PDA

View Full Version : Why the Vikings Will/Won’t Win The Super Bowl

singersp
08-25-2008, 05:29 AM
Why the Minnesota Vikings Will/Won’t Win The Super Bowl (http://mvn.com/outsider/2008/08/24/why-the-minnesota-vikings-willwont-win-the-super-bowl/)

By Brad Berreman
mvn.com

August 24th, 2008

I will outline three reasons why the Minnesota Vikings will and won’t win the Super Bowl this season.

Without further ado, here’s three reasons why the Vikings will win this year’s Super Bowl:

StillPurple
08-25-2008, 12:33 PM
My three:

Reasons we will win it:

- The line: O-line and D-line are dominant and can just wear teams out
- Running game: Peterson + Taylor. Nuff said. (when the weather turns bad in January, we can just pound the rock and wear teams out).

- Pro Bowlers: A great combination of age and youth. You have the older guys (P.Williams, Sharper, etc.) along with a lot of younger guys. There are the required 6-7 Pro Bowlers (re Bill Walsh) who you need to get a ring (AP, Hutchinson, Birk, P.Williams, Allen, K.Williams, Winfield).

Reasons we won't win it:
- We will be out-coached in critical playoff games / bad play calling / inability to unstack the box so that our RBs can operate in space in critical games, or: offense too predictable. Scenario: we get up against a pass-happy team in the NFC playoffs and they get up by 13 and we cannot engineer two passing drives in a row because we are a "run-oriented offense".

- Not enough underneath passing game (lack of a viable tight end)
- Tarvaris (either getting injured or throwing bad picks)

C Mac D
08-25-2008, 12:37 PM
We won't win it because of Childress and Bevell's playcalling.

But... we are winning it, because we're fucking awesome.

StillPurple
08-25-2008, 12:42 PM
My problem with this team is not can we win if we are ahead. My problem is, what do we do against some team that loves to throw the ball (Colts, Pats, Saints, Cowboys) and they get ahead and then they force the game into a "throwing contest". I really just don't think that Tarvaris can hang with Brees or Brady or Peyton Manning or Bulger or Hasselbeck in that scenario.

I hope I am wrong and we can do that, but I really have my doubts.

C Mac D
08-25-2008, 12:43 PM
"StillPurple" wrote:

My problem with this team is not can we win if we are ahead. My problem is, what do we do against some team that loves to throw the ball (Colts, Pats, Saints, Cowboys) and they get ahead and then they force the game into a "throwing contest". I really just don't think that Tarvaris can hang with Brees or Brady or Peyton Manning or Bulger or Hasselbeck in that scenario.

Their names are Jared Allen, Brian Robison and Ray Edwards

El Vikingo
08-25-2008, 01:05 PM
We will win it cause we are the dominant force in the entire NFL on the ground,off and def.
We will win it cause we have the best off and defensive player on the NFL .AD and JA.

We won´t cause the opp will schedule 9 out of 10 pass plays against our weaks CB.
We won´t cause
the bend don´t break philosohphy is not for winners.

gamecocksbaseball31
08-25-2008, 04:48 PM
"StillPurple" wrote:

Bugler?
I know he is a pretty good passer but their line is going through a huge rebuilding stage and I don't think they will even make the playoffs.
With Hasselbeck, yes he is decent but he can definitely be stopped.
He doesn't deserve to be in the ranks of Brady, Manning, and Brees.
Plus his 2 of his top 3 WR's are hurt right now.

midgensa
08-25-2008, 05:24 PM
"StillPurple" wrote:

Wow ... for the first time ever I think I share your sentiments.
While I am not worried about "throwing with blah blah blah blah" I am very worried about our team falling into a 10-point or larger hole in any game.
I don't know if we have the firepower to get back into it, even with a defense that should give us some opportunities.
That said ... I don't think we will find ourselves too far behind too many times this season because of our defense and ball-control offense that should be fairly affective.

V-Unit
08-25-2008, 05:57 PM
"midgensa" wrote:

"StillPurple" wrote:

Wow ... for the first time ever I think I share your sentiments.
While I am not worried about "throwing with blah blah blah blah" I am very worried about our team falling into a 10-point or larger hole in any game.
I don't know if we have the firepower to get back into it, even with a defense that should give us some opportunities.
That said ... I don't think we will find ourselves too far behind too many times this season because of our defense and ball-control offense that should be fairly affective.

Obviously we are not an offense that can come back from large deficits, but we also are not a defense that gives up quick scores, which lead to large deficits in the first place.

If we are down by 14 in the 1st quarter, you are going to blame our offense for not being able to come back? I think that would be on the defense.

Then again, knowing our team, the only way we find ourselves down by such margins are if the offense committed a bad turnover and gave the D a short field.

Either way I have faith in two things:
1. Our offense is better than last year. They will take much better care of the ball, and be able to grind out close games.
2. Our defense is better than last year. They force offenses to pass, and passing often is not something that can be sustained on long drives.

NodakPaul
08-25-2008, 06:02 PM
"V" wrote:

Either way I have faith in two things:
1. Our offense is better than last year. They will take much better care of the ball, and be able to grind out close games.
2. Our defense is better than last year. They force offenses to pass, and passing often is not something that can be sustained on long drives.

+1

Vikefan05
08-25-2008, 06:13 PM
It seems like we are putting together some nice long drives that end in scores.
Good to see

Overlord
08-25-2008, 08:23 PM
We will win it all if we get lucky.

We won't win if we don't.

The Vikings are a pretty good team, but so many things need to go right for you to win it all that it's largely a crap shoot.
Even assuming you're as good as any other team in the NFL and you get a bye, you still have only about a 13% chance to win three games against good competition and take home the trophy.

Prophet
08-26-2008, 09:40 AM
"StillPurple" wrote:

Especially if you ignore the fact that the coaching staff has put together a D-line and some DEs with the intent of putting more pressure on the QB.
Seems like that happened to Brady last year in the SB, lot of pressure and the high powered offense faltered.
Tarvaris is but one man on the squad.
I highly doubt that there is a single member of the Vikings' coaching staff (including the ballboy), that thinks Tarvaris would win in a shootout with Brady or Manning.
Just a crazy guess here, but I bet there would be a different gameplan.

C Mac D
08-26-2008, 09:42 AM
"Prophet" wrote:

"StillPurple" wrote:

Especially if you ignore the fact that the coaching staff has put together a D-line and some DEs with the intent of putting more pressure on the QB.
Seems like that happened to Brady last year in the SB, lot of pressure and the high powered offense faltered.
Tarvaris is but one man on the squad.
I highly doubt that there is a single member of the Vikings' coaching staff (including the ballboy), that thinks Tarvaris would win in a shootout with Brady or Manning.
Just a crazy guess here, but I bet there would be a different gameplan.

He may not outshoot Brady or Manning, but he can definitely evade the rush better than either of those guys.

StillPurple
08-26-2008, 05:50 PM
Huh ? In 2007, Tarvaris' means of evading the rush was to break from his blockers and run downfield (leading to injuries).

In that scenario, Tom Brady feels the pressure, takes two small steps to avoid it for 1 second, and then hits his (now open) check-down slot receiver, or tight end.

I can't believe you claimed that T-Jacks beats Brady in pocket movement and evasion.

Dude, no offense, and I don't mean to jump all over you, but QB movement has to do with stepping around in the pocket to evade pressure, not blindly running downfield like a halfback.

VikingsTw
08-26-2008, 08:26 PM
"StillPurple" wrote:

Huh ? In 2007, Tarvaris' means of evading the rush was to break from his blockers and run downfield (leading to injuries).

In that scenario, Tom Brady feels the pressure, takes two small steps to avoid it for 1 second, and then hits his (now open) check-down slot receiver, or tight end.

I can't believe you claimed that T-Jacks beats Brady in pocket movement and evasion.

Dude, no offense, and I don't mean to jump all over you, but QB movement has to do with stepping around in the pocket to evade pressure, not blindly running downfield like a halfback.

Tarvaris took some hits and had some injuries but that doesn't change the fact that his pocket pressence is developing, after that his intincts take over as he's already proved he's exellent at avoiding sacks. I think its important to take a look at some of the QB's who have lined up under Center the past 2 to 3 years. Most of those individuals were not mobile and took a beating in the pocket. Several times Tarvaris made a sack into a no gainer or a gainer, I'm glad to have a QB that can get that done.

I don't know that Tom Brady is better than Tarvaris in terms of evading sacks. First off you need to take a look at the naturaul abilty, Tarvaris runs a 4.54 40 and brench presses like a LB. Not only is faster on his feet but he's way stronger and able to overcome a grip. Tom Brady may be better at sliding in the pocket but anything outside of that is unusual as his offensive line takes very good care of him and when they don't we know what it looks like.

Blindly running down field? Anytime Tarvaris gets out of the pocket he's a threat, not only is he faster than LB's he's just as strong and he can make someone miss. Would we like to see him become a smarter scrambler? Absolutly.