PDA

View Full Version : For Frerotte, everything's so familiar, yet so new - Looks the part

singersp
05-29-2008, 07:27 AM
Vikings: For Frerotte, everything's so familiar, yet so new (http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/19338704.html?location_refer=Vikings)

A lot has changed at Winter Park since the quarterback's first stint with the Vikings, but his role will be much the same.

By JUDD ZULGAD, Star Tribune
startribune.com

Last update: May 28, 2008 - 11:07 PM

singersp
05-29-2008, 07:48 AM
Frerotte looks the part (http://www.twincities.com/vikings/ci_9408976)

By Don Seeholzer
dseeholzer@pioneerpress.com
twincities.com

Article Last Updated: 05/28/2008 10:25:47 PM CDT

The Vikings went through Wednesday's organized team activities without quarterback Tarvaris Jackson, who was given the day off to go home to Jackson, Miss., to take care of a personal matter, according to coach Brad Childress....

PurpleTide
05-29-2008, 08:05 AM
Gus is definantly a upgrade over last years backups, in fact Bollinger won't even make the squad this year. I feel much more confidant that if something were to happen to Tarvaris, Frerotte won't miss a beat coming in off the bench.

Marrdro
05-29-2008, 10:26 AM
"singersp" wrote:

Vikings: For Frerotte, everything's so familiar, yet so new (http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/19338704.html?location_refer=Vikings)

A lot has changed at Winter Park since the quarterback's first stint with the Vikings, but his role will be much the same.

By JUDD ZULGAD, Star Tribune
startribune.com

Last update: May 28, 2008 - 11:07 PM

Very nice read my friend.
Thanks.

Marrdro
05-29-2008, 10:29 AM
"singersp" wrote:

Frerotte looks the part (http://www.twincities.com/vikings/ci_9408976)

By Don Seeholzer
dseeholzer@pioneerpress.com
twincities.com

Article Last Updated: 05/28/2008 10:25:47 PM CDT

The Vikings went through Wednesday's organized team activities without quarterback Tarvaris Jackson, who was given the day off to go home to Jackson, Miss., to take care of a personal matter, according to coach Brad Childress....

Another interesting read. Thanks

Briefly: Wide receiver Bernard Berrian, on what he's learned about Jackson: "That he definitely loves to work. I mean, he's out in the weight room and sometimes I have to tell him, 'Tarvaris, you need to stop lifting weights, man. You're too big. They're going to put you on the other side of the ball.' "

Sure glad somebody has finally lit a fire under TJ's ass and made him realize he needs to work hard and start producing this year.
(More sarcasim from Marrdro
;D)

i_bleed_purple
05-29-2008, 10:47 AM
More important is adjusting to an offensive system that is almost completely foreign to Frerotte, who has played for seven teams during a 14-year career.

I wonder how this sits with Marrs theory that NOT Childress is choosing players who best fit our system?
;)

Purple Floyd
05-29-2008, 10:49 AM
This is going to be a big change from the sell job they had to do with the QB talent they brought in over the previous 2 seasons.

Marrdro
05-29-2008, 10:56 AM
"i_bleed_purple" wrote:

More important is adjusting to an offensive system that is almost completely foreign to Frerotte, who has played for seven teams during a 14-year career.

I wonder how this sits with Marrs theory that NOT Childress is choosing players who best fit our system?
;)

It doesn't.

I believe, just as we did with the drafting of TJ, Holcomb last year etc, that the staff is settling for a second or third option.

Lets not forget they targeted two other QB's in that draft and tried to trade for a guy (Sage) that really fit the scheme this year.

Show me another Vet out there that is available that they could have got that fits the scheme?

i_bleed_purple
05-29-2008, 11:12 AM
I guess the closest would be Dilfer.
I still wanted Volek though.
IMO he was the best FA QB available.

Marrdro
05-29-2008, 11:33 AM
"i_bleed_purple" wrote:

Yea, I had Volek and Sorgi right up there as well but then (as with all the good options) he was resigned because of a CAP windfall.
;D

If the staff hadn't been targeting a DE in FA (used our top picks) maybe they would have tried to get DA, but again, I am not really sold on that cat yet either.

Long story short is that I now believe that TJ is the man, will be the man for a long time and Gussy boy is just a stop gap until Booty matures a bit. That will leave us with to very good options as a starter and backup that have been "Grown" in the system.

Just goes to show that the Front Office/Coaching staff might know more than some yutz like me.
I would have given the picks a few years ago to get Cutler.
;D

Chazz
05-29-2008, 04:05 PM
"Marrdro" wrote:

"i_bleed_purple" wrote:

Yea, I had Volek and Sorgi right up there as well but then (as with all the good options) he was resigned because of a CAP windfall.

;D

If the staff hadn't been targeting a DE in FA (used our top picks) maybe they would have tried to get DA, but again, I am not really sold on that cat yet either.

Long story short is that I now believe that TJ is the man, will be the man for a long time and Gussy boy is just a stop gap until Booty matures a bit. That will leave us with to very good options as a starter and backup that have been "Grown" in the system.

Just goes to show that the Front Office/Coaching staff might know more than some yutz like me.

;D

You and me both, my friend.
:)

Purple Floyd
05-29-2008, 04:37 PM
"Marrdro" wrote:

"i_bleed_purple" wrote:

;D

;D

So you feel that Jackson is a better QB than Cutler and will continue to be into the future?

StillPurple
05-29-2008, 05:32 PM
I like Chilly's comment that there were 60 different starting QBs in the NFL in 2007. That really says something about how interchangable these guys are. I just want a QB in there who can move the sticks, and I really don't care who it is.

Gus looks decent. I like his mechanics.

V-Unit
05-29-2008, 05:43 PM
"Marrdro" wrote:

"i_bleed_purple" wrote:

;D

;D

I still would...

Anyways, Frerotte is being brought into the exact same situation as he was in his last stint. He is backing up a young QB who may not pan out. Hopefully his age won't be a bother.

StillPurple
05-30-2008, 12:01 AM
Dude, please don't say you are comparing T-Jacks in 2007 with Daunte Culpepper in 2004.
::) ::)

singersp
05-30-2008, 07:12 AM
"StillPurple" wrote:

Dude, please don't say you are comparing T-Jacks in 2007 with Daunte Culpepper in 2004.

??? Who/what are you referring to? Who mentioned Culpepper besides you?

V-Unit
05-30-2008, 08:52 AM
"singersp" wrote:

"StillPurple" wrote:

I did.

singersp
05-30-2008, 08:54 AM
"V" wrote:

"singersp" wrote:

"StillPurple" wrote:

I did.

LOL! Are you trying to start something?

V-Unit
05-30-2008, 12:45 PM
"singersp" wrote:

"V" wrote:

"singersp" wrote:

"StillPurple" wrote:

I did.

LOL! Are you trying to start something?

???

Maybe?

I think you need to reread my original post again. StillPurple got it. You didn't.

Marrdro
05-30-2008, 12:50 PM
"V" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

"i_bleed_purple" wrote:

;D

;D

I still would...

Anyways, Frerotte is being brought into the exact same situation as he was in his last stint. He is backing up a young QB who may not pan out. Hopefully his age won't be a bother.

So would I.
;D

I'm not to worried aobut Gus's age but rather will he get a good grasp of the offense.
At least they got him in (unlike Holcomb) in time to work with everybody throughout the whole offseason workouts.

Probably will be enough to get him up to snuff.

mountainviking
05-30-2008, 01:04 PM
IF TJack gets hurt, I predict that Gus will surprise some with his no frills, but efficient passing, and how little our team really needs to keep AP and CT running.
Volek was closer to the top of my list, but I do think Gus can drive the Bus
;D

I'm not convinced we should have traded up for Cutler...he's a lot like TJack, learning with room for improvement...but with a bit more starting experience.
That would leave us without Greenway and some of those 2nd round picks that got us Griffin and Cook...but, I guess we wouldn't have needed to trade those thirds away for TJack then either.
Basically, we'd get a bit better prospect (maybe) at QB, but a talent drop off at three other positions!

As it turns out, I like TJack.
I think he may be working even harder than Cutler anyway, seems a bit more down to earth in general, and is probably more physically gifted, although not quite the passer...yet.
Also, I'll say that Brandon Marshall was probably a better WR last year than any of ours.
When healthy, Javon is pretty good too.
And they have Stokely as a third, two talented TEs and one hell of a running game.

Marrdro
05-30-2008, 01:37 PM
"mountainviking" wrote:

IF TJack gets hurt, I predict that Gus will surprise some with his no frills, but efficient passing, and how little our team really needs to keep AP and CT running.
Volek was closer to the top of my list, but I do think Gus can drive the Bus
;D

I'm not convinced we should have traded up for Cutler...he's a lot like TJack, learning with room for improvement...but with a bit more starting experience.
That would leave us without Greenway and some of those 2nd round picks that got us Griffin and Cook...but, I guess we wouldn't have needed to trade those thirds away for TJack then either.
Basically, we'd get a bit better prospect (maybe) at QB, but a talent drop off at three other positions!

As it turns out, I like TJack.
I think he may be working even harder than Cutler anyway, seems a bit more down to earth in general, and is probably more physically gifted, although not quite the passer...yet.
Also, I'll say that Brandon Marshall was probably a better WR last year than any of ours.
When healthy, Javon is pretty good too.
And they have Stokely as a third, two talented TEs and one hell of a running game.

Don't get me wrong MtMan.
TJ is growing on me as well.
Infact I am a TJ supporter.
;D

However, if we could go back to that place and time I would have given the picks to get Cutler or at least taken Clemens when we had the chance.

Again, knowing what we know now, I am happy.

Purple Floyd
05-30-2008, 11:23 PM
I think if we had to call on Gus, that he would be very effective as long as the line did it's job. He came in for Culpepper and to me looked better and was a more accurate passer who read the coverages better as well.

This is the first time since the Green era that I am comfortable with the backup talent at the position,which is refreshing.

Ranger
05-30-2008, 11:26 PM
What was that old saying?
"In Gus we Trust"?

Anyway, as long as he doesn't headbutt anything, we should be fine.

Marrdro
05-31-2008, 09:15 AM
"Ranger" wrote:

What was that old saying?
"In Gus we Trust"?

Anyway, as long as he doesn't headbutt anything, we should be fine.

LOL, I was actually watching that game.
I can remember thinking (in my drunken stupor) what a yutz.
;D