PDA

View Full Version : Receivers blocking downfield for the run

StillPurple
07-24-2008, 08:08 PM
Noticed how Denver coach Mike Shanahan praised Rod Smith today for his unselfish downfield blocking. He then said, "one of the reasons we have one of the best running games in the NFL is because of our receivers blocking downfield". I think that this is one very underestimated aspect of the pro game.

I did notice that in 2007, our WRs blocked very, very well downfield for AP and Chester. I think this will continue. I also think that this becomes a virtuous circle:

- Running backs get better blocks downfield and break off bigger runs
- Receivers see that and block harder to be able to spring them "again"

Vikes_King
07-24-2008, 08:39 PM
"StillPurple" wrote:

Noticed how Denver coach Mike Shanahan praised Rod Smith today for his unselfish downfield blocking. He then said, "one of the reasons we have one of the best running games in the NFL is because of our receivers blocking downfield". I think that this is one very underestimated aspect of the pro game.

I did notice that in 2007, our WRs blocked very, very well downfield for AP and Chester. I think this will continue. I also think that this becomes a virtuous circle:

Yup.
There was an article about this earlier during the offseason about the Vikings receivers and their abilities to block downfield.
They said its even part of receiver work outs now

Zeus
07-24-2008, 09:06 PM
"Vikes_King" wrote:

"StillPurple" wrote:

Yup.
There was an article about this earlier during the offseason about the Vikings receivers and their abilities to block downfield.

Yup.
It's one of the things that WR coach George Stewart has really emphasized with the Vikings receivers.

=Z=

Vikes_King
07-24-2008, 09:08 PM
"Zeus" wrote:

"Vikes_King" wrote:

"StillPurple" wrote:

Yup.

Yup.
It's one of the things that WR coach George Stewart has really emphasized with the Vikings receivers.

=Z=

And if anyone doubt thats, just check out chester taylors huge run vs the 49ers?
Rice and I believe Fergie were both down there shovin people around

Capital_J
07-24-2008, 09:12 PM
absoultely, wade and fergie last year especially, rice was pretty good too. i think i might've even seen troy williamson throw a block once.

Purple Floyd
07-24-2008, 09:13 PM
Now, if we can just get a group that can catch,we will be set.

DaunteHOF
07-24-2008, 09:18 PM
yeaah, one thing our receivers do pretty well. hopefully now they can catch the damn ball and get some YAC

StillPurple
07-25-2008, 12:26 AM
Ferguson was a blocking machine in 2007. He deserves a lot of praise for it.

In the first Super Bowl that Rod Smith won, he says it was his best game. And yet, he caught not a single pass (he blocked a LOT). Think about it. How many receivers would say that ? T.O. ? Moss ? Chad Johnson ?

There is a reason that those receivers don't have rings, and Rod Smith has TWO.
;D

Formo
07-25-2008, 01:31 AM
"StillPurple" wrote:

Ferguson was a blocking machine in 2007. He deserves a lot of praise for it.

In the first Super Bowl that Rod Smith won, he says it was his best game. And yet, he caught not a single pass (he blocked a LOT). Think about it. How many receivers would say that ? T.O. ? Moss ? Chad Johnson ?

There is a reason that those receivers don't have rings, and Rod Smith has TWO.
;D

Good point.

As an old high school blocking WR (we NEVER threw the ball in HS), I REALLY like blocking WRs.
And Chester's run in San Fran reminded me much of my high school days.

digital420
07-25-2008, 03:30 AM
there is def an understanding that the wr's need to block.

and i think they are happy about getting the recognition for it. i mean how many times have you seen articles written about wr's that was about blocking and not td's, speed, leaping, or route running (or even dropping/catching)

this was a major key in the success of our long distance runs.

and i hope it continues to develop!!

DiGiTaL

Marrdro
07-25-2008, 07:14 AM
Couple of things about WR's that like to block....

a. They learn to use thier hands and that helps them when they need to break press coverage.
I think Rice and AA will still struggle with getting loose against the better Man-to-man CB's in the league but they will beat them as well as a result of learning how to use thier hands against NFL caliber CB's and S's.

b.
CB/S's will see alot of tape of our WR's blocking and will always have that in the back of thier minds which will at times cause them to hesitate just a bit with respect to jamming so that they don't get taken out of a running play.
This will help with the play action pass alot this year.

Again, Rice and AA are 2nd year WR's and probably aren't gonna be the stellar WR's alot of people on here seem to think they will.
I am still of the opinion that most WR's take 3 years to get thier game together.
Those 2 cats will be going into thier second year.

That equates to a assumption from me that a little bit of inconsistency is still to be expected of them.

Purple Floyd
07-25-2008, 07:22 AM
"Marrdro" wrote:

a. They learn to use thier hands and that helps them when they need to break press coverage.
I think Rice and AA will still struggle with getting loose against the better Man-to-man CB's in the league but they will beat them as well as a result of learning how to use thier hands against NFL caliber CB's and S's.

b.
CB/S's will see alot of tape of our WR's blocking and will always have that in the back of thier minds which will at times cause them to hesitate just a bit with respect to jamming so that they don't get taken out of a running play.

Again, Rice and AA are 2nd year WR's and probably aren't gonna be the stellar WR's alot of people on here seem to think they will.
I am still of the opinion that most WR's take 3 years to get thier game together.

That equates to a assumption from me that a little bit of inconsistency is still to be expected of them.

But these guys are playing under the Kick Ass Coaching staff. That has to shave a year off anybodies development

Marrdro
07-25-2008, 07:33 AM
"UffDaVikes" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

b.

But these guys are playing under the Kick jiggly butt Coaching staff. That has to shave a year off anybodies development

I think you are trying to be funny but you actually make a very great point.

I'm not sure it is the scheme that will get them ready but rather the approach of the staff to play the kids before they were ready.

I am 100% convinced the plan was to do that the first 2 years to figure out what they had and then fix the holes as needed via FA Vets that were about the same age of the draftees to form the team.

Now all they have to do is keep drafting the best talent available instead of reaching as we saw the last regime do to keep this team competitive for years to come.

Problem I see with this team is a big one though.
The FO will have alot of players contracts come due at/around the same time.
They are gonna have a hard time keeping a few of these cats.

Purple Floyd
07-25-2008, 07:49 AM
"Marrdro" wrote:

"UffDaVikes" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

b.

But these guys are playing under the Kick jiggly butt Coaching staff. That has to shave a year off anybodies development

I'm not sure it is the scheme that will get them ready but rather the approach of the staff to play the kids before they were ready.

I am 100% convinced the plan was to do that the first 2 years to figure out what they had and then fix the holes as needed via FA Vets that were about the same age of the draftees to form the team.

Now all they have to do is keep drafting the best talent available instead of reaching as we saw the last regime do to keep this team competitive for years to come.

That and they also actually have to get the players to perform to theory on the field against opponents who will be trying to prevent them from doing it. they will have to play guys who they didn't intend to be there because of injury and they are going to have to be one step ahead of the opposition in terms of in game adjustments. That is going to take a big leap to get to that point from the paper they draw it up on.

Marrdro
07-25-2008, 07:56 AM
"UffDaVikes" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

"UffDaVikes" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

b.

That and they also actually have to get the players to perform to theory on the field against opponents who will be trying to prevent them from doing it. they will have to play guys who they didn't intend to be there because of injury and they are going to have to be one step ahead of the opposition in terms of in game adjustments. That is going to take a big leap to get to that point from the paper they draw it up on.
I agree.

I keep looking but can't find it anymore, however, there was a article that quoted the Chiller were he described the necessity to coach the "Straight Line" to the players initially until they figured out what the primary objective was.
Once that was achieved then the players would be able to figure out on thier own when to deviate from that "Straight Line".

My guess is we will see some of that deviation this year but really don't expect to the scheme exectuted to perfection until the 2009 season.

Still believe there is a bit of gelling to do with respect to guys that they added this year like BB, JA, SM-will etc and a couple of the youngsters like TJ, AA, Rice etc to really have the light all the way on.

Still, gonna be a fun year to watch as long as PUKER boy stays away.
;D