PDA

View Full Version : Brian Robison: Challenge is big, but so is confidence

singersp
09-01-2008, 10:32 AM
Vikings: Challenge is big, but so is confidence (http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/27727019.html?elr=KArksi8cyaiU9PmP:QiUiD3aPc:_Yyc:aULPQL7PQLanchO7DiU)

Defensive end Brian Robison isn't conceding a thing even though the Vikings added a star at his position.

By CHIP SCOGGINS, Star Tribune

Last update: August 31, 2008 - 11:46 PM

Purple Floyd
09-01-2008, 10:34 AM
I like him. He has a strong push and speed on the outside. Whenever we need to rest Allen, he will fill in nicely.

PurpleTide
09-01-2008, 10:50 AM
Robison as well as Grigsby are going to be a big reason for any success we have keeping that d-line rotation strong and fresh. When Robison comes in I don't see us losing a step, and will keep Jared fresh for the fourth quarter.

VikingMike
09-01-2008, 11:02 AM
"PurpleTide" wrote:

Robison as well as Grigsby are going to be a big reason for any success we have keeping that d-line rotation strong and fresh. When Robison comes in I don't see us losing a step, and will keep Jared fresh for the fourth quarter.

Yeah, depth, experience and quality are not such bad things to have on the D line. See what the Giants did with it.

mountainviking
09-01-2008, 12:16 PM
Well, Chiller said we were a "wave rushing team," and that any DL players dressed would get time to keep them all fresh all game, so Robison should get some chances.
Otis played well too, but the question is, with Mitchell out, who spells Ray at LDE...seems to me, that we have a bunch of RDEs and no real run stopping LDEs behind Ray.
They said Wyms could play both, but we haven't seen that yet...or have we?
On third and long, sure, take a page from the Giants book and throw some extra DE/pass rush in there...but on third and shorts, we're going to want the starters...No?

Vikes_King
09-01-2008, 01:55 PM
Love the confidence.

Pat & Kevin are always competing with each other trying to get after the QB/ball carrier

Jared Allen basically tries to kill the QB on every play

Ray Edwards says he would love to take a run at Strahan's NFL single season sack record

Robison wants 10 sacks

Going to be a hell of a year to watch our DLine lol

VikingsTw
09-01-2008, 02:23 PM
30 Snaps a game might be too much, but I agree he needs to be in the rotation because teams will be gunning to wear down our ends in order to provide time in the passing game. Running the football against us just isn't gonna happen IMO. There best shot is to run a spread offense with a no huddle.

On a side note I recently recieved my Viking UpDate and they had a very nice article in there about Brian Robison. Everyone knows about his shot put ability and what he did in college but not alot of people understand the commitment it took in order to accomplish this.
In College Robison was a beast running a 6AM to 11PM regular schedule, performing both in football and track. This summer we had the olympics but Robison decided to focus his attention toward becoming a dominant DE. Leslie Fraiser also had some great comments, noting that he's coached several young DE's, Freeny being one and nobody has begun to perfect moves on a consistent bases like Robison already has. Frazier claims that Robison's lower body strength (Which he uses for shot-put) is amazing and he uses it to his advantage and gets great leverage.

I read the article before the Cowboy game then watched him dominate by getting consistent pressure. This was after 3 to 4 weeks off, needless to say I'm very exited to have Robison on the team and as we continue to draft and develop players we will have the opportunity to be an elite team.

jessejames09
09-01-2008, 02:48 PM
"VikingsTw" wrote:

30 Snaps a game might be too much, but I agree he needs to be in the rotation because teams will be gunning to wear down our ends in order to provide time in the passing game. Running the football against us just isn't gonna happen IMO. There best shot is to run a spread offense with a no huddle.

On a side note I recently recieved my Viking UpDate and they had a very nice article in there about Brian Robison. Everyone knows about his shot put ability and what he did in college but not alot of people understand the commitment it took in order to accomplish this.
In College Robison was a beast running a 6AM to 11PM regular schedule, performing both in football and track. This summer we had the olympics but Robison decided to focus his attention toward becoming a dominant DE. Leslie Fraiser also had some great comments, noting that he's coached several young DE's, Freeny being one and nobody has begun to perfect moves on a consistent bases like Robison already has. Frazier claims that Robison's lower body strength (Which he uses for shot-put) is amazing and he uses it to his advantage and gets great leverage.

I read the article before the Cowboy game then watched him dominate by getting consistent pressure. This was after 3 to 4 weeks off, needless to say I'm very exited to have Robison on the team and as we continue to draft and develop players we will have the opportunity to be an elite team.

That post got me re-pumped up about Robison.

marstc09
09-01-2008, 04:20 PM
I wish we had this depth at OT. It is going to be exciting to watch Allen, Edwards, Grigsby, and Robison. All big time players IMO.

Marrdro
09-02-2008, 10:54 AM
"VikingsTw" wrote:

It was a nice article.
Not sure how you got yours before the Dallas game. I just got mine last Mon I think.

Marrdro
09-02-2008, 10:58 AM
"mountainviking" wrote:

Well, Chiller said we were a "wave rushing team," and that any DL players dressed would get time to keep them all fresh all game, so Robison should get some chances.
Otis played well too, but the question is, with Mitchell out, who spells Ray at LDE...seems to me, that we have a bunch of RDEs and no real run stopping LDEs behind Ray.
They said Wyms could play both, but we haven't seen that yet...or have we?
On third and long, sure, take a page from the Giants book and throw some extra DE/pass rush in there...but on third and shorts, we're going to want the starters...No?

I saw Otis taking alot of reps on both sides, but it did seem to me that I saw him on the LDE spot alot during the Dallas game.
My guess is that Wyms will play a bit there as well.

69 Allen, Jared DE ACT 6'6" 270 4/3/1982 5 Idaho State
91 Edwards, Ray DE ACT 6'5" 268 1/1/1985 3 Purdue
73 Grigsby, Otis DE ACT 6'3" 260 11/19/1980 2 Kentucky
92 Mitchell, Jayme DE RES 6'6" 285 3/15/1984 3 Mississippi
97 Wyms, Ellis DE ACT 6'3" 290 4/12/1979 8 Mississippi State
96 Robison, Brian DE ACT 6'3" 259 4/28/1983 2 Texas

mountainviking
09-06-2008, 01:13 PM
I suppose I'm reaching a bit here...but, anybody else notice the similarities between Robison and Allen?
Both 4th round picks who were condsidered a bit undersized for NFL DE, but who continued to surprise due mostly to their intensity, tenacity, and that work ethic to never quit on a play!
With two more years experience, Robison learning from Allen and potentially putting on a couple of pounds as he matures/develops physically, I think there's a chance, that we have two beasts at RDE!!

IF Udeze and Mitchell come back healthy next year...?
Our DL will be even better!!

BAAAWOOOOOOOOOO!!!
Let the Purple People Eating Pass Rush Reign!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

;D