PDA

View Full Version : Vikings Leading Man Rarely Returns



singersp
06-12-2008, 07:28 AM
With Vikings, Leading Man Rarely Returns (http://hsarizona.scout.com/a.z?s=222&p=2&c=761413)


By John Holler
scout.com

Posted Jun 11, 2008

Marrdro
06-12-2008, 07:45 AM
It would seem the Vikings are continuing the trend of simply finding a return specialist among the players on the 53-man roster and not designating a roster spot to a true return specialist.

Some yutz has been saying that for awhile on here.

;D

By the way, very intersting stat that B-wade lead the team in PR when he was only doing it out of necessity last year and I was really suprised that we had such a high fair catch percentage.


I thought Memo was like some sort of return machine.
;D

VikingMike
06-12-2008, 08:05 AM
"Marrdro" wrote:



It would seem the Vikings are continuing the trend of simply finding a return specialist among the players on the 53-man roster and not designating a roster spot to a true return specialist.

Some yutz has been saying that for awhile on here.

;D

By the way, very intersting stat that B-wade lead the team in PR when he was only doing it out of necessity last year and I was really suprised that we had such a high fair catch percentage.


I thought Memo was like some sort of return machine.

;D



I'd love to see someone break off a nice punt return once in a while. 40% fair catches is much too high.

Marrdro
06-12-2008, 08:10 AM
"VikingMike" wrote:


"Marrdro" wrote:



It would seem the Vikings are continuing the trend of simply finding a return specialist among the players on the 53-man roster and not designating a roster spot to a true return specialist.

Some yutz has been saying that for awhile on here.

;D

By the way, very intersting stat that B-wade lead the team in PR when he was only doing it out of necessity last year and I was really suprised that we had such a high fair catch percentage.


I thought Memo was like some sort of return machine.

;D



I'd love to see someone break off a nice punt return once in a while. 40% fair catches is much too high.

I don't really worry to much about PR's.
I just want to see the ball caught instead of letting it get over thier head all the time.

Rationale being that ST's are evolving of late (my opinion based on just observations).
Punters are pretty damn precise with thier placement of the ball and can really get some decent hang time along with distance which kindof negates the yards per return.

Gimme a guy that can catch the ball and not drop it when he gets leveled and I would/will be happy most fo the time.

singersp
06-12-2008, 08:30 AM
"Marrdro" wrote:



It would seem the Vikings are continuing the trend of simply finding a return specialist among the players on the 53-man roster and not designating a roster spot to a true return specialist.

Some yutz has been saying that for awhile on here.

;D

By the way, very intersting stat that B-wade lead the team in PR when he was only doing it out of necessity last year and I was really suprised that we had such a high fair catch percentage.


I thought Memo was like some sort of return machine.
;D


LOL Marr, he only had 3 more PR's than Memo. Wade was also active for 4 more games than Memo as well.

Punt Returns












G

GS

Ret
Yds

TD
Lng
Y/R
Bobby Wade


16

12

16

112

0

17

7.0
Mewelde Moore
12


0

13

130

0

42

10.0

Marrdro
06-12-2008, 08:36 AM
"singersp" wrote:


"Marrdro" wrote:



It would seem the Vikings are continuing the trend of simply finding a return specialist among the players on the 53-man roster and not designating a roster spot to a true return specialist.

Some yutz has been saying that for awhile on here.

;D

By the way, very intersting stat that B-wade lead the team in PR when he was only doing it out of necessity last year and I was really suprised that we had such a high fair catch percentage.


I thought Memo was like some sort of return machine.

;D


LOL Marr, he only had 3 more PR's than Memo. Wade was also active for 4 more games than Memo as well.

Punt Returns













G

GS

Ret

Yds

TD
Lng

Y/R
Bobby Wade



16

12

16

112

0

17


7.0
Mewelde Moore

12


0

13

130

0

42

10.0


LOL, I wasn't picking on your boy my friend.
I just found it interesting that he had more than Memo.
;D

Thanks for the stats my friend.
You know how much I like digging into them.

I find it interesting as wel that Memo had a long return of 42 and yet had only a 3 yard longer return avg than B-wade.

130-42 = 88 yds.
88 yds divided by 12 returns = 7.33333333
Again, very interesting when one thinks about it.

singersp
06-12-2008, 08:51 PM
"Marrdro" wrote:


"singersp" wrote:


"Marrdro" wrote:



It would seem the Vikings are continuing the trend of simply finding a return specialist among the players on the 53-man roster and not designating a roster spot to a true return specialist.

Some yutz has been saying that for awhile on here.

;D

By the way, very intersting stat that B-wade lead the team in PR when he was only doing it out of necessity last year and I was really suprised that we had such a high fair catch percentage.


I thought Memo was like some sort of return machine.
;D


LOL Marr, he only had 3 more PR's than Memo. Wade was also active for 4 more games than Memo as well.

Punt Returns












G

GS

Ret
Yds

TD
Lng
Y/R
Bobby Wade


16

12

16

112

0

17

7.0
Mewelde Moore
12


0

13

130

0

42

10.0


LOL, I wasn't picking on your boy my friend.
I just found it interesting that he had more than Memo.
;D

Thanks for the stats my friend.
You know how much I like digging into them.

I find it interesting as wel that Memo had a long return of 42 and yet had only a 3 yard longer return avg than B-wade.

130-42 = 88 yds.
88 yds divided by 12 returns = 7.33333333
Again, very interesting when one thinks about it.


You must be practicing that new math, Marr. How is it you subtracted his longest run in determining his average?

You simply don't knock off a punt returners longest return & then figure his average. That is what they are supposed to do. Even if you do, why is it you didn't knock off Wades longest run as well?

Further more, lets say that you do for comparisons sake, why did you divide by 12? Basically by subtracting the 42 yarder & not subtracting a return, you gave him 0 for that return.

It should be this..........

130-42 = 88 yds.
88 yds divided by 12
11 returns = 7.33333333 8.0

112-17 = 95 yds.
95 yds divided by 15 returns = 6.3

Needless to say, Memo was the better return man no matter how you slice it.

VikingsTw
06-12-2008, 08:58 PM
Not a mention of Jaymar? Ah shame on this guy he needs to watch some film. I believe we brought in Jaymar for this specific job and I love his attitude about returning any kick. I also like his already proven knack for doing it. He's smooth in his movements and IMO is bar none the best Punt Returner on our team. I sure hope he proves me right and makes the squad.

NordicNed
06-12-2008, 09:04 PM
I'de like to see the stats for Wade and Memo, compaired to the Top 5 Punt Returners in the whole NFL...






I bet neither would shine that great in that comparison.....I never thought Wade or Memo where that great.
Sure, I'de put Memo over Wade, but for the most part, Memo wouldn't have me on the edge of my seat either during punts when he was returning......






Bottom line,
I think they both where average at best, and maybe even below average....






Granted, memo did suprise at times, but not very consistent....

singersp
06-12-2008, 09:10 PM
"Marrdro" wrote:



It would seem the Vikings are continuing the trend of simply finding a return specialist among the players on the 53-man roster and not designating a roster spot to a true return specialist.

Some yutz has been saying that for awhile on here.

;D



Really? Certainly couldn't be you. I suggested that about Jaymar Johnson in the other thread & you stated it wouldn't be done...


"Marrdro" wrote:


"singersp" wrote:


"Marrdro" wrote:


I like what I see in JJ and think the only way he makes the team is if he beats out Ferg.
Until then, my assumption will be that he is shipped to the practice squad until later on in the year.


Two words. Special teams.


You would think that would make sense but it doesn't, to a point.

To answer your question.......

ST's are made up of guys on the roster who take up actual roster positions.
Sure there are a few (i.e. LB'rs) that are only on the team for thier ST's play but they are still counted into the number of LB'r positions that the team carries.

Marrdro
06-13-2008, 08:22 AM
"singersp" wrote:


"Marrdro" wrote:


"singersp" wrote:


"Marrdro" wrote:



It would seem the Vikings are continuing the trend of simply finding a return specialist among the players on the 53-man roster and not designating a roster spot to a true return specialist.

Some yutz has been saying that for awhile on here.

;D

By the way, very intersting stat that B-wade lead the team in PR when he was only doing it out of necessity last year and I was really suprised that we had such a high fair catch percentage.


I thought Memo was like some sort of return machine.

;D


LOL Marr, he only had 3 more PR's than Memo. Wade was also active for 4 more games than Memo as well.

Punt Returns













G

GS

Ret

Yds

TD
Lng

Y/R
Bobby Wade



16

12

16

112

0

17


7.0
Mewelde Moore

12


0

13

130

0

42

10.0


LOL, I wasn't picking on your boy my friend.
I just found it interesting that he had more than Memo.

;D

Thanks for the stats my friend.
You know how much I like digging into them.

I find it interesting as wel that Memo had a long return of 42 and yet had only a 3 yard longer return avg than B-wade.

130-42 = 88 yds.
88 yds divided by 12 returns = 7.33333333
Again, very interesting when one thinks about it.


You must be practicing that new math, Marr. How is it you subtracted his longest run in determining his average?

You simply don't knock off a punt returners longest return & then figure his average. That is what they are supposed to do. Even if you do, why is it you didn't knock off Wades longest run as well?

Further more, lets say that you do for comparisons sake, why did you divide by 12? Basically by subtracting the 42 yarder & not subtracting a return, you gave him 0 for that return.

It should be this..........

130-42 = 88 yds.
88 yds divided by 12
11 returns = 7.33333333 8.0

112-17 = 95 yds.
95 yds divided by 15 returns = 6.3

Needless to say, Memo was the better return man no matter how you slice it.

Why can't you take away his top return.
Truth be told, when dealing with metrics/analysis you graph out the data, throw out the high and the low to get a better feel for the ground truth.

Again, quick acting like I am picking on your boy.
I'm not.
I'm just looking at stats and not slicing anything.
You are the one who keeps running to his defence like I am trying to make him look like shit or something.
;D

singersp
06-14-2008, 01:20 AM
"Marrdro" wrote:


"singersp" wrote:


"Marrdro" wrote:


"singersp" wrote:


"Marrdro" wrote:



It would seem the Vikings are continuing the trend of simply finding a return specialist among the players on the 53-man roster and not designating a roster spot to a true return specialist.

Some yutz has been saying that for awhile on here.

;D

By the way, very intersting stat that B-wade lead the team in PR when he was only doing it out of necessity last year and I was really suprised that we had such a high fair catch percentage.


I thought Memo was like some sort of return machine.
;D


LOL Marr, he only had 3 more PR's than Memo. Wade was also active for 4 more games than Memo as well.

Punt Returns












G

GS

Ret
Yds

TD
Lng
Y/R
Bobby Wade


16

12

16

112

0

17

7.0
Mewelde Moore
12


0

13

130

0

42

10.0


LOL, I wasn't picking on your boy my friend.
I just found it interesting that he had more than Memo.
;D

Thanks for the stats my friend.
You know how much I like digging into them.

I find it interesting as wel that Memo had a long return of 42 and yet had only a 3 yard longer return avg than B-wade.

130-42 = 88 yds.
88 yds divided by 12 returns = 7.33333333
Again, very interesting when one thinks about it.


You must be practicing that new math, Marr. How is it you subtracted his longest run in determining his average?

You simply don't knock off a punt returners longest return & then figure his average. That is what they are supposed to do. Even if you do, why is it you didn't knock off Wades longest run as well?

Further more, lets say that you do for comparisons sake, why did you divide by 12? Basically by subtracting the 42 yarder & not subtracting a return, you gave him 0 for that return.

It should be this..........

130-42 = 88 yds.
88 yds divided by 12
11 returns = 7.33333333 8.0

112-17 = 95 yds.
95 yds divided by 15 returns = 6.3

Needless to say, Memo was the better return man no matter how you slice it.

Why can't you take away his top return.
Truth be told, when dealing with metrics/analysis you graph out the data, throw out the high and the low to get a better feel for the ground truth.

Again, quick acting like I am picking on your boy.
I'm not.
I'm just looking at stats and not slicing anything.
You are the one who keeps running to his defence like I am trying to make him look like shit or something.
;D


It's VQ's boy, not mine.

My point is if you want to subtract the high 42 yarder, you must also subtract that return. Ergo you should have have divided that new net total by 11 returns instead of 12 returns. You did not. You divided it by the full 12.

You also didn't subtract the highest yard return from Wade, therefore it is not an apples to apples comparison.

Using your version of the new Marrdro math Peterson played in 14 games. Lets subtract his 296 yard rushing game, yet still divide by the full 14 games, just like you did for Memo;

1341 - 296 = 1045. 1045 divided by 14 games = 74.6 yards per game average.

Now lets look at Taylor's & not subtract anything just like you did for Wade;

844 divided by 13 games = 64.9 yards per game average.

There is only less than 10 yards average per game difference between the two RB's.
;)