PDA

View Full Version : Ray Edwards seeks sack title

singersp
05-24-2008, 07:37 AM
KIBBE: Vikings defensive end seeks sack title (http://kstp.com/article/stories/S454606.shtml?cat=7)

Posted at: 05/23/2008 05:15:41 PM
Updated at: 05/23/2008 05:28:33 PM

By: Ryan Kibbe
Sports Reporter
kstp.com

For Ray Edwards, the 2007 season was supposed to be his season of promise. And at times, he delivered with 5 sacks... until late December. That's when the NFL suspended Edwards for four games for violating the league's steroid policy...

singersp
05-24-2008, 07:40 AM
Vikings | Team moves Edwards from right end to left end (http://www.kffl.com/gnews.php?id=476693)

2008-05-23 15:05:36

kffl.com

Ryan Kibbe, of KSTP-TV, in Minnesota, reports the Minnesota Vikings moved DL Ray Edwards from right defensive end to left end after bulking up five to 10 pounds....

Marrdro
05-24-2008, 07:42 AM
Thanks for the read my friend.

Edwards also made other changes. He's bulked up about 5 to 10 pounds, since the Vikings moved him from right end to left defensive end.

More poppy cock from the press.
We all know that the LDE doesn't have to be bigger than your typical RDE to play that position.
All he has to do is have good technique/skills and he can out play the bigger guys on that side.
;D(Marrdro giggles to himself) ;D

As to his claim.
I like it, however, my guess is that at the LDE position he won't get much more than 8 or 9 this year but that will still be pretty damn good.

I am hoping for atleast 5 by the way because of the scheme/his role in it at the LDE position.
::)

marstc09
05-24-2008, 09:32 AM
"This year I definitely plan on going out here and breaking Strahan's record of 22 and 1/2 sacks this year."

Ok Adrian Peterson.
::) I think he will have a great year but I think he might be getting ahead of himself. Lets just try to stay on the field this year.

cajunvike
05-24-2008, 09:41 AM
Very lofty goals indeed...but like they say, if you want to be the best, you gotta take on the best...or, in other words, shoot for the stars and you may still hit the moon.
Half of Strahan's total would be a solid contribution from Ray next season.

Purple Floyd
05-24-2008, 09:49 AM
This was what I said would be the configuration when Allen signed and the best combination we could ask for contrary to some who insisted Allen would be the LDE and Robison/Edwards would be the RDE.

I could see this line having a very significant number of sacks and make a push at the numbers our line put up in 1991.

singersp
05-24-2008, 11:09 AM
As much as I like to see players set their goals high & then play with intensity, Ray is going to have a hard time outdoing Allen.

It'll come down to whose getting double teamed the most. If they all play well, which I expect them to do, it will be hard for our opponents to cover them all.

gagarr
05-24-2008, 11:28 AM
Jeez... This is getting stupid.
AD's goal is one thing, given that he's already set a impressive single game record.

If RE beat a single game sack record of 7, I think I wouldn't find his statement foolish.

Next, TJ will be saying he's looking to beat Mannings record of 49 TD's.

But maybe he's using the "Little Engine" motivation philosophy.
All the power too him!

singersp
05-24-2008, 11:46 AM
"gagarr" wrote:

AD's goal is one thing, given that he's already set a impressive single game record.

If RE beat a single game sack record of 7, I think I wouldn't find his statement foolish.

All the power too him!

There's nothing wrong with setting your goals high as long as you don't get disappointed if you don't make them. It's all about positive attitude.

Would you rather see them put forth a negative Nancy attitude & say "No way am I going to achieve my dream or improve my play, so I'm not going to bother trying"?

gagarr
05-24-2008, 11:57 AM
"singersp" wrote:

"gagarr" wrote:

All the power too him!

There's nothing wrong with setting your goals high as long as you don't get disappointed if you don't make them. It's all about positive attitude.

Would you rather see them put forth a negative Nancy attitude & say "No way am I going to achieve my dream or improve my play, so I'm not going to bother trying"?

I'm all for setting high goals.
I just think that setting the highest goal when you have never proven anything, just makes you look foolish.
I don't want a Vike looking foolish.
I'm sure the cheeseheads are jumping all over that statement.

I would be happy if he made double digits.

ItalianStallion
05-24-2008, 12:00 PM
"gagarr" wrote:

"singersp" wrote:

"gagarr" wrote:

All the power too him!

I just think that setting the highest goal when you have never proven anything, just makes you look foolish.

A goal is usually something you have yet to accomplish...why do you have to prove something before you can say you want to be better?

singersp
05-24-2008, 12:00 PM
"gagarr" wrote:

"singersp" wrote:

"gagarr" wrote:

All the power too him!

Let them jump. When Rodgers is flat on his back on the turf as the result of an Allen, Williams or Edwards sack, it will be us having the last laugh.

IMO the Pack will try & double team Allen & K-Will & when that happens it will open up the lane for Edwards.

If you're old enough to remember the play of the Purple People Eaters, get ready for part deux. If not, sit back & enjoy the ride. It's going to be a great season on the defensive side of the ball.

HEY
05-24-2008, 12:12 PM
"singersp" wrote:

Vikings | Team moves Edwards from right end to left end (http://www.kffl.com/gnews.php?id=476693)

2008-05-23 15:05:36

kffl.com

Ryan Kibbe, of KSTP-TV, in Minnesota, reports the Minnesota Vikings moved DL Ray Edwards from right defensive end to left end after bulking up five to 10 pounds....

So I guess Ray Edwards will be the #1 guy on the LE depht chart now. It's too sad that we lost E James and that Udeze is out for the season. They weren't great, but they would have been reliable backups.

VikingsTw
05-24-2008, 12:25 PM
Now Udeze isn't done completely, for this year yes but if he beats his sickness he will back but I don't think he will be getting a starting position back. I believe Ray Edwards is better than Udeze and he was a 4th round pick. Edwards has a step on Udeze when it comes to quickness and he's very deticated to his body and it shows, I'm even yet to see him after this offseason I'm just going off of what he's done since drafted.

Edwards should have a solid season, I'm hoping for double digit sacks. I have no problem with his goals, as a Head Coach you gotta love a players ethusiasm and confidence. Wether its AP or Edwards these guys love football and want to contribute in a big way. If Edwards can become a top DE in the league we will have a very good tandem at DE that will help us win games for years to come.

gagarr
05-24-2008, 12:27 PM
"ItalianStallion" wrote:

"gagarr" wrote:

"singersp" wrote:

"gagarr" wrote:

All the power too him!

A goal is usually something you have yet to accomplish...why do you have to prove something before you can say you want to be better?

If Edwards draws even a little more attention to himself by making that statement, I'll be very glad.
As the other 3 Pro Bowlers on the line will surely be drawing alot more.

WildViking3030
05-24-2008, 12:33 PM
I think it's great he wants to achieve that this season.
I'm pretty sure most, if not all players want to be the best at what they do,
good on them.

Vikes_King
05-24-2008, 01:04 PM
LOVE IT!
Having JA & Edwards compete for it will be sweet
;)

happy camper
05-24-2008, 02:11 PM
Love the attitude from Ray Edwards. As long as he is putting forth the required effort during the offseason and training.

I think some members here need to be aware of the difference between a goal and a prediction.

dcboardr41
05-24-2008, 02:25 PM
gotta love the attitude he is showing, and he will ahve one on one matchups throughout the year, good luck to him

midgensa
05-24-2008, 02:28 PM
I am all for big time goals and all that, but for some reason this reads to me as if he was probably joking around.
I do think Edwards is in line for a big season though ... and I look forward to seeing him come back from his suspension with a vengeance.

Purple Floyd
05-24-2008, 03:35 PM
My goal for the year for the line

JA- 20
RE-20
Robison-7
Kev Will-7
Pat Will- 3

That would give the base 5 interior lie(Robison as a sub) 57 sacks. Then throw in a bunch by Sharper, Greenway,Henderson and Leber as well as a few others and we could equal or improve on the team record.

Formo
05-24-2008, 03:35 PM
I love it when a player sets his sights high.
Here's to seeing how it turns out.

mark
05-24-2008, 04:27 PM
"ItalianStallion" wrote:

"gagarr" wrote:

"singersp" wrote:

"gagarr" wrote:

All the power too him!

is there a DE who dosnt want 30 sacks? this goal stuff is such a joke.just play football.

Formo
05-24-2008, 04:30 PM
"mark" wrote:

"ItalianStallion" wrote:

"gagarr" wrote:

"singersp" wrote:

"gagarr" wrote:

All the power too him!

is there a DE who dosnt want 30 sacks? this goal stuff is such a joke.just play football.

Every player WANTS to be the best.
It's not about if they WANT it.
It's if they are willing to WORK for it.
And, according to the article, Edwards IS.

Your post is a joke.

VikingsTw
05-24-2008, 04:31 PM
"mark" wrote:

"ItalianStallion" wrote:

"gagarr" wrote:

"singersp" wrote:

"gagarr" wrote:

All the power too him!

Thats horrible, you have to set goals otherwise you don't have a bar, setting that bar high is always a good idea.

mark
05-24-2008, 04:33 PM
"Formo" wrote:

"mark" wrote:

"ItalianStallion" wrote:

"gagarr" wrote:

"singersp" wrote:

All the power too him!

Your post is a joke.

that is the dumbest thing i have ever heard.your just a typical mouthbreathing fanatic that probably never played a sport in your life

Formo
05-24-2008, 04:51 PM
"mark" wrote:

"Formo" wrote:

"mark" wrote:

"ItalianStallion" wrote:

"gagarr" wrote:

All the power too him!

Your post is a joke.

that is the dumbest thing i have ever heard.your just a typical mouthbreathing fanatic that probably never played a sport in your life

What is the dumbest thing you've heard?
That I just schooled you by just stating the FACTS?
Or that last sentance?

You got me pegged man, I'm just a mouthbreathing (whatever that means) fanatic.
And probably never played any sports...
Except football.

mark
05-24-2008, 05:10 PM
"Formo" wrote:

"mark" wrote:

"Formo" wrote:

"mark" wrote:

"ItalianStallion" wrote:

All the power too him!

Your post is a joke.

Or that last sentance?

Except football.

what facts? you said some stuff about wanting it.thats something i would tell a little league kid.that has nothing to do with edwards saying he wants 50 sacks

Formo
05-25-2008, 04:12 AM
"mark" wrote:

"Formo" wrote:

"mark" wrote:

"Formo" wrote:

"mark" wrote:

All the power too him!

Your post is a joke.

Or that last sentance?

Except football.

what facts? you said some stuff about wanting it.thats something i would tell a little league kid.that has nothing to do with edwards saying he wants 50 sacks

omfg lern 2 reed gud

Zeus
05-25-2008, 05:34 AM
"Marrdro" wrote:

Edwards also made other changes. He's bulked up about 5 to 10 pounds, since the Vikings moved him from right end to left defensive end.

We all know that the LDE doesn't have to be bigger than your typical RDE to play that position.
All he has to do is have good technique/skills and he can out play the bigger guys on that side.

I don't see one word in the quote you posted that is "poppy cock".

So I will say that this is more poppy cock from The Man Who Hates The Media.

=Z=

marstc09
05-25-2008, 08:28 AM
"singersp" wrote:

"gagarr" wrote:

All the power too him!

I am all for setting goals but I would rather here something after it like, "but I would rather have my team win the NFC north and go very deep in the playoffs."

marstc09
05-25-2008, 08:45 AM
"Zeus" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

I don't see one word in the quote you posted that is "poppy cock".

So I will say that this is more poppy cock from The Man Who Hates The Media.

=Z=

The only poppy cock is the Vikings not making a strong push for the Super Bowl in a long time. The fans deserve this. especially the ones forking over money for tickets every year. Like I said I am all for these guys setting goals but I want the team to succeed.

digital420
05-26-2008, 06:46 AM
I've said it before, and i'll say it again.

dbl teams will come in forms of..

Olinemen, rb's, te's, fb's
even with all of this.. that's dbl teaming JA, PhatPat, and Kwill.. Ray is gonna have single coverage alllllll year long. and if he doesn't.. well.. it's like my old Aikido instructer used say when i asked him.. "Sensai.. why would someone grab and hold onto the end of the staff so i could do this move.."
his reply was.."Well.. they can let you hit them on the head with it if they don't wish to grab and hold it."

another aspect is that.. as we deem fit.. we can send 1-2 even 3 db's/lb on a blitz.. with all the backfield busy it's super highway to the qb/rb .. so when a center yells out.. BLITZ and points toward a lb.. Ray will have even less eyes on him.

i really do see him having a great year. and to be honest whoever plays in that off spot is gonna have career stats.

sack title?
he's got a lot of competition from his teamates.. but. it's a good thought!!

DiGiTaL

singersp
05-26-2008, 09:54 AM
Ray Edwards Loves Him Some Him (http://www.dailynorseman.com/2008/5/25/535938/ray-edwards-loves-him-some)

by Gonzo on May 25, 2008 3:17 PM CDT
dailynorseman.com

No matter what walk of life it is that you find yourself in, it's always important that you have goals for yourself.
It's also important that you keep those goals at least partially grounded in reality....

mountainviking
05-26-2008, 03:50 PM
I love it!!!
Sounds like he's putting in the effort, and it looks like we've got the other guys in place to make it an outside possibility!
Pretty sure teams aren't worried about Ray yet...not with the Williams and Allen drawing so much attention.
I don't know about over 20, cuz if Allen had 10 due to double teams, that would still be 30 from just our starting DEs!
(Last year's team total was 38)
And you know we'll get a few out of the DTs, Robison and Mitchell as a depth/backups, the LBs and S on blitzes ect...

I keep thinking of our defense, the line especially, as modern day representitives of their historical namesakes...Attacking surprisingly swiftly in a concentrated mass and taking home the spoils of war regularly!!!

BAAAWOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!
Look out NFL QBs, the Vikings are coming!!!!!

midgensa
05-26-2008, 04:19 PM
"UffDaVikes" wrote:

My goal for the year for the line

JA- 20
RE-20
Robison-7
Kev Will-7
Pat Will- 3

That would give the base 5 interior lie(Robison as a sub) 57 sacks. Then throw in a bunch by Sharper, Greenway,Henderson and Leber as well as a few others and we could equal or improve on the team record.

Yeah ... we are not going to get 60 sacks next year. But it would be nice.
;D

Marrdro
05-26-2008, 05:12 PM
"UffDaVikes" wrote:

This was what I said would be the configuration when Allen signed and the best combination we could ask for contrary to some who insisted Allen would be the LDE and Robison/Edwards would be the RDE.

I could see this line having a very significant number of sacks and make a push at the numbers our line put up in 1991.

Some contended that he had the size to play LDE and thought he could do as good a job over there as he would on the right side.

Some of us that contended that assumed that it would be bad for one of our RDE to bulk up to play that side as it might slow them down.

Time will tell who conteded right..... ;D

Marrdro
05-26-2008, 05:17 PM
"Zeus" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

More poppy c**I love the word I used**k from the press.

I don't see one word in the quote you posted that is "poppy c**I love the word I used**k".

So I will say that this is more poppy c**I love the word I used**k from The Man Who Hates The Media.

=Z=

Another attempt at being sarcastic that you obviously missed (again).
Guess I have to put a note my posts for you when I am attempting the fine art of sarcasim.
;D

Marrdro
05-26-2008, 05:23 PM
"digital420" wrote:

even with all of this.. that's dbl teaming JA, PhatPat, and Kwill.. Ray is gonna have single coverage alllllll year long. and if he doesn't.. well.. it's like my old Aikido instructer used say when i asked him.. "Sensai.. why would someone grab and hold onto the end of the staff so i could do this move.."
his reply was.."Well.. they can let you hit them on the head with it if they don't wish to grab and hold it."

another aspect is that.. as we deem fit.. we can send 1-2 even 3 db's/lb on a blitz.. with all the backfield busy it's super highway to the qb/rb .. so when a center yells out.. BLITZ and points toward a lb.. Ray will have even less eyes on him.

i really do see him having a great year. and to be honest whoever plays in that off spot is gonna have career stats.

sack title?

DiGiTaL

Good analysis Dig but I have a small issue with respect to Ray being singled all year long.

If the DL is gonna be as dominant as some think then teams will try to take that away at times with extra blockers across the board.

My guess is that offensive coords will run out alot of double TE sets to negate the DE on both sides.
Although this will negate the rush from the DE position it will take a WR off the field allowing the LB'rs to put pressure up the middle/through the gaps if Kwill and Phat Pat eat up the G's, C's and FB/RB's.

The result will be that Ray and Jared won't get to the QB as much but teams will still struggle to stop the other guys that are now free to get to the QB because of adjustments made by the coaching staffs (less WR's).

midgensa
05-26-2008, 05:43 PM
"Marrdro" wrote:

"digital420" wrote:

sack title?

DiGiTaL

Good analysis Dig but I have a small issue with respect to Ray being singled all year long.

If the DL is gonna be as dominant as some think then teams will try to take that away at times with extra blockers across the board.

My guess is that offensive coords will run out alot of double TE sets to negate the DE on both sides.
Although this will negate the rush from the DE position it will take a WR off the field allowing the LB'rs to put pressure up the middle/through the gaps if Kwill and Phat Pat eat up the G's, C's and FB/RB's.

The result will be that Ray and Jared won't get to the QB as much but teams will still struggle to stop the other guys that are now free to get to the QB because of adjustments made by the coaching staffs (less WR's).

Yeah, I was thinking along these lines the other night. I think that EJ is going to have a MONSTER year and could produce as many as 10 sacks and 160 tackles. He will pretty much be free to roam (much like Ray Lewis was with those dominant Ravens teams) due to the pressure the line will produce and the adjustments O-Coord.'s will have to make to stop them.
I think we can definitely expect an exciting season from the defensive side of the ball.

vikes2456
05-26-2008, 05:54 PM
If you don't set your goals high you will never rise to up to anyones expectations, I wish him nothing but the best

Marrdro
05-26-2008, 05:59 PM
"vikes2456" wrote:

If you don't set your goals high you will never rise to up to anyones expectations, I wish him nothing but the best

I agree Vikes.

I was somewhat suprised to read that some people were upset/disagreed with setting lofty goals.

Guess I have set my kids up for failure then as I have taught them to set loft goals as well.
Good thing I tempered that teaching with some common sense that sometimes they won't reach those goals but to try none-the-less and to be proud of thier effort.
:-

Overlord
05-26-2008, 06:00 PM
Everyone sets their own goals, so he can do and say what he wants.
But the sack title is a little much for a guy that has 8 sacks over two years.
Fact is that other people (not Vikings fans) will see this about the same way that they see Kitna's predictions of 10 wins - laughable.

I hope he does well and accomplishes his goal.
But it's more important to me that the entire team does well.
I'd love to see him have double digits and Kevin Williams become a 10 sack guy.
Love to see the team make and win the Super Bowl too.

gagarr
05-26-2008, 06:04 PM
"Marrdro" wrote:

"digital420" wrote:

sack title?

DiGiTaL

If RE and JA are going hell bent to get to the QB, the LB's better be watching for lots of screen passes, shovel passes (glad Farve is gone, he was great at the shovel), delays, etc..

I don't care if the Vikes get 1 sack, INT, or fumble recovery as long as the opponents don't get 1 first down!!!
;D

mountainviking
05-27-2008, 04:07 PM
EJ was a monster last year!
I could see him being even better this one, with better pressure happening in front of him.
Picture this, the DL ties up the back at the line, and EJ finishes them off.
Or takes the ball!

singersp
05-27-2008, 09:04 PM
KIBBE: In defense of Edwards, Vikings' Robison also aims high (http://kstp.com/article/stories/S457425.shtml?cat=7)

Posted at: 05/27/2008 04:47:31 PM
Updated at: 05/27/2008 05:28:52 PM

By: Ryan Kibbe
kstp.com

Brian Robison-Vikings Defensive End

"I don't see how Ray's going to break the NFL sack record if I'm going to be doing it every time he does it....

singersp
05-28-2008, 06:08 AM
Ends' game: Minnesota Vikings' Ray Edwards believes he has shot at single-season sack record; fellow defensive end Brian Robison disagrees (http://www.twincities.com/ci_9397830)

By Don Seeholzer
dseeholzer@pioneerpress.com
twincities.com

Article Last Updated: 05/28/2008 12:52:00 AM CDT

What began as a throwaway line on draft day suddenly is getting national attention, but Ray Edwards isn't backing off...

PurpleTide
05-28-2008, 06:35 AM
I love all the optimism. Set them goals way up there. If we get double digit sacks from both our ends, and Pat, and Kevin get 10 plus between them, add Robison coming off the bench we could very well be the second coming of the "Purple People Eaters", just like singer mentioned. I can't wait to enjoy this upcoming season and the havoc our defense will bring.

I still have memories of Marshall, and Eller wrapping up Roman Gabriel in the playoffs, or Page sacking Roger Stauback, this year will only add to the memories.

Prophet
05-28-2008, 06:55 AM
KFFL
Vikings | Robison jokes about sack record
Tue, 27 May 2008 15:19:59 -0700

Ryan Kibbe, of KSTP-TV, in Minnesota, reports Minnesota Vikings DL Brian Robison joked about DL Ray Edwards' comments about breaking the NFL sack record. "I don't see how Ray's going to break the NFL sack record if I'm going to be doing it every time he does it. If he thinks he can out-rush me then (more) power to him but I don't think it will happen," said Robison.

Vikefanman2000
05-28-2008, 10:57 AM
"Edwards said he is studying film of Simeon Rice, Jason Taylor, Osi Umenyiora “and Jared Allen – but we’ve got him here so I can learn from him in person – Dwight Freeney, all the greats. I tried to get some Reggie White film, but can’t nobody find me none."

Nice to see that Purdue education is working for him!
:o

Jereamiah
05-28-2008, 11:10 AM
This is a GREAT time to be a 'vikes fan. No doubt. I can feel the excitement coming out of the organization.
To begin with, A.D. After that the team has just upgraded the D by adding the best end in the league. Jackson has the benefit of another year and alot more experience to go off of, you bet. The supposedly least talented starter on the D-line is Ray Edwards. I'll take that guy anyday. Cannot wait for gameday. Look at it this way: At least we don't root for the bears and the only thing they have to look forward to and the only thing they can fixate on is a return guy. Thats it. I hope the 'Vikes first play is a kick-off followed by that sick-ass line blowing holes in the pack's o-line. Awesome! I believe that Edwards has a shot at double digits no doubt!

IwearSox21
05-28-2008, 08:13 PM
I think
Leslie Frazier should implement a package similar to giants 4 aces packeage Spagnuolo created with strahan, osi, tuck, and Kiwanuka. It would have Allen, K-Will, Robinson, and Edwards.

NordicNed
05-28-2008, 08:21 PM
"IwearSox21" wrote:

I think
Leslie Frazier should implement a package similar to giants 4 aces packeage Spagnuolo created with strahan, osi, tuck, and Kiwanuka. It would have Allen, K-Will, Robinson, and Edwards.

I hear you there, like on 3rd and long situations....... ;)

IwearSox21
05-28-2008, 08:22 PM
"NordicNed" wrote:

"IwearSox21" wrote:

I think

It could both Robinson and Edwards a chance to fight for sacks they both say there goin to get..

dcboardr41
05-28-2008, 08:24 PM
"IwearSox21" wrote:

"NordicNed" wrote:

"IwearSox21" wrote:

I think

It could both Robinson and Edwards a chance to fight for sacks they both say there goin to get..

Robison is strong enough to play DT on 3rd and longs, i would be very surprised if we didnt see those 4 guys on the line

Ranger
05-29-2008, 11:29 AM
Between Edwards predicting a shattering of Strahan's record and Charles in Dever claiming he's going to rush for 2,000 yards, players like Adrian Peterson, Jared Allen and Tomlinson are rapidly becoming obsolete.

Marrdro
05-29-2008, 11:36 AM
"IwearSox21" wrote:

I think

Several times last year Keneche dropped down inside next to K-will (and Pat at times) which gave us a DL with 1 DT and 3 DE's.

tb04512
05-29-2008, 11:54 AM
Ray is working hard, hes at lifetime fitness allll the time, you can tell hes gotten bigger, plus wasn't he doing boxing during his suspension or martial arts or something?

BloodyHorns82
05-29-2008, 11:56 AM
"tb04512" wrote:

Ray is working hard, hes at lifetime fitness allll the time, you can tell hes gotten bigger, plus wasn't he doing boxing during his suspension or martial arts or something?

Are you saying that you see him working out at Lifetime?
Which state?

C Mac D
05-29-2008, 11:57 AM
"BloodyHorns82" wrote:

"tb04512" wrote:

Which state?

Why doesn't he just use the Vikings' facility?

tb04512
05-29-2008, 12:01 PM
"BloodyHorns82" wrote:

"tb04512" wrote:

Which state?

minnesota, he goes to the Chanhassen one.
Last year Dontarrious came there and played basketball with us, and a week ago I met Martin Nance and played basketball with him.
i guess Chilly's wife goes there too, a lot of pros go there actually, John Thomas (who is terrible at basketball), Kris Humphries, its the place to go!!!

oh and i met EJ henderson last week as he was walking into a mall
;D

tb04512
05-29-2008, 12:03 PM
"C" wrote:

"BloodyHorns82" wrote:

"tb04512" wrote:

Which state?

he goes more at like 6-7pm

BloodyHorns82
05-29-2008, 12:07 PM
"tb04512" wrote:

"C" wrote:

"BloodyHorns82" wrote:

"tb04512" wrote:

Which state?

Yeah...I asked which state because I was wondering why he didn't just use the Vikings facility.
However after joining a Lifetime, it's hard to imagine the Vikings facility as being any better.

tb04512
05-29-2008, 12:10 PM
"BloodyHorns82" wrote:

"tb04512" wrote:

"C" wrote:

"BloodyHorns82" wrote:

"tb04512" wrote:

Which state?

Yeah...I asked which state because I was wondering why he didn't just use the Vikings facility.
However after joining a Lifetime, it's hard to imagine the Vikings facility as being any better.

yeah they have a pretty good setup, maybe its closer to his house? i think he goes to the vikings facility and then goes to lifetime after.
he goes for about hour and a half to two hours, hes scary looking, but a pretty cool guy

singersp
05-30-2008, 06:44 AM
"BloodyHorns82" wrote:

"tb04512" wrote:

"C" wrote:

"BloodyHorns82" wrote:

"tb04512" wrote:

Which state?

Wait a minute. Are you saying a fitness facility has better equipment than the Vikings facility & that's Ray & others go there?

Didn't Culpepper get flamed for doing the same thing?

Shouldn't Edwards, Thomas & Nance be working out at the Vikings facility so Childress & Sugarman can keep watch on them?

Purple Floyd
05-30-2008, 09:17 AM
"singersp" wrote:

"BloodyHorns82" wrote:

"tb04512" wrote:

"C" wrote:

"BloodyHorns82" wrote:

Which state?

Wait a minute. Are you saying a fitness facility has better equipment than the Vikings facility & that's Ray & others go there?

Shouldn't Edwards, Thomas & Nance be working out at the Vikings facility so Childress & Sugarman can keep watch on them?

Absolutely. How are they supposed to set an example for the youngsters if they are out doing stuff on their own out of the eye of big brother?

Marrdro
05-30-2008, 09:30 AM
"UffDaVikes" wrote:

"singersp" wrote:

"BloodyHorns82" wrote:

"tb04512" wrote:

"C" wrote:

Which state?

Absolutely. How are they supposed to set an example for the youngsters if they are out doing stuff on their own out of the eye of big brother?

Another convert.
;D
;D
;D
;D
;D

Formo
05-30-2008, 10:49 AM
"singersp" wrote:

"BloodyHorns82" wrote:

"tb04512" wrote:

"C" wrote:

"BloodyHorns82" wrote:

Which state?

No, he got flamed (at least from Chilly) because he was rehabing in a strip mall next door to a Chinese restaurant.

midgensa
05-30-2008, 11:01 AM
"Formo" wrote:

"singersp" wrote:

"BloodyHorns82" wrote:

"tb04512" wrote:

"C" wrote:

Which state?

No, he got flamed (at least from Chilly) because he was rehabing in a strip mall next door to a Chinese restaurant.

Don't be hating, that strip mall has some great equipment.

singersp
05-30-2008, 06:52 PM
"Formo" wrote:

"singersp" wrote:

"BloodyHorns82" wrote:

"tb04512" wrote:

"C" wrote:

Which state?

??? Where do you think a lot of these fitness centers & health spas are located? Many of them are located in mini malls or near shopping centers.

Purple Floyd
05-30-2008, 06:55 PM
"Marrdro" wrote:

"UffDaVikes" wrote:

"singersp" wrote:

"BloodyHorns82" wrote:

"tb04512" wrote:

Which state?

Another convert.
;D
;D
;D
;D
;D

;)

gregair13
05-30-2008, 08:36 PM
if ray edwards has more sacks at the end of the year than jared allen, i will buy his jersey.

singersp
06-06-2008, 04:57 AM
Strahan’s reaction (http://ww3.startribune.com/vikingsblog/?p=1637)

June 5th, 2008 – 1:41 PM

by Judd Zulgad
startribune.com

Vikings defensive end Ray Edwards has stated his goal in 2008 is to break Michael Strahan’s single-season sack record of 22.5...

Mr-holland
06-06-2008, 06:36 AM
“If you wouldn’t have put his picture up I wouldn’t have known who he was,” Strahan said. But Strahan made it clear he wasn’t upset. “I like the confidence,” he added.
LOL ;D
I really like Strahan though great player...

As for Ray.. he does not need to have alot of sacks everything 6+ is fine , i just hope he can contribute

Marrdro
06-06-2008, 09:20 AM
"Mr-holland" wrote:

“If you wouldn’t have put his picture up I wouldn’t have known who he was,” Strahan said. But Strahan made it clear he wasn’t upset. “I like the confidence,” he added.
LOL ;D
I really like Strahan though great player...

As for Ray.. he does not need to have alot of sacks everything 6+ is fine , i just hope he can contribute

6 would be nice and probably a bit more realistic on a normal line.
I really believe though that alot of attention will be paid to JA and Edwards will get a few more than 6, if (Big IF) our two DT's can collapse the pocket.

It really doesn't matter who is playing DE....If those two big boys don't collapse the pocket on a consistent basis all the Tackles will have to do is take a inside step on the JA and Ray and then ride them out/around the QB as he steps up and throws.

C Mac D
06-06-2008, 09:23 AM
"singersp" wrote:

Strahan’s reaction (http://ww3.startribune.com/vikingsblog/?p=1637)

June 5th, 2008 – 1:41 PM

by Judd Zulgad
startribune.com

Vikings defensive end Ray Edwards has stated his goal in 2008 is to break Michael Strahan’s single-season sack record of 22.5...

I think this is called the "Peterson Effect" and I love how its infected our team. Peterson's goals coming in his rookie year were unbelievable, yet he came pretty damn close to accomplishing all of them (except 1800 yards). I think this attitude of, "Set the bar as high as possible" is really getting into the minds of the rest of the team.

cajunvike
06-06-2008, 09:36 AM
Nothing wrong with Ray stating his goals.
Heck, what are the opposing teams going to do?
Double him?
Be my guest...then Jared Allen will mop up.
This season will be "Pick Your Poison" along the Vikings DL...and since most teams are going to focus on Allen or one of the Williams Bros, Edwards will get enough favorable matchups that he just might end up with the opportunity to actually approach his stated goals.
It is actually a safer boast than Peterson's.

singersp
06-07-2008, 06:36 AM
Allen invites the high expectations (http://blogs.twincities.com/Vikings/2008/06/allen_invites_the_high_expecta.html)

by Sean Jensen on June 6, 2008 1:38 PM
twincities.com

Vikings DE Jared Allen isn't shying away from any of the lofty projections of his new team.

He supported Ray Edwards' pursuit of Michael Strahan's sack record, and he insists his teammates are all thinking big....

whackthepack
06-07-2008, 07:42 AM
I don't see a problem with what he said.

Udeze a few years a go said he and Erasmus would both be over 10 sacks and he got 0 and Erasmus got hurt.

Maybe if Udeze would have put his sights on Strahan's record he would have had a sack that year.

If a player on a team that finished last in their division the year before said his goal was to win the Superbowl this year.
Would anybody say anything bad about it?

No, because that should be the goal of every player.

So Edwards sets his goal on Strahan record and ends up with 13 sacks
-
so what should his goal be the following year?
To beat Strahan's sack record.

Marrdro
06-07-2008, 09:28 AM
"singersp" wrote:

Allen invites the high expectations (http://blogs.twincities.com/Vikings/2008/06/allen_invites_the_high_expecta.html)

twincities.com

Vikings DE Jared Allen isn't shying away from any of the lofty projections of his new team.

He supported Ray Edwards' pursuit of Michael Strahan's sack record, and he insists his teammates are all thinking big....

Later, Allen added, "We expect to go to the Super Bowl.

"We expect to win. We expect to win our division, and do well in the playoffs. That cannot be put on the backburner. I came here because I expect to win, and that’s the attitude this organization has."

YOU GO JA.... ;D

Seriously, I just don't see the big deal with setting high expectations and goals.
Seems to me that if someone doesn't set lofty goals they won't achieve them.

ragz
06-07-2008, 01:08 PM
"Marrdro" wrote:

"singersp" wrote:

twincities.com

"We expect to win. We expect to win our division, and do well in the playoffs. That cannot be put on the backburner. I came here because I expect to win, and that’s the attitude this organization has."

YOU GO JA.... ;D

Seriously, I just don't see the big deal with setting high expectations and goals.

it's just talk.
does anyone ever really buy when these players act modest and say the pc thing?
personally i like a little swagger, but in the end it dont mean squat cuz they still gotta perform.
so it's fun to hear it now and talk about it, but if we are in week 8 and he has one sack he's gonna get shit.
but he woulda got shit even without the statement, at least from me.
now he either performs or suffers a bit more of embarrassment for being yappy.

FuadFan
06-07-2008, 06:44 PM
http://ww3.startribune.com/vikingsblog/?p=1646

Not the smoothest start towards his goal but nothing too serious. Also good news for E.J.

dcboardr41
06-07-2008, 06:46 PM
"FuadFan" wrote:

Not the smoothest start towards his goal but nothing too serious. Also good news for E.J.

i think this is bigger news, but im sure alot of us saw it coming

On another note, safety Darren Sharper said middle linebacker E.J. Henderson will be the primary defensive player on the Vikings to wear the communication device in his helmet that will allow him to receive instructions from the sideline and communicate them in the huddle this season.

Marrdro
06-09-2008, 12:22 PM
"dcboardr41" wrote:

"FuadFan" wrote:

On another note, safety Darren Sharper said middle linebacker E.J. Henderson will be the primary defensive player on the Vikings to wear the communication device in his helmet that will allow him to receive instructions from the sideline and communicate them in the huddle this season.

I still don't understand the logistics of how that will work.
My understanding is that only one green dot can be on the field at one time.

What happens if EJ is the designated green dot and he leaves the field.
Does Sharp have to recognize that EJ is going out, then run over to the side line fast enough to get his helmet on to ensure he gets the call and then get it to the defense?

Something is fishing with respect to how this will work. ::)

NodakPaul
06-09-2008, 01:00 PM
"Marrdro" wrote:

"singersp" wrote:

twincities.com

YOU GO JA.... ;D

Depends on how the player states it, and whether or not you are a fan of that team.
Kitna continues to take shit because he guaranteed ten wins last year.
Now we all know that he was just setting his expectations high, but by guaranteeing it, it makes him look stupid.

People are worries that the Vikings are pulling a Kitna with AD, JA, and Ray's goals.
But I don't think so.
These are goals, not guarantees.
Big difference IMHO.

C Mac D
06-09-2008, 01:04 PM
"NodakPaul" wrote:

Depends on how the player states it, and whether or not you are a fan of that team.
Kitna continues to take shit because he guaranteed ten wins last year.
Now we all know that he was just setting his expectations high, but by guaranteeing it, it makes him look stupid.

People are worries that the Vikings are pulling a Kitna with AD, JA, and Ray's goals.
But I don't think so.
These are goals, not guarantees.
Big difference IMHO.

There's a difference between "Guarantees" and "Expectations"... no one on the Vikings has made any guarantees (that I know of), they only have high expectations... which I think they should.

happy camper
06-09-2008, 01:21 PM
"Marrdro" wrote:

"dcboardr41" wrote:

"FuadFan" wrote:

Does Sharp have to recognize that EJ is going out, then run over to the side line fast enough to get his helmet on to ensure he gets the call and then get it to the defense?

I'm guessing the #2 MLB will also have a green dot. That way, when Henderson is out of the game, the replacement is the one with the dot.

dcboardr41
06-09-2008, 02:32 PM
"Marrdro" wrote:

"dcboardr41" wrote:

"FuadFan" wrote:

from what i understand, i believe only one radio helmet to one defender thats on the roster, thats why each team has to be careful on which player gets the radio, they need to choose a leader and someone who is on the field almost all the time, i believe EJ was the easy choice here.

Marrdro
10-27-2008, 08:10 AM
Words, not QBs, fall flat

Ray Edwards might have some regrets. He might regret the back pain he dealt with in training camp, the shoulder injury that came next, and the aching knee that threatened to take him out of the Vikings' game against Chicago.

http://www.twincities.com/vikings/ci_10823823?nclick_check=1

V4L
10-27-2008, 09:33 AM
Link is not working for me

Marrdro
10-27-2008, 09:39 AM
"V4L" wrote:

Just checked.
Works fine.
You at work? Firewalls do funky things sometimes.

V4L
10-27-2008, 09:40 AM
Nope not at work

Wonder what's wrong with mine?!

I love reading about Ray Edwards

singersp
10-27-2008, 06:20 PM
"Marrdro" wrote:

"V4L" wrote:

Just checked.
Works fine.
You at work? Firewalls do funky things sometimes.

No it doesn't. It is only working for you.

This is what happens when a yutzhound tries to do a newshounds work.

Here ya go V4L;

Words, not QBs, fall flat (http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?S=63&F=1554&T=3283307&P=1)

Oops: With 1/2 sack, Edwards still 22 shy of his bold preseason prediction

By Kelsie Smith

marstc09
10-27-2008, 06:37 PM
I think we should let Robison play out the rest of the season

Marrdro
10-28-2008, 05:28 AM
"singersp" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

"V4L" wrote:

Just checked.
Works fine. You at work? Firewalls do funky things sometimes.

No it doesn't. It is only working for you.

This is what happens when a yutzhound tries to do a newshounds work.

Here ya go V4L;

Words, not QBs, fall flat (http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?S=63&F=1554&T=3283307&P=1)

Oops: With 1/2 sack, Edwards still 22 shy of his bold preseason prediction

By Kelsie Smith

Only works for me?
Seriously, I have the only computer on the internet that gets access to that news agency?

Damn I feel special.

By the way, yutzhound wouldn't have to be doing the newshounds job if the newshound was up as early as me.

;D

Marrdro
10-28-2008, 05:31 AM
"marstc09" wrote:

That would do it.

Comeon, Ray is getting beat to death over there and can't stay healthy even after he added the extra weight.
What makes you think that Rob would fare any better?

The right answer is that our "Golden Boy" D-coord needs to get his head out of his ass and increase the rotations at LDE so that our guys (undersized by the way) aren't getting beat to death.

Rob would get more reps and more production and Ray would be able to stay a bit fresher.

(Key note:
And you guys want this yutz to take over for the Chiller.
DAMN (big damn)).

singersp
10-28-2008, 05:59 AM
"Marrdro" wrote:

"marstc09" wrote:

That would do it.

Comeon, Ray is getting beat to death over there and can't stay healthy even after he added the extra weight.

The right answer is that our "Golden Boy" D-coord needs to get his head out of his ass and increase the rotations at LDE so that our guys (undersized by the way) aren't getting beat to death.

Rob would get more reps and more production and Ray would be able to stay a bit fresher.

(Key note:
DAMN (big damn)).

Ali knocked out Frazier once, mb he can do it again.

Personally, I think Frazier is just riding the coat tails of Tomlin's installed defense & it will eventually erode.

Marrdro
10-28-2008, 06:04 AM
"singersp" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

"marstc09" wrote:

That would do it.

The right answer is that our "Golden Boy" D-coord needs to get his head out of his jiggly butt and increase the rotations at LDE so that our guys (undersized by the way) aren't getting beat to death.

(Key note:
gol 'darnit (big gol 'darnit)).

Ali knocked out Frazier once, mb he can do it again.

Personally, I think Frazier is just riding the coat tails of Tomlin's installed defense & it will eventually erode.

I agree.

We will get to see what kindof coach he is when we lose the Williams boys.
Well, at least the Frazier crotchsniffers will get to see what I
(we) already know my friend.
;D

marstc09
10-28-2008, 07:06 PM
"Marrdro" wrote:

"marstc09" wrote:

That would do it.

(Key note:
DAMN (big damn)).

Who said anything about him doing any better?

SamOchoCinco
10-28-2008, 07:15 PM
"marstc09" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

"marstc09" wrote:

That would do it.

(Key note:
DAMN (big damn)).

yeah thats true. nobody said he would do better for us. and i want a taco

Marrdro
10-29-2008, 06:18 AM
"marstc09" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

"marstc09" wrote:

That would do it.

The right answer is that our "Golden Boy" D-coord needs to get his head out of his jiggly butt and increase the rotations at LDE so that our guys (undersized by the way) aren't getting beat to death.

(Key note:

Silly me, someone says they want someone else to play over a certain individual and I go off assuming they want the cat to play cause they feel he will do better.

I should have known you wanted Rob to play over Ray cause you wanted to see him do worse.

Man I am slow sometimes.
;D
;D

bleedpurple
10-29-2008, 12:44 PM
"Marrdro" wrote:

"marstc09" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

"marstc09" wrote:

That would do it.

(Key note:

Silly me, someone says they want someone else to play over a certain individual and I go off assuming they want the cat to play cause they feel he will do better.

I should have known you wanted Rob to play over Ray cause you wanted to see him do worse.

Man I am slow sometimes.
;D
;D

I feel you Marr.. what the hell happened to the rotation... i only remember seeing Robison on a few occasions all season!!... this is complete BS... they need to be doing more rotating to keep guys fresh.. what?? did they just do that when they thought we had inferior DE's last year??... Look at the Giants, they rotate all the time!!...

it seems like as soon as a light bulb goes on for our team and coaches another goes out!!!.. WTF!!!

Marrdro
10-29-2008, 02:09 PM
"bleedpurple" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

"marstc09" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

"marstc09" wrote:

That would do it.

(Key note:

Man I am slow sometimes.
;D
;D

I feel you Marr.. what the hell happened to the rotation... i only remember seeing Robison on a few occasions all season!!... this is complete BS... they need to be doing more rotating to keep guys fresh.. what?? did they just do that when they thought we had inferior DE's last year??... Look at the Giants, they rotate all the time!!...

it seems like as soon as a light bulb goes on for our team and coaches another goes out!!!.. WTF!!!

Golden boy Frazier my friend.
Problem is most on here keep giving him a pass on things of this nature.
Mark my words, we are going to see how good a coach he is "IF" the Williams wall isn't out there.

Of course then people will be giving him a bigger free ride cause he doesn't have them but hey, isn't a coach supposed to "Adjust the scheme to fit the players"...... ;D

C Mac D
10-29-2008, 02:22 PM
"marstc09" wrote:

I agree... I've been calling for him to start since his rookie year.

bleedpurple
10-29-2008, 02:49 PM
They better not give frazier a free ride!!..

anytime you have 3 probowlers on your d-line and don't lead the league in sacks.. something is wrong.... I don't care how bad the pass d is!!... or was...

we have too much talent on defense for teams to even be scoring 10 points.. IMO

V4L
10-29-2008, 03:00 PM
"bleedpurple" wrote:

anytime you have 3 probowlers on your d-line and don't lead the league in sacks.. something is wrong.... I don't care how bad the pass d is!!... or was...

Although I agree Frazier shouldn't get a free pass, I disagree that you think our line is so amazing

The only 2 who get good pressure are Kevin and Jared

Edwards sucks and gets blown up every other snap.. And Pat is a great run stopper and that's his job

We do have a good line.. But only 2 are pure pass rushing specialists

Marrdro
10-29-2008, 03:06 PM
"V4L" wrote:

"bleedpurple" wrote:

Although I agree Frazier shouldn't get a free pass, I disagree that you think our line is so amazing

Edwards sucks and gets blown up every other snap.. And Pat is a great run stopper and that's his job

I hear ya my friend but you have to look at it a bit differently.
Not everybody is on that line to sack the QB.

Typical responsibility goes this way:

a.
RDE - Primary Responsibility (RH QB), rush the passer, Secondary stop the run, Tertiary contain/seal the end.

b.
LDE - Primary Responsibility (RH QB) stop the run, Secondary seal the end/contain, Tertiary rush the QB.

c. DT's - Primary Responsibility stopthe run, Secondary collapse the pocket, Tertiary get to the QB.

Now when you look at our DT's you can almost break that down a bit more based on the gap responsiblities they each have, however, long story short, K-will gets to go after the QB much more than Phat Pat as he often times has a 2 gap responsibility which precludes his ability to just bull rush the QB.

V4L
10-29-2008, 03:08 PM
"Marrdro" wrote:

"V4L" wrote:

"bleedpurple" wrote:

a.
RDE - Primary Responsibility (RH QB), rush the passer, Secondary stop the run, Tertiary contain/seal the end.

b.
LDE - Primary Responsibility (RH QB) stop the run, Secondary seal the end/contain, Tertiary rush the QB.

c. DT's - Primary Responsibility stopthe run, Secondary collapse the pocket, Tertiary get to the QB.

Now when you look at our DT's you can almost break that down a bit more based on the gap responsiblities they each have, however, long story short, K-will gets to go after the QB much more than Phat Pat as he often times has a 2 gap responsibility which precludes his ability to just bull rush the QB.

Yah that's what I was saying with Pat

But with Ray he just doesn't get pressure.. He either over runs the play and gets pushed outside of the pocket or gets pancaked

He isn't playing good ball right now

He needs to work on his speed rush techniques.. He trys to rely on his speed far too much

Marrdro
10-29-2008, 03:13 PM
"V4L" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

"V4L" wrote:

"bleedpurple" wrote:

a.

b.

But with Ray he just doesn't get pressure.. He either over runs the play and gets pushed outside of the pocket or gets pancaked

He needs to work on his speed rush techniques.. He trys to rely on his speed far too much

Been pooohed pooohed away on here but I still contend that you just can't take a RDE and expect him to play LDE.

He has to stand up to a different kind of blocking scheme against bigger people in the run game.
It just wears him down even if he was built for it.

As we say with Keneche a couple of years ago when he tried to play RDE out of necessity, it doesn't work well.
He was to big and slow to get to the QB.
Ray is to light/small to take the base 4-3 defensive pounding a LDE takes.

Long story short, we miss Keneche and when he gets back, Ray will get less reps and will be fine backing up both ends.

On a side note, Leslie should come up with a way to get Ray some reps off on first downs or second downs when they suspect they are gonna run.
Unfortunately I don't think he has the knowledge to call a game to that level so he just keeps on beating Ray do death over there.

V4L
10-29-2008, 03:17 PM
"Marrdro" wrote:

"V4L" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

"V4L" wrote:

"bleedpurple" wrote:

a.

b.

Been pooohed pooohed away on here but I still contend that you just can't take a RDE and expect him to play LDE.

He has to stand up to a different kind of blocking scheme against bigger people in the run game.
It just wears him down even if he was built for it.

As we say with Keneche a couple of years ago when he tried to play RDE out of necessity, it doesn't work well.
He was to big and slow to get to the QB.
Ray is to light/small to take the base 4-3 defensive pounding a LDE takes.

Long story short, we miss Keneche and when he gets back, Ray will get less reps and will be fine backing up both ends.

On a side note, Leslie should come up with a way to get Ray some reps off on first downs or second downs when they suspect they are gonna run.
Unfortunately I don't think he has the knowledge to call a game to that level so he just keeps on beating Ray do death over there.

Yah it's tough to switch ends

But RDE was his original position so I expected more

Expecially since he worked so hard in the offseason as well

bleedpurple
10-29-2008, 03:59 PM
i don't think his weight has anything to do with it!!..

and marr, your primary argument was that he'd get blowed (thx emit) up while trying to stop the run!!.. your argument didn't contend the pass rush!!.. so they are stopping the run just fine.. rushing the passer is a different story and that's where he is struggling!...

Marrdro
10-29-2008, 04:16 PM
"bleedpurple" wrote:

i don't think his weight has anything to do with it!!..

and marr, your primary argument was that he'd get blowed (thx emit) up while trying to stop the run!!.. your argument didn't contend the pass rush!!.. so they are stopping the run just fine.. rushing the passer is a different story and that's where he is struggling!...

My argument was that he wouldn't be able to stand up to the beating on that side.
Seems that he is dinged all the time and when he is on the field, especially late in the game, he isn't a factor, so maybe I wasn't that far off now was I.

I mean comeon, seriously, he showed alot of promise on the right side last year.
What happened this year to make him into a shit player as some of you contend?

Did you lose his talent?

He is playing out of position, nothing more, nothing less.
I say, as we some of us did with Keneche when he played out of position, give him a break.
He is doing it for the team.

MaxVike
10-29-2008, 04:21 PM
Regardless of scheme, weight, LDE, RDE, injuries, strength, speed, high tide, low tide, etc...Ray Edwards' comment had as much credibility as a popcorn fart; we all knew that.
He should have shut his mouth, embraced the opportunity to start on a defensive line with 3 pro-bowlers and let his play do the talking.

His comment had just about as much credibility as Selvin Young's (Denver Broncos RB) "prediction" that he would gain 2,000 yards this season.

Sometimes I hate the "new" NFL.

Purple Floyd
10-29-2008, 07:04 PM
"Marrdro" wrote:

Really?

"Marrdro" wrote:

Or

Williams

Sharper

Leber

EJ

Greenway

Rob

Williams

Williams

JA

Then why did you have our RDE projected to play RDE? ;D

I told you that wouldn't happen ;)

Marrdro
10-30-2008, 06:41 AM
"UffDaVikes" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

Really?

"Marrdro" wrote:

Or

Williams

Sharper

Leber

EJ

Greenway

Rob

Williams

Williams

JA

You've taken that out of context.
I was discussing that if they did have to put a RDE at the LDE spot I thought JA would stand up better than Rob or Ray.

Some notable quotes from that yutz Marrdro

Hope they stay at 5.
I hate it when they add to much weight.

http://www.purplepride.org/forums/index.php?topic=45176.msg782887#msg782887

Hey, anyone remember that yutz Marrdro trying to say how dumb it is to have guys add weight so they can play out of position and how players seem to be a bit more injury prone after adding said weight?

Maybe that yutz was right?

Seriously, I've said it before and I'll say it again, I hate it when players have to add weight at the NFL level to play out of position.
Sure Ray played LDE in college, however, I bet if we looked it was in/around the 260ish range.

Anyone know what he is at right now?
My guess would be in the high 270's to mid 280's.
pooh starts happening when they add that much.

gol 'darnit......

http://www.purplepride.org/forums/index.php?topic=45538.msg808097#msg808097

........Snip.......

Until you and I are on the same page with respect to what a DE does in a 3-4 and a 4-3 then we will continue to have this slight disagreement.

By the way, I would rather see him stay at 250-260 (RDE) because I hate it when they add way to much weight when they come up.
Over time it will wear on thier knees which will either keep him off the field when needed due to injury or reduce his career life span or (probably) both.

Anyway, my ranges I keep giving for a RDE starts at 260ish and a LDE starts at 280ish.
Still doesn't add up to 7 lbs.

http://www.purplepride.org/forums/index.php?topic=43469.msg746436#msg746436

One more time for possible penetration my friend.
There is a difference between what a RDE and a LDE do in our scheme.
The are different in makeup and skill set.
You just can't take a RDE and plug him in at LDE or a LDE and plug him in at RDE and expect them to get production in our BASE 4-3 defensive scheme.
You can however, rotate a RDE to that side in obvious passing situations (3 wides) and expect him to get to the QB.

My point has always been that, nothing more, nothing less.
Some posts (not taken out of context) that alude to that my friend.......(You still crack me up)
;D

http://www.purplepride.org/forums/index.php?topic=42848.msg735717#msg735717

http://www.purplepride.org/forums/index.php?topic=44003.msg759040#msg759040

Purple Floyd
10-30-2008, 07:01 AM
"Marrdro" wrote:

"UffDaVikes" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

Really?

"Marrdro" wrote:

Or

Williams

Sharper

Leber

EJ

Greenway

Rob

Williams

Williams

JA

I was discussing that if they did have to put a RDE at the LDE spot I thought JA would stand up better than Rob or Ray.

Hope they stay at 5.

Hey, anyone remember that yutz Marrdro trying to say how dumb it is to have guys add weight so they can play out of position and how players seem to be a bit more injury prone after adding said weight?

Seriously, I've said it before and I'll say it again, I hate it when players have to add weight at the NFL level to play out of position.
Sure Ray played LDE in college, however, I bet if we looked it was in/around the 260ish range.

gol 'darnit......

........Snip.......

Until you and I are on the same page with respect to what a DE does in a 3-4 and a 4-3 then we will continue to have this slight disagreement.

By the way, I would rather see him stay at 250-260 (RDE) because I hate it when they add way to much weight when they come up.
Over time it will wear on thier knees which will either keep him off the field when needed due to injury or reduce his career life span or (probably) both.

Anyway, my ranges I keep giving for a RDE starts at 260ish and a LDE starts at 280ish.

You just can't take a RDE and plug him in at LDE or a LDE and plug him in at RDE and expect them to get production in our BASE 4-3 defensive scheme.
You can however, rotate a RDE to that side in obvious passing situations (3 wides) and expect him to get to the QB.

Some posts (not taken out of context) that alude to that my friend.......(You still crack me up)
;D

Nope, not good enough of a rebuttal. Go back through the JA thread if you have forgotten which side of the fence you were on at the time (Almost 300 pages) and you will find that you clearly called for JA to be THE LDE, Not just there on a situational basis and we had some banter about it as my feeling was they weren't going to pay a guy that much money and then switch sides. Of course if you want to debate it more I can go back and dig deeper to find more posts where you say the same thing ;) I'll pull them if you want.

I understand the skill set difference, which is why I found it hard to believe you were advocating the change with Allen.

Marrdro
10-30-2008, 07:29 AM
"UffDaVikes" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

"UffDaVikes" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

Really?

"Marrdro" wrote:

Or

Williams

Sharper

Leber

EJ

Greenway

Rob

Williams

Williams

JA

Hope they stay at 5.

gol 'darnit......

........Snip.......

;D

Nope, not good enough of a rebuttal. Go back through the JA thread if you have forgotten which side of the fence you were on at the time (Almost 300 pages) and you will find that you clearly called for JA to be THE LDE, Not just there on a situational basis and we had some banter about it as my feeling was they weren't going to pay a guy that much money and then switch sides. Of course if you want to debate it more I can go back and dig deeper to find more posts where you say the same thing ;) I'll pull them if you want.

I understand the skill set difference, which is why I found it hard to believe you were advocating the change with Allen.

Again, you are correct, that was my stance, however, it was after we lost Keneche and the staff didn't have any better option at LDE.

I thought, and still do, that JA would stand up better at LDE than Ray but would rather have seen them bring in a guy like ODOM or someone like that to shore up our LDE position instead of just plugging a RDE in there.

In case you missed it, here was a good thread (47 pages with some tangents but some good discussions on this very same subject.)

http://www.purplepride.org/forums/index.php?topic=42971.0

SamOchoCinco
10-30-2008, 07:54 AM
haha this guy still has a long ways to go

Braddock
10-30-2008, 08:23 AM
Boy he looks foolish now. However, so does our entire team ...
:'(

vikings4life33
10-31-2008, 11:49 AM
"Braddock" wrote:

Boy he looks foolish now. However, so does our entire team ...
:'(

yeah, but how would the team of known pusidess can spread. how do we lose so many players to toe and foot injuries. so much for a "mans" sport

ultravikingfan
11-02-2008, 12:14 PM
1 down, many to go.

erik5032
11-02-2008, 12:22 PM
actually i think he has 1.5 on the season now.

singersp
11-03-2008, 10:26 AM
"erik5032" wrote:

He does have 1.5 sacks. (110th)

K-Will & JA are tied for 8th with 7

Joey Porter is in 1st with 11.5

Marrdro
11-03-2008, 11:11 AM
"singersp" wrote:

"erik5032" wrote:

Sacks are not the measure of a man.......... ::)

Ray can play like he did yesterday and I will be ecstatic.
Dude was everywere.
His ability to get up in the air and bat that one down alleviated what was sure to be a big gain early in the game.

BleedinPandG
11-03-2008, 11:15 AM
"Marrdro" wrote:

"singersp" wrote:

"erik5032" wrote:

Dude was everywere.
His ability to get up in the air and bat that one down alleviated what was sure to be a big gain early in the game.

My problem is, that was 9 weeks into the season and it was basically the first time Ray even showed up for a game.
The previous 7 games I couldn't even tell you if he dressed or not.
He's getting 1 on 1 coverage all day long on that side and you aren't even seeing QB hurries out of him, he's been flat out stonewalled over there.
Hopefully Udeze provides a nice increase in productivity next year.
Has anyone seen anything on his recovery?

Marrdro
11-03-2008, 11:18 AM
"BleedinPandG" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

"singersp" wrote:

"erik5032" wrote:

Dude was everywere.

My problem is, that was 9 weeks into the season and it was basically the first time Ray even showed up for a game.
He's getting 1 on 1 coverage all day long on that side and you aren't even seeing QB hurries out of him, he's been flat out stonewalled over there.

I hear ya, however, as I've pointed out repeatedly......

I know it is pooooooh poooooohed away on here by almost all of you but like it or not their are actually differences in who can play at that position.

He is a RDE trying to play LDE.
Because of that (and a shitty ass rotation by our D-coord) he has been beat up a bit.

Seems he is a bit healthier now and there was a nice rotation which kept him fresh yesterday.
Those two things will help him out as the year goes on, however, I still don't envision him being a sack monster over there for the same reason I didn't hack on Keneche when he played out of position a couple years ago and wasn't a sack monster either.

singersp
11-03-2008, 11:28 AM
"Marrdro" wrote:

"singersp" wrote:

"erik5032" wrote:

Dude was everywere.

Don't roll your eyes at me Marr.

You of all people should know that I do not measure a defensive lineman by the number of sacks he gets.

Do I need to dredge up the Udeze threads again or does the mere mention of it make the bell go "ding"?

Since this thread is about the sack title & Edwards quest for it. I merely listed where he was at in that quest the grand scheme of things.

bleedpurple
11-03-2008, 11:29 AM
"Marrdro" wrote:

"BleedinPandG" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

"singersp" wrote:

"erik5032" wrote:

Dude was everywere.

I know it is pooooooh poooooohed away on here by almost all of you but like it or not their are actually differences in who can play at that position.

Because of that (and a poohie jiggly butt rotation by our D-coord) he has been beat up a bit.

Seems he is a bit healthier now and there was a nice rotation which kept him fresh yesterday.
Those two things will help him out as the year goes on, however, I still don't envision him being a sack monster over there for the same reason I didn't hack on Keneche when he played out of position a couple years ago and wasn't a sack monster either.

IMO, i don't agree it's his size... I think it had more to do with him not being in camp and being a little banged up earlier in the year... In addition to the lack of a rotation on the D-Line...

Marr, you keep ignoring the point that you made which was that he would get beat up against the run on that side... which is not happening.. you never said that his size had anything to do with the pass rush.. you were concerned about the run...

Now, we're still holding par at around 70 yds per game which is about where we've always been... pass rush is better... So i don't agree and still think your analysis of him on that side with regards to size is wrong... I think you'd have a better argument saying he moved from left to right so his technique had to be relearned and it's different coming from either side... that would make more sense than arguing about his size trying to pass rush...

besides, he's never been considered a pure pass rusher anyway.... arguably, that's not even his job...

vikings4life33
11-03-2008, 12:02 PM
"BleedinPandG" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

"singersp" wrote:

"erik5032" wrote:

Dude was everywere.

hes got to start somewhere.

Marrdro
11-03-2008, 12:05 PM
"bleedpurple" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

"BleedinPandG" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

"singersp" wrote:

Dude was everywere.

Because of that (and a poohie jiggly butt rotation by our D-coord) he has been beat up a bit.

IMO, i don't agree it's his size... I think it had more to do with him not being in camp and being a little banged up earlier in the year... In addition to the lack of a rotation on the D-Line...

Marr, you keep ignoring the point that you made which was that he would get beat up against the run on that side... which is not happening.. you never said that his size had anything to do with the pass rush.. you were concerned about the run...

Now, we're still holding par at around 70 yds per game which is about where we've always been... pass rush is better... So i don't agree and still think your analysis of him on that side with regards to size is wrong... I think you'd have a better argument saying he moved from left to right so his technique had to be relearned and it's different coming from either side... that would make more sense than arguing about his size trying to pass rush...

besides, he's never been considered a pure pass rusher anyway.... arguably, that's not even his job...

Problem is my friend he has been beat up playing the run.
Lets not forget why he missed time early.
It wasn't because he was holding out or anything.
Truth be told, he has been dinged most of the year which has negated is overall effectiveness.

Again, I am not holding anything against him.
I think he is doing an admirable job playing out of position, just as Keneche did 2 years ago.

As to your point about being a pure pass rusher, I agree, however, he did have some success on the Right side and will be productive again (with respect to sacks) when he moves back to that side as a backup/rotation guy when Keneche comes back.

By the way, watch our yards per game go down when that cat is healthy and on the field again.
;D

bleedpurple
11-03-2008, 01:57 PM
"Marrdro" wrote:

"bleedpurple" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

"BleedinPandG" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

Dude was everywere.

Problem is my friend he has been beat up playing the run.
Lets not forget why he missed time early.
It wasn't because he was holding out or anything.
Truth be told, he has been dinged most of the year which has negated is overall effectiveness.

Again, I am not holding anything against him.
I think he is doing an admirable job playing out of position, just as Keneche did 2 years ago.

As to your point about being a pure pass rusher, I agree, however, he did have some success on the Right side and will be productive again (with respect to sacks) when he moves back to that side as a backup/rotation guy when Keneche comes back.

By the way, watch our yards per game go down when that cat is healthy and on the field again.
;D

it probably will... but i'm not sure i buy the out of position thing... look at the giants... they use Tuck on the outside and inside... along with Kiwanuka they switched him from LB to DE when Osi got hurt.... and let's not forget how light in the pants strahan was on that side...

i think it is more about his transition to that side versus how much he weighs... if we keep him fresh he will be even more productive... and he was out because of a back injury... its football i highly doubt that had anything to do with being on one side versus the other...

there are only 5 guys on the LOS, and maybe a TE or two... if they double JA and one of the Williams' that leaves Ray in 1 on 1's for the entire if not the majority of the game.. putting him against a smaller and less talented RT versus the better blocker on the left side....

but hey we can agree to disagree on this point!!...
;D