PDA

View Full Version : 10 Reasons Why I Like Childress More Each Season

COJOMAY
08-09-2008, 03:35 PM
I know there are several people on here who hate Childress, but this guy is growing on me and I'm beginning to think he is becoming one of the top two or three coaches in the league.
Reasons why:
1. Truthful. I have never heard him lie. He may not be as open as Tice was but I can honestly say I have never heard an outright lie from him.
2. Players appreciate him. Remember three years ago when he came in and set down the law. He was not good with the press or with the public in general. He had a couple of players who defied his authority and mentioned it to the press. Well, those players came along and now he is a very respected coach by the team members as a whole. I have heard two free agents that have signed with the Vikes say they did so because they liked the way Childress and the management ran things.
3. He's quietly effective. Zygi (who I love as an owner) has brought in a good supporting cast to work with Childress. You don't have to look any further than the drafts the last three years and the FA's they have signed. Even the NFLN commented on that in the game last night.
4. He's not brash. He has what I would call "quiet strength" in the mold of Tony Dungee. When the Vikes were accused of tampering this year he could have spoken his side to the press but he and management remained quiet with no comment. I even thought they were guilty. I should have known better.
5. Slowly building for the long haul. Some will fault him for not going after some FA super stars, but look at who he's gotten. Younger players that have some good years left in them.
6. Having faith in a player and not giving up on him. TJ is an excellent example. There are others. While fans screamed and shouted for the likes of Brooks Bollinger, I think last night's game showed you that Childress knew what was best for the team. I don't think that he cared one bit about even giving Farve a smell.
7. While some have picked the Vikes to win the Super Bowl this year, I will be happy with winning the NFC North and maybe the first playoff game. But look out in 2009. If this keeps up we're Super Bowl favorites for sure in 2009.
8. Childress is building for the long haul. (Oh, have I said that before?) It bears repeating.
9. Almost all the trouble-makers on this team are gone. Look at who's been in trouble the last year. They didn't come in under this management.
10. I think he's a genuine nice guy. And I think the press is warming up to him and so is the national media. He's finally getting the respect he deserves.

Alright you can rip me apart now!
:D

Mr-holland
08-09-2008, 03:40 PM
Thanks Shock.
I supported him from the get-go and always will be supporting him. He's done a tremendous job with this team. Some will now get some stats etc to prove me wrong, but what i'm seeing are fantastic long-term stats with us being a real contender for the superbowl over and over again.

V4L
08-09-2008, 03:42 PM
Skol! I don't think he's even a top 10 coach but I like him

erik5032
08-09-2008, 03:45 PM
I agree with a lot of your post, Childress is definitely growing on me... as much as a man who resembles a retired figure skater can. I am gaining more and more trust in him. SKOL Childress.

BleedinPandG
08-09-2008, 04:18 PM
One thing I like about him is he's able to admit he's wrong.
He's able to go back on a decision and change it, go down a different path.
When he first started in the league I wasn't sure he'd do that but he has shown me he can, I like that about him.

jmcdon00
08-09-2008, 04:22 PM
"COJOMAY" wrote:

I know there are several people on here who hate Childress, but this guy is growing on me and I'm beginning to think he is becoming one of the top two or three coaches in the league.
Reasons why:
1. Truthful. I have never heard him lie. He may not be as open as Tice was but I can honestly say I have never heard an outright lie from him.
2. Players appreciate him. Remember three years ago when he came in and set down the law. He was not good with the press or with the public in general. He had a couple of players who defied his authority and mentioned it to the press. Well, those players came along and now he is a very respected coach by the team members as a whole. I have heard two free agents that have signed with the Vikes say they did so because they liked the way Childress and the management ran things.
3. He's quietly effective. Zygi (who I love as an owner) has brought in a good supporting cast to work with Childress. You don't have to look any further than the drafts the last three years and the FA's they have signed. Even the NFLN commented on that in the game last night.
4. He's not brash. He has what I would call "quiet strength" in the mold of Tony Dungee. When the Vikes were accused of tampering this year he could have spoken his side to the press but he and management remained quiet with no comment. I even thought they were guilty. I should have known better.
5. Slowly building for the long haul. Some will fault him for not going after some FA super stars, but look at who he's gotten. Younger players that have some good years left in them.
6. Having faith in a player and not giving up on him. TJ is an excellent example. There are others. While fans screamed and shouted for the likes of Brooks Bollinger, I think last night's game showed you that Childress knew what was best for the team. I don't think that he cared one bit about even giving Farve a smell.
7. While some have picked the Vikes to win the Super Bowl this year, I will be happy with winning the NFC North and maybe the first playoff game. But look out in 2009. If this keeps up we're Super Bowl favorites for sure in 2009.
8. Childress is building for the long haul. (Oh, have I said that before?) It bears repeating.
9. Almost all the trouble-makers on this team are gone. Look at who's been in trouble the last year. They didn't come in under this management.
10. I think he's a genuine nice guy. And I think the press is warming up to him and so is the national media. He's finally getting the respect he deserves.

Alright you can rip me apart now!
:D

Great points, I like childress more all the time too. I do think he gets some credit that belongs to ownership as far as bringing in front office people that know what they are doing. Hopefully all these good things lead to more wins, so far they haven't.
:'(

cogitans
08-09-2008, 04:28 PM
Not bad at all.

I think I would probably have brought out some of the same reasons myself. I like Chilly too, and I think he can bring us somewhere. I just hope he out-coaches someone this season :)

PurplePeopleEaters
08-09-2008, 04:39 PM
I was watching him pregame last night and I remember in the past thinking of what a buffoon he was and how he didn't have a clue every time he opened his mouth. The jury's still out on him, but he seems like a very easy-going likable guy.

COJOMAY
08-09-2008, 04:39 PM
Talking about being out-coached....I think that's true. But you got to remember that he's learning the ropes of a new position, too. And I think that's why he was so tough the first year. He was a bit insecure. But I think that confidence is growing in him, too, just as it is in the players.

Marrdro
08-09-2008, 09:23 PM
Excellent post my friend.

Items 5 and 6 irked the living dog snot out of me.
I am still of the mind that rookies, with few exceptions (you AD Crotchsniffers), should ever see the field thier first year unless they are in a ST's role.

Chapped my hinder to watch those kids the last 2 years but now I see the benifits of the "Readers Digest" approach to grooming players.

I have a new beef with him this year though, and it is centered around the new approach of practicing with "No Pads" and "Limited Hitting".

Call me old school but if you aren't hitting or being hit your tackling (poor angles to the ball, improper position before wrapping up) and ball protection skills (fumbles/drops) won't be honed and ready for the season.

Lets hope he isn't getting to soft.
HC's just shouldn't be anyones pal if you ask me.

Again, excellent post my friend.

NDVikingFan66
08-09-2008, 09:36 PM
great post my friend.....like a fine wine....

The vikings get better each passing year under childress

Garland Greene
08-09-2008, 09:38 PM
I have never disliked, but there were times last year that I was going to get impatient waiting for his "plan" to start to come about. What confuses me is how people can say that he is incompetent and has no clue what the hell he is doing but then support TJack. I guess I see that as a contridiction, why contuinue to have faith in a QB if he is competent as a coach? I am in no way trying to ri on TJack.
But i don't understand the logic of the thinking.

COJOMAY
08-09-2008, 10:11 PM
"Marrdro" wrote:

I am still of the mind that rookies, with few exceptions (you AD Crotchsniffers), should ever see the field thier first year unless they are in a ST's role.

Chapped my hinder to watch those kids the last 2 years but now I see the benifits of the "Readers Digest" approach to grooming players.

I have a new beef with him this year though, and it is centered around the new approach of practicing with "No Pads" and "Limited Hitting".

Call me old school but if you aren't hitting or being hit your tackling (poor angles to the ball, improper position before wrapping up) and ball protection skills (fumbles/drops) won't be honed and ready for the season.

While agree that he has let up on the players a bit, he certainly isn't a "pal" with the players. That was taken care of the first year when he dropped the hammer. But there's a difference between "pals" and being a "friend." You will NEVER see Childress hanging out with players. Leave that up to Tice.

VikingMike
08-09-2008, 10:13 PM
Nice post, COJO. He's growing on me too. And he's funnier than I thought he would be...as long as his players respect him, that's OK.

I know he's learning on the job, but I hope his learning curve is short.

WildViking3030
08-10-2008, 02:24 AM
Good post.

huxx
08-10-2008, 02:28 AM
Great post!

WildViking3030
08-10-2008, 02:29 AM
"Marrdro" wrote:

I agree with that (in bold) to a point but you have to take into consideration that it's not like the old days anymore.
Nowadays NFL players in general (I know there are exceptions) are more movie-star esque as opposed to back in the day where NFL players were more blue-collar types.
I think that successful coaches need to be able to relate more with their players as opposed to running more of a dictatorship program.
You do bring up good points though, so don't take this as an attempt by me trying to explain something you don't already know, which I'm sure you do.

Marrdro
08-10-2008, 09:35 AM
"WildViking3030" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

I agree with that (in bold) to a point but you have to take into consideration that it's not like the old days anymore.
Nowadays NFL players in general (I know there are exceptions) are more movie-star esque as opposed to back in the day where NFL players were more blue-collar types.
I think that successful coaches need to be able to relate more with their players as opposed to running more of a dictatorship program.
You do bring up good points though, so don't take this as an attempt by me trying to explain something you don't already know, which I'm sure you do.
Excellent point my friend.

It would suck to be a HC these days.
I bet my High School Coach is rolling in his grave (not sure if he is dead) over how coaches have to coddle the over price players these days.

By the way, never assume I know something. There are several posters on here that know a hell of alot more than I do.
In fact, the prime reason I love this site so much is that we have some very good actual football discussions on here and I learn something almost everyday.

Marrdro
08-10-2008, 09:37 AM
"COJOMAY" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

While agree that he has let up on the players a bit, he certainly isn't a "pal" with the players. That was taken care of the first year when he dropped the hammer. But there's a difference between "pals" and being a "friend." You will NEVER see Childress hanging out with players. Leave that up to Tice.

I hope your right my friend.
The new Chiller is starting to worry me a bit.

Kindof ironic isn't it when you think about it.
I am labled as one of the biggest Chiller supporters on here and yet I am the one hacking on him.
PPO is such a fun place.
;D
;D
;D

dfosterf
08-10-2008, 09:56 AM
In the first game between the Vikes and Pack, AP had what, 12 carries for a 112 yards, yet if my memory serves me correctly, Minn pretty much abandons the run game in 2nd half.
We (GBP fans) don't get it, but will definitely take it, and attribute it to the Gods and/or Childress.
Again, my memory fades on this, so please refresh my memory and enlighten me on that decision.

Garland Greene
08-10-2008, 11:30 AM
"Marrdro" wrote:

Well if it works like it does for John Gagliardi, I will be very happy

Marrdro
08-10-2008, 12:09 PM
"dfosterf" wrote:

In the first game between the Vikes and Pack, AP had what, 12 carries for a 112 yards, yet if my memory serves me correctly, Minn pretty much abandons the run game in 2nd half.
We (GBP fans) don't get it, but will definitely take it, and attribute it to the Gods and/or Childress.
Again, my memory fades on this, so please refresh my memory and enlighten me on that decision.

Does your memory remember the score?

There are times when running is an option (game is close or you are ahead) and there are times when running isn't an option (you are behind and the clock is running out).

erik5032
08-10-2008, 12:14 PM
I agree Marrdro even though they weren't behind a ton... they should have ran more then they did... oh well, Pay back on Sept. 8th.

The Dropper
08-10-2008, 05:46 PM
I agree with your sentiments, Cojo, and I also admit that my approval of Childress's decision making has grown marginally over time. I'm still in the "moderately approve" range, but my approval/disapproval doesn't hinge on one game or even one season. This thread may be all lovey-dovey over Childress now, but fickle fans' approval of or disapprove of the coach is directly proportional to the most recent wins and losses.

Mark my words: if we lose three of our first four games (which is quite possible) this thread will be brought forth and mocked by the unwashed masses.

Good times.

jorgie
08-10-2008, 06:54 PM
I still have not been able to forgive him for his horrible treatment of Brad Johnson.

Purple Floyd
08-10-2008, 07:01 PM
I'm neutral on him at this point. So I guess in that respect I must like him more than last year.

sh01002
08-11-2008, 12:01 AM
"UffDaVikes" wrote:

I'm neutral on him at this point. So I guess in that respect I must like him more than last year.

I second that

StillPurple
08-11-2008, 12:35 AM
I was with Denny and then I was with Tice. To be honest, I would describe myself as moderately pro-Childress, but at the same time I think that he needs to prove himself.

The nr. 1 thing Chilly did that I loved was to draft Adrian Peterson. I may be critical of many things that he does and did, but he got that one big thing right. Enough said.

DeathtoDenny
08-11-2008, 01:12 AM
"jorgie" wrote:

I still have not been able to forgive him for his horrible treatment of Brad Johnson.

Brad Johnson sucks.

Vikes_King
08-11-2008, 02:13 AM
"DeathtoDenny" wrote:

"jorgie" wrote:

Brad Johnson sucks.

Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas is such a fucked up movie...

vikingivan
08-11-2008, 05:22 AM
"Marrdro" wrote:

"dfosterf" wrote:

Does your memory remember the score?

There are times when running is an option (game is close or you are ahead) and there are times when running isn't an option (you are behind and the clock is running out).

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/200709300min.htm

Childress abandonded the run early, and then the Vikings got down by 14 in the 4th quarter.

Prophet
08-11-2008, 08:34 AM
The number one reason I liked him when he was inked was because he wasn't Mike Tice and he actually worked his way up through the ranks and got a chance at being an HC.

Now I am still optimistic, the team going on the field this year is a team.
Childress held to his promise of working on the lines, the first words uttered by him regarding his plans of building the team.

Many still go with the 'fluff' play calling diatribe.
I don't buy into that spiel.
I buy into the player's execution of the scheme.
Now, that brings in a circuitous argument....yeah, but the HC is responsible for the player's execution.
It all comes with experience and the team is on track more than any team I have seen in a long time.

Can Childress win in a coaching chess match in the playoffs?
I know I have more confidence in his abilities to win in a coaching chess match than any coach the Vikings have had since the Grant era.
Yes, I'm going out on a limb with that comment because there is no history to prove it.
I'm going on gut instinct, which doesn't mean shit.

So, I remain cautiously optimistic.
This year, in my opinion, is the first year since Childress became HC where he has his team.
The QB is still green, but appears to be progressing.
The O and D lines have been improved by an order of magnitude and it will be fun to watch them this year.
It is a good time to be a Viking fan.

gagarr
08-11-2008, 02:14 PM
Cojo, you put a lot of thought into the post and made some very good points, but I have to say I don't think that you can give Chiller the majority of the credit for alot of the points.

1. Sure he's truthful, he doesn't really say much.
He's almost a politician on most comments using platitudes and euphamisms.

2. I'll agree on this one, he's definitely improved here.

3., 5., 8. I have to wonder how much he's involved in player - personnel decisions.
I think Rob Brzezinski, Rick Spielman, and Scott Studwell have alot to add to decisions.
Unlike Dennis Green who ran the draft room and made most of the aquisition decisions and deserved the praise (Moss) and blame (Underwood).

4. I think there are times where emotion helps motivate teams, ala Cowher, Gruden, Parcells.
I will agree that emotion isn't a long haul solution for a dynasty, but it is useful in taking a team over the hump to the Super Bowl.
Dungy is a good coach and very even tempered and that's what stopped him in getting to the SB in Tampa.
Insert Gruden and instant SB.
How many years with the Colts in the AFC Championship before he got them over the top?

6. I think all coaches have faith in their players to a point.
But you can't have "blind faith" either.
If there is a better player you should get them period.
I think Green Bay is going to feel the effects of having too much faith in Rodgers.

7. I don't know if this has anything to do with Chiller, it's more based on the players, AD, Allen, William's, Birk, Hutch, Winfield, Sharper, Henderson, etc.

9. I think it was a organization decision after the "Loveboat", stairwell sex, Whizzinator, Robinson, etc. to crack down on this.
Probably a mandate from Zygi more than Chiller.

10. Old cliche, "Nice guys finish last"... I would not call Bill Belichick, Bill Cowher, Jon Gruden, Bill Parcells, etc. "Nice Guys"

I really could care less what the Chiller does off the field, as lots of other people are also involved in these decisions.

What I need Chiller to do to make me believe in him is all during the game where he has true control:
1. Execute a game plan that controls the game from the start, not reacts.
2. If you aren't controlling the game, then make adjustments to get the control back.
Don't keep trying the same stuff when it's not working i.e. run on first down over and over again.
3. Make decent challenges.
He's made some real boneheaded ones.
4. What it all comes down to is "Winning games".
Chiller can be great at ALL ten of your points but if he doesn't have a winning season this year he will most likely be looking for a job.

slavinator
08-12-2008, 08:02 PM
I catch heat all the time for liking what he is doing with this team.
Good post Cojomay!