PDA

View Full Version : Current underrated Vikes

StillPurple
08-20-2008, 11:38 PM
I want to talk here about guys who people don't talk about, but who do the small things that turn into big things. I am talking about guys like Jim Kleinsasser, and Robert Ferguson. Guys who make great blocks, but hardly ever get the recognition. Please add to this as you see fit...

gregair13
08-20-2008, 11:54 PM
Erin Henderson.

singersp
08-21-2008, 05:12 AM
Heath Farwell

Marrdro
08-21-2008, 08:35 AM
OTIS OTIS OTIS.
;D

seaniemck7
08-21-2008, 08:55 AM
Tapeh.
He is gonna be a stud for us.

erik5032
08-21-2008, 09:22 AM
Jim Kleinsasser by far.

Prophet
08-21-2008, 09:23 AM
Douzable.
He will rise from the ashes.

erik5032
08-21-2008, 09:31 AM
Speaking from the NFL Perspective I believe our entire Linebacking core is underrated. I mean how does E.J. Henderson not become a first string pro bowler last year?

ThorSPL
08-21-2008, 02:22 PM
I think Leber is the most under-rated person on our defense.

Offensively.... hard to say

Kluwe may be THE most under-rated... he could be a pro-bowler any given year.

StillPurple
08-21-2008, 02:25 PM
I agree that Leber is underrated. I also think that Antwoine Winfield is maybe underrated, because although we do talk about him, he is all over the field and in on almost every play. He also almost never blows a tackle (unlike many NFL corners). I agree that E.J. is also underrated.

People talk about our supposedly bad pass defense, but the reality is that when our corners get a shot at the ballcarrier, they almost never blow the tackle.

jessejames09
08-21-2008, 02:29 PM
EJ - most people don't consider him to be one of the best in the league
Griffin - people blame him for way too much, great physical corner and makes a lot of plays
Berrian - i don't think people are expecting much from him, but imagine if troy williamson could catch. Those 60 yard plays roll up the stats pretty fast.
and some others already named

i_bleed_purple
08-21-2008, 02:41 PM
"erik5032" wrote:

Speaking from the NFL Perspective I believe our entire Linebacking core is underrated. I mean how does E.J. Henderson not become a first string pro bowler last year?

because Patrick Willis was first string pro bowler.
How does patrick Willis not become first string pro bowler?
that guys a beast.
As much as I like EJ,
You have to step back and look at the big picture, Willis had a sensational rookie year.
The backup was Tatupu, who, in another post a while back, I compared stats, and him and EJ had very similar stats.
It would be hard, from an unbiased point of view, to pick EJ over Tatupu, add in the fact that Tatupu was with the superbowl winning Colts, so he has the name recognition. he's a tough one to beat out.

StillPurple
08-21-2008, 02:54 PM
I was thinking that too. There are just a lot of good linebackers in the NFL. BTW, I watched Zack Thomas play last week for the Dallas "Cows", and he looks very good.

marstc09
08-21-2008, 02:56 PM
"Marrdro" wrote:

OTIS OTIS OTIS.

;D

+1 and Letroy Guion

huxx
08-21-2008, 03:12 PM
Ej's is often overlooked by the rest of the league

midgensa
08-21-2008, 03:16 PM
"i_bleed_purple" wrote:

"erik5032" wrote:

that guys a beast.
As much as I like EJ,
You have to step back and look at the big picture, Willis had a sensational rookie year.
The backup was Tatupu, who, in another post a while back, I compared stats, and him and EJ had very similar stats.
It would be hard, from an unbiased point of view, to pick EJ over Tatupu, add in the fact that Tatupu was with the superbowl winning Colts, so he has the name recognition. he's a tough one to beat out.

Uh ... Tatupu is a Seahawk.
That aside. Yes Tatupu and Willis are better linebackers than EJ and deserved to go. Although, they still could have made room for EJ on the roster. He definitely should have been there over Lance Briggs last season ... and could have been there over Greg Ellis as well. He is also very close to Peterson. They don't really pick LB's based on Middle, Right and Left ... so that should not have hurt his case too much.
He is definitely underrated and definitely could find himself in Hawaii this season.

Purple Floyd
08-21-2008, 03:39 PM
Birk. He is the main cog in this spacely sprocket.

i_bleed_purple
08-21-2008, 03:47 PM
"midgensa" wrote:

"i_bleed_purple" wrote:

"erik5032" wrote:

that guys a beast.
As much as I like EJ,

Uh ... Tatupu is a Seahawk.
That aside. Yes Tatupu and Willis are better linebackers than EJ and deserved to go. Although, they still could have made room for EJ on the roster. He definitely should have been there over Lance Briggs last season ... and could have been there over Greg Ellis as well. He is also very close to Peterson. They don't really pick LB's based on Middle, Right and Left ... so that should not have hurt his case too much.
He is definitely underrated and definitely could find himself in Hawaii this season.

my bad, I thought Tatupu was a colt 2 years ago.
I must have been thinking of someone else.
and yes, they do pick LB's based on position, as if you had 3 MLB's starting, they would get destroyed.

If anything, I think Birk is overrated.
He hasn't had a truly great season in about 2 or 3 years now, and I think both he and Sharper got voted in just on name alone.

dcboardr41
08-21-2008, 04:18 PM
Ben Leber
Rick Ross aka Anthony Herrera
EJ
Antoine
Chester Taylor

gamecocksbaseball31
08-21-2008, 04:32 PM
Cedric Griffin
Brian Robison
Darren Sharper
Robert Ferguson
Matt Birk
Anthony Herrera = the man and yes he is underrated also!

StillPurple
08-21-2008, 11:52 PM
Cedric Griffin needs more experience and he needs to press the WR on the LOS in the Cover 2 more.

i_bleed_purple
08-22-2008, 12:34 AM
"gamecocksbaseball31" wrote:

Cedric Griffin
Brian Robison
Darren Sharper
Robert Ferguson
Matt Birk

again, I can't see how anyone could possibly find Matt Birk or Darren Sharper to be Underrated?
Both have been to many pro bowls, and at one point had been regarded as the top 3 at their position.
They're getting up there in age, and their play has declined a bit because of it.
If anything they are overrated, since they both only got in to the pro bowl because of their name alone.

The Dropper
08-22-2008, 12:35 AM
Herrera!

Had what I thought was a breakout season last year, but no one outside of this website and the Vikings' coaching staff seemed to notice. Mark my words, if he plays this year like he did last year, people will notice. I think he's one more year (as in 2010) away from the Pro Bowl.

i_bleed_purple
08-22-2008, 12:36 AM
Peterson will dictate whether or not he gets in the pro bowl.
If Peterson can top 1600 yards and 13 tds for 2 years in a row, then sure, I can see him there, however, if he only has decent to mediocre seasons 1000-1300 yds, <10 tds, then no way he makes it.
Add in a suspect passing game, and i just can't see it.

singersp
08-22-2008, 03:56 AM
"gamecocksbaseball31" wrote:

Cedric Griffin
Brian Robison
Darren Sharper
Robert Ferguson
Matt Birk

Cedric Griffin is over rated, not under rated.

singersp
08-22-2008, 03:59 AM
The mere non-mention of Farwell by members here proves to me he is under rated.

jkjuggalo
08-22-2008, 04:05 AM
LS Cullen Loeffler and K Ryan Longwell...both are super consistent.

Also will throw in Charles Gordon, Bernard Berrian, and Sidney Rice, who I think is going to have a breakout year.

singersp
08-22-2008, 05:00 AM
"jkjuggalo" wrote:

Also will throw in Charles Gordon, Bernard Berrian, and Sidney Rice, who I think is going to have a breakout year.

??? How can Berrian be under rated when he has played less than 1/2 of a game as a Viking?
:-

Marrdro
08-22-2008, 07:01 AM
"StillPurple" wrote:

Cedric Griffin needs more experience and he needs to press the WR on the LOS in the Cover 2 more.

He's got plenty of experience now and to press more he would have to go play for a team the employs a scheme were thier CB's press and not play soft cover 2 zones. ;D

MinnesotaFury
08-22-2008, 09:47 AM
I agree as far as Farwell goes.
People are excited here about Erin Henderson making the team and all, but they also need to understand that with the loss of Farwell for the year, we will likely take a nice hit on special teams.

Farwell plays one of the most, if not THE most, underrated position in the NFL as a Special Teamer.
He is in the top 3 in the NFL at his position.

---

Brian Robison is another player who I think holds a great amount of value to this team.
He had 4.5 sacks in a very limited role.
At this time next year, he won't be so underrated however as he's now relieving Jared Allen.

---

Robert Ferguson continues to be our most underrated wide receiver.
He's not in on every play, but when he's in he makes the most of it.
He was one of our best receivers last year and was a great downfield blocker.

---

Ryan Longwell doesn't receive as much support as he should either.
He has been great these past few years and has bailed us out in some crazy situations (Chicago last year).

---

Anyone else really happy we still have Chris Kluwe?

jessejames09
08-22-2008, 10:08 AM
"singersp" wrote:

"jkjuggalo" wrote:

??? How can Berrian be under rated when he has played less than 1/2 of a game as a Viking?
:-\

He's played a tonne of games for Chicago though.

gamecocksbaseball31
08-22-2008, 11:00 AM
"singersp" wrote:

The mere non-mention of Farwell by members here proves to me he is under rated.

We all know what Farwell is capable of... We know he is a stud.
He has been mentioned numerous times as one of the best special teams players in the league...
He is getting recognition.
Now he's waiting to get a shot at starting LB...
That is why I didn't mention him.

Purple Floyd
08-22-2008, 11:32 AM
Childress.

He is the greatest coach in the History of the NFL and even many Vikings fans don't realize it yet. That has to be underrated.

funkyasflea
08-22-2008, 12:02 PM
Jimmy K of course!
Been my favorite player since I started watching football.
He gets down and dirty.
Makes the blocks.
Makes solid receptions.
AND he had the first reception of this season in the first game.
You best believe I was jumping all over the place with my #40 jersey on when he nabbed that one.

BloodyHorns82
08-22-2008, 12:33 PM
"UffDaVikes" wrote:

Childress.

He is the greatest coach in the History of the NFL and even many Vikings fans don't realize it yet. That has to be underrated.

I totally agree.

MaxVike
08-22-2008, 12:40 PM
In order of underation
:-\:
Leber
Kleinny
Winfield
Furgie

I think the one thing that the above list of people have in common is that they are all "football players."
What does that mean?
Well, IMO, they are versatile enough to handle multiple tasks and be more than competent at them all.
Is Leber the best OLB?
Is Kleinny the best TE?
Is Winfield the best CB?
Furgie the best WR?
No, no, no, no...however, they are all integral parts of the Team.
Vikes fans know and appreciate their value because we see their contribution more closely.
Leber and Winfield are big contributors to the run defense and are leaders.
Kleinny at the point of attack is a devastating force.
Furgie was downfield blocking on several long runs last year.

jkjuggalo
08-24-2008, 03:41 PM
"jessejames09" wrote:

"singersp" wrote:

"jkjuggalo" wrote:

:-\

He's played a tonne of games for Chicago though.

What he said.
But I would also add that in Chicago BB had Rex Grossman, Kyle Orton, and Brian Griese throwing the ball to him.
He also had virtually no running game to support the pass, yet BB put up career numbers.
That is why I think he is underrated.
But you're right, he has not done anything as a Viking yet.

StillPurple
08-24-2008, 04:06 PM
True.

I think that there is huge upside for BB.

At the same time, I also wish we had more of an underneath receiver, in the Chris Carter mold, rather than two guys who run deep patterns.

duvaldomo
08-24-2008, 05:08 PM
Erin henderson.

I mean its not even a sure thing he will be on the roster this year, and he is a stud

jkjuggalo
08-24-2008, 05:31 PM
"StillPurple" wrote:

True.

I think that there is huge upside for BB.

At the same time, I also wish we had more of an underneath receiver, in the Chris Carter mold, rather than two guys who run deep patterns.

Which 2 guys are you talking about?
Rice and Wade have been primarily dink and dunk receivers from what I've seen.
BB is the guy that was brought in to do the job TWill couldn't, catch the deep ball.
I'm thinking Rice may be rapidly developing into the Carter-esque mold that you so desire.

COJOMAY
08-24-2008, 05:37 PM
"UffDaVikes" wrote:

Childress.

Ya, ya. Wait until he cuts your favorite player and you'll be chanting "Fire Childress" just like th rest of the dummies on here!
;D