PDA

View Full Version : Vikings passing attack stalled by injuries

singersp
08-20-2008, 06:16 AM
Passing attack stalled by injuries (http://www.twincities.com/vikings/ci_10248233)

By Don Seeholzer
dseeholzer@pioneerpress.com

Article Last Updated: 08/19/2008 11:54:44 PM CDT

The starting quarterback has a sprained knee ligament, the new No. 1 receiver is battling a case of turf toe and another starting receiver sat out Tuesday's practice because of a stomach virus....

PurpleTide
08-20-2008, 06:56 AM
The turf toe injury to Berrian has me more worried than the MCL sprain Tarvaris has. Unfortunantly we just have to rest those guys, and let the bubble recievers get the reps with Gus. That turf toe injury can be a real slow healer, and the only way is rest. Continuity will develope as the season progresses.

PurplePowerPunch
08-20-2008, 08:10 AM
Yeah, I say we just give these guys a rest for the rest of the Pre-Season. We've lost enough players to injury already.

StillPurple
08-20-2008, 01:50 PM
What "passing attack"... ? ::)

gamecocksbaseball31
08-20-2008, 03:01 PM
When we gave Berrian the huge contract he got I didn't know we were getting turf toe for free ???

marstc09
08-20-2008, 03:11 PM
Turf Toe

Athletes diagnosed with turf toe should avoid their sport for about three weeks to allow the joint capsule to heal.

http://orthopedics.about.com/cs/toeproblems/a/toeproblems_5.htm

Below is what scares me.

Unfortunately, turf toe can return, and rehabilitation may be slow. Most athletes have trouble when they try to come back to sports too soon after sustaining a turf toe injury.

singersp
08-21-2008, 06:04 AM
Injuries test Vikings’ D-line depth (http://www.realfootball365.com/index.php/articles/vikings/12408)

Thursday, August 21, 2008

Posted by John McMullen

Professional football is often a war of attrition.

While it's pretty obvious you have to be talented to win at a consistent level, health is almost of equal importance...

Marrdro
08-21-2008, 06:45 AM
Injuries happen all the time.
Its just the nature of the game.
Good teams can absorb them a bit either by having a decent guy in the rotation that can take some more reps (ala DE) or a backup that can step in and play a game or two (ala QB/OL).

Problem I see is that injuries seem to normally happen over the span of a season and usually not in groups like we are seeing and at the beginning of the season before anything is happening that really counts.

Gonna be along year for the purple faithfull if this continues.
:'(

singersp
08-21-2008, 07:05 AM
"Marrdro" wrote:

Good teams can absorb them a bit either by having a decent guy in the rotation that can take some more reps (ala DE) or a backup that can step in and play a game or two (ala QB/OL).

Problem I see is that injuries seem to normally happen over the span of a season and usually not in groups like we are seeing and at the beginning of the season before anything is happening that really counts.

Good teams can also go in the tank if they don't have good depth.

Marrdro
08-21-2008, 07:38 AM
"singersp" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

That my friend is a definition of a bad team.
Bad teams have all thier money invested in thier front line players and can't afford to have depth.

Take the Deadskins for example.
Because they are CAP strapped they can't get sign anybody to add depth and then you add to that sin the fact that they continue to trade thier draft picks away so they don't have any young talent on thier first term (cheap) contracts.

Good teams can absorb them cause they manage thier cap, have young players coming through the ranks from the draft and plug in Vet FA's were the holes are.

;D

Prophet
08-21-2008, 07:46 AM
"Marrdro" wrote:

"singersp" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

Bad teams have all thier money invested in thier front line players and can't afford to have depth.

Because they are CAP strapped they can't get sign anybody to add depth and then you add to that sin the fact that they continue to trade thier draft picks away so they don't have any young talent on thier first term (cheap) contracts.

Good teams can absorb them cause they manage thier cap, have young players coming through the ranks from the draft and plug in Vet FA's were the holes are.

;D

That's how it works in the ideal world.
The example that comes to mind is the Patriots the first year they won the SB, they had, can't remember exactly, but, something like a dozen starters out due to injury.

There are many holes that can be plugged by others, but it's tough to come back if one of the keynote players goes down, like, say Peyton Manning.
Big shoes to fill by the likes of Sorgi.

Marrdro
08-21-2008, 07:57 AM
"Prophet" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

"singersp" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

;D

That's how it works in the ideal world.
The example that comes to mind is the Patriots the first year they won the SB, they had, can't remember exactly, but, something like a dozen starters out due to injury.

There are many holes that can be plugged by others, but it's tough to come back if one of the keynote players goes down, like, say Peyton Manning.
Big shoes to fill by the likes of Sorgi.

Excellent post my friend.
Truth be told, I don't see many teams out there that have built to the ideal this year even though there was a bit more CAP available for the budget weanies to work thier magic especially when it comes to backup QB's.

Wasn't much to pick from.
Dallas looks good but has BJ, SD has Voleck, Colts have Sorgi, Browns have Quinn.
All pretty shacky even though I do like Voleck and Sorgi a bit.