PDA

View Full Version : Vikings: Don’t Believe The 'Sota Hype

singersp
05-17-2008, 08:14 AM
Don’t Believe The 'Sota Hype (http://www.realgmfootball.com/src_teamarticle/362/20080516/dont_believe_the_sota_hype/)

Will Flanagan
realgmfootball.com

16th May, 2008 - 11:58 pm

There are three benchmarks that must be met for a team to be considered overhyped....

MaxVike
05-17-2008, 08:47 AM
Clearly, Will Flanagan is a hack.
The premise of the article is that the Vikes are overhyped...where?
The Vikes are picked to finish second in the NFC North by most sources I have found.
Also, comparing the '08 Vikes to the '06 49ers and the '07 Cardinals is lame.

From the, gee, PP.O is my source for this article, department:

If Jackson doesn’t get his head on straight, this Vikings team won’t be going as far as everyone predicts.
Duh, thanks for the insight Will...
Also, who's "everyone?"
???

The Vikes have 7 Pro-Bowlers on the roster, led the NFL in rushing and rush defense, as well as points scored by the defense last year...get over yourself Wilbur
>:( and go back to school for your degree.

snowinapril
05-17-2008, 09:17 AM
That was very matter of fact at the end.
I don't necessarily believe it but the writer does, "TJ sucks."

The article was put together on a consistent argument:

Hyped team bad QB performance.
Another hyped team bad QB performance.
New hyped team that improved because Farve is out of the NFL, but will have a bad QB performance.

I am going to give TJ a break on this one until he actually plays a few games this year.

snowinapril
05-17-2008, 09:19 AM
"MaxVike" wrote:

The Vikes are picked to finish second in the NFC North by most sources I have found.

If Jackson doesn’t get his head on straight, this Vikings team won’t be going as far as everyone predicts.
Also, who's "everyone?"
???

The Vikes have 7 Pro-Bowlers on the roster, led the NFL in rushing and rush defense, as well as points scored by the defense last year...get over yourself Wilbur

LOL, Will is clearly a Packer Fan.......

dcboardr41
05-17-2008, 11:29 AM
he wrote about 6 or 7 paragraphs hyping the article up, just to, in the end hate on TJack, why couldnt he have done that in the opening paragraph?

singersp
05-17-2008, 11:32 AM
"dcboardr41" wrote:

he wrote about 6 or 7 paragraphs hyping the article up, just to, in the end hate on TJack, why couldnt he have done that in the opening paragraph?

To get you to read the entire article of course.

sufuvike93
05-17-2008, 12:21 PM
What about the Carolina Panthers? They aren't overhyped?!
::) ???

gregair13
05-17-2008, 12:38 PM
i like to hype up things

mountainviking
05-17-2008, 12:48 PM
Interesting premise...shitty conclusion that doesn't quite fit.
CAR seems a better fit there to me too...I guess he just wanted to call out the QB.
We were 8-8 with a nice 5 game win streak including the schoooling of 2 eventual championship contenders!!!
ARI was 5-11 before his "hype" and SF was 7-9 with some lucky wins and a bunch of blowouts where they did nothing.
Hell one of those wins was against us with a final score of 3-9...remember that pitiful affair?

What nobody seems to realize, is that If TJack is hurt or not cutting the mustard by mid season, GUS will know the system and be ready to provide the steady veteran pressence with limited mistakes that we need to succeed!!!!!!!!
I just hope we don't need him early!
I think TJack is going to be all right this year...but, injuries could always sink this ship in a hurry.

Here's Cheers to a healthy year!!!!!!!!!!!!

Overlord
05-17-2008, 12:54 PM
I don't really have a problem with the argument the author makes that the Vikings won't be great because they won't get good QB play.
He could be right or wrong at the end of the day, but it makes sense that if your QB is bad it will be hard to win a bunch of games and compete for a Super Bowl.
Not impossible (congrats, Eli), but hard.

But the argument that one team is overrated every year is kind of silly.
The truth is that teams move around so much from year-to-year (the average move is 3 or more wins in one direction or the other) that about half the teams are overrated.
Check out the past couple preseason power rankings from ESPN.com (2007 (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/powerranking?week=0&season=2007), 2006 (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/powerranking?week=0&season=2006)) for an example.
In each case, 3 of the top 6 teams didn't make the playoffs.
Who knows what will happen next year, but I'd be willing to bet that the final 2008 standings look a lot more like the 2009 preseason power rankings than the 2008 version.

So just as the author can pick out teams that meet his test for having a good offseason that have failed to live up to the hype, you could also find teams (e.g., 2006 Cowboys) that do live up to the hype.
It's a simple matter of there being so many teams going each direction that you can find what you want.
In the end, the hype has nothing to do with how well each team will actually end up playing.

skol_vikes!
05-17-2008, 12:58 PM
"sufuvike93" wrote:

What about the Carolina Panthers? They aren't overhyped?!
::) ???

ESPN has them at 18 on the power rankings.

purplepat
05-17-2008, 01:19 PM
"MaxVike" wrote:

Also, who's "everyone?"
???

Actually, I'd say I've seen more pundits than not say that the Jared Allen acquisition clearly makes the Vikings the lead dog in the NFC North race.

The comparison to the '07 49ers may be somewhat fair.
Didn't the 06 Niners finish 8-8 or 7-9, a big improvement from 05?
Alex Smith clearly took a big step backwards last year, though Frank Gore (while good) is no Adrian Peterson.

The crux of the article is still valid. The Vikings are being heavily hyped right now, and it would seem the only thing potentially standing in the way of their success is whether Jackson will be decent or horrid.
The author merely is cautioning that you can't believe all the hype you read...you have to see how the team actually plays on the field when the games count.

BBQ Platypus
05-18-2008, 05:37 PM
I'm not mad at the guy for doubting us - his skepticism is well-founded.
We haven't even played a down yet, and TJack still has a lot to prove (though I think he's capable of proving it).

That being said, his writing style is pretty shoddy, as is much of his analysis.
He seems to insinuate that teams like the Vikings are invariably overhyped.
This isn't always the case - some such teams remain relatively ignored, while others actually live up to their lofty preseason expectations.

Again, the basic message of "Don't believe the hype" is indeed a valid one.
However, Mr. Flanagan did a poor job of conveying that message in an intelligent, non-annoying manner.

PurpleCanuck
05-18-2008, 06:36 PM
Ok everyone says that TJ won't be able to do the job.
When he is fully healthy he can be more then servicable.
Can anyone remember such quarterbacks as Brad Johnson or Trent Dilfer, or Train Rex Grossman?
They all led good teams.
TJ led a nice comeback last year when we had completely abandoned the run....
He has a winning record as a starter does he not?

marstc09
05-18-2008, 06:43 PM
If Jackson doesn’t get his head on straight, this Vikings' team won’t be going as far as everyone predicts.

Ok but we will still be better than 8-8, which most likely will get us into the playoffs and isn't that all we really need? The playoffs is a whole different animal and anything can happen. Raise your hand if you thought the Giants would win the Super Bowl when they made the playoffs.

MaxVike
05-18-2008, 08:07 PM
"purplepat" wrote:

"MaxVike" wrote:

Also, who's "everyone?"
???

Actually, I'd say I've seen more pundits than not say that the Jared Allen acquisition clearly makes the Vikings the lead dog in the NFC North race.

The comparison to the '07 49ers may be somewhat fair.
Didn't the 06 Niners finish 8-8 or 7-9, a big improvement from 05?
Alex Smith clearly took a big step backwards last year, though Frank Gore (while good) is no Adrian Peterson.

The crux of the article is still valid. The Vikings are being heavily hyped right now, and it would seem the only thing potentially standing in the way of their success is whether Jackson will be decent or horrid.
The author merely is cautioning that you can't believe all the hype you read...you have to see how the team actually plays on the field when the games count.

OK, I will give you that...especially with the use of the word, pundit, which, most of us are
;D when it comes to the Vikes.
I guess my point is more zeroed in on the fact that we have 7 Pro-Bowlers, several of which are the best at their position...I don't think a similar argument can be made for the author's comparison's; in fact, not sure if there is another non-playoff team with our pedigree.
Bottom line...we have the players, QB must execute in order for us to succeed.
We have all been saying that................for months.

singersp
05-18-2008, 08:21 PM
"marstc09" wrote:

If Jackson doesn’t get his head on straight, this Vikings' team won’t be going as far as everyone predicts.

Ok but we will still be better than 8-8, which most likely will get us into the playoffs and isn't that all we really need? The playoffs is a whole different animal and anything can happen. Raise your hand if you thought the Giants would win the Super Bowl when they made the playoffs.

I think we would have made it there last year & probably lost in the first round, had not T-Jack got injured.

We were 8-4 with him in there & 0-4 when he wasn't.

NodakPaul
05-18-2008, 08:56 PM
I really can't argue with the article.

The Vikings perfectly meet the criteria for the overhyped team. First, they were a non-playoff team, just barely missing out on a playoff berth in 2007. Second, they brought in the likes of Bernard Berrian and Madieu Williams through free agency. Third, they had a very good draft after several picks yielded them a superstar in Jared Allen.

All true.

It’s hard to argue with the potential success of the Vikings this upcoming season. Allen easily makes this the best defensive line in football. Berrian is a much better option at wide receiver than Troy Williamson ever was. Williams is a vast improvement at safety over the troubled Dwight Smith. The team still has Adrian Peterson and an offensive line that remains intact from last season. Above all else, Brett Favre is out of the NFC North.

Unfortunately, the Vikings still have one player who will ultimately doom the success of the team: quarterback Tarvaris Jackson.

I would change that italicized word to may, and then I would have no arguments with him.
It is silly to be confident at this point in the season that any player will doom at team.
But of the players that we have on our team, I would say that TJack has the highest chance of doing so.

I disagree with his conclusion - that TJack will fail, and with him the Minnesota Vikings.
But I absolutely agree with his last sentence.

Fortunately, the converse is also true.
If Jackson does get his head on straight, the Vikings will be going very, very far.

kevoncox
05-18-2008, 08:58 PM
"singersp" wrote:

"marstc09" wrote:

I think we would have made it there last year & probably lost in the first round, had not T-Jack got injured.

We were 8-4 with him in there & 0-4 when he wasn't.

We proballyw still would have lost those 4 games he was out. He's not Manning.

Purple Floyd
05-18-2008, 09:42 PM
"NodakPaul" wrote:

I really can't argue with the article.

The Vikings perfectly meet the criteria for the overhyped team. First, they were a non-playoff team, just barely missing out on a playoff berth in 2007. Second, they brought in the likes of Bernard Berrian and Madieu Williams through free agency. Third, they had a very good draft after several picks yielded them a superstar in Jared Allen.

All true.

It’s hard to argue with the potential success of the Vikings this upcoming season. Allen easily makes this the best defensive line in football. Berrian is a much better option at wide receiver than Troy Williamson ever was. Williams is a vast improvement at safety over the troubled Dwight Smith. The team still has Adrian Peterson and an offensive line that remains intact from last season. Above all else, Brett Favre is out of the NFC North.

Unfortunately, the Vikings still have one player who will ultimately doom the success of the team: quarterback Tarvaris Jackson.

I would change that italicized word to may, and then I would have no arguments with him.
It is silly to be confident at this point in the season that any player will doom at team.
But of the players that we have on our team, I would say that TJack has the highest chance of doing so.

I disagree with his conclusion - that TJack will fail, and with him the Minnesota Vikings.
But I absolutely agree with his last sentence.

Fortunately, the converse is also true.
If Jackson does get his head on straight, the Vikings will be going very, very far.

agreed.

Marrdro
05-19-2008, 06:51 AM
The frenzy and excitement of free agency has been over for two months.

He lost me there.
All credibility out the window.

My take.....

a.
TJ needs to play better and stay healthy.
b.
Whoever replaces (if he is suspended) Big Mac must hold his own.
c.
Phat Pat and Kwill need to collapse the pocket up the middle so the QB doesn't just step up basically negating JA's pass rush.
d.
AD and CT needs to stay healthy.
e.
Rice needs to continue to develop above the norm.
f.
Our backups need to step up if any of these come to fruition.

etc etc etc

The QB isn't the only thing that can derail the train my friends.

Purple Floyd
05-19-2008, 06:54 AM
"Marrdro" wrote:

He lost me there.

My take.....

a.
b.
c.
Phat Pat and Kwill need to collapse the pocket up the middle so the QB doesn't just step up basically negating JA's pass rush.
d.
e.
f.

etc etc etc

Yep. well put

Marrdro
05-19-2008, 06:56 AM
"UffDaVikes" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

He lost me there.

My take.....

a.
b.
c.
d.
e.
f.

etc etc etc

Yep. well put

All right, I just agreed with you in another thread.
People are gonna start talking.
;D

Purple Floyd
05-19-2008, 07:01 AM
"Marrdro" wrote:

"UffDaVikes" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

He lost me there.

My take.....

a.
b.
c.
d.
e.
f.

etc etc etc

Yep. well put

All right, I just agreed with you in another thread.
People are gonna start talking.
;D

Monday ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

PurpleTide
05-19-2008, 07:10 AM
When all the work that Tarvaris has put in this last couple years start to pay off, you'll see his head is screwed on tight. T-Jack will have better mechanics, better decision making, and a passer rating above 75 this season. Also we will see some 100 yard reception games from Rice, Wade, and Berrian, along with our already potent running attack, and you'd better believe in the "Sota" hype.

marstc09
05-19-2008, 11:52 AM
"Marrdro" wrote:

He lost me there.

My take.....

a.
b.
c.
d.
e.
f.

etc etc etc

Very true but he is the guy that can make the biggest difference on the success of this team. Those other points are minor. Well except for AD getting hurt but Taylor is capable of stepping in.

NodakPaul
05-19-2008, 11:55 AM
"marstc09" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

He lost me there.

My take.....

a.
b.
c.
d.
e.
f.

etc etc etc

Very true but he is the guy that can make the biggest difference on the success of this team. Those other points are minor. Well except for AD getting hurt but Taylor is capable of stepping in.

I have to go with marstc09 on this one.
TJack is the biggest risk factor on our team.
Are there others?
Of course.
But none are as big of a factor as TJack.

Jimmymeboy
05-19-2008, 04:49 PM
"PurpleTide" wrote:

When all the work that Tarvaris has put in this last couple years start to pay off, you'll see his head is screwed on tight. T-Jack will have better mechanics, better decision making, and a passer rating above 75 this season. Also we will see some 100 yard reception games from Rice, Wade, and Berrian, along with our already potent running attack, and you'd better believe in the "Sota" hype.

Right on, PurpleTide! ;D
I like the enthusiasm I'm hearing in your post.
If TJack can also get his completion rate to hover around 70% then we will be unstoppable! I'm gonna be a "Sota-hype" believer.
I don't feel the author/hack really thought things out too much in the comparison department.
Although I agree with his first two "over hypes", the Cards had a huge difference from the Vikings in that they had NO O-line for Edge and the organization as a whole stinks.
The 49er's had injuries and the loss of Turner contributed to the back steps that Smith took.

gagarr
05-19-2008, 06:18 PM
"NodakPaul" wrote:

"marstc09" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

He lost me there.

My take.....

a.
b.
c.
d.
e.
f.

etc etc etc

Are there others?
Of course.

I'm with marstc09 too....
QB is by far the most important position on the field.
TJ still hasn't proven himself, if he does modest improvements then all is good.
But if he has poor showings in GB and Indy games... then there will be doubt.
Granted they are tough games, but there are always tough games and the best always get up for the big games.

TJ may throw for 7 TD's, 0 INT's, and 800yards against the Cards, but if he has a 55 QB rating against Indy, I will think he's a problem.
The Vikes need to win the BIG games and TJ has yet do win even one.
Don't mention the Chargers game, as that was all AD.

Caine
05-19-2008, 06:33 PM
"gagarr" wrote:

"NodakPaul" wrote:

"marstc09" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

He lost me there.

My take.....

a.
b.
c.
d.
e.
f.

etc etc etc

Are there others?
Of course.

TJ still hasn't proven himself, if he does modest improvements then all is good.
Granted they are tough games, but there are always tough games and the best always get up for the big games.

TJ may throw for 7 TD's, 0 INT's, and 800yards against the Cards, but if he has a 55 QB rating against Indy, I will think he's a problem.

When you consider the fact that the play-offs are the biggest games of all, leading to the biggest of the biggest, it stands to reason that TJ has to perform in the big regular season games to show he's ready to step into the post season.

No, I'm not putting the cart before the horse, I'm just saying that it doesn't help us to have the rest of the team carry our QB through the regular season.
Ask Chicago what that's like.

Jackson has to be ready to go immediately.
The time for "learning curve" and "growing pains" is past.
He's had that period...all last season.
And while I don't expect perfection, I expect a much improved QB performance this season.

Forget Booty, we won't see him this season.
This is HIS time to grow and learn.
But if Tarvaris stumbles and bumbles this season, expect to have a QB "controversy" next season.

Caine

singersp
05-19-2008, 06:34 PM
"gagarr" wrote:

"NodakPaul" wrote:

"marstc09" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

He lost me there.

My take.....

a.
b.
c.
d.
e.
f.

etc etc etc

Are there others?
Of course.

T-Jack was injured in the 2nd qtr of that game. That was Bollinger in there for most of it.

He played well in both the Giants & Broncos games I thought. Had T-Will not dropped those two ball in the Denver game, we'd have come out of it in the win column.

NodakPaul
05-19-2008, 06:52 PM
"singersp" wrote:

"gagarr" wrote:

"NodakPaul" wrote:

"marstc09" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

He lost me there.

My take.....

a.
b.
c.
d.
e.
f.

etc etc etc

Are there others?
Of course.

T-Jack was injured in the 2nd qtr of that game. That was Bollinger in there for most of it.

He played well in both the Giants & Broncos games I thought. Had T-Will not dropped those two ball in the Denver game, we'd have come out of it in the win column.

Correct, he had some good games.
Especially the Broncos game.
However, he had some miserable games, including Chicago II and Washington.
I want a QB who will be consistent, not Rex Grossman-like.

gagarr
05-20-2008, 01:15 AM
"singersp" wrote:

"gagarr" wrote:

"NodakPaul" wrote:

"marstc09" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

He lost me there.

My take.....

a.
b.
c.
d.
e.
f.

etc etc etc

Are there others?
Of course.

Thanks singer... your right TJ can't be given that win.
TJ did play well in the Giants game although he had a minor role in the win... He only threw the ball 12 times... CT ran it 31 times... Eli contributed 4 INT's.
All TJ had to do was not drop before giving it to CT.

TJ might be good enough not to do no harm, but besides a few shiny moments he's not done that much good, except hand the ball off.

digital420
05-20-2008, 03:21 AM
as far as the Sota hype.. well..
when u sign people like Jared, or wr's like BB.. solidify your O and D from FA and draftee's... it's hard not to enjoy some hype.. esp when you boast the best rb combo, 7 returning pro-bowlers, and 1 pro bowler addition.

it's a team that's reaching that pinacle in the (building) phase. and is ready to jump in the mix.

now u can say we have weaknesses.. well OFC!! but those weaknesses seem to be building into solid performing spots, and as we are not relying to have a Brady or PMan winning or loosing the game. we have a very solid TEAM that will do whatever it needs to win games.

DiGiTaL