-01-2008, 10:34 AM
Key storylines for the Minnesota Vikings this season (http://www.twincities.com/vikings/ci_10352814)

By Rick Alonzo
ralonzo@pioneerpress.com

Article Last Updated: 09/01/2008 12:12:13 AM CDT

Running back Adrian Peterson and quarterback Tarvaris Jackson will be keys for the Vikings' offense this season, but others will have important roles as well. With the season opener next Monday at Green Bay, here are some storylines to watch this season....

PurpleTide
09-01-2008, 11:08 AM
You can't argue with that article, it sums it up without saying anything we pretty much already know.

VikingMike
09-01-2008, 11:14 AM
Everything hinges on TJack...and of course the play of our OL.

JDogg926
09-01-2008, 01:09 PM
Seven things that WILL happen this season:

1. The Vikings win 11-12 games and the NFC North.
While I think Green Bay will be decent, and possibly grab a wildcard, and Detroit will be better than most people expect, I still see us with a legitimate shot of sweeping the division, and simply being a more complete team than any in the division.

2. Kevin Williams posts double digit sack totals.
Jerad Allen will get much of the attention and many double teams, and will also force a lot of things back inside.
I would not be surprised to see Williams with 12-14 sacks, and Allen in single digits.
Allen's value won't be in the #'s, it will be in what he creates for the rest of the D.
This guy was a freak with a mediocre defense around him in KC, now he joins what is already one of the best defenses in the league.
It's gonna be fun to watch!

3. EJ Henderson has a career year, with career highs in tackles, and INT's.
He's already a very good MLB, now playing behind an amazing front 4.
The pressure applied by the line is going to leave him free to roam a little bit, and he's going to be handed a few INT's.

4. Sidney Rice, provided he plays at least 14 games, puts up at least 70 catches, at least 1100 yards, and
at least 6 TD's.
He will also likely be ahead of Berrian in every statistical category, with the possible exception of TD's.
I see Berrian with about 50-60 rec's, 700-800 yds, 6-8 TD's.

5. Tyrell Johnson will make a case for defensive ROY.
I didn't really know much about this guy when they drafted him, but he's a heck of a tackler, and I don't see too many long runs or long pass plays getting by him.
I'm interested to see how well he fills in while Madieu Williams is out.
(How many Williams's are on this team anyway?)

6. The Vikings defense will post their first shutout in a very, very long time.
It was ridiculous how much the D-line dominated Pittsburgh and Baltimore in the preseason.
This defense is simply too good for some teams to move the ball against.
An offense like the Bears, Falcons, or Texans makes a couple mistakes, it's over.

7. TJack's completion % goes way up.
With Sidney Rice in a starting role, Berrian's hands replacing Williamson's as a primary deep threat, Bobby Wade moving back into the slot, and as well as Jackson looked during the majority of his time in the preseason, I believe he will have no problem completing over 60% of his passes.
Will he throw 3000 yards, and 25 TD's?
No, but his %'s should be significant improvements over last year.

V4L
09-01-2008, 01:34 PM
You have really high hopes there Jdogg

singersp
09-01-2008, 01:35 PM
"VikingMike" wrote:

I think the play of secondary needs to be thrown in there as well. How much yardage & points they give up will be key.

Did anyone besides me notice the amount of batted down passes those non-starters gave us in the Steelers game? I haven't seen that many in one game for years.

marstc09
09-01-2008, 04:49 PM
Player who will be the biggest disappointment: The expectations surrounding Bernard Berrian are so high it's bound to be a letdown if he doesn't have 1,000 yards receiving. But with Jackson still developing, that might be too much to ask.

I don't agree with this. Bernard was brought in to stretch the defense not be our #1 guy. Wade is our workhorse/slot and rice is the playmaker/red zone guy. These guys will take away from Berrian yardage totals. Fergy and Allison will also get looks. I might be disappointed if we don't see a few 100 yard games by one of our WRs. But it is not a big deal if we are winning. Each of them have their roles.

jessejames09
09-01-2008, 04:55 PM
"marstc09" wrote:

Player who will be the biggest disappointment: The expectations surrounding Bernard Berrian are so high it's bound to be a letdown if he doesn't have 1,000 yards receiving. But with Jackson still developing, that might be too much to ask.

I don't agree with this. Bernard was brought in to stretch the defense not be our #1 guy. Wade is our workhorse/slot and rice is the playmaker/red zone guy. These guys will take away from Berrian yardage totals. Fergy and Allison will also get looks. I might be disappointed if we don't see a few 100 yard games by one of our WRs. But it is not a big deal if we are winning. Each of them have their roles.

Bernard is expected to be one of 2 starters. Considering Rice is a 2nd year player with under 600 yards people call Berrian our #1 receiver. Fair enough. He might not get the most yards but he is considered our biggest threat.

marstc09
09-01-2008, 05:02 PM
"jessejames09" wrote:

"marstc09" wrote:

Bernard is expected to be one of 2 starters. Considering Rice is a 2nd year player with under 600 yards people call Berrian our #1 receiver. Fair enough. He might not get the most yards but he is considered our biggest threat.

My biggest disappointment will be Chilly if he fails to open up the playbook.

singersp
09-01-2008, 05:19 PM
"jessejames09" wrote:

"marstc09" wrote:

Not if he's on the sideline nursing turf toe.

He's no help or no threat then.

VikingMike
09-01-2008, 05:25 PM
"singersp" wrote:

"VikingMike" wrote:

I think the play of secondary needs to be thrown in there as well. How much yardage & points they give up will be key.

Did anyone besides me notice the amount of batted down passes those non-starters gave us in the Steelers game? I haven't seen that many in one game for years.

Yes, but I'm expecting the DL to make the secondary much better...for me the single most critical factor is TJack.

COJOMAY
09-01-2008, 05:30 PM
Some may think this is stupid but how I wish we had one more experienced receiver who could stretch the field. I'd go for that over a top replacement for McKinnie.

StillPurple
09-02-2008, 12:23 AM
My predictions for this season/ things to watch:

1. It is all on Tarvaris. Can he really read a defense in the NFL ??!! Can he "play within himself" and "drive the bus". Is he accurate enough ? Will he improve, a la Eli Manning ? One thing is for sure: Tarvaris cannot blame his weapons anymore !

2. Kevin Williams is a beast and this is the year he completely destroys offenses !!! Jarred Allen will be a side story to nr. 93 destroying offenses and causing chaos all over.

3. Peterson will often see stacked boxes and will be hampered in some games. This will be unexpected and the NFL will be a bit shocked by it. At the same time, he will have some big games.

4. Berrian will be a decoy and will "attack the secondary". His main role, as some here have pointed out, is to force the safeties out of the box and back.

5. Kleinsasser will be the underrated guy who makes the big contributions, again.

6. Press coverage in the Cover 2 is big, and how the corners do it on the LOS will be huge, and most people won't see it.

7. Our WRs will continue to block extremely well downfield.

8. Special teams will continue to be a weakness.

9. Childress will at times be outcoached.

10. We will beat the Bears twice and the Packers once !!
;D

Vikefan05
09-02-2008, 03:04 AM
"marstc09" wrote:

"jessejames09" wrote:

"marstc09" wrote:

My biggest disappointment will be Chilly if he fails to open up the playbook.

so true.
I have yet to see a game that was unexpected in the playcalling department.

AKViking
09-02-2008, 04:32 AM
I like what I've seen from Sullivan, but to say he is a long term solution at center and leverage against re-signing Birk is a ssssssssssstrech! Way to early to anoint him the second coming of Bir... uh wait, Birk isn't gone yet. I'd like to see Sullivan add a few pounds and play with a bit more speed and agility. That said, I don't see Sullivan truly being ready to start for two more years.

Marrdro
09-02-2008, 08:32 AM
"singersp" wrote:

"VikingMike" wrote:

Did you notice how close the CB's (starters and backups) played in preseason.

Saw quite a bit of press coverage my friend.
That should make you ecstatic.
;D