PDA

View Full Version : Childress serious about letting reporters take part in a 9-on-7...

NodakPaul
08-20-2008, 08:07 AM
http://blogs.startribune.com/vikingsblog/

Childress, slightly amused and mildly annoyed by how the media portrayed his training-camp practices as not being very physical, challenged a member of the press to take part in a 9-on-7 inside running drill. This challenge came while the Vikings were in Mankato.

While I did throw out Mark Craig’s name at the time, Childress evidently didn’t hear me because on Tuesday he said no one had accepted or nominated someone for the challenge. And then Childress said a freelance journalist from New Jersey had faxed in a letter and wanted to participate in a practice.

Craig, to his credit, first asked what type of contract he would get if he accepted and then said he would have to check with the people who run his front office — actually, just his wife — to see if he could give it a go. Meanwhile, it sounds as if Alexander Alperin of Upper Saddle River, N.J., has some publications interested in buying his story about what it would be like to practice with the Vikings. One word comes to mind Alexander: painful.

Sounds like he really does want some local media types to take part in a practice to show them how "easy" the team has had it...
That's awesome!

Marrdro
08-20-2008, 08:41 AM
The hacks might actually learn something about the game they cover.
Well, maybe.
::)

jargomcfargo
08-20-2008, 08:48 AM
"NodakPaul" wrote:

Childress, slightly amused and mildly annoyed by how the media portrayed his training-camp practices as not being very physical, challenged a member of the press to take part in a 9-on-7 inside running drill. This challenge came while the Vikings were in Mankato.

While I did throw out Mark Craig’s name at the time, Childress evidently didn’t hear me because on Tuesday he said no one had accepted or nominated someone for the challenge. And then Childress said a freelance journalist from New Jersey had faxed in a letter and wanted to participate in a practice.

Craig, to his credit, first asked what type of contract he would get if he accepted and then said he would have to check with the people who run his front office — actually, just his wife — to see if he could give it a go. Meanwhile, it sounds as if Alexander Alperin of Upper Saddle River, N.J., has some publications interested in buying his story about what it would be like to practice with the Vikings. One word comes to mind Alexander: painful.

Sounds like he really does want some local media types to take part in a practice to show them how "easy" the team has had it...
That's awesome!

He'll be going after the PP.O folks next. I nominate you and Marrdro!
:)

Zeus
08-20-2008, 08:50 AM
"jargomcfargo" wrote:

"NodakPaul" wrote:

That's awesome!

Marrdro is a great nomination.
And Ned - but only if he can bring his cane.

=Z=

Marrdro
08-20-2008, 09:01 AM
"jargomcfargo" wrote:

"NodakPaul" wrote:

That's awesome!

The difference between me and the hacks is that I know something about football and know that I am not good enough to play.

They on the other hand probably have never even played sandlot ball and think they can play.
;D

jargomcfargo
08-20-2008, 09:11 AM
"Marrdro" wrote:

"jargomcfargo" wrote:

"NodakPaul" wrote:

That's awesome!

The difference between me and the hacks is that I know something about football and know that I am not good enough to play.

They on the other hand probably have never even played sandlot ball and think they can play.

;D

LOL! The truth has been spoken.
I loved seeing that little guy from the NFL network trying to throw or punt a football. Adam Shefter or something like that I think. Hillarious.
I also get a charge out of watching boxing announcers who haven't been in a fight since some girl beat them up in the third grade. Real credibility.

VikingMike
08-20-2008, 09:16 AM
"jargomcfargo" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

"jargomcfargo" wrote:

"NodakPaul" wrote:

That's awesome!

;D

I loved seeing that little guy from the NFL network trying to throw or punt a football. Adam Shefter or something like that I think. Hillarious.
I also get a charge out of watching boxing announcers who haven't been in a fight since some girl beat them up in the third grade. Real credibility.

Where's George Plimpton when you need him? ;D

Marrdro
08-20-2008, 09:17 AM
"jargomcfargo" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

"jargomcfargo" wrote:

"NodakPaul" wrote:

That's awesome!

;D

LOL, I always giggle a bit when I watch this guy.

http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:3ZfLDifPwODwtM:http://thesportshernia.typepad.com/blog/images/2007/05/01/john_clayton_waiting_for_bikini_pic.jpg

jargomcfargo
08-20-2008, 09:23 AM
"Marrdro" wrote:

"jargomcfargo" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

"jargomcfargo" wrote:

"NodakPaul" wrote:

That's awesome!

;D

LOL, I always giggle a bit when I watch this guy.

http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:3ZfLDifPwODwtM:http://thesportshernia.typepad.com/blog/images/2007/05/01/john_clayton_waiting_for_bikini_pic.jpg

lmao!

AngloVike
08-20-2008, 02:15 PM
yay ! lets get the local hacks in and see how they perform. Then we'll write about what a waste of space they are
;D

Marrdro
08-20-2008, 02:32 PM
"AngloVike" wrote:

yay ! lets get the local hacks in and see how they perform. Then we'll write about what a waste of space they are
;D

You my friend, are wise beyond your years.

;D
;D
;D

C Mac D
08-20-2008, 02:33 PM
This is pretty pointless... just because he'll put a journalist through his training doesn't make it anymore rigorous, it simply means that a Sports Journalist... with no NFL experience, will get tossed around a bit in an NFL practice... no shit...

It still doesn't prove that Chilly's practices aren't soft... which they are by NFL standards.

V4L
08-20-2008, 02:51 PM
Soft practices will pay off for us

Purple Floyd
08-20-2008, 02:53 PM
"C" wrote:

This is pretty pointless... just because he'll put a journalist through his training doesn't make it anymore rigorous, it simply means that a Sports Journalist... with no NFL experience, will get tossed around a bit in an NFL practice... no shit...

It still doesn't prove that Chilly's practices aren't soft... which they are by NFL standards.

lol

gamecocksbaseball31
08-20-2008, 02:56 PM
haha it is still pretty funny that he said that...

Zeus
08-20-2008, 03:01 PM
"C" wrote:

WTF do you, oh balding NYC loner, know about "NFL Standards"?

=Z=

AngloVike
08-20-2008, 03:14 PM
"C" wrote:

This is pretty pointless... just because he'll put a journalist through his training doesn't make it anymore rigorous, it simply means that a Sports Journalist... with no NFL experience, will get tossed around a bit in an NFL practice... no pooh...

well the hacks feel they know enough about NFL standards to make judgements on the practices. So let them experience practices and at least then their reports would have a tad more credibility. As ever though it's easy to sit and pass judgement when not having any experience - bit like posting on here at times
;D

PackSux!
08-20-2008, 05:14 PM
"C" wrote:

This is pretty pointless... just because he'll put a journalist through his training doesn't make it anymore rigorous, it simply means that a Sports Journalist... with no NFL experience, will get tossed around a bit in an NFL practice... no pooh...

And what NFL team have you coached?
Or what NFL coach do you know that may have told you that?

C Mac D
08-20-2008, 05:17 PM
"PackSux!" wrote:

"C" wrote:

And what NFL team have you coached?
Or what NFL coach do you know that may have told you that?

I need to have coached a team?

Haha, I'd respond... but I just don't care what you have to say.

EDIT: But, If you'd like to go research what the average number of times that teams were in Full Pads in training camp and compare that to the Vikings, be my guest. Do your own research.

C Mac D
08-20-2008, 05:26 PM
"Zeus" wrote:

"C" wrote:

WTF do you, oh balding NYC loner, know about "NFL Standards"?

=Z=

Just what I READ from professionals...

Nice personal stab too... you're always good to throw out a little jab when you don't have an actual argument.

Prophet
08-20-2008, 05:39 PM
Would love to see this.
The result would be the typical article that isn't worth the paper it was printed on.
As long as it's mildly entertaining I don't care.

Schutz
08-20-2008, 05:49 PM
"Marrdro" wrote:

"jargomcfargo" wrote:

"NodakPaul" wrote:

That's awesome!

;D

As much as I have my disliking for a lot of sports writers I'm pretty sure many of them played high school ball or were actively involved in sports.
With that out of the way I also have to ask why does one have to have had played the sport to understand or report on the sport?
I guess there are plenty of good reporters in different fields who have never done what they've reported on before and still do an outstanding job.
Apparently if you went to a big school or didn't get into sports or were too small to really play sports early in life you can no longer get into or report on sports. Passion and a little knowledge can go a long way for any good journalist(which there are some out there).

And Marr if you know so much more about football then go out and start writing for a sports section in your spare time.
;D (Not just your own blog or something, an honest to God published paper)

As for the practice thing, it's dumb.
Yes lets get a bunch of out of shape reporters and show how "tough" practice is.
I have nothing against his practice style, I just think it's dumb to think that it proves anything.
You could get Andy Reid to be in a 9 on 7 drill and even having a head coach be worn out by the "tough" practice won't prove it's merits.
Silly.

Billy Boy
08-20-2008, 06:00 PM
"Schutz" wrote:

As much as I have my disliking for a lot of sports writers I'm pretty sure many of them played high school ball or were actively involved in sports.
With that out of the way I also have to ask why does one have to have had played the sport to understand or report on the sport?
I guess there are plenty of good reporters in different fields who have never done what they've reported on before and still do an outstanding job.
Apparently if you went to a big school or didn't get into sports or were too small to really play sports early in life you can no longer get into or report on sports. Passion and a little knowledge can go a long way for any good journalist(which there are some out there).

Is this what your talking about?
http://www.thehookandlateral.com/images/coaches/john_clayton.jpg

Man, that would be hilarious to see Clayton out there.
Good reporter though.

Prophet
08-20-2008, 06:02 PM
"Billy" wrote:

"Schutz" wrote:

Good reporter though.

I always liked the 'crypt keeper' comment:

Zi7XtBv94pE

Schutz
08-20-2008, 06:02 PM
"Billy" wrote:

"Schutz" wrote:

Good reporter though.

I don't know, Clayton might work out as a kicker during the 9 on 7 drills.
Just stand there watching like all the other kickers.

Schutz
08-20-2008, 06:07 PM
"Prophet" wrote:

"Billy" wrote:

"Schutz" wrote:

Good reporter though.

I always liked the 'crypt keeper' comment:

Zi7XtBv94pE

Wow, never seen that one.
Little ole Clayton vs the former NFL QB Salisbury.
According to the sports hack theory Salisbury should be a much better writer/annalist since he used to play.
Once again it's not about if you played or not, it's about being a good reporter and knowing your stuff.
Makes you wonder how ESPN could ever handle losing that POS Salisbury.

V4L
08-20-2008, 06:07 PM
I wanna see EJ hit Joe Buck

Schutz
08-20-2008, 06:15 PM
"V4L" wrote:

<object width="425" height="344"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/5dmqGg6Ccvw&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Oh memories.

V4L
08-20-2008, 06:16 PM
that was frickin awesome

Prophet
08-20-2008, 06:19 PM
"Schutz" wrote:

"V4L" wrote:

<object width="425" height="344"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/5dmqGg6Ccvw&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Oh memories.

Joe Buck is such an ass.

Here's a good thread honoring him:

http://www.purplepride.org/forums/index.php?topic=28094.msg481628#msg481628

gamecocksbaseball31
08-20-2008, 06:24 PM
"V4L" wrote:

I wanna see Pat hit Joe Buck ;D

happy camper
08-20-2008, 06:25 PM
I want to see EJ hit Joe Buck and then Pat fall on Joe Buck.

vikinggreg
08-20-2008, 06:48 PM
"happy" wrote:

I want to see EJ hit Joe Buck and then Pat fall on Joe Buck.

Henderson and Allen hit Buck then Pat deliver the big tsunami splash

Marrdro
08-21-2008, 08:20 AM
"Schutz" wrote:

How so?
You are going on a assumption just like I am going on a assumption.
I contend that most of these guys went to schools that had tryouts and only the best made the team.
That alone would carve out at least (a assumption) 75% of them.
Of those, probably 2% got a scholarship that would have predicated that they take up some sort of pretend major like communications or something like that.

Good post.
I agree, but those guys are far and few between as you point out.

And Marr if you know so much more about football then go out and start writing for a sports section in your spare time.
When have you ever seen me ever claim that I am "All knowing" when it comes to football my friend.

Watch closely, I think you will see me use the word "Yutz" more times in ref to myself than anyone.
I'll stick to getting published in a area that is my forte my friend and not something out of my league.

http://www.military-information-technology.com/article.cfm?DocID=1244

As for the practice thing, it's dumb.
Yes lets get a bunch of out of shape reporters and show how "tough" practice is.
I have nothing against his practice style, I just think it's dumb to think that it proves anything.
You could get Andy Reid to be in a 9 on 7 drill and even having a head coach be worn out by the "tough" practice won't prove it's merits.
Silly.

I for one would like to see them out there.
Ole George not only did the lions but he did some pitching as well.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paper_Lion

seaniemck7
08-21-2008, 08:37 AM
When have you ever seen me ever claim that I am "All knowing" when it comes to football my friend.

Watch closely, I think you will see me use the word "Yutz" more times in ref to myself than anyone.
I'll stick to getting published in a area that is my forte my friend and not something out of my league.

That is a bad ass post right there, sir.

Marrdro
08-21-2008, 08:41 AM
"seaniemck7" wrote:

That is a bad jiggly butt post right there, sir.

Thanks my friend.
Even a blind squirrel finds a acorn once in awhile.

AngloVike
08-21-2008, 02:19 PM
"gamecocksbaseball31" wrote:

"V4L" wrote:

I wanna hit Joe Buck
;D

BadlandsVikings
08-21-2008, 04:56 PM
"AngloVike" wrote:

"V4L" wrote:

I wanna hit Joe Buck
;D

Put it on youtube

Purple Floyd
08-21-2008, 05:11 PM
"Marrdro" wrote:

I hope you aren't one of those guys behind the NIMS training we have to do. ;)

FreakinVikingsBaby
08-21-2008, 05:21 PM
"AngloVike" wrote:

"V4L" wrote:

I wanna hit Joe Buck
;D

word

Articnv
08-21-2008, 05:22 PM
actualy marrdro there was an article posted here
recently about

most teams are goping to softer trainign camp, IE
just should pads in helemet and not full pads bcz teams lost 6 expectiosn when nfl
europe fodled and they dotn wnat
to hurt people in camp.
From what i ready the only
one not t akign ti easy in camp is

the pats

Purple Floyd
08-21-2008, 09:40 PM
"Articnv" wrote:

recently about

just should pads in helemet and not full pads bcz teams lost 6 expectiosn when nfl
to hurt people in camp.

the pats

???

Marrdro
08-22-2008, 06:44 AM
"Articnv" wrote:

recently about

to hurt people in camp.

the pats

I hear my friend and can even understand the rationale behind as they are short some players (8 I believe) and need to protect them a bit, however, can't we think back just a few years ago when teams had 120 people on thier roster?

Long story short, I undertand it, I just don't agree with it.
Players need to be in shape and they need to be in game shape.
There is a difference.
If they aren't in shape in both areas we will see crappy ball not only from poor ball control but from watching backups as well as the starters start to get dinged.