PDA

View Full Version : Which current Vikings are HOF bound?



skum
08-02-2008, 08:02 PM
Sitting and watching the ceremonies here online..

Which current Vikings are bound for Canton?..

Darren Sharper
Kevin Williams
Matt Birk
Steve Hutchinson
Adrian Peterson

All comes to mind when talking quality players, who will get in?

ultravikingfan
08-02-2008, 08:07 PM
None yet.

cajunvike
08-02-2008, 08:24 PM
TJack

erik5032
08-02-2008, 08:26 PM
"cajunvike" wrote:


TJack


lol... Brett "flip-flop" Favre

BadlandsVikings
08-02-2008, 08:33 PM
the waterboy

Garland Greene
08-02-2008, 08:36 PM
AP is already thee isn't he from his 296 yard day. Isn't his shoes or something on display?

COJOMAY
08-02-2008, 08:37 PM
I agree with Cajun. Given the chance I think TJ could be the man. We'll know for sure after this season.

Garland Greene
08-02-2008, 08:39 PM
"COJOMAY" wrote:


I agree with Cajun. Given the chance I think TJ could be the man. We'll know for sure after this season.


What as the Janitor? ;D ;D ;D

singersp
08-02-2008, 09:00 PM
"ultravikingfan" wrote:


None yet.


Exactly! None yet. AD could turn out to be another Michael Bennett.

Formo
08-02-2008, 11:41 PM
"cajunvike" wrote:


TJack


Dangit..
I wanted to be the only person to say that.
=/

Mark these words, boys..
Tarvaris Jackson WILL be in the Hall of Fame.

Just fodder for you fools...
haha

gregair13
08-03-2008, 12:06 AM
birk and hutch need rings to get in. sharper should make it. not first ballot tho

dcboardr41
08-03-2008, 12:06 AM
id say the only ones right now are

Sharper
Birk
and Hutch

there are many that can turn into HOF's, but those are the only ones right now

tybrones87
08-03-2008, 12:29 AM
I'd realistically say nobody on our current roster will be in the HOF.

I think our best bet might be Hutchinson (if he keeps up his level of play), followed by Sharper(if he'd even go in as a Viking). Nobody else looks remotely close to HOF material to me, unless Peterson can keep playing at a high level for the next 10 years.

erik5032
08-03-2008, 01:09 AM
"Garland" wrote:


AP is already thee isn't he from his 296 yard day. Isn't his shoes or something on display?



He donated the purple No. 28 jersey and white pants he wore earlier this month while rushing for an NFL-record 296 yards for the Vikings in a victory over the San Diego Chargers.

The uniform has been guarded by the team's equipment staff since the game on Nov. 4. When Peterson said it was never washed, Joe Horrigan, a representative from the Hall of Fame, feigned disgust as he held the jersey next to him. Horrigan was headed back to Canton, Ohio, where the shrine to Peterson's accomplishment was scheduled to be on display starting Friday.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3112703

EnderVike
08-03-2008, 01:24 AM
I think they all need rings... unless AP becomes Barry Sanders

midgensa
08-03-2008, 02:00 AM
Right now it is ABSOLUTELY zero ... not even close to a debate on any of them.
With a ring Hutch almost becomes a lock I think and Birk a longshot.
All Day obviously is Hall bound if he has just six-seven more years nearly as productive as his first ... but that is still an IF.
Sharper has NO chance of making the hall, barring having a career year at 33 or 34 years old. I know we are all drinking Kool Aid around here, but while he is very good ... he is not a Hall of Fame DB. Just look at this list
http://www.profootballhof.com/hof/positions.html

They are pretty picky on DBs ... and Sharper is not close.

litlharsh
08-03-2008, 03:07 AM
Hutch makes it in easily if he continues his level of play, he's still (relatively) young, only drafted in 01. He's been the premier guard in the NFL for the majority of his career.

Overlord
08-03-2008, 03:41 AM
As some have commented already, nobody on the team would be in if their careers were to end tomorrow.
As far as who is likely to make it over time, here's my ordered list:

1. (probable) Steve Hutchinson - likely to make the HOF barring major injury or early retirement.
2. (questionable) Adrian Peterson - clearly has HOF talent, but needs something like 7 more years of production to get consideration.
3. (questionable) Jared Allen - if he can average 10+ sacks/year for ~8 more years he will get consideration
4. (doubtful) Kevin Williams - needs to get 8+ sacks/year for ~8 more years to get consideration
5. (doubtful) Darren Sharper - if he plays long enough to get the interception record he will get consideration
6. (out) Matt Birk - past his prime with zero All-Pro selections

The rest of the old guys are out.
Anything could happen with the young players.
I'm not sure a ring helps anyone very much, except for the QB.
Four or five rings could really help the entire team, though.

jkjuggalo
08-03-2008, 04:19 AM
Birk
Sharper
Hutch
Allen
AD

MaxVike
08-03-2008, 08:50 AM
Hutch - with 7 or 8 MORE years at his current playing level.

AD - with 8 or 9 MORE years at his current playing level.

That's all I can possibly, honestly, see.
Criteria is tough, one of the main things Peter King has gone on record saying he looks for is, "did he change the game?"
Hutch's contract and the "poison pill" situation, coupled with the fact that Seattle has been shitty running the ball ever since he left...changed the landscape for guards and wrecked a Team's running game.
Adrian Peterson has ALOT to prove...off to a good start.

I don't see Sharper going.
He is the "ball hawking" leader of a defense that has finished dead last in pass defense for the past two years.
I understand the importance of a pass rush on the pass defense, however, it is still a fact that the Vikes finished last and Sharper was a part of that.
It is a fact that will not be missed by the voters either.
Let's see how he plays this year, I'm optimistic the defense as a whole, including Sharper, will be better.

Jared Allen - WAHAY too early to tell.

Birk - let's revisit this one when Randall McDaniel and Mick Tinglehoff are in.

Zeus
08-03-2008, 10:19 AM
"skum" wrote:


Sitting and watching the ceremonies here online..

Which current Vikings are bound for Canton?..


At this point, I have to agree with those who say "No one".
I just don't believe that Sharper (being the oldest veteran) possesses any bit of the total ability/skills needed to be a HoF DB.


Many here have run down the list of those who COULD be HoFers after continuing a high level of play over several more seasons - Birk, Hutch, AD, etc.
However, if they were forced to retire now, none would make it.

=Z=

Schutz
08-03-2008, 10:38 AM
Why is everyone so insistant that Sharper isn't going to be a hall guy?
He may not be a first ballot but I see no reason why he won't be a HoF DB.


At the same time in their careers Darrell Green had 34 INTs and Sharper has 53.
Green had 772 tackles at that point of his career and Sharper has 798.
Green had 2 TD INTs and 2 TD Fumbles, Sharper has 8 and 2 in the same columns.
Green had 1 sack at that point and Sharper 8.
Do I really need to go on?

So just cut out this bull that Sharper isn't a HoF level DB.
He still has years to go but by all indications he has a very very good chance of making the HoF.


Oh and Sharpers 53 INTs is just one short of Green's CAREER mark, and already has 400 more INT return yards in what is arguably a harder time for the DB with penalties.

Zeus
08-03-2008, 10:51 AM
"Schutz" wrote:


Why is everyone so insistant that Sharper isn't going to be a hall guy?
He may not be a first ballot but I see no reason why he won't be a HoF DB.


At the same time in their careers Darrell Green had 34 INTs and Sharper has 53.
Green had 772 tackles at that point of his career and Sharper has 798.
Green had 2 TD INTs and 2 TD Fumbles, Sharper has 8 and 2 in the same columns.
Green had 1 sack at that point and Sharper 8.
Do I really need to go on?

So just cut out this bull that Sharper isn't a HoF level DB.
He still has years to go but by all indications he has a very very good chance of making the HoF.


Oh and Sharpers 53 INTs is just one short of Green's CAREER mark, and already has 400 more INT return yards in what is arguably a harder time for the DB with penalties.



Does Sharper play CB?
No.
Then comparing him to Darrell Green is ludicrous.

Why not compare him to, say, Ronnie Lott.


And I think the sub-par tackling skills of Darren Sharper are more than enough to keep him out of the HoF.
Safeties are supposed to be the big hitting last line of defense, not "gimme, gimme, gimme" interception devotees who get beat deep several times a season.

=Z=

Schutz
08-03-2008, 11:00 AM
"Zeus" wrote:


"Schutz" wrote:


Why is everyone so insistant that Sharper isn't going to be a hall guy?
He may not be a first ballot but I see no reason why he won't be a HoF DB.


At the same time in their careers Darrell Green had 34 INTs and Sharper has 53.
Green had 772 tackles at that point of his career and Sharper has 798.
Green had 2 TD INTs and 2 TD Fumbles, Sharper has 8 and 2 in the same columns.
Green had 1 sack at that point and Sharper 8.
Do I really need to go on?

So just cut out this bull that Sharper isn't a HoF level DB.
He still has years to go but by all indications he has a very very good chance of making the HoF.


Oh and Sharpers 53 INTs is just one short of Green's CAREER mark, and already has 400 more INT return yards in what is arguably a harder time for the DB with penalties.



Does Sharper play CB?
No.
Then comparing him to Darrell Green is ludicrous.

Why not compare him to, say, Ronnie Lott.


And I think the sub-par tackling skills of Darren Sharper are more than enough to keep him out of the HoF.
Safeties are supposed to be the big hitting last line of defense, not "gimme, gimme, gimme" interception devotees who get beat deep several times a season.

=Z=


I compared him to green because Green was pretty much the only player in the Hall who is anywhere near playing in the same time frame of Sharper.











Lott

Sharper


Same point of career.
Tack





814


798
Int






59



53
Int/Fmbl TD

5




10
Int Yards

695



1024
FF







9




8
Sacks




6.5



7

Still looks pretty comparable, but hey
maybe it's just me.

Zeus
08-03-2008, 11:04 AM
"Schutz" wrote:


"Zeus" wrote:


"Schutz" wrote:


Why is everyone so insistant that Sharper isn't going to be a hall guy?
He may not be a first ballot but I see no reason why he won't be a HoF DB.


At the same time in their careers Darrell Green had 34 INTs and Sharper has 53.
Green had 772 tackles at that point of his career and Sharper has 798.
Green had 2 TD INTs and 2 TD Fumbles, Sharper has 8 and 2 in the same columns.
Green had 1 sack at that point and Sharper 8.
Do I really need to go on?

So just cut out this bull that Sharper isn't a HoF level DB.
He still has years to go but by all indications he has a very very good chance of making the HoF.


Oh and Sharpers 53 INTs is just one short of Green's CAREER mark, and already has 400 more INT return yards in what is arguably a harder time for the DB with penalties.



Does Sharper play CB?
No.
Then comparing him to Darrell Green is ludicrous.

Why not compare him to, say, Ronnie Lott.


And I think the sub-par tackling skills of Darren Sharper are more than enough to keep him out of the HoF.
Safeties are supposed to be the big hitting last line of defense, not "gimme, gimme, gimme" interception devotees who get beat deep several times a season.


I compared him to green because Green was pretty much the only player in the Hall who is anywhere near playing in the same time frame of Sharper.











Lott


Sharper


Same point of career.
Tack





814



798
Int







59




53
Int/Fmbl TD

5




10
Int Yards


695



1024
FF







9





8
Sacks





6.5




7

Still looks pretty comparable, but hey
maybe it's just me.


But those are just the numbers.
What about that which cannot be measured in numbers?

Put it this way - do you think any team has schemed to AVOID throwing at Sharper?
Because I know they did for Ronnie Lott.

=Z=

Schutz
08-03-2008, 11:09 AM
"Zeus" wrote:


"Schutz" wrote:


"Zeus" wrote:


"Schutz" wrote:


Why is everyone so insistant that Sharper isn't going to be a hall guy?
He may not be a first ballot but I see no reason why he won't be a HoF DB.


At the same time in their careers Darrell Green had 34 INTs and Sharper has 53.
Green had 772 tackles at that point of his career and Sharper has 798.
Green had 2 TD INTs and 2 TD Fumbles, Sharper has 8 and 2 in the same columns.
Green had 1 sack at that point and Sharper 8.
Do I really need to go on?

So just cut out this bull that Sharper isn't a HoF level DB.
He still has years to go but by all indications he has a very very good chance of making the HoF.


Oh and Sharpers 53 INTs is just one short of Green's CAREER mark, and already has 400 more INT return yards in what is arguably a harder time for the DB with penalties.



Does Sharper play CB?
No.
Then comparing him to Darrell Green is ludicrous.

Why not compare him to, say, Ronnie Lott.


And I think the sub-par tackling skills of Darren Sharper are more than enough to keep him out of the HoF.
Safeties are supposed to be the big hitting last line of defense, not "gimme, gimme, gimme" interception devotees who get beat deep several times a season.


I compared him to green because Green was pretty much the only player in the Hall who is anywhere near playing in the same time frame of Sharper.











Lott


Sharper


Same point of career.
Tack





814



798
Int







59




53
Int/Fmbl TD

5




10
Int Yards


695



1024
FF







9





8
Sacks





6.5




7

Still looks pretty comparable, but hey
maybe it's just me.


But those are just the numbers.
What about that which cannot be measured in numbers?

Put it this way - do you think any team has schemed to AVOID throwing at Sharper?
Because I know they did for Ronnie Lott.

=Z=


Do you now?
Well with 53 career interceptions and leading the league twice in picks I'd sure hope a defensive coach would change his game plan or else he was a really bad coach.
You can believe what you like I guess, but Sharper has the career stats, the dominant seasons, and contrary to what you say the skill set to make him a HoF safety.
Like I said he may not be a first ballot, and Ronnie Lott might have been the better safety, but when you are that close and noticeably at the same level of guys like Lott I guess I don't see how that means you don't get in.

midgensa
08-03-2008, 11:58 AM
"Schutz" wrote:


"Zeus" wrote:


"Schutz" wrote:


"Zeus" wrote:


"Schutz" wrote:


Why is everyone so insistant that Sharper isn't going to be a hall guy?
He may not be a first ballot but I see no reason why he won't be a HoF DB.


At the same time in their careers Darrell Green had 34 INTs and Sharper has 53.
Green had 772 tackles at that point of his career and Sharper has 798.
Green had 2 TD INTs and 2 TD Fumbles, Sharper has 8 and 2 in the same columns.
Green had 1 sack at that point and Sharper 8.
Do I really need to go on?

So just cut out this bull that Sharper isn't a HoF level DB.
He still has years to go but by all indications he has a very very good chance of making the HoF.


Oh and Sharpers 53 INTs is just one short of Green's CAREER mark, and already has 400 more INT return yards in what is arguably a harder time for the DB with penalties.



Does Sharper play CB?
No.
Then comparing him to Darrell Green is ludicrous.

Why not compare him to, say, Ronnie Lott.


And I think the sub-par tackling skills of Darren Sharper are more than enough to keep him out of the HoF.
Safeties are supposed to be the big hitting last line of defense, not "gimme, gimme, gimme" interception devotees who get beat deep several times a season.


I compared him to green because Green was pretty much the only player in the Hall who is anywhere near playing in the same time frame of Sharper.











Lott


Sharper


Same point of career.
Tack





814



798
Int







59




53
Int/Fmbl TD

5




10
Int Yards


695



1024
FF







9





8
Sacks





6.5




7

Still looks pretty comparable, but hey
maybe it's just me.


But those are just the numbers.
What about that which cannot be measured in numbers?

Put it this way - do you think any team has schemed to AVOID throwing at Sharper?
Because I know they did for Ronnie Lott.

=Z=


Do you now?
Well with 53 career interceptions and leading the league twice in picks I'd sure hope a defensive coach would change his game plan or else he was a really bad coach.
You can believe what you like I guess, but Sharper has the career stats, the dominant seasons, and contrary to what you say the skill set to make him a HoF safety.
Like I said he may not be a first ballot, and Ronnie Lott might have been the better safety, but when you are that close and noticeably at the same level of guys like Lott I guess I don't see how that means you don't get in.



Just to let you know ... he has only led the league in picks ONCE. Ronnie Lott (even without it being his strong suit) led the league in INTs TWICE. Lott had 814 tackels 'by this point in his career' Sharper only has 615 ... not the 798 you are stating ... so make sure you get these numbers correct here.
Darren Sharper, 4-time Pro Bowler and 1 Time All-Pro ... Ronnie Lott 10-time Pro-Bowler and 6 time All-Pro.
Lott the anchor to three Super Bowl champion defense. Sharper ... well ... he has been pretty good on some crappy defenses.
These guys are NOT even close. Lott is generally regarded as the greatest safety of all time. Sharper has never even been the top safety in the league.
These guys are not even close. L

midgensa
08-03-2008, 12:05 PM
oops ... make that FOUR world championships for Lott.

MetalMike-LoudVike
08-03-2008, 12:06 PM
Sharper I can can see going in. But then again I would say Steve Hutchinson OR Matt Birk should also, Other than that I can't really see anybody else who really stands out.

Overlord
08-03-2008, 12:58 PM
"Schutz" wrote:


Why is everyone so insistant that Sharper isn't going to be a hall guy?
He may not be a first ballot but I see no reason why he won't be a HoF DB.



There was actually a thread devoted entirely to Sharper's HOF chances awhile back if you want to take a look at some of the old arguments (link (http://www.purplepride.org/forums/index.php?topic=44010.0)).

But I think midgensa pretty much got the main reason.
Sharper hasn't been considered dominant, as evidenced by his (relatively) low number of Pro Bowls and All-Pro mentions.
There's a very high bar for modern defensive backs in the Hall, and Sharper hasn't cleared that bar.
Without the high All-Pro count, I think he needs the interception record to clear that bar.

Schutz
08-03-2008, 01:10 PM
"midgensa" wrote:


"Schutz" wrote:


"Zeus" wrote:


"Schutz" wrote:


"Zeus" wrote:




Why is everyone so insistant that Sharper isn't going to be a hall guy?
He may not be a first ballot but I see no reason why he won't be a HoF DB.


At the same time in their careers Darrell Green had 34 INTs and Sharper has 53.
Green had 772 tackles at that point of his career and Sharper has 798.
Green had 2 TD INTs and 2 TD Fumbles, Sharper has 8 and 2 in the same columns.
Green had 1 sack at that point and Sharper 8.
Do I really need to go on?

So just cut out this bull that Sharper isn't a HoF level DB.
He still has years to go but by all indications he has a very very good chance of making the HoF.


Oh and Sharpers 53 INTs is just one short of Green's CAREER mark, and already has 400 more INT return yards in what is arguably a harder time for the DB with penalties.



Does Sharper play CB?
No.
Then comparing him to Darrell Green is ludicrous.

Why not compare him to, say, Ronnie Lott.


And I think the sub-par tackling skills of Darren Sharper are more than enough to keep him out of the HoF.
Safeties are supposed to be the big hitting last line of defense, not "gimme, gimme, gimme" interception devotees who get beat deep several times a season.


I compared him to green because Green was pretty much the only player in the Hall who is anywhere near playing in the same time frame of Sharper.











Lott


Sharper


Same point of career.
Tack





814



798
Int







59




53
Int/Fmbl TD

5




10
Int Yards


695



1024
FF







9





8
Sacks





6.5




7

Still looks pretty comparable, but hey
maybe it's just me.


But those are just the numbers.
What about that which cannot be measured in numbers?

Put it this way - do you think any team has schemed to AVOID throwing at Sharper?
Because I know they did for Ronnie Lott.

=Z=


Do you now?
Well with 53 career interceptions and leading the league twice in picks I'd sure hope a defensive coach would change his game plan or else he was a really bad coach.
You can believe what you like I guess, but Sharper has the career stats, the dominant seasons, and contrary to what you say the skill set to make him a HoF safety.
Like I said he may not be a first ballot, and Ronnie Lott might have been the better safety, but when you are that close and noticeably at the same level of guys like Lott I guess I don't see how that means you don't get in.



Just to let you know ... he has only led the league in picks ONCE. Ronnie Lott (even without it being his strong suit) led the league in INTs TWICE. Lott had 814 tackels 'by this point in his career' Sharper only has 615 ... not the 798 you are stating ... so make sure you get these numbers correct here.
Darren Sharper, 4-time Pro Bowler and 1 Time All-Pro ... Ronnie Lott 10-time Pro-Bowler and 6 time All-Pro.
Lott the anchor to three Super Bowl champion defense. Sharper ... well ... he has been pretty good on some crappy defenses.
These guys are NOT even close. Lott is generally regarded as the greatest safety of all time. Sharper has never even been the top safety in the league.
These guys are not even close. L


My bad on a couple things.
Sharper lead the League twice not the nfl, and the site I was looking at just listed total tackles for sharper and not solo and assist.
Also Lott did not lead the league twice, at least according to the NFL website. http://www.nfl.com/history/randf/records/indiv/ints

Also I don't care about pro bowl appearances, and should not be a factor.
Sharper still has a great shot at ending his career in the top 5 INT leaders of all time, and will almost assuradly finish in the top ten.
Out of the top 10 all time 7 are in the HOF, good odds for Sharper.
I'm not trying to say he's as good as Lott, but he's in the neighborhood and I believe his stats and career will get him in eventually(as for playing on crappy teams how is that his fault?
I guess he should have won the superbowl by himself?)
Not to mention he's already top 5 in Int TDs, and will more thank likely be top five in yards.
You underestimate Darren Sharper.

midgensa
08-03-2008, 01:50 PM
"Schutz" wrote:


"midgensa" wrote:


"Schutz" wrote:


"Zeus" wrote:


"Schutz" wrote:






Why is everyone so insistant that Sharper isn't going to be a hall guy?
He may not be a first ballot but I see no reason why he won't be a HoF DB.


At the same time in their careers Darrell Green had 34 INTs and Sharper has 53.
Green had 772 tackles at that point of his career and Sharper has 798.
Green had 2 TD INTs and 2 TD Fumbles, Sharper has 8 and 2 in the same columns.
Green had 1 sack at that point and Sharper 8.
Do I really need to go on?

So just cut out this bull that Sharper isn't a HoF level DB.
He still has years to go but by all indications he has a very very good chance of making the HoF.


Oh and Sharpers 53 INTs is just one short of Green's CAREER mark, and already has 400 more INT return yards in what is arguably a harder time for the DB with penalties.



Does Sharper play CB?
No.
Then comparing him to Darrell Green is ludicrous.

Why not compare him to, say, Ronnie Lott.


And I think the sub-par tackling skills of Darren Sharper are more than enough to keep him out of the HoF.
Safeties are supposed to be the big hitting last line of defense, not "gimme, gimme, gimme" interception devotees who get beat deep several times a season.


I compared him to green because Green was pretty much the only player in the Hall who is anywhere near playing in the same time frame of Sharper.











Lott


Sharper


Same point of career.
Tack





814



798
Int







59




53
Int/Fmbl TD

5




10
Int Yards


695



1024
FF







9





8
Sacks





6.5




7

Still looks pretty comparable, but hey
maybe it's just me.


But those are just the numbers.
What about that which cannot be measured in numbers?

Put it this way - do you think any team has schemed to AVOID throwing at Sharper?
Because I know they did for Ronnie Lott.

=Z=


Do you now?
Well with 53 career interceptions and leading the league twice in picks I'd sure hope a defensive coach would change his game plan or else he was a really bad coach.
You can believe what you like I guess, but Sharper has the career stats, the dominant seasons, and contrary to what you say the skill set to make him a HoF safety.
Like I said he may not be a first ballot, and Ronnie Lott might have been the better safety, but when you are that close and noticeably at the same level of guys like Lott I guess I don't see how that means you don't get in.



Just to let you know ... he has only led the league in picks ONCE. Ronnie Lott (even without it being his strong suit) led the league in INTs TWICE. Lott had 814 tackels 'by this point in his career' Sharper only has 615 ... not the 798 you are stating ... so make sure you get these numbers correct here.
Darren Sharper, 4-time Pro Bowler and 1 Time All-Pro ... Ronnie Lott 10-time Pro-Bowler and 6 time All-Pro.
Lott the anchor to three Super Bowl champion defense. Sharper ... well ... he has been pretty good on some crappy defenses.
These guys are NOT even close. Lott is generally regarded as the greatest safety of all time. Sharper has never even been the top safety in the league.
These guys are not even close. L


My bad on a couple things.
Sharper lead the League twice not the nfl, and the site I was looking at just listed total tackles for sharper and not solo and assist.
Also Lott did not lead the league twice, at least according to the NFL website. http://www.nfl.com/history/randf/records/indiv/ints

Also I don't care about pro bowl appearances, and should not be a factor.
Sharper still has a great shot at ending his career in the top 5 INT leaders of all time, and will almost assuradly finish in the top ten.
Out of the top 10 all time 7 are in the HOF, good odds for Sharper.
I'm not trying to say he's as good as Lott, but he's in the neighborhood and I believe his stats and career will get him in eventually(as for playing on crappy teams how is that his fault?
I guess he should have won the superbowl by himself?)
Not to mention he's already top 5 in Int TDs, and will more thank likely be top five in yards.
You underestimate Darren Sharper.


http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/L/LottRo00.htm
There is Ronnie Lott leading the NFL twice in INTs for ya. And yes ... on that site you sent me to his name is clearly on it. Sharper has an outside shot at getting into the top 10 (which is actually 14 people ONLY six of which are in the hall just to clear you up again on another mistake there. So not 'good odds for Sharper.' http://www.pro-football-reference.com/leaders/def_int_career.htm)
I don't underestimate him ... I am just pointing out that he is a poor tackler (a safety with only 615 tackles in 11 years? Never more than 84? Ronnie Lott had more than 100 tackles FOUR times), not very good in man-on-man coverage and has never helped his team be a dominant defense.
Yes he should be punished for never playing with a good defense, because if he is that impactful the teams he has been with should have had dominant defenses.
You can keep the purple glasses on all you want ... and argue your side until your face turns blue, and maybe to a VERY select few he is a hall of famer. But to the people who select it and make Andre Tippett and Art Monk wait as long as they did ... there is NO chance that Darren Sharper gets close.

Overlord
08-03-2008, 01:50 PM
"Schutz" wrote:


Also I don't care about pro bowl appearances, and should not be a factor.
Sharper still has a great shot at ending his career in the top 5 INT leaders of all time, and will almost assuradly finish in the top ten.
Out of the top 10 all time 7 are in the HOF, good odds for Sharper.
I'm not trying to say he's as good as Lott, but he's in the neighborhood and I believe his stats and career will get him in eventually(as for playing on crappy teams how is that his fault?
I guess he should have won the superbowl by himself?)
Not to mention he's already top 5 in Int TDs, and will more thank likely be top five in yards.
You underestimate Darren Sharper.


The voters do care about Pro Bowl appearances and they are a factor.
Here is a list showing Pro Bowls and All-Pro awards for the top nine guys in career interceptions (5 tied at #10, so I didn't bother):


RankNameHOF?INTsPro BowlsAll-Pros
1.KrauseYes8183
2.TunnellYes7994
3.WoodsonN/E71116
4.LaneYes6873
5.RileyNo6501
6.LottYes63106
7.BrownNo6210
7.LeBeauNo6230
9.ThomasYes5851


There's a pretty clear correlation between the Pro Bowls/All-Pros and getting into the Hall.
Thomas was a little low, and it took him almost 25 years to get in.
It's possible that could be Sharper's fate as well, but that's about the best he could hope for if he doesn't get a lot closer to the record.
There are just too many guys in the 50's for INTs and not very many DBs getting in.

Schutz
08-03-2008, 01:59 PM
"Overlord" wrote:


"Schutz" wrote:


Also I don't care about pro bowl appearances, and should not be a factor.
Sharper still has a great shot at ending his career in the top 5 INT leaders of all time, and will almost assuradly finish in the top ten.
Out of the top 10 all time 7 are in the HOF, good odds for Sharper.
I'm not trying to say he's as good as Lott, but he's in the neighborhood and I believe his stats and career will get him in eventually(as for playing on crappy teams how is that his fault?
I guess he should have won the superbowl by himself?)
Not to mention he's already top 5 in Int TDs, and will more thank likely be top five in yards.
You underestimate Darren Sharper.


The voters do care about Pro Bowl appearances and they are a factor.
Here is a list showing Pro Bowls and All-Pro awards for the top nine guys in career interceptions (5 tied at #10, so I didn't bother):


RankNameHOF?INTsPro BowlsAll-Pros
1.KrauseYes8183
2.TunnellYes7994
3.WoodsonN/E71116
4.LaneYes6873
5.RileyNo6501
6.LottYes63106
7.BrownNo6210
7.LeBeauNo6230
9.ThomasYes5851


There's a pretty clear correlation between the Pro Bowls/All-Pros and getting into the Hall.
Thomas was a little low, and it took him almost 25 years to get in.
It's possible that could be Sharper's fate as well, but that's about the best he could hope for if he doesn't get a lot closer to the record.
There are just too many guys in the 50's for INTs and not very many DBs getting in.



I agree there are alot of 50's, but Sharper has a good chance of ending his career in the mid 60's and maybe even 70 unless he totally nose dives for some reason.
I think if he puts together the combination of top five in Int Int Yards and Int TDs it will put him in since he'd be the only player in all three.
Might take awhile, but I think he'll make it, maybe I'm wrong and the Voters will slam the door on him but I don't think so.

singersp
08-03-2008, 03:53 PM
"gregair13" wrote:


birk and hutch need rings to get in. sharper should make it. not first ballot tho


Why would you say that? There are several Vikings in the HOF. How many of them have rings?

i_bleed_purple
08-03-2008, 04:02 PM
What about Richardson?
Do you think he could be a HOF fullback?
Its tough for fullbacks to get in though.

Overlord
08-03-2008, 05:29 PM
"i_bleed_purple" wrote:


What about Richardson?
Do you think he could be a HOF fullback?
Its tough for fullbacks to get in though.



It's hard for me to envision any modern era fullback making it into the HOF.
If you look at the players that are in the Hall and listed as fullbacks you will see that they are actually in primarily for their abilities to run with the ball.
Modern fullbacks are rarely used to carry the ball, so aren't able to put up numbers that can get them in.

The only fullbacks I can think of even worth mentioning are Mike Alstott (7000+ career yards and 71 TDs) and Larry Centers (about 9000 career yards and 41 TDs).
I doubt either gets in.

Richardson (3000+ career yards and 24 TDs) is out of the question.

Schutz
08-03-2008, 05:33 PM
"Overlord" wrote:


"i_bleed_purple" wrote:


What about Richardson?
Do you think he could be a HOF fullback?
Its tough for fullbacks to get in though.



It's hard for me to envision any modern era fullback making it into the HOF.
If you look at the players that are in the Hall and listed as fullbacks you will see that they are actually in primarily for their abilities to run with the ball.
Modern fullbacks are rarely used to carry the ball, so aren't able to put up numbers that can get them in.

The only fullbacks I can think of even worth mentioning are Mike Alstott (7000+ career yards and 71 TDs) and Larry Centers (about 9000 career yards and 41 TDs).
I doubt either gets in.

Richardson (3000+ career yards and 24 TDs) is out of the question.


I don't know, the voters are pretty good about giving the OL the credit they deserve, I could see a great blocking back making it in at some point.

i_bleed_purple
08-03-2008, 05:42 PM
but the game changes.
I forget his name, but the one guy led the league in passing, interceptions and punting all in one season.
Players don't do that anymore.
as the game evolves, positions change, and the voting should take that into consideration.

Schutz
08-03-2008, 05:45 PM
"i_bleed_purple" wrote:


but the game changes.
I forget his name, but the one guy led the league in passing, interceptions and punting all in one season.
Players don't do that anymore.
as the game evolves, positions change, and the voting should take that into consideration.


It will.........................when the older half of the voting body dies or retires.

erik5032
08-03-2008, 05:55 PM
Games are won and lost in the trenches... more O-line players should be in the HOF along with more D-line.

i_bleed_purple
08-03-2008, 06:00 PM
yes, but think this way, if they put in more linemen, then who do you not put in?
guys like cris carter?

Overlord
08-03-2008, 06:33 PM
"Schutz" wrote:


"Overlord" wrote:


"i_bleed_purple" wrote:


What about Richardson?
Do you think he could be a HOF fullback?
Its tough for fullbacks to get in though.



It's hard for me to envision any modern era fullback making it into the HOF.
If you look at the players that are in the Hall and listed as fullbacks you will see that they are actually in primarily for their abilities to run with the ball.
Modern fullbacks are rarely used to carry the ball, so aren't able to put up numbers that can get them in.

The only fullbacks I can think of even worth mentioning are Mike Alstott (7000+ career yards and 71 TDs) and Larry Centers (about 9000 career yards and 41 TDs).
I doubt either gets in.

Richardson (3000+ career yards and 24 TDs) is out of the question.


I don't know, the voters are pretty good about giving the OL the credit they deserve, I could see a great blocking back making it in at some point.


I see what you're saying, but I just don't think that it will happen.
Not that there couldn't be a great fullback that deserves the recognition, but there are a few things I see as standing in the way.

First, fullbacks just aren't used very often anymore.
The Vikings used a fullback on about 35% of their offensive plays last year, preferring to have an extra TE or WR.
Most teams are going this way, and more dramatically than the Vikings.

Second, it's difficult to judge how effective a fullback really is.
Offensive linemen can be judged on how many sacks they give up and how they match-up with great defensive linemen, but fullbacks are all over the field.
Look at the Pro Bowl choices for fullbacks.
It's pretty much a question of who is blocking for the best halfback.

If a fullback finds himself in the right system and is so incredibly dominant compared to other players at the same position as to get noticed, then I think it could happen.
But I don't think either of those things are likely to happen, and not together.

DaunteHOF
08-03-2008, 06:48 PM
Kevin wiliams and AD as of right now

PurplePeopleEaters
08-03-2008, 11:23 PM
Matt Birk should be in the hall no doubt in my mind. Steve Hutchinson will probably be another who gets in. Although I could see both of them getting snubbed as well. Peterson has a long way to go before he's a hall of famer. Continue the production of last year over the course of 10 years, he's in no doubt. Kevin Williams will have a shot if he keeps his production up. Would love to see Sharper in there but that's not happeing. How about moss if he retires a Viking? Maybe? no?

de_real_deal
08-03-2008, 11:27 PM
Tavarias Jackson.
Or at least you would think so if you listened to some people on here :)

cajunvike
08-03-2008, 11:43 PM
"de_real_deal" wrote:


Tavarias Jackson.
Or at least you would think so if you listened to some people on here :)


He will get there before that hack, Aaron Rodgers.
Dude looked like crap tonight in Lambeau from all credible reports.

midgensa
08-04-2008, 12:14 AM
"PurplePeopleEaters" wrote:


Matt Birk should be in the hall no doubt in my mind. Steve Hutchinson will probably be another who gets in. Although I could see both of them getting snubbed as well. Peterson has a long way to go before he's a hall of famer. Continue the production of last year over the course of 10 years, he's in no doubt. Kevin Williams will have a shot if he keeps his production up. Would love to see Sharper in there but that's not happeing. How about moss if he retires a Viking? Maybe? no?


Eh ... I love Matt Birk and all, but there is no chance he will get in. He was never even an All-Pro and the hall is picky about offensive lineman. Hutchinson should get in assuming he is at the top of the guards list in the NFL for another four years or so. Kevin Williams is a toughy. He will make a run at maybe as many as 6 or 7 All-Pro seasons which will definitely make him in the mix, especially if he gets a ring.

ultravikingfan
08-04-2008, 12:47 AM
"midgensa" wrote:


"PurplePeopleEaters" wrote:


Matt Birk should be in the hall no doubt in my mind. Steve Hutchinson will probably be another who gets in. Although I could see both of them getting snubbed as well. Peterson has a long way to go before he's a hall of famer. Continue the production of last year over the course of 10 years, he's in no doubt. Kevin Williams will have a shot if he keeps his production up. Would love to see Sharper in there but that's not happeing. How about moss if he retires a Viking? Maybe? no?


Eh ... I love Matt Birk and all, but there is no chance he will get in. He was never even an All-Pro and the hall is picky about offensive lineman. Hutchinson should get in assuming he is at the top of the guards list in the NFL for another four years or so. Kevin Williams is a toughy. He will make a run at maybe as many as 6 or 7 All-Pro seasons which will definitely make him in the mix, especially if he gets a ring.


Agreed.
I just cannot believe how many people think some of these guys are Hall of Famers.
Shit, Marshall is not even in there or Doleman for that matter.

They may be good, but not HoF worthy yet.
Take off the purple-tinted shades and look at this with sense.

erik5032
08-04-2008, 01:13 AM
So do any of you think Vinitieri should make it into the hall of fame? How bout someone like Gary Anderson? I know there is only 1 full kicker in the HOF.

They need to revamp the HOF to have guidelines for every position INCLUDING kicker. I mean there are kickers like Vinitieri who win superbowls for the team. He is a great kicker and they should be represented in the HOF. How would you put a punter in? I don't know but there are ways to figure out what stats make up a HOF player no matter the position.

midgensa
08-04-2008, 01:16 AM
"ultravikingfan" wrote:


"midgensa" wrote:


"PurplePeopleEaters" wrote:


Matt Birk should be in the hall no doubt in my mind. Steve Hutchinson will probably be another who gets in. Although I could see both of them getting snubbed as well. Peterson has a long way to go before he's a hall of famer. Continue the production of last year over the course of 10 years, he's in no doubt. Kevin Williams will have a shot if he keeps his production up. Would love to see Sharper in there but that's not happeing. How about moss if he retires a Viking? Maybe? no?


Eh ... I love Matt Birk and all, but there is no chance he will get in. He was never even an All-Pro and the hall is picky about offensive lineman. Hutchinson should get in assuming he is at the top of the guards list in the NFL for another four years or so. Kevin Williams is a toughy. He will make a run at maybe as many as 6 or 7 All-Pro seasons which will definitely make him in the mix, especially if he gets a ring.


Agreed.
I just cannot believe how many people think some of these guys are Hall of Famers.
Shit, Marshall is not even in there or Doleman for that matter.

They may be good, but not HoF worthy yet.
Take off the purple-tinted shades and look at this with sense.


Yeah. This thread has more or less made me laugh quite a bit. There are what? 6 current Vikes in the Hall (I don't have time to count) and all of a sudden people think that the current roster has 4-7 more? Really? I mean seriously?

erik5032
08-04-2008, 01:18 AM
"midgensa" wrote:


"ultravikingfan" wrote:


"midgensa" wrote:


"PurplePeopleEaters" wrote:


Matt Birk should be in the hall no doubt in my mind. Steve Hutchinson will probably be another who gets in. Although I could see both of them getting snubbed as well. Peterson has a long way to go before he's a hall of famer. Continue the production of last year over the course of 10 years, he's in no doubt. Kevin Williams will have a shot if he keeps his production up. Would love to see Sharper in there but that's not happeing. How about moss if he retires a Viking? Maybe? no?


Eh ... I love Matt Birk and all, but there is no chance he will get in. He was never even an All-Pro and the hall is picky about offensive lineman. Hutchinson should get in assuming he is at the top of the guards list in the NFL for another four years or so. Kevin Williams is a toughy. He will make a run at maybe as many as 6 or 7 All-Pro seasons which will definitely make him in the mix, especially if he gets a ring.


Agreed.
I just cannot believe how many people think some of these guys are Hall of Famers.
Shit, Marshall is not even in there or Doleman for that matter.

They may be good, but not HoF worthy yet.
Take off the purple-tinted shades and look at this with sense.


Yeah. This thread has more or less made me laugh quite a bit. There are what? 6 current Vikes in the Hall (I don't have time to count) and all of a sudden people think that the current roster has 4-7 more? Really? I mean seriously?


I agree... IF Adrian Peterson keeps up his playing the way he did the first year then yes he is in the HOF, but really I don't see any others. Maybe Allen if he can keep having those great years. What would really help this Minnesota Vikings teams of any era to go into the HOF is a DAMN superbowl ring!

I don't think people take canton as seriously as they should. I was on facebook the other day and i got invited to a group that said Sean Taylor for HOF induction. Just because he died doesn't make him worthy. I would rather have Canton be hard to get into then easy. Being inducted into the hall of fame is not anything to take lightly. As a fan of the game and of sports period the HOF of any sport is very important to keep sacred. Once you start letting anyone in the place becomes just a place to remember football not the greats that made football what it is today.

midgensa
08-04-2008, 01:22 AM
"erik5032" wrote:


"midgensa" wrote:


"ultravikingfan" wrote:


"midgensa" wrote:


"PurplePeopleEaters" wrote:


Matt Birk should be in the hall no doubt in my mind. Steve Hutchinson will probably be another who gets in. Although I could see both of them getting snubbed as well. Peterson has a long way to go before he's a hall of famer. Continue the production of last year over the course of 10 years, he's in no doubt. Kevin Williams will have a shot if he keeps his production up. Would love to see Sharper in there but that's not happeing. How about moss if he retires a Viking? Maybe? no?


Eh ... I love Matt Birk and all, but there is no chance he will get in. He was never even an All-Pro and the hall is picky about offensive lineman. Hutchinson should get in assuming he is at the top of the guards list in the NFL for another four years or so. Kevin Williams is a toughy. He will make a run at maybe as many as 6 or 7 All-Pro seasons which will definitely make him in the mix, especially if he gets a ring.


Agreed.
I just cannot believe how many people think some of these guys are Hall of Famers.
Shit, Marshall is not even in there or Doleman for that matter.

They may be good, but not HoF worthy yet.
Take off the purple-tinted shades and look at this with sense.


Yeah. This thread has more or less made me laugh quite a bit. There are what? 6 current Vikes in the Hall (I don't have time to count) and all of a sudden people think that the current roster has 4-7 more? Really? I mean seriously?


I agree... IF Adrian Peterson keeps up his playing the way he did the first year then yes he is in the HOF, but really I don't anymore. Maybe Allen if he can keep having those great years. What would really help this Minnesota Vikings teams of any era to go into the HOF is a DAMN superbowl ring!


Yeah a ring would help immensely. I think that Hutch likely makes it too assuming he adds a couple more all-pro seasons to his resume. But outside of that ... there is not much hall worthy talent on our team. Not without the rings for sure.

thevikingfan
08-04-2008, 02:04 AM
Current viking

Peterson
Hutch
K-will

Other viking to make it in next year

Randal mcdaniel
Chris Carter
John randle

ultravikingfan
08-04-2008, 02:28 AM
Although K-Will is one of the better DT's now, he is not even close to HoF.

Look how many great DT's there have been that are never going to make it.


Remember, the Hall is exclusive.

Zeus
08-04-2008, 07:49 AM
"i_bleed_purple" wrote:


but the game changes.
I forget his name, but the one guy led the league in passing, interceptions and punting all in one season.
Players don't do that anymore.
as the game evolves, positions change, and the voting should take that into consideration.


Sammy Baugh, I'm guessing, but didn't Bobby Layne also punt?

=Z=

Purple Floyd
08-04-2008, 10:46 AM
we need to put a few lombardi's on the mantle before any of the current guys are a lock

Mr-holland
08-04-2008, 10:54 AM
If we could be the #1 against the run for a couple of more years, KW could go to the HoF if he picks up some sacks along the way.

Or am i talking out of my ass now?

skum
08-04-2008, 11:33 AM
"erik5032" wrote:


So do any of you think Vinitieri should make it into the hall of fame? How bout someone like Gary Anderson? I know there is only 1 full kicker in the HOF.

They need to revamp the HOF to have guidelines for every position INCLUDING kicker. I mean there are kickers like Vinitieri who win superbowls for the team. He is a great kicker and they should be represented in the HOF. How would you put a punter in? I don't know but there are ways to figure out what stats make up a HOF player no matter the position.


Both Morten and Gary should make it at some point

i_bleed_purple
08-04-2008, 11:50 AM
"skum" wrote:


"erik5032" wrote:


So do any of you think Vinitieri should make it into the hall of fame? How bout someone like Gary Anderson? I know there is only 1 full kicker in the HOF.

They need to revamp the HOF to have guidelines for every position INCLUDING kicker. I mean there are kickers like Vinitieri who win superbowls for the team. He is a great kicker and they should be represented in the HOF. How would you put a punter in? I don't know but there are ways to figure out what stats make up a HOF player no matter the position.


Both Morten and Gary should make it at some point


agreed.
Do you think Elam would make it?

purplepat
08-06-2008, 03:15 PM
I think Hutchinson, Birk, and Peterson all have a shot...but a lot will depend on Peterson's future success and Birk's ability to play another four to five seasons at a Pro Bowl level.

In Hutchinson's case, consider the MVP season Shaun Alexander had.
Now imagine Adrian Peterson doing the same thing.
I think Hutchinson would get a lot of credit for these guys being so successful, and it would cement his legacy as one of the all time great guards.
A SB ring wouldnt hurt either.

In Birk's case, he didn't start at center for the Vikings until his third season.
In the eight years since his first start, he missed one full season due to injury and was selected to the Pro Bowl in six of the other seven seasons.
If he can play five more seasons (which would take him to the age of 38) and make the Pro Bowl four more times, I think he'd get a lot of consideration for the HOF.
A ten time Pro Bowler...come on, how are you going to keep a guy like that out of the HOF?

Peterson must play another 8-10 seasons producing the kind of numbers he did last season to have any shot, but he undoubtedly played at a HOF level last season.
The big question is whether he will produce at that level for that long.

Darren Sharper is another guy that must continue to play another three or four seasons at a high level to really have a chance.
He'll turn 33 this season, and goes into this year with 53 career interceptions.
Let's say he really has a bang up year and picks off 8.
That would put him at 61, 20 behind all time leader Paul Krause.
I don't know that Sharper can ever catch Krause, but he can come close enough by picking off another eight over the next two seasons after this one to merit serious HOF consideration.
Ronnie Lott had 63 career picks and was 35 when he retired.
Rod Woodson was 38 when he retired with 71 career picks.

Schutz
08-06-2008, 05:09 PM
"skum" wrote:


"erik5032" wrote:


So do any of you think Vinitieri should make it into the hall of fame? How bout someone like Gary Anderson? I know there is only 1 full kicker in the HOF.

They need to revamp the HOF to have guidelines for every position INCLUDING kicker. I mean there are kickers like Vinitieri who win superbowls for the team. He is a great kicker and they should be represented in the HOF. How would you put a punter in? I don't know but there are ways to figure out what stats make up a HOF player no matter the position.


Both Morten and Gary should make it at some point


I would be very suprised if Vinitieri didn't make it in with all the clutch kicks he's made, if any kicker was deserving right now it would be one of Mort Gary or Adam.
I just feel even though kickers are overlooked sometimes there are guys who are at that level.
It helps that Vinitieri's hand is weighed down with superbowl rings.