PDA

View Full Version : Stick to the script? Vikings' Allison often strays



singersp
08-04-2008, 05:58 AM
Stick to the script? Vikings' Allison often strays (http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/2008-08-03-3116398891_x.htm)

Posted 15h 21m ago

By Dave Campbell, AP Sports Writer
usatoday.com


MANKATO, Minn. — Aundrae Allison's mind is always moving .

How, he asks himself, will I run this route? And what role, he wonders, would this man play in my next script?...

Marrdro
08-04-2008, 01:18 PM
Thanks for the read my friend.


"At times we have too many line runners. You know that line that you put in the playbook and say, 'This is where you go,"' Childress said. "It's important that they understand the flexibility and creativity that they have along that line. ... When you're thinking about assignment only, you're thinking about that line. You're not taking in what the defense is doing and the creativity you have based on what the defense presents."

I have been looking for that quote for some time.

I think we will see a few deviations from the "line" this year as the players start to recognize what the defense is showing them and what is the acceptable deviation to exploit what they are giving.
;D

sh01002
08-04-2008, 01:25 PM
yeah you are probably right...there are so many runners, it's just a matter of time

gagarr
08-04-2008, 01:52 PM
"Marrdro" wrote:


Thanks for the read my friend.


"At times we have too many line runners. You know that line that you put in the playbook and say, 'This is where you go,"' Childress said. "It's important that they understand the flexibility and creativity that they have along that line. ... When you're thinking about assignment only, you're thinking about that line. You're not taking in what the defense is doing and the creativity you have based on what the defense presents."

I have been looking for that quote for some time.

I think we will see a few deviations from the "line" this year as the players start to recognize what the defense is showing them and what is the acceptable deviation to exploit what they are giving.

;D


Just as long as TJ can also adjust and stay on the same page.
I think it would be better for TJ if the players are where he expects them to be.
On the other hand, Favre would have no problem as he doesn't really stay with the script anyway.

Marrdro
08-04-2008, 01:57 PM
"gagarr" wrote:


"Marrdro" wrote:


Thanks for the read my friend.


"At times we have too many line runners. You know that line that you put in the playbook and say, 'This is where you go,"' Childress said. "It's important that they understand the flexibility and creativity that they have along that line. ... When you're thinking about assignment only, you're thinking about that line. You're not taking in what the defense is doing and the creativity you have based on what the defense presents."

I have been looking for that quote for some time.

I think we will see a few deviations from the "line" this year as the players start to recognize what the defense is showing them and what is the acceptable deviation to exploit what they are giving.

;D


Just as long as TJ can also adjust and stay on the same page.
I think it would be better for TJ if the players are where he expects them to be.
On the other hand, Favre would have no problem as he doesn't really stay with the script anyway.

I agree with you 100% on the TJ comment as we all know how important it is that the WR and the QB both know what the other is doing, however,......

I disagree with you 100% on your Lord Dickhead comment.
His inability to stick to the script is the primary reason that the PUKERS are ready to move on.
Why ohhhh why would we (a offense predicated on precision) want to take on that headache?

V-Unit
08-04-2008, 01:58 PM
If your playcalling is good enough, you put your players in a position to succeed without the need to deviate from the "line".

Purple Floyd
08-04-2008, 01:59 PM
"Marrdro" wrote:


"gagarr" wrote:


"Marrdro" wrote:


Thanks for the read my friend.


"At times we have too many line runners. You know that line that you put in the playbook and say, 'This is where you go,"' Childress said. "It's important that they understand the flexibility and creativity that they have along that line. ... When you're thinking about assignment only, you're thinking about that line. You're not taking in what the defense is doing and the creativity you have based on what the defense presents."

I have been looking for that quote for some time.

I think we will see a few deviations from the "line" this year as the players start to recognize what the defense is showing them and what is the acceptable deviation to exploit what they are giving.
;D


Just as long as TJ can also adjust and stay on the same page.
I think it would be better for TJ if the players are where he expects them to be.
On the other hand, Favre would have no problem as he doesn't really stay with the script anyway.

I agree with you 100% on the TJ comment as we all know how important it is that the WR and the QB both know what the other is doing, however,......

I disagree with you 100% on your Lord Dickhead comment.
His inability to stick to the script is the primary reason that the PUKERS are ready to move on.
Why ohhhh why would we (a offense predicated on precision) want to take on that headache?



No kidding.

Are we gluttons for punishment or what?

Marrdro
08-04-2008, 08:32 PM
"V" wrote:


If your playcalling is good enough, you put your players in a position to succeed without the need to deviate from the "line".

Nice point, problem is, at times you will get to the line with your play and a audible and see something that you didn't expect (but maybe the coaches pointed out in tape/film study) and you deviate a bit from the line.

You need to have that comfort level between the skilled players to not only recognize it, but adjust at the line to that situation.

I really think (hell I know) that stuff takes time and is kindof what the ole Chiller is aluding to in his statement.
At least that is what the original article was about when he said it the first time.

Purple Floyd
08-04-2008, 10:38 PM
Smart players make coaches look good. I wonder if we are drafting smart players that it has taken so long for people to decipher the Chilly Runestone.

Potus2028
08-04-2008, 10:51 PM
i love allison. i hope he beats out ferguson for the 4 spot.

they didn't mention jaymar johnson.. anything happening with him? is it looking like he's going to make the team

Purple Floyd
08-04-2008, 10:57 PM
I am surprised he hasn't been diagnosed with ADD

Marrdro
08-05-2008, 08:01 AM
"UffDaVikes" wrote:


Smart players make coaches look good. I wonder if we are drafting smart players that it has taken so long for people to decipher the Chilly Runestone.

LOL, you might be right on that one my friend.

BleedinPandG
08-05-2008, 08:29 AM
"Potus2028" wrote:


i love allison. i hope he beats out ferguson for the 4 spot.

they didn't mention jaymar johnson.. anything happening with him? is it looking like he's going to make the team


Reading a day or two ago was saying JJ hadn't looked real strong since the first few days of camp and likely only had a shot as a return guy, likely wouldn't make it as a Receiver.

Marrdro
08-05-2008, 07:48 PM
"BleedinPandG" wrote:


"Potus2028" wrote:


i love allison. i hope he beats out ferguson for the 4 spot.

they didn't mention jaymar johnson.. anything happening with him? is it looking like he's going to make the team


Reading a day or two ago was saying JJ hadn't looked real strong since the first few days of camp and likely only had a shot as a return guy, likely wouldn't make it as a Receiver.

I hope you are wrong.
I really like that cat.
Think he will be a good fit eventually.
Maybe the PS...

Purple Floyd
08-05-2008, 07:51 PM
"Marrdro" wrote:


"BleedinPandG" wrote:


"Potus2028" wrote:


i love allison. i hope he beats out ferguson for the 4 spot.

they didn't mention jaymar johnson.. anything happening with him? is it looking like he's going to make the team


Reading a day or two ago was saying JJ hadn't looked real strong since the first few days of camp and likely only had a shot as a return guy, likely wouldn't make it as a Receiver.

I hope you are wrong.
I really like that cat.
Think he will be a good fit eventually.
Maybe the PS...


JJ's career is going to be like a fart in a bathtub. You got a quick whiff of him as he made his splash but soon he will be nothing but a fleeting memory.

singersp
08-06-2008, 06:08 AM
Allison tries to rewrite his role in second season with Vikings (http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/26319504.html?location_refer=Sports:highlightModules:2)

The aspiring screenwriter wants to prove he can be a receiving threat.

By CHIP SCOGGINS, Star Tribune

Last update: August 6, 2008 - 1:11 AM