PDA

View Full Version : Vikes interested in Simms?



COJOMAY
08-18-2008, 11:54 PM
PFT is reporting that the Vikings had personnel at the Bucks Patriot Game yesterday taking a look with other pro scouts.
http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/08/18/scouts-galore-watch-simms-work/


Last night, as the Bucs played the Patriots, scouts from 20 teams were in attendance to see Phil’s son play.

Three of those teams came from north of the border — the Toronto Argonauts, the Calgary Stampeders and the Winnipeg Blue Bombers — but also in attendance were representatives from the Vikings, Cowboys, Colts, and Ravens. The Patriots, who are seeing how destitute they are behind Tom Brady, were surely taking a good look from the other sideline as well.

This topic came up about 4 months ago on this board but I declined to use the same thread after it suggested I do not.

jargomcfargo
08-19-2008, 12:02 AM
"COJOMAY" wrote:


PFT is reporting that the Vikings had personnel at the Bucks Patriot Game yesterday taking a look with other pro scouts.
http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/08/18/scouts-galore-watch-simms-work/


Last night, as the Bucs played the Patriots, scouts from 20 teams were in attendance to see Phil’s son play.

Three of those teams came from north of the border — the Toronto Argonauts, the Calgary Stampeders and the Winnipeg Blue Bombers — but also in attendance were representatives from the Vikings, Cowboys, Colts, and Ravens. The Patriots, who are seeing how destitute they are behind Tom Brady, were surely taking a good look from the other sideline as well.

This topic came up about 4 months ago on this board but I declined to use the same thread after it suggested I do not.


Had the injury to TJ been a tear instead of a strain, it would change the complexion of the season considerably.
Frerotte is a capable back up. But we have nothing behind him.
Bollinger has proven inability and Booty is merely developmental.
Good to know they are preparing for future possibilities.
I pray it doesn't come down to that.

i_bleed_purple
08-19-2008, 12:16 AM
pass.

Unless TJ's injury is more severe than we think, I can't really see this happening.
They say 20 scouts were there, but I bet less than 7 are seriously considering Simms.
How many scouts on average to to any preseason game?
My bet is they are watching and see who the Pats let go.
They usually do a pretty good job scouting, so sometimes a player with some potential, like Mills slips away from them.

ragz
08-19-2008, 12:28 AM
"jargomcfargo" wrote:


"COJOMAY" wrote:


PFT is reporting that the Vikings had personnel at the Bucks Patriot Game yesterday taking a look with other pro scouts.
http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/08/18/scouts-galore-watch-simms-work/


Last night, as the Bucs played the Patriots, scouts from 20 teams were in attendance to see Phil’s son play.

Three of those teams came from north of the border — the Toronto Argonauts, the Calgary Stampeders and the Winnipeg Blue Bombers — but also in attendance were representatives from the Vikings, Cowboys, Colts, and Ravens. The Patriots, who are seeing how destitute they are behind Tom Brady, were surely taking a good look from the other sideline as well.

This topic came up about 4 months ago on this board but I declined to use the same thread after it suggested I do not.


Had the injury to TJ been a tear instead of a strain, it would change the complexion of the season considerably.
Frerotte is a capable back up. But we have nothing behind him.
Bollinger has proven inability and Booty is merely developmental.
Good to know they are preparing for future possibilities.
I pray it doesn't come down to that.

yah, but what teams have a good option at number 3?
i'm sure simms is gonna wanna go where at least he can get a backup job.
i would doubt simms would walk in and beat out ferrotte.
maybe over time, but i can't imagine this season.
so unless they figure an older simms is a better project at number 3 than booty is i can't see where the interest would be.

FuadFan
08-19-2008, 12:40 AM
PFT doing their usual speculation and assumption, our scouts could have been looking at any player in that game. Hell we grabbed Garrett Mills last year from New England when he was available and our scouts probably took a good look at him who's to say there isn't someone else that has our interest?

gregair13
08-19-2008, 12:50 AM
we dont want simms.

StillPurple
08-19-2008, 12:51 AM
What, there are doubts about Tarvaris ?

Say it ain't so...

Zeus
08-19-2008, 09:00 AM
"StillPurple" wrote:


What, there are doubts about Tarvaris ?

Say it ain't so...


God, you really are clueless.

=Z=

Marrdro
08-19-2008, 09:07 AM
"i_bleed_purple" wrote:


pass.


Unless TJ's injury is more severe than we think, I can't really see this happening.
They say 20 scouts were there, but I bet less than 7 are seriously considering Simms.
How many scouts on average to to any preseason game?
My bet is they are watching and see who the Pats let go.
They usually do a pretty good job scouting, so sometimes a player with some potential, like Mills slips away from them.

My guess as well although I still think (I'm not advocating getting him mind you) young Simms is a interesting project.

Purple Floyd
08-19-2008, 09:15 AM
No way. We have what we want so lets just buckle up and go.

MaxVike
08-19-2008, 09:56 AM
"UffDaVikes" wrote:


No way. We have what we want so lets just buckle up and go.


Agreed...

Has a 59.1% career completion percentage though.
I like Simms, SIRIUS seems to think he'd be a great fit...too late though.
I am concerned about TJack's seemingly injury prone ways though.

jmcdon00
08-19-2008, 10:59 AM
I'd take simms over ferrotte. He's younger, more athletic, and a better quarterback. Ferrotte is 37 and in his 15th season, I don't know how long he can play for. Simms could be a solid back-up for 5 years. Not saying we should definetly get him just that he would be an upgrade to what we have. The team might have other plans and I'm okay with that too(and contract concerns). Personally I'm still holding out hope that Daunte returns. ;D

Zeus
08-19-2008, 11:05 AM
"jmcdon00" wrote:


I'd take simms over ferrotte. He's younger, more athletic, and a better quarterback. Ferrotte is 37 and in his 15th season, I don't know how long he can play for. Simms could be a solid back-up for 5 years. Not saying we should definetly get him just that he would be an upgrade to what we have. The team might have other plans and I'm okay with that too(and contract concerns). Personally I'm still holding out hope that Daunte returns. ;D


Simms is a LOSER.
He's never won anything at any level above High School.
He personally destroyed Texas's chance at Big12 titles and National Championships until Vince Young came along.

I want WINNERS on this team.

=Z=

BloodyHorns82
08-19-2008, 11:07 AM
Jeez... I don't know about Simms.
Wasn't he the guy who threw 0 TDs and 6 INTs in his first two starts of 06' before getting his spleen ruptured?


This kid looks terrible.
Why would we want him on our team?
He hasn't even done well as a backup.

BloodyHorns82
08-19-2008, 11:08 AM
"jmcdon00" wrote:


I'd take simms over ferrotte. He's younger, more athletic, and a better quarterback. Ferrotte is 37 and in his 15th season, I don't know how long he can play for. Simms could be a solid back-up for 5 years. Not saying we should definetly get him just that he would be an upgrade to what we have. The team might have other plans and I'm okay with that too(and contract concerns). Personally I'm still holding out hope that Daunte returns. ;D


How is he a better QB?
Simms has to be one of the shittiest QBs in the NFL!
Hell, I might take Bollinger over Simms.

tastywaves
08-19-2008, 11:09 AM
"Zeus" wrote:


"jmcdon00" wrote:


I'd take simms over ferrotte. He's younger, more athletic, and a better quarterback. Ferrotte is 37 and in his 15th season, I don't know how long he can play for. Simms could be a solid back-up for 5 years. Not saying we should definetly get him just that he would be an upgrade to what we have. The team might have other plans and I'm okay with that too(and contract concerns). Personally I'm still holding out hope that Daunte returns. ;D


Simms is a LOSER.
He's never won anything at any level above High School.
He personally destroyed Texas's chance at Big12 titles and National Championships until Vince Young came along.

I want WINNERS on this team.

=Z=


Does that mean you want Vince Young?
He is definitely a WINNER.

I agree on Simms, just say no.
A lot of talent, but never lived up to his potential.

mountainviking
08-19-2008, 11:16 AM
I think its more of a "we look at everybody, and we're always looking to get better..." kind of situation.
Worth a look, you betcha!
Better than Booty and Bollinger...maybe.
Better than Gus now, probably not...but, maybe in a year or two...

I just like that we're always looking to get better!


Jimmy Valvano (the late basketball coach at North Carolina State) said: "Working hard gives you a chance to have a chance. If you don't work hard, you know people are going by you."

olson_10
08-19-2008, 11:37 AM
i hope the winnipeg blue bombers get him lol