PDA

View Full Version : Jackson not bothered by Favre rumors - Sharper throws support behind him

singersp
07-14-2008, 05:14 AM
Amid Brett Favre rumors, Minnesota Vikings safety Darren Sharper throws support behind Tarvaris Jackson (http://www.twincities.com/vikings/ci_9872743?nclick_check=1)

Despite Favre rumors, Vikings safety confident Jackson can lead

By Sean Jensen
sjensen@pioneerpress.com

Article Last Updated: 07/14/2008 12:32:59 AM CDT

Vikings safety Darren Sharper played alongside three-time MVP quarterback Brett Favre for eight seasons in Green Bay. But, amid speculation that Favre might be interested in joining the Vikings, Sharper quickly backed his current quarterback, Tarvaris Jackson.....

singersp
07-14-2008, 05:16 AM
Sharper, who is 32 and entering his 12th NFL season, isn't in bad shape himself. Last week, he clocked a 4.4-second 40-yard dash.

"I use an electronic timer, so I can't lie to him," said Shaw, who has been training Sharper for the past nine years. "I had Deion (Sanders) and Michael Vick, guys that ran fast. Well, Deion didn't run 4.4 in his 12th season, and he was one of the fastest guys I ever worked with. So for Darren to run that was pretty impressive."

Sweet!

singersp
07-14-2008, 05:32 AM
Sharper has Jackson's back (http://blogs.twincities.com/Vikings/2008/07/sharper_has_jacksons_back.html)

Posted by Sean Jensen on July 13, 2008 5:55 PM
twincities.com

S Darren Sharper knows Brett Favre better than most of his teammates. But Sharper is fine with his quarterback.

"T-Jack is our guy," Sharper said of Tarvaris Jackson. "I have the utmost confidence in Tarvaris.....

PurpleTide
07-14-2008, 06:03 AM
It really sounds like the team is in shape and ready to get training camp started. The whole team knows how good they can be, and are all focused on what needs to be done to make a deep run into the post season.

It's great to hear veterans putting their confidence in Tarvaris. This is the year T-Jack makes the jump to being a respected QB in this league.

singersp
07-14-2008, 06:35 AM
It's good to hear so many coaches & veteran players having confidence in T-Jack this year after his off-season improvements.

That speaks volumes & has more merit than anything the media states or what I've read in forums.

Marrdro
07-14-2008, 06:50 AM
Thanks for the read and the update my friend.

sh01002
07-14-2008, 12:43 PM
This does speak volumes about Farve because he does know him so well...it's only reinforcing how most of us feel about what Farve's role on the team should be.

PurplePeopleEaters
07-14-2008, 12:49 PM
Sharper ran a 4.4? Holy shit! And packers fans were telling us he was out of shape and slow 2 years ago.

dcboardr41
07-14-2008, 12:54 PM
i wished more people on this site would have the same confidence in TJack that Sharper has in him ;D

BloodyHorns82
07-14-2008, 01:49 PM
"dcboardr41" wrote:

i wished more people on this site would have the same confidence in TJack that Sharper has in him ;D

The people on this site know more about football and TJack than Sharper and the coaching staff do.
;D

C Mac D
07-14-2008, 01:53 PM
F*ck yeah... we don't need no stinking favre...

I liked this line:

"We're ready to go to battle with the gladiators who've been there the last four months," Sharper said.

VikingsTw
07-14-2008, 02:10 PM
Yeah we never needed Farve C Mac but in the event it happened I would consider it a luxury.

As for Sharpers 4.4 40 I don't see it translating to
the field, he's not necasarrily slow but I think he knows a thing or two about running 40's. Aside from that he should have a solid season and like Childress said "he really takes good care of his body". He's another on of our several leaders.

jkjuggalo
07-14-2008, 02:22 PM
Can't beat the positive comments we've heard about TJ this entire offseason.
Being that this is his third year in the league and 2nd year starting, I am very excited to see what he can do.
I think most of us recognized glimpses of what he is capable of in that last game of the year against Denver, when everything seemed to click for him in that 4th quarter.
Looking forward to a winning season.

C Mac D
07-14-2008, 02:26 PM
"jkjuggalo" wrote:

Being that this is his third year in the league and 2nd year starting, I am very excited to see what he can do.
I think most of us recognized glimpses of what he is capable of in that last game of the year against Denver, when everything seemed to click for him in that 4th quarter.

Agreed, I'm almost pissing my pants with excitement for the season to start... oh, too late...

If T-Will hadn't dropped those two crucial passes against Denver, we would have won that game... I realize we still wouldn't have made the playoffs, but we would have had a winning record.

Mr-holland
07-14-2008, 02:44 PM
"C" wrote:

"jkjuggalo" wrote:

Agreed, I'm almost pissing my pants with excitement for the season to start... oh, too late...

If T-Will hadn't dropped those two crucial passes against Denver, we would have won that game... I realize we still wouldn't have made the playoffs, but we would have had a winning record.

I agree, but we also wouldn't have the Tice vs Childress discussion i think.
Anyway i can't stop loving all the positive things i hear and like you can't wait for the season to begin!

C Mac D
07-14-2008, 02:46 PM
"Mr-holland" wrote:

"C" wrote:

"jkjuggalo" wrote:

Anyway i can't stop loving all the positive things i hear and like you can't wait for the season to begin!

Yeah, completely agreed... I think the Vikes are gonna come screaming out of the gates.

Being 0-4 vs Green Bay the past two seasons, I think the team is gonna come out opening day, very fired up.

bleedpurple
07-14-2008, 05:58 PM
"C" wrote:

"Mr-holland" wrote:

"C" wrote:

"jkjuggalo" wrote:

Yeah, completely agreed... I think the Vikes are gonna come screaming out of the gates.

Being 0-4 vs Green Bay the past two seasons, I think the team is gonna come out opening day, very fired up.

screaming out of the gates?>?? have you seen our opening schedule??... ridiculously hard!!!...
I think we'll make the playoffs.. but Green bay, Indy, Carolina, Tennessee, New Orleans is no slouch to laugh at.. i'd say we're lucky and in good shape if we're 3-2 or 2-3 by week 6!!.... that opening schedule is brutal!!! with 3 of the 5 on the road to start!

V4L
07-14-2008, 06:09 PM
"bleedpurple" wrote:

"C" wrote:

"Mr-holland" wrote:

"C" wrote:

"jkjuggalo" wrote:

screaming out of the gates?>?? have you seen our opening schedule??... ridiculously hard!!!...
I think we'll make the playoffs.. but Green bay, Indy, Carolina, Tennessee, New Orleans is no slouch to laugh at.. i'd say we're lucky and in good shape if we're 3-2 or 2-3 by week 6!!.... that opening schedule is brutal!!! with 3 of the 5 on the road to start!

Agreed

VikingsTw
07-14-2008, 06:10 PM
"bleedpurple" wrote:

"C" wrote:

"Mr-holland" wrote:

"C" wrote:

"jkjuggalo" wrote:

Bring them on we can beat em and I sure would hope they come out fired up, we are one of the most talented teams in the NFL if not the "Best". Last year we smoked the SB champs along with the Chargers who both ended up in the Championship games. We were able to contend with anyone on any given week add in Bernard Berrien, Jared Allen, M. Williams, T. Tapeh, T. Johnson a healthy Sindey Rice and we are looking very solid. I think we are capable of going 5-0 in those games, they won't be easy but if we want it we'll have it.

Purple Floyd
07-14-2008, 06:12 PM
"bleedpurple" wrote:

"C" wrote:

"Mr-holland" wrote:

"C" wrote:

"jkjuggalo" wrote:

Alot of it depends on the little things.

If we start 4-0 but win by a small margin and look like we are starting to digress, then the 4-0 won't look so good, especially if we then start to drop games that looked like we would win at the start of the season.

If we are 1-3 but looked very competitive and show improvement every week and follow that with a few wins, then the 1-3 may be very acceptable.If we start 1-3 and look like shit while doing it, that is a different story.

Personally with all of the talent we have gotten and with the staff in their 3rd year together I really expect to see a dramatic improvement in the offense, defense and special teams. If we have the right coaching structure in place we will be able to take the NFC Norris title and be a legitimate threat for the NFC title.

C Mac D
07-14-2008, 06:20 PM
"VikingsTw" wrote:

"bleedpurple" wrote:

"C" wrote:

"Mr-holland" wrote:

"C" wrote:

Bring them on we can beat em and I sure would hope they come out fired up, we are one of the most talented teams in the NFL if not the "Best". Last year we smoked the SB champs along with the Chargers who both ended up in the Championship games. We were able to contend with anyone on any given week add in Bernard Berrien, Jared Allen, M. Williams, T. Tapeh, T. Johnson a healthy Sindey Rice and we are looking very solid. I think we are capable of going 5-0 in those games, they won't be easy but if we want it we'll have it.

Hell yeah... couldn't have said it better.

Did the actual Vikings ever not invade a country.... "Hmmm... looks like we invade Greenland today... I hear they're tough this year... maybe we should just mail it in..."

Hell no... they arrived... kicked ass... and left no prisoners....

And we are the Vikings... you remember that.

litlharsh
07-14-2008, 06:26 PM
You should write posters and counsel depressed men in need of life coaches C Mac D.

singersp
07-14-2008, 08:23 PM
Minnesota Vikings quarterback Tarvaris Jackson not bothered by Brett Favre rumors (http://www.twincities.com/allheadlines/ci_9878995)

By Sean Jensen
sjensen@pioneerpress.com

Article Launched: 07/14/2008 12:01:00 AM CDT

Vikings starting quarterback Tarvaris Jackson has been following the Brett Favre rumors but he's not distracted by some media projections that Favre would be a good replacement for him in Minnesota....

VikingMike
07-14-2008, 08:36 PM
"singersp" wrote:

Minnesota Vikings quarterback Tarvaris Jackson not bothered by Brett Favre rumors (http://www.twincities.com/allheadlines/ci_9878995)

By Sean Jensen
sjensen@pioneerpress.com

Article Launched: 07/14/2008 12:01:00 AM CDT

Vikings starting quarterback Tarvaris Jackson has been following the Brett Favre rumors but he's not distracted by some media projections that Favre would be a good replacement for him in Minnesota....

TJack has nothing to worry about (exceot for his performance on the field)...he should just keep progressing and focusing on the prize. As I said before, there is no way Favre plays for us. Let Rodgers worry.

tb04512
07-14-2008, 09:20 PM
ahh and my man love for TJack grows greater ;D

vikes09
07-14-2008, 10:10 PM
I love blind optimism as much as the next guy, but there reaches a point when you need to be realistic.

As for our first game, i really doubt we'll lose. First off, look at how well we've done on opening day and after the bye week. Give Childress time to prepare, and he usually does exceptionally well. Second, we're going against the packers with Aaron Rodgers. Thank god. We're 1-0. Basically Super Bowl Champs.

But, our next few games after that are going to be hard. Very hard. We'll be looking through our tainted purple shades by that time if we win against the Packers, and then we'll start getting into the rough part of our schedule. get a big loss slapped across our face by the colts, panthers, titans, and saints. Maybe a surprise here and there, and we squeak out a win or two. We're 1-3 or 0-4 going into week 5! How'd this happen? Next thing you know and the Fire Childress chants will be heard. "Why'd we get rid of Tice" threads start popping up, followed by "Why doesn't Adrian Peterson play QB too?" discussions.

We have a new DE in Allen, but i'm skeptical as to how much that will help. I'm more concerned about how well that DE opposite of last years sack leader will do, be it Kenechi Udeze or Brian Robinson or Ray Edwards. Also our corners, including Winfield and Griffin/McCauley. Sharper and Madieu Williams will be an interesting combo back there in their safety positions. And this is just our defense. TJ, can AP stay healthy, our right side of our o-line, our extremely unproven/extremely untalented WR corps. They're all legitimate concerns going into the season, and i don't expect them to vanish come opening kick-off.

Our team has plenty of holes (or at least serious question marks), and unlike someone said, we're NOWHERE NEAR close to the best team on paper. Not even close. But that doesn't mean we can't be serious playoff contenders, and hopefully our team has a full head of steam come January.

its been awhile since I've been on here, and its nice to be with my fellow vikings fans again! SKOL, go Vikes, here's to a Super Bowl campaign!

Purple Floyd
07-14-2008, 10:17 PM
"vikes09" wrote:

I love blind optimism as much as the next guy, but there reaches a point when you need to be realistic.

As for our first game, i really doubt we'll lose. First off, look at how well we've done on opening day and after the bye week. Give Childress time to prepare, and he usually does exceptionally well. Second, we're going against the packers with Aaron Rodgers. Thank god. We're 1-0. Basically Super Bowl Champs.

But, our next few games after that are going to be hard. Very hard. We'll be looking through our tainted purple shades by that time if we win against the Packers, and then we'll start getting into the rough part of our schedule. get a big loss slapped across our face by the colts, panthers, titans, and saints. Maybe a surprise here and there, and we squeak out a win or two. We're 1-3 or 0-4 going into week 5! How'd this happen? Next thing you know and the Fire Childress chants will be heard. "Why'd we get rid of Tice" threads start popping up, followed by "Why doesn't Adrian Peterson play QB too?" discussions.

We have a new DE in Allen, but i'm skeptical as to how much that will help. I'm more concerned about how well that DE opposite of last years sack leader will do, be it Kenechi Udeze or Brian Robinson or Ray Edwards. Also our corners, including Winfield and Griffin/McCauley. Sharper and Madieu Williams will be an interesting combo back there in their safety positions. And this is just our defense. TJ, can AP stay healthy, our right side of our o-line, our extremely unproven/extremely untalented WR corps. They're all legitimate concerns going into the season, and i don't expect them to vanish come opening kick-off.

Our team has plenty of holes (or at least serious question marks), and unlike someone said, we're NOWHERE NEAR close to the best team on paper. Not even close. But that doesn't mean we can't be serious playoff contenders, and hopefully our team has a full head of steam come January.

its been awhile since I've been on here, and its nice to be with my fellow vikings fans again! SKOL, go Vikes, here's to a Super Bowl campaign!

Fortunately we aren't playing on paper this season ;D ;D

We should be solid talent wise and better coaching wise. As long as they learned from their mistakes and correct those problems we will have a very good year

vikes09
07-14-2008, 10:26 PM
"UffDaVikes" wrote:

We should be solid talent wise and better coaching wise. As long as they learned from their mistakes and correct those problems we will have a very good year

Ha, fortunately!

We are an exceedingly solid team talent-wise, but i was more directing my comments toward posts like these:
we are one of the most talented teams in the NFL if not the "Best"."

A good year of good football is in store though!

VikingsTw
07-14-2008, 10:38 PM
"vikes09" wrote:

I don't know that it is blind optimism, most of us must have seen something or the other to be optimistic in the first place. I would think the offseason additions and big moves we have made coupled with the advancements from last year should really come together in our 3rd year.

No matter who you play in this league its gonna be tuff competition and knowing that we have a tough should schedule should only keep us more focused on the task at hand. No game is gonna be easy but I don't think the Colts look any better on paper than we do. Winning in GB like you said would give us nice confidence and a rowdy crowd for the home opener. I don't expect to loose to any of the other teams you mentioned but if happens hopefully we can learn and move on. By the way I think your exagerting big when you say we will be screaming for Tice to be coach or Peterson to be QB.

I wouldn't be so skeptical about Allen I think the only thing stopping him is an injury. I know alot of people that thought Allen was Kansas City's best player on a not so good defense. Allowing him to play along side Kevin is a thing of beauty. Its hard to say just how good Ray Edwards will do but we do know this kid really works his tail off and he's already proven he can make plays and be a factor.

Even if AP goes down I expect to win, with a guys like Chester and Hicks we shouldn't miss a beat. Although I do believe not having the luxury of Peterson would be a bummer. As for the right side of line Herrera and Cook are fitting right in, there both young and just finished there first seasons as starters and should continue to improve.

I would agree that we are unexperienced at WR but we are definitly TALENTED. I take it you havn't watch much of Sindney Rice or Bernard Berian. For that matter Aundre Allison who is very talented and a consitent Bobby Wade. Hell even a guy like Martin Nance, Jaymar Johnson and Darius Reynaud are very talented.

I can tell your alot more concerned with the curreent roster than myself but I realize we had the #1 rushing game and #1 rush defense in the league last year. We added Bernard Berrian, Jared Allen, Topeh, T Johnson, and M Williams in order to fill those other wholes. All the rookies of the "system" last year are no longer rookies but a veteran of our offense. Given the additions and last years experience we should easily make the playoffs.

On paper I don't there are many teams more talented then us, especailly when you consider the most important units. Most notably the defensive line, LB's, and OLineman. We pay those guys well and they have a nice impact on our super important run offense and defense.

olson_10
07-14-2008, 10:40 PM
"singersp" wrote:

Sharper, who is 32 and entering his 12th NFL season, isn't in bad shape himself. Last week, he clocked a 4.4-second 40-yard dash.

"I use an electronic timer, so I can't lie to him," said Shaw, who has been training Sharper for the past nine years. "I had Deion (Sanders) and Michael Vick, guys that ran fast. Well, Deion didn't run 4.4 in his 12th season, and he was one of the fastest guys I ever worked with. So for Darren to run that was pretty impressive."

Sweet!

wow, thats either insane, or that timer is broken lol

YogidAbEAR
07-14-2008, 10:42 PM
sweet, can't wiat for the season

Vikes_King
07-14-2008, 10:54 PM
"YogidAbEAR" wrote:

sweet, can't wiat for the season

yogi's back!

YogidAbEAR
07-14-2008, 11:00 PM
suprised anyone remembers me, its been like a year since i last posted

Vikes_King
07-14-2008, 11:09 PM
"YogidAbEAR" wrote:

you made my sig :)

YogidAbEAR
07-14-2008, 11:13 PM
lol, yeah i rememer making that, its still in my photobucket

olson_10
07-14-2008, 11:42 PM
i always remember the few bombers fans on here..you a season ticket holder?

YogidAbEAR
07-15-2008, 12:00 AM
indeed, and a moderator at ourbombers, and more or less the sole editor of the blue bombers wikipedia entries. yeah i'm a fanatic

ItalianStallion
07-15-2008, 12:06 AM
"YogidAbEAR" wrote:

indeed, and a moderator at ourbombers, and more or less the sole editor of the blue bombers wikipedia entries. yeah i'm a fanatic

Haha, is it too premature to edit the Wiki to add in "The bombers missed the playoff in the 2008 season..." :P

YogidAbEAR
07-15-2008, 12:35 AM
still only 2 points out of 2nd place and a home playoff date

nareg
07-15-2008, 01:40 AM
"UffDaVikes" wrote:

"vikes09" wrote:

look at the giants this year did they have the best team on paper no where near that but then again they won right its just the matter of performance and remember after we rocked them their season was all but over so no1 will know till the fat lady sings ! so someone tell favre to not return or to become a singer!=D

singersp
07-15-2008, 03:47 AM
"YogidAbEAR" wrote:

Actually it's been 1 year & 5 months, but whose counting.
:P

cogitans
07-15-2008, 04:22 PM
"YogidAbEAR" wrote:

So, where have you been?

ItalianStallion
07-15-2008, 04:35 PM
"YogidAbEAR" wrote:

still only 2 points out of 2nd place and a home playoff date

That because the East is so poor.

singersp
07-26-2008, 07:26 AM
Minnesota Vikings quarterback Tarvaris Jackson not offended by Brett Favre speculation (http://www.twincities.com/ci_9997018)

By Rick Alonzo
ralonzo@pioneerpress.com
twincities.com

Article Last Updated: 07/25/2008 04:40:01 PM CDT

MANKATO — Tarvaris Jackson said the Brett Favre speculation would never have come up if Jackson were an established, proven quarterback. But he's not....

singersp
07-26-2008, 07:28 AM
Vikings' Jackson takes the Favre talk in stride (http://www.in-forum.com/ap/index.cfm?page=view&id=D9255SJG2)

By DAVE CAMPBELL AP Sports Writer
The Associated Press - Friday, July 25, 2008

MANKATO, Minn.

His speech stayed in cadence, and a sly smile crept across Tarvaris Jackson's face when the subject of Brett Favre came up on the first day of training camp....

singersp
07-26-2008, 07:50 AM
Favre rumors don't rattle Vikings' Jackson (http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/25919514.html)

Yes, he has heard a little chatter about Brett Favre and the Vikings, but quarterback Tarvaris Jackson hasn't let it affect his attitude.

By JUDD ZULGAD , Star Tribune

Last update: July 26, 2008 - 7:06 AM

singersp
07-26-2008, 08:19 AM
Sharper talks Jackson, Favre (http://ww3.startribune.com/vikingsblog/?p=1737)

July 25th, 2008 – 6:18 PM

by Chip Scoggins

MANKATO — Vikings veteran safety Darren Sharper gave his young quarterback Tarvaris Jackson another vote of confidence Friday, but he said he wouldn’t mind getting another chance to play against his former teammate, Brett Favre...

Purple Floyd
07-26-2008, 08:23 AM
I would love to see Brett play this defense too. That is one reason why he might not want to play for the Pack this year. Personally I would love to see our guys put an end to his consecutive start streak.