PDA

View Full Version : Dontarrious Thomas on the market

COJOMAY
08-31-2008, 08:48 PM
http://blogs.startribune.com/vikingsblog/?p=1871

The former Vikings linebacker was cut by San Francisco after the 49ers signed linebacker Ahmad Brooks. Brooks was released by Cincinnati on Saturday.

Thomas was a second-round pick by the Vikings out of Auburn in 2004 and spent his first four seasons with the organization. It will be interesting to see if the Vikings have any interest in him. There are two reasons Minnesota might consider Thomas...

VikingsTw
08-31-2008, 08:54 PM
Talent but no Instincts.

DustinDupont
08-31-2008, 08:56 PM
i would sign him in a heart beat and cut herron

marstc09
08-31-2008, 08:57 PM
He has to be a better option compared to Herron

VikingsTw
08-31-2008, 09:02 PM
Thomas will never see another day as a Viking under Brad Childress.

Garland Greene
08-31-2008, 09:11 PM
Don't be surprised if it happens. Rememebr there was talk about a LB that the Vikes had a eye on.
He is familair wioth the defense. can play special teams, and can back up all 3 positions. We are talking about someone 3who would be a back up and special teams contributor. So why not.

skum
08-31-2008, 09:11 PM
"DustinDupont" wrote:

i would sign him in a heart beat and cut herron

I was thinking the same thing, at least offer him league minimum and see what happens..

V4L
08-31-2008, 09:23 PM
Sign him back. I was sad to see him go

DustinDupont
08-31-2008, 09:32 PM
"VikingsTw" wrote:

Thomas will never see another day as a Viking under Brad Childress.

y is that?

he can play all three line backer positions and special teams

marstc09
08-31-2008, 09:39 PM
Who is really backing up EJ anyways? This might be the guy we have been eyeing.

PurplePeopleEaters
09-01-2008, 01:17 AM
This would make up for the Farwell loss in a lot of ways. I was sad to see Dontarrious go in the first place. He's become a much better ST player of the years for us, just never got his play up to starting LB caliber.

i_bleed_purple
09-01-2008, 03:40 AM
I'd be all for it.
Only downfall would be it cuts out of Erins playing time, but DT is a better player right now.

mountainviking
09-01-2008, 12:54 PM
I always liked this kid.
I was surprised to see him cut...I really thought he'd make the 9ers as a starting LB in their 3-4.
I'd happily take him back!
As stated, he's ST, and can play all three LB spots!
When EJ got hurt (or was it Biekert?) he came in as a rookie, played MLB and racked up over 10 tackles his first game.

Of course, the question becomes, who goes????

gamecocksbaseball31
09-01-2008, 01:06 PM
I was also sad and its better than Herron!

tb04512
09-01-2008, 01:09 PM
Sign him he knows the defense can backup all 3 LB spots and is a ST stud.. come back Donta!! and they could cut Herron to make it happen!

V4L
09-01-2008, 01:24 PM
PLEASE!!!

VikingsTw
09-01-2008, 02:03 PM
Dontarius Thomas was a guy drafted in a string of LB's from the Mike Tice era. I thought he was a guy with alot of pure talent, he always seemed to be making Tackles but after the defender already beat him. On specail teams I thought he was nothing specail but a body. With the current players on our roster and some of the ones we recently let go there is no reason to hit any panic button to bring Thomas back. For one thing we let Thomas go (Which I agreed with), had we wanted him to return or felt he could help us chances are he would have returned. Not only did we let him go but the 49ers just cut him, guess he couldn't beat anyone out. Why in the world would we want to invite Thomas back on our squad? We just let Rufus Alexander go and he had a good preseason, he also showed more explosiveness and intincts than Thomas ever displayed.

Herron is a guy who obviously flashed and they've decided to keep him and develop him. I'm satisfied with the current roster, if we sign Dontarius I would consider it a mistake the exact same way I felt when the 49ers signed him.

AKViking
09-02-2008, 04:47 AM
"marstc09" wrote:

Who is really backing up EJ anyways? This might be the guy we have been eyeing.

I'd venture to say "Lil E" Henderson is the guy they are grooming to back up his bro. He sure looked damn good for an undrafted rookie FA. One game, Steelers or Dallas can't remember which, he seemed to be everywhere making plays. Even late when you could tell he was gasping for air he still dropped the hammer on some guys. 8)

LuckyVike
09-02-2008, 04:56 AM
"VikingsTw" wrote:

Dontarius Thomas was a guy drafted in a string of LB's from the Mike Tice era. I thought he was a guy with alot of pure talent, he always seemed to be making Tackles but after the defender already beat him. On specail teams I thought he was nothing specail but a body. With the current players on our roster and some of the ones we recently let go there is no reason to hit any panic button to bring Thomas back. For one thing we let Thomas go (Which I agreed with), had we wanted him to return or felt he could help us chances are he would have returned. Not only did we let him go but the 49ers just cut him, guess he couldn't beat anyone out. Why in the world would we want to invite Thomas back on our squad? We just let Rufus Alexander go and he had a good preseason, he also showed more explosiveness and intincts than Thomas ever displayed.

Herron is a guy who obviously flashed and they've decided to keep him and develop him. I'm satisfied with the current roster, if we sign Dontarius I would consider it a mistake the exact same way I felt when the 49ers signed him.

Couldn't agree more... Thomas had his shot with us and fell short of what was expected.
I would rather hold onto young talent and give it a chance than fall back on what we've already seen.

kevoncox
10-15-2008, 06:12 PM
Did anyone talk about us signing Thomas?

C Mac D
10-15-2008, 06:20 PM
"kevoncox" wrote:

Did anyone talk about us signing Thomas?

There were a couple threads about it yesterday, if I recall correctly.