PDA

View Full Version : Horn logo

Red I 360
08-31-2008, 09:39 PM
Do you agree with me that the horn logo looks better than the Norseman? I would love to see them replace the Norseman logo with the horn in the middle of the field.
What do you think?

kevoncox
08-31-2008, 09:40 PM
No.I
like the Northsman

marstc09
08-31-2008, 09:42 PM
Nope. I love the norsman. They should put it on the helmet.

V4L
08-31-2008, 09:53 PM
Norseman all the way. Its badass

Red I 360
08-31-2008, 10:39 PM
The Norseman is the one thing I don't "love" about the Vikes. I can't really put my finger on it, but it doesn't look great. I mean, there's too much detail on that logo, that when you have a small logo, it looks cheesy. I live in Los Angeles, and out here all my friends make fun of the Norseman logo. I kind of agree with them. I think ESPN knows it aswell, as they always show the horn when talking about the Vikes instead of the Norseman. The horn is much more simple and looks WAY better. That's just my opinion...

hav0x
08-31-2008, 11:29 PM
The norseman logo needs to be updated/modernized. It's been pretty much unchanged since the vikings first season. They updated the horn on the helmets and the vikings script logo (the vikings text in the endzone) so why not the norseman?

I did some googling and found http://www.augie.edu/news/images/Ole_Head2.jpg which looks pretty cool.

At least we don't have something dumb like a star (cowboys) or text (giants) for a logo.

singersp
08-31-2008, 11:43 PM
The Norseman rocks! Leave it the fuck alone!

marstc09
08-31-2008, 11:50 PM
"hav0x" wrote:

The norseman logo needs to be updated/modernized. It's been pretty much unchanged since the vikings first season. They updated the horn on the helmets and the vikings script logo (the vikings text in the endzone) so why not the norseman?

I did some googling and found http://www.augie.edu/news/images/Ole_Head2.jpg which looks pretty cool.

At least we don't have something dumb like a star (cowboys) or text (giants) for a logo.

or a dumbass G on our helmet.

erik5032
09-01-2008, 12:10 AM
"marstc09" wrote:

"hav0x" wrote:

or a C

hav0x
09-01-2008, 12:17 AM
"erik5032" wrote:

"marstc09" wrote:

"hav0x" wrote:

or a C

The browns probably have the worst logo... a brown helmet.

ultravikingfan
09-01-2008, 12:42 AM
"hav0x" wrote:

"erik5032" wrote:

"marstc09" wrote:

"hav0x" wrote:

or a C

It's orange.
It has a white stripe w/ 2 browns stripes on the side of the whitr stripe.

Garland Greene
09-01-2008, 12:42 AM
"hav0x" wrote:

"erik5032" wrote:

"marstc09" wrote:

"hav0x" wrote:

or a C

Well they are the BROWNS duh? ;D

V4L
09-01-2008, 12:47 AM
I think it would look dumb as hell to have a horn in the middle of the field

HornedHat
09-01-2008, 02:23 AM
Well, I hope that if they change the Norseman, it's before they win a SB. Therefore, don't change it. I am committed to getting a Norseman tattoo ( a drunken vow I once made) when the Vikes finally win the danged 'Bigun'. I don't want it to be out of date. So win this year and keep the old guy.

i_bleed_purple
09-01-2008, 03:37 AM
I love em both, but i would hate the norseman on the helmet.
The norseman
should stay at midfield (i noticed sometimes they just have a V there instead)
and horn stays on the helmet.
How it should always be.

Zeus
09-01-2008, 07:20 AM
"Red" wrote:

Do you agree with me that the horn logo looks better than the Norseman? I would love to see them replace the Norseman logo with the horn in the middle of the field.
What do you think?

I believe it was the first game of the 2006 season where they had the new script "MV" at mid-field.
It looked awful.
A big horn at mid-field would also look awful.
Whatever you put out there has to fill the spot from all angles or it just plain looks bad.

The Norseman does just that.
It fills the spot at the 50 from all angles and looks good on TV.

And I like the Browns' helmets, too.
Classy.
Much better than say, the Seahawks.

=Z=

PurpleTide
09-01-2008, 11:16 AM
Don't mess with tradition fella's. I liked that new script MV, but like Zeus points out the Norseman fills that center line and gives the contrast needed. Old school will never die.

C Mac D
09-01-2008, 11:36 AM
"ultravikingfan" wrote:

"hav0x" wrote:

"erik5032" wrote:

"marstc09" wrote:

"hav0x" wrote:

or a C

It's orange.
It has a white stripe w/ 2 browns stripes on the side of the whitr stripe.

I, personally, love the Browns' helmets and uniforms. They are clean and old school.

erik5032
09-01-2008, 12:12 PM
i have always like the Browns uniforms... just like everyone is saying, classy. I even like when they put BROWNS on the side of the helmet.

HEY
09-01-2008, 12:37 PM
"hav0x" wrote:

The logo in the link was alright, but I would still go for the current logo. It may not be as flashy as... let's say the Titan's logo or the Falcons' logo, but I think the old skool look is nice.
I would be very pessimistic if we were to change the logo.

I would definitely not use the horns as our primary logo. For one, it's just TOO simple. And most importantly, it does not really has much to do with the Vikings cause most of them didn't were horns. However, I love the horns on the side of the helmets and I think it should stay that way. Sometimes, it looks like there is actual horns on the sides, and I have to admitt that the Vikes have the sweetest helmets in the NFL. HANDS DOWN!

If there is something bad I have to say about the norseman, it has to be the fact that he's white (Yes, I know it sounds silly!) Over half of the starters on the Vikings are black so it is kinda unfair that the man on the logo is white. So we make him black instead, but then it will be unfair for the white players.
It's quite a dilemma....
;D

Vikefan05
09-01-2008, 12:52 PM
Tradition in a world of constant change.
I like it.
It is nice to have something unchanged about our team.
Brings back memories of the first Purple People Eaters, and that proud era.

The Norse were white.

Interestingly enough, the Elizabeth City State University football team is also called the Vikings.
Their logo is a black Norseman.
It really isn't a black or white thing, just tradition.

i_bleed_purple
09-01-2008, 01:02 PM
"HEY" wrote:

"hav0x" wrote:

The logo in the link was alright, but I would still go for the current logo. It may not be as flashy as... let's say the Titan's logo or the Falcons' logo, but I think the old skool look is nice.

I would definitely not use the horns as our primary logo. For one, it's just TOO simple. And most importantly, it does not really has much to do with the Vikings cause most of them didn't were horns. However, I love the horns on the side of the helmets and I think it should stay that way. Sometimes, it looks like there is actual horns on the sides, and I have to admitt that the Vikes have the sweetest helmets in the NFL. HANDS DOWN!

If there is something bad I have to say about the norseman, it has to be the fact that he's white (Yes, I know it sounds silly!) Over half of the starters on the Vikings are black so it is kinda unfair that the man on the logo is white. So we make him black instead, but then it will be unfair for the white players.
It's quite a dilemma....
;D

I agree with vikefan05, its tradition.
Vikings were traditionally from Norway, and norweigans were traditionally (and still mostly are) white.
Nothing against black people (or any others for that matter), but changing the colour of the skin of a traditional logo, just because the majority of players are black, would be dumb.

V4L
09-01-2008, 01:04 PM
I dont like that logo in the link.. Idk why but maybe its just cuz the old one to me is all I know

mountainviking
09-01-2008, 01:19 PM
Keep the horns on the helmet!!
Keep the norseman on the field!!
Sorry brothers, but the Vikings were white.
If we were the panthers, or the warriors, or ????? maybe, go black and not back
;)

HEY
09-01-2008, 02:16 PM
"i_bleed_purple" wrote:

"HEY" wrote:

"hav0x" wrote:

It's quite a dilemma....
;D

Vikings were traditionally from Norway, and norweigans were traditionally (and still mostly are) white.
Nothing against black people (or any others for that matter), but changing the colour of the skin of a traditional logo, just because the majority of players are black, would be dumb.

I was just kidding around. Of course we shouldn't change the color of the norseman. That would be stupid!! Did you not see the
;D at the end of my post
;) )

Not all of the vikings were from Norway, many of them were from the other two Skandinavian countries; Sweden and Denmark. Skandinavia consists of exactly those three countries. They call it Skandinavia because the three countries has (nearly) the same language (a Norwegian would understand Danish and Swedish as well as an American would understand e.g. English and Australian) and the three countries has a lot more in common (like culture, history, ethnicity... etc. etc.)

PS: All the vikings were white, and the Norwegians were traditionally white.

singersp
09-01-2008, 02:21 PM
"HEY" wrote:

"i_bleed_purple" wrote:

"HEY" wrote:

"hav0x" wrote:

It's quite a dilemma....
;D

I was just kidding around. Of course we shouldn't change the color of the norseman. That would be stupid!! Did you not see the
;D at the end of my post
;) )

Not all of the vikings were from Norway, many of them were from the other two Skandinavian countries; Sweden and Denmark. Skandinavia consists of exactly those three countries. They call it Skandinavia because the three countries has (nearly) the same language (a Norwegian would understand Danish and Swedish as well as an American would understand e.g. English and Australian) and the three countries has a lot more in common (like culture, history, ethnicity... etc. etc.)

PS: All the vikings were white, and the Norwegians were traditionally white.

http://i2.ebayimg.com/08/i/000/e5/e5/98f4_1_b.JPG

Vikes_King
09-01-2008, 02:28 PM
"HEY" wrote:

"hav0x" wrote:

It's quite a dilemma....
;D

lol.... unfair to the players depending on what race the Norseman is?
Thats ridiculous

The Vikings are from Scandinavia and were most prolific around 790 thru the late 1060's.

How many black Vikings do you think there were?
It has nothing to do about the players on the team, but the heritage of the actual Vikings, and the heritage of many of the people in this region.

BadlandsVikings
09-01-2008, 02:36 PM
Keep the Norseman

TxViking
09-01-2008, 03:02 PM
I'm for leaving well enough alone - maybe remove the cheer leaders though, too much of a distraction :o

YogidAbEAR
09-01-2008, 03:44 PM
leave the norseman on the field and the horns on the helmet.

ultravikingfan
09-01-2008, 04:12 PM
I think we need to make the Norseman "bi-gender".
That way it would appeal to both sexes.

Vikefan05
09-01-2008, 04:14 PM
Hey!
It's Pat!
(obscure reference to the old Saturday Night Live skits; not our nose tackle!)

BadlandsVikings
09-01-2008, 04:35 PM
"ultravikingfan" wrote:

So are you saying the Norsman should look like Richard Simmons?

Vikes_King
09-01-2008, 04:39 PM
"BadlandsViking" wrote:

"ultravikingfan" wrote:

So are you saying the Norsman should look like Richard Simmons?

bite your tongue

HuffMental
09-01-2008, 05:00 PM
The Norseman dude is classic, and I wouldn't change it.

HornedHat
09-01-2008, 08:40 PM
Interestingly enough, for all those folks who have toyed with the idea that the Norseman should be black as a better representation of the racial make-up of the actual team, there is this: It is my understanding that the historical Vikings referred to black folks as the ' Blue People'. They perceived black skin color as bluish in tint. Therefore, a blue Norseman would be more appropriate. The Norseman logo is largely purple. Close enough to Blue, in my opinion, to just leave it as is and say it IS ALREADY representative of the team's racial make-up.

lukeshkin
09-01-2008, 09:19 PM
leave the norseman on the field and our helmets are the best in the league. i do think they should change the endzone script. to me it doesn't really stand out enough i think they should do he purple script with a yellow outline or maybe have a purple endzone with yellow writing. that might be possible after the twins leave though.

AKViking
09-02-2008, 06:23 AM
Gotta keep the horns and the Norseman.

I started liking the Vikings back in the early '70s because I liked the horns on the helmet, I was four. Sweet look, strong and bold without being gaudy. Gaudy="the Flaming Tack" logo of the titans. :-X Yuk!!! But then there's the Dolphins helmet LMAO. Nothing instills fear in your opponent like a water mammal wearing a poorly fitting football helmet. :D

Back to the Norseman. I have a black sweatshirt that I bought at the game when Fuad Revaiz (sp?) set the then record for most consecutive FGs. The front has Minnesota in gold cursive letters, with large shadow-stenciled 'Vikings' in purple below; just below that is the Norseman. I also have a 35 year, 1961-1995 patch with the Norseman on it sewn to the back. Looks awesome! I only wear it on Game day, if I'm not wearing my Moss or Peterson jersey.

HEY
09-02-2008, 08:02 AM
"HornedHat" wrote:

Interestingly enough, for all those folks who have toyed with the idea that the Norseman should be black as a better representation of the racial make-up of the actual team, there is this: It is my understanding that the historical Vikings referred to black folks as the ' Blue People'. They perceived black skin color as bluish in tint. Therefore, a blue Norseman would be more appropriate. The Norseman logo is largely purple. Close enough to Blue, in my opinion, to just leave it as is and say it IS ALREADY representative of the team's racial make-up.

LOL! that is actually correct. The vikings used to call Africans for "Bluemen", but I'm not shure if it was because they thought they had a blue skin color. I think it was because the Vikings used the same name for the both blue and black colors (but I'm not shure)

Anyways... good point!
:)