PDA

View Full Version : For Vikings, Jackson’s the man

singersp
08-11-2008, 06:54 AM
For Vikings, Favre trade means Jackson’s the man (http://www.realfootball365.com/index.php/articles/vikings/12312)

Monday, August 11, 2008

Posted by Mike Schoemer
realfootball365.com

It had to be wearing on him.

No. 7 said and did all the right things during the offseason.

After all, with the additions made in the offseason, Minnesota Vikings starting quarterback Tarvaris Jackson was about to become arguably the most scrutinized player in the NFL's NFC

i_bleed_purple
08-11-2008, 07:29 AM
no sh*t sherlock...

I mean seriously.... I don't think that guy said anything my 3 year old cousin didn't know already.

Caine
08-11-2008, 07:32 AM
"singersp" wrote:

For Vikings, Favre trade means Jackson’s the man (http://www.realfootball365.com/index.php/articles/vikings/12312)

Monday, August 11, 2008

Posted by Mike Schoemer
realfootball365.com

After all, with the additions made in the offseason, Minnesota Vikings starting quarterback Tarvaris Jackson was about to become arguably the most scrutinized player in the NFL's NFC

Talk about your "filler" piece.
Way to try and make a story out of nothing.
Here's an idea for this guys next story, "Football players drafted by the Vikings will be wearing purple this season".

Does he (the author, Mike Schoemer) REALLY think that Jackson still won't be the most scrutinized player in the NFCN?
How has Favre's trade to the Jets altered the questions about Jackson?
How has Favre's departure to New York made Tarvaris more ready to play?

It hasn't.

Come September 8th, we will ALL be watching Jackson and gathering the information we need to truthfully answer the questions we've ALL been asking.
By October, we will have a pretty good idea of what we have.
Favre has nothing to do with any of that.

Caine

Purple Floyd
08-11-2008, 07:41 AM
"Caine" wrote:

"singersp" wrote:

Monday, August 11, 2008

Posted by Mike Schoemer
realfootball365.com

Here's an idea for this guys next story, "Football players drafted by the Vikings will be wearing purple this season".

Does he (the author, Mike Schoemer) REALLY think that Jackson still won't be the most scrutinized player in the NFCN?

It hasn't.

Come September 8th, we will ALL be watching Jackson and gathering the information we need to truthfully answer the questions we've ALL been asking.

Caine

I think the most scrutinized QB in the NFC norris will be Rodgers. Especially with Farve still in the league.

Marrdro
08-11-2008, 08:08 AM
Thanks for the read my friend, however, this guy is a yutz.
:o

On a side note:

In Minnesota, the expectations were sky high. And the only remaining question that really matters was: Can Jackson lead the Vikings to the Super Bowl?

Vikings and SB again in one sentence.
Wonder why that is?
Sometimes it just mystifies me that people still question personnel moves in just one area but are happy with all the other moves.

Even though I would have had something different at QB when TJ was drafted, I have come to the realization that the FO knows a hell of alot more about player evaluations than I do as they have done a nice job drafting and bringing in FA were they are needed.

If that is in fact the case and the FO has given us the right talent at each position (with decent depth) then maybe, just maybe the FO knows what the hell they are doing in the area of QB as well.

I still say SB is out of the question this year.
Way to many question marks and not just at QB my friends.
::)

Garland Greene
08-11-2008, 08:46 AM
The fact that there has been significant talks abluut bringing in other QB's, and not just back-ups people with te potetial to start, has to say something that there is some doubts that are out there about him being the guy.

Marrdro
08-11-2008, 08:55 AM
"Garland" wrote:

The fact that there has been significant talks abluut bringing in other QB's, and not just back-ups people with te potetial to start, has to say something that there is some doubts that are out there about him being the guy.

I hear ya my friend, however, what talks, what QB's?
You can't mean Lord Favreeeee do you?

Seems to me the only cat that we can actually prove they tried to get was Sage and I believe he was targeted before they brought in Gus.
Seems to me that equates to a backup QB with the potential to win us a few games if TJ got hurt.

i_bleed_purple
08-11-2008, 09:01 AM
but they know as well as you and I do, that Sage has played this year, and played fairly well.
They know that if they bring him in as a backup, he would challenge TJ at the starting position.
Whether he wins or not, its impossible to say, but they wouldn't give up a 3rd round pick for a backup qb who doesn't fill your description of "veteran backup" that we badly needed.
If Sage came here, I have no doubt that there would be a qb controversy.

Prophet
08-11-2008, 09:02 AM
"Caine" wrote:

"singersp" wrote:

Monday, August 11, 2008

Posted by Mike Schoemer
realfootball365.com

It hasn't.

Caine

I agree with some of what you wrote.
I'm not convinced that we'll know by October, this is Tarvaris' second year as the starter.
I am still expecting him to be inconsistent, with more periods of consistency compared to inconsistency when compared to last year.
Now, if this is 2009 after two years of being a starter I would tend to agree with you more.
TJack just has to play with his head out of his ass and manage the game well.
It appears to me that he has more potential than the Trent Dilfers of the world, so, if he learns to manage the game well and continues to hone in and develop his natural talents and continues to have a good attitude he could end up being the man.
It's good to have Frerrotte in the shadows instead of Bollinger and Booty in the shadows developing his skills as a backup plan.

i_bleed_purple
08-11-2008, 09:05 AM
I
was watching the NFLN, and I think it was Jaimie Dukes that said, all the Vikings need, is for a quarterback to play just better than average, and they could go deep in the playoffs.
And truer words have never been said.
All we need is a Trent Dilfer-esque year from him this year, and next year he builds on that.

Marrdro
08-11-2008, 09:19 AM
"i_bleed_purple" wrote:

but they know as well as you and I do, that Sage has played this year, and played fairly well.
They know that if they bring him in as a backup, he would challenge TJ at the starting position.
Whether he wins or not, its impossible to say, but they wouldn't give up a 3rd round pick for a backup qb who doesn't fill your description of "veteran backup" that we badly needed.
If Sage came here, I have no doubt that there would be a qb controversy.

Only from a fans perspective my friend.

Sure Sage appears to be the better QB but I am not so sure it would have been a "Open Competition" for the starter job but rather the backup job.

Truth be told, we are/have been forced to watch a QB learn on the field.
Each year it seems (this year it is still to be seen) that he has made progress.

Why would they stop that process? ::)

i_bleed_purple
08-11-2008, 09:32 AM
sure, it wouldn't be an open competition in camp, he'd be brought in as a backup, but he'd be sitting there as #2, and both would know that, if TJ screws up too much, there's a competent qb who can challenge him for the starting spot.

Marrdro
08-11-2008, 10:11 AM
"i_bleed_purple" wrote:

sure, it wouldn't be an open competition in camp, he'd be brought in as a backup, but he'd be sitting there as #2, and both would know that, if TJ screws up too much, there's a competent qb who can challenge him for the starting spot.

You and I are having some good discussions today. I love it.
;D

Anyway, that that is were the QB controversy would come in from a fans perspective.
They (the fan) are always ready to give up on a guy at the slightest whim whereas a coach is probably a bit more resistant to change.
;D

gagarr
08-11-2008, 12:54 PM
"i_bleed_purple" wrote:

no sh*t sherlock...

I mean seriously.... I don't think that guy said anything my 3 year old cousin didn't know already.

Totally agree...

The guy wasted time writing it and I wasted time reading it.
Now I'm wasting time commenting on it...

cogitans
08-11-2008, 02:15 PM
"i_bleed_purple" wrote:

no sh*t sherlock...

Right on the money. That should be all there is to say about that story

cajunvike
08-11-2008, 02:31 PM
"i_bleed_purple" wrote:

I
was watching the NFLN, and I think it was Jaimie Dukes that said, all the Vikings need, is for a quarterback to play just better than average, and they could go deep in the playoffs.

And truer words have never been said.
All we need is a Trent Dilfer-esque year from him this year, and next year he builds on that.

I have been saying this since TJack was named the starter.
And after his up-and-down 2007, which resulted in a 70 QB rating.
I volunteered that if he could simply raise his QB rating 15-20 points this would put him in the 85-90 range, more than high enough to put him in the above average catagory.
All he would need to do is throw more TDs than INTs and this jump in ratings would happen.
That means making about 5 good plays (TDs) and eliminating about 5 bad plays (INTs) from what he did last year.
I think that he will show at least that much improvement over last season given what he has shown so far this preseason, quite possibly more (given his upgraded WR corps...minus Shiancoe, of course).

i_bleed_purple
08-11-2008, 02:31 PM
"gagarr" wrote:

"i_bleed_purple" wrote:

no sh*t sherlock...

Totally agree...

The guy wasted time writing it and I wasted time reading it.
Now I'm wasting time commenting on it...

So am I wasting time by replying to your comment about wasting time?

singersp
08-11-2008, 07:09 PM
"Caine" wrote:

"singersp" wrote:

Monday, August 11, 2008

Posted by Mike Schoemer
realfootball365.com

It hasn't.

Caine

I didn't read where he stated those words. All he's trying to say is with Favre gone to the Jets that Tarvaris is "the man". Had Favre come here, he would have been "the man" & T-Jack would have been the backup.

singersp
08-11-2008, 08:09 PM
"Caine" wrote:

[b]Does he (the author, Mike Schoemer) REALLY think that Jackson still won't be the most scrutinized player in the NFCN?
[b]How has Favre's departure to New York made Tarvaris more ready to play?

Caine

I know I don't. I think Rodgers will be the most scrutinized this year, hands down.

Vikes_King
08-11-2008, 08:13 PM
"singersp" wrote:

"Caine" wrote:

[b]Does he (the author, Mike Schoemer) REALLY think that Jackson still won't be the most scrutinized player in the NFCN?

Caine

I know I don't. I think Rodgers will be the most scrutinized this year, hands down.

Agreed.
Not so by his coaching staff, but by the media and fans.
TJack will have a lot bigger of a backlash if he completely fucks up this year by the FO tho than Rodgers would

PurpleHornsOfDestruction
08-11-2008, 08:44 PM
"Caine" wrote:

Caine

Scrutinized? Did you see that preseason game or NFL Network this off season. During the off-season they were like he's the guy and he going to breakout and is the next coming. During that pre-season game it was worse. If Jackson does average they talk as though he's playing like Johnny Unitas. They ignore flaw in his play. He does something wrong its not his fault. It reminds me of Favre how they're making him infallible. I don't think scrutinized it at all accurate. When there's Rodgers replacing the Golden Boy, Grossman consistently inconsistent and Kitna either doing really well this year with all those receivers or he's gone next year or perhaps this year. Perhaps least scrutinized. Right now Id put him third in the NFC Central alone after Kitna.

I agree with singer. aaron Rodgers definately. He's having children swear at him and fans saying "F you" while he's at the ATM. Packer fans will hate him because he's replacing their Golden Boy. It's be like Steve Young after Joe Montana left all over again. Packer fans will hate him until he becomes Favre. Writers will feel the same.

As for my analysis of Jackson. I like him.

cons: I think he's at the point where he won't hurt the team but I don't think he'll help a whole lot. He's average. I hate the media's idea to make him infallible. I saw too much where the receiver had to slow down or even stop and catch the ball behind their body impairing the receivers ability to get YAC. He could find the guy when he's open but anticipating receivers is still a problem and kind of needs a plan. Where Im unsure if he can read the defense that well.

pros: He looks more comfortable and relaxed on the field and in the pocket as opposed to last year where he was always rattled. He seems more accurate. He could find the open guys. He was on the same page as the receivers. You won't be able to put nine guys in the box every down. Just eight
;D So he's actually able to make plays if you screw yourself stopping AD.

Purple Floyd
08-11-2008, 11:34 PM
If the line gives him time to make the reads like they did against Seattle he will probably have a good year. If he is back on the run and having to throw while being chased it could be a long season. So far it looks good.

singersp
08-16-2008, 08:21 AM
Success of Super-loaded roster hinges on Jackson (http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/story/10933942)

Aug. 15, 2008

By Clark Judge
CBSSports.com Senior Writer

MANKATO, Minn. -- Shortly before Brett Favre was traded I was speaking to an NFC head coach, and the subject turned to the former Green Bay quarterback. When I asked where he thought Favre would land, he shrugged his shoulders.

"I dunno," he said. "All I care about is that he doesn't go to Minnesota. He'd be a perfect fit, and that team's a quarterback away from the Super Bowl."....

Mr-holland
08-16-2008, 08:54 AM
"People would ask me in the offseason, 'So how y'all going to be this season?'" said Jackson. "And I flat-out tell them, 'It depends on how good I play.'

"But there is no pressure, and that's not hard for me to say. It's nothing that I'm scared of. I feel like I'm getting better, and I'm confident that we're going to do this.
I always felt that TJ had no pressure and i also think it's good. We don't really have somebody to challenge him for the starting job, and almost everybody is willing to let him play and learn and develop...