PDA

View Full Version : Peterson wants to make MVP run



NodakPaul
05-15-2008, 05:00 PM
http://ww3.startribune.com/vikingsblog/?p=1589

[quote]...

Peterson figures to be more of a threat this season for a few reasons. One, the presence of free-agent receiver Bernard Berrian should help stretch the field and make it more difficult for teams to consistently put eight-men against the run. Two, Peterson has spent much of his offseason working with running backs coach Eric Bieniemy on his pass-blocking. That means Peterson should be able to stay on the field more often in third-down situations. Three, Peterson figures he can be used more as a receiving threat. He caught 19 passes in 2007 and had a 60-yard touchdown.

Peterson said he is “looking forward” to being on the field more often at the same time as veteran running back Chester Taylor and is confident the Vikings will devise ways to get him the ball via the air more frequently.[

.../quote]

Good article, I like the fact that he spent a lot of the offseason working on his pass blocking!

aaeyers
05-15-2008, 05:07 PM
If the Vikings make the playoffs, I could very easily see Peterson being MVP. He definitely has the heart, the skill, and the supporting cast to make it happen.

Vikes_King
05-15-2008, 05:07 PM
Peterson said he is “looking forward” to being on the field more often at the same time as veteran running back Chester Taylor

:) :) :) we were all crying all last season that we wanted to see more combinations with both of them on the field, glad he feels the same way!

Mr-holland
05-15-2008, 05:13 PM
aside to peterson i'm looking forward to the trick-plays that Childress has installed.
They are great when they work, really gets everybody excited... But sure they can fail and possibly be disastrous but i got Faith Chiller comes up with new ones

NodakPaul
05-15-2008, 05:13 PM
"Vikes_King" wrote:



Peterson said he is “looking forward” to being on the field more often at the same time as veteran running back Chester Taylor

:) :) :) we were all crying all last season that we wanted to see more combinations with both of them on the field, glad he feels the same way!


I think Childress wanted to get him out there together more too.
But AD was so God awful at pass blocking that we just couldn't.
That is why I am glad he spent the offseason working on it.

ThorSPL
05-15-2008, 05:20 PM
I think Richardson leaving had something to do with how us having two backs in the backfield was not going to include a fullback as much... I totally see two HB's in the backfield happening for us next year.

marstc09
05-15-2008, 06:52 PM
"Vikes_King" wrote:



Peterson said he is “looking forward” to being on the field more often at the same time as veteran running back Chester Taylor

:) :) :) we were all crying all last season that we wanted to see more combinations with both of them on the field, glad he feels the same way!


I like it because it will keep defenses guessing.

SKOL
05-15-2008, 06:57 PM
"marstc09" wrote:


"Vikes_King" wrote:



Peterson said he is “looking forward” to being on the field more often at the same time as veteran running back Chester Taylor

:) :) :) we were all crying all last season that we wanted to see more combinations with both of them on the field, glad he feels the same way!


I like it because it will keep defenses guessing.


Exactly - eight men in the box may not be so automatic if we can pass occasionally when AD is in the backfield.
He'll be a better blocker and pass catcher.

triedandtruevikesfan
05-15-2008, 07:06 PM
I think its very possible that he gets MVP this year.
If we have any semi-decent passing game this year (no I'm not saying anything about our QB situation) then it will open up the run game big time.


AD finished with some amazing numbers last year and he even missed some games, at the end all teams did was stack the box, and it was pretty effective in stopping our run game, but they won't be able to do that when we have a passing threat as well.
I'm very optimistic for the upcoming season, and I'm totally excited to watch AD break more records!!

cajunvike
05-15-2008, 07:36 PM
Run, Petey, Run!!!

VikingsTw
05-15-2008, 08:04 PM
IMO there is no doubt that it can be done, break the rushing record too. First he has too shore up his pass blocking, routes and catching footballs out of backfield on a consistent bases. When he becomes a complete back it will be very difficult to take him off the field.

Because he's that good I don't mind heavy running, the new WR's moving the DB's out of box will be huge for the pressure the oline faces and the guys that need to be blocked before our guy is in the second level. Screens will start to come along, and explosive catches out of back field. Depending on how good he gets and how healthy he stays the records are definitly in reach.

The season should be fun and even more opportunities for Peterson with the ball in his hands. Considering the defense shines on 3rd down.

singersp
05-16-2008, 06:45 AM
Two grand? Peterson sets sights on elite (http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/18994284.html)

A confident Adrian Peterson sees no reason why he can't break the 2,000-yard barrier or even win the MVP this year.

By JUDD ZULGAD, Star Tribune

Last update: May 16, 2008 - 5:28 AM


BRAINERD, MINN. - The Vikings don't report to training camp for another two months, but it's clear Adrian Peterson has put plenty of thought into what he can do for an encore in his second NFL season....

El Vikingo
05-16-2008, 06:51 AM
http://www.startribune.com/photos/?c=y&img=vike0516.cover.jpg

Groucho Marx was a Casanova and had several non-recognised sons

mark
05-16-2008, 07:21 PM
He really needs to keep his goals to himself.It makes other teams want to stop him even more and makes him look selfish.I think hes just young but he shouldnt make this stuff public.I love him and have a fish named Adrian so im not hating.

singersp
05-16-2008, 07:24 PM
"mark" wrote:


He really needs to keep his goals to himself.It makes other teams want to stop him even more and makes him look selfish.I think hes just young but he shouldnt make this stuff public.I love him and have a fish named Adrian so im not hating.


I have a fish called Wanda.

mark
05-16-2008, 07:27 PM
"singersp" wrote:


"mark" wrote:


He really needs to keep his goals to himself.It makes other teams want to stop him even more and makes him look selfish.I think hes just young but he shouldnt make this stuff public.I love him and have a fish named Adrian so im not hating.


I have a fish called Wanda.


sweet.my purple tang is named adrian because he swims mad.3 of my 5 fish are purple and gold.

marstc09
05-16-2008, 07:28 PM
I don't think he will get 2000 yards. He really should be setting goals like winning the division, conference, or even the Super Bowl. I would respect that more.

ItalianStallion
05-16-2008, 07:31 PM
"mark" wrote:


He really needs to keep his goals to himself.It makes other teams want to stop him even more and makes him look selfish.I think hes just young but he shouldnt make this stuff public.I love him and have a fish named Adrian so im not hating.


Look he's not calling anybody out, so I don't see how that motivates anyone any more than normal to stop him.
People will be gunning to stop him all year because of what he did last year and because they'll make Tarvaris win games with his arm.
I don't see how setting goals makes him or anybody else selfish.

PurplePride80
05-16-2008, 07:32 PM
"mark" wrote:


I love him and have a fish named Adrian so im not hating.


lmao, most random thought EVER!

mark
05-16-2008, 07:35 PM
"ItalianStallion" wrote:


"mark" wrote:


He really needs to keep his goals to himself.It makes other teams want to stop him even more and makes him look selfish.I think hes just young but he shouldnt make this stuff public.I love him and have a fish named Adrian so im not hating.


Look he's not calling anybody out, so I don't see how that motivates anyone any more than normal to stop him.
People will be gunning to stop him all year because of what he did last year and because they'll make Tarvaris win games with his arm.
I don't see how setting goals makes him or anybody else selfish.


I know hes not calling anybody out but hes too young to be saying stuff like that.i played baseball and if a second year guy was saying he wanted to hit 400 and win mvp it wouldnt go over well with anybody.its good to have goals but dont say it to the media thats all

singersp
05-16-2008, 07:44 PM
"Vikes_King" wrote:



Peterson said he is “looking forward” to being on the field more often at the same time as veteran running back Chester Taylor

:) :) :) we were all crying all last season that we wanted to see more combinations with both of them on the field, glad he feels the same way!


I remember many people crying because they felt AD wasn't getting enough carries.

gregair13
05-16-2008, 07:47 PM
i will cry when we win the superbowl

gregair13
05-16-2008, 07:48 PM
i do not have a fish

Vikes_King
05-16-2008, 07:48 PM
"gregair13" wrote:


i will cry when we win the superbowl


me too sir... me too...



oh yea, and immediately... celebrate!!
People better hope I don't have work on that coming Monday, because I wont come in
;D ;D

gregair13
05-16-2008, 07:50 PM
i am not even sure if i would rub it in everyone's face. hard to sense

ItalianStallion
05-16-2008, 07:50 PM
"mark" wrote:


"ItalianStallion" wrote:


"mark" wrote:


He really needs to keep his goals to himself.It makes other teams want to stop him even more and makes him look selfish.I think hes just young but he shouldnt make this stuff public.I love him and have a fish named Adrian so im not hating.


Look he's not calling anybody out, so I don't see how that motivates anyone any more than normal to stop him.
People will be gunning to stop him all year because of what he did last year and because they'll make Tarvaris win games with his arm.
I don't see how setting goals makes him or anybody else selfish.


I know hes not calling anybody out but hes too young to be saying stuff like that.i played baseball and if a second year guy was saying he wanted to hit 400 and win mvp it wouldnt go over well with anybody.its good to have goals but dont say it to the media thats all


Who cares if you say it to the media.
His job isn't to become buddies with veterans on the other teams, his job is to run over/past them.
They know it, he knows it, and in case you didn't know that...he told you his goals so now you do.

Vikes_King
05-16-2008, 07:52 PM
"gregair13" wrote:


i am not even sure if i would rub it in everyone's face. hard to sense


oh no i wouldn't need to rub it in anyones face, besides we'd get remarks back like "That makes you what now? 1-4 in the SB?"

Yea. No point.


But i'd be living on a high for a couple days thats for damn sure

singersp
05-16-2008, 07:52 PM
"gregair13" wrote:


i am not even sure if i would rub it in everyone's face. hard to sense


You know you will. You'll be calling every cheesedick you know.
:P

gagarr
05-16-2008, 07:54 PM
AD should know that personal goals are only valid in a non-team game.


If the line doesn't block well....
TJ doesn't throw well...
Recievers don't catch well...
D doesn't get off the field...

It doesn't matter how good he is, Sanders, Dickerson, O.J., Davis, Lewis all needed the rest of the team to do their jobs to accomplish 2000+.

That said, I think he has a good shot given that...
* He missed 2 games, thus he needs to stay healthy
* CT got more carries early and will get less than the 40% he got in 2007... more like 70 - 30 if AD improves with blocking
* Vikes D will get off the field quicker, leaning TOP toward Vikes
* Passing game will improve, TJ will learn to make the Safety PAY for getting in the box.
* Cook and Herrera will be improved, making the right side better


Go AD!!!!

gregair13
05-16-2008, 07:56 PM
i would ride the high until the next superbowl. and i only know a couple packers fans. i dont like either of them

gagarr
05-16-2008, 07:58 PM
"ItalianStallion" wrote:


"mark" wrote:


He really needs to keep his goals to himself.It makes other teams want to stop him even more and makes him look selfish.I think hes just young but he shouldnt make this stuff public.I love him and have a fish named Adrian so im not hating.


Look he's not calling anybody out, so I don't see how that motivates anyone any more than normal to stop him.
People will be gunning to stop him all year because of what he did last year and because they'll make Tarvaris win games with his arm.
I don't see how setting goals makes him or anybody else selfish.


I agree... doesn't matter what AD says.
No defense wants to be another Chargers and give AD record yards.
Just like the end of the year every team is going to be after AD, until they realize that TJ can beat them too.

mark
05-16-2008, 08:04 PM
"gagarr" wrote:


"ItalianStallion" wrote:


"mark" wrote:


He really needs to keep his goals to himself.It makes other teams want to stop him even more and makes him look selfish.I think hes just young but he shouldnt make this stuff public.I love him and have a fish named Adrian so im not hating.


Look he's not calling anybody out, so I don't see how that motivates anyone any more than normal to stop him.
People will be gunning to stop him all year because of what he did last year and because they'll make Tarvaris win games with his arm.
I don't see how setting goals makes him or anybody else selfish.


I agree... doesn't matter what AD says.
No defense wants to be another Chargers and give AD record yards.
Just like the end of the year every team is going to be after AD, until they realize that TJ can beat them too.


I think it matters what he says.if farve said he wanted to throw 50 td passes you would want to kill him when we play them. Brady and Manning or LT prob have goals but your not going to know them. just go out and play.theres no benifit to running your mouth

gagarr
05-16-2008, 08:08 PM
Which is better?

AD gets MVP and Vikes don't make the playoffs

OR

Vikes make the playoffs and AD has a OK year

gagarr
05-16-2008, 08:12 PM
"mark" wrote:


"gagarr" wrote:


"ItalianStallion" wrote:


"mark" wrote:


He really needs to keep his goals to himself.It makes other teams want to stop him even more and makes him look selfish.I think hes just young but he shouldnt make this stuff public.I love him and have a fish named Adrian so im not hating.


Look he's not calling anybody out, so I don't see how that motivates anyone any more than normal to stop him.
People will be gunning to stop him all year because of what he did last year and because they'll make Tarvaris win games with his arm.
I don't see how setting goals makes him or anybody else selfish.


I agree... doesn't matter what AD says.
No defense wants to be another Chargers and give AD record yards.
Just like the end of the year every team is going to be after AD, until they realize that TJ can beat them too.


I think it matters what he says.if farve said he wanted to throw 50 td passes you would want to kill him when we play them. Brady and Manning or LT prob have goals but your not going to know them. just go out and play.theres no benifit to running your mouth


Maybe the benefit is that AD is the type that needs to have everyone know.
Having the goal exposed gives him the push he needs to make it happen.
Each player has their own type of fuel... this just might be AD's.

mark
05-16-2008, 08:21 PM
"gagarr" wrote:


"mark" wrote:


"gagarr" wrote:


"ItalianStallion" wrote:


"mark" wrote:


He really needs to keep his goals to himself.It makes other teams want to stop him even more and makes him look selfish.I think hes just young but he shouldnt make this stuff public.I love him and have a fish named Adrian so im not hating.


Look he's not calling anybody out, so I don't see how that motivates anyone any more than normal to stop him.
People will be gunning to stop him all year because of what he did last year and because they'll make Tarvaris win games with his arm.
I don't see how setting goals makes him or anybody else selfish.


very true.good point.im just really superstious so i think its kind of a jinx.good point though,as lond as hes plowing fools its all good

I agree... doesn't matter what AD says.
No defense wants to be another Chargers and give AD record yards.
Just like the end of the year every team is going to be after AD, until they realize that TJ can beat them too.


I think it matters what he says.if farve said he wanted to throw 50 td passes you would want to kill him when we play them. Brady and Manning or LT prob have goals but your not going to know them. just go out and play.theres no benifit to running your mouth


Maybe the benefit is that AD is the type that needs to have everyone know.
Having the goal exposed gives him the push he needs to make it happen.
Each player has their own type of fuel... this just might be AD's.
i agree .good point.im just superstious and dont want him to jinx it either

midgensa
05-16-2008, 09:24 PM
"gagarr" wrote:


"ItalianStallion" wrote:


"mark" wrote:


He really needs to keep his goals to himself.It makes other teams want to stop him even more and makes him look selfish.I think hes just young but he shouldnt make this stuff public.I love him and have a fish named Adrian so im not hating.


Look he's not calling anybody out, so I don't see how that motivates anyone any more than normal to stop him.
People will be gunning to stop him all year because of what he did last year and because they'll make Tarvaris win games with his arm.
I don't see how setting goals makes him or anybody else selfish.


I agree... doesn't matter what AD says.
No defense wants to be another Chargers and give AD record yards.
Just like the end of the year every team is going to be after AD, until they realize that TJ can beat them too.


Well ... per your previous post ... EVERY team was out to stop Dickerson, Lewis, Sanders and Simpson ... and all of their QBs sucked those years (and OJ's really sucked) ... and they still posted 2,000+ yards.
Getting 2,000 plus yards is a good thing, but in all of these cases it shows that the passing game could NOT get the job done.
Now, the thing that hurts All Day's chances the most is not eight or nine in the box ... it is the fact that Chester gets his fair share of carries.
I have no problem with Adrian wanting 2,000 yards and an MVP and making that public. He did not say they were his NUMBER ONE goals ... he just said they were goals.

Schutz
05-16-2008, 09:30 PM
Dang.
Every other team was going to roll over and let AP run right into the end zone, but now they're actually going to try to stop him, and we were so close.
I think AP should be suspended for a game to make him think about the added pressure he put on his teammates.

singersp
05-16-2008, 09:39 PM
"ultravikingfan" wrote:


WTF is he even talking about here?

Is this just some random thought or what?


He's talking about this............

http://www.purplepride.org/forums/index.php?topic=44990.0

NodakPaul
05-16-2008, 10:09 PM
"mark" wrote:


"gagarr" wrote:


"ItalianStallion" wrote:


"mark" wrote:


He really needs to keep his goals to himself.It makes other teams want to stop him even more and makes him look selfish.I think hes just young but he shouldnt make this stuff public.I love him and have a fish named Adrian so im not hating.


Look he's not calling anybody out, so I don't see how that motivates anyone any more than normal to stop him.
People will be gunning to stop him all year because of what he did last year and because they'll make Tarvaris win games with his arm.
I don't see how setting goals makes him or anybody else selfish.


I agree... doesn't matter what AD says.
No defense wants to be another Chargers and give AD record yards.
Just like the end of the year every team is going to be after AD, until they realize that TJ can beat them too.


I think it matters what he says.if farve said he wanted to throw 50 td passes you would want to kill him when we play them. Brady and Manning or LT prob have goals but your not going to know them. just go out and play.theres no benifit to running your mouth


Last year, about the same time, AD was asked about his goals for the season.
He said Rookie of the Year and Pro Bowl.

It isn't running your mouth when you can back it up.
He is setting realistic goals for himself.

mark
05-16-2008, 10:15 PM
"NodakPaul" wrote:


"mark" wrote:


"gagarr" wrote:


"ItalianStallion" wrote:


"mark" wrote:


He really needs to keep his goals to himself.It makes other teams want to stop him even more and makes him look selfish.I think hes just young but he shouldnt make this stuff public.I love him and have a fish named Adrian so im not hating.


Look he's not calling anybody out, so I don't see how that motivates anyone any more than normal to stop him.
People will be gunning to stop him all year because of what he did last year and because they'll make Tarvaris win games with his arm.
I don't see how setting goals makes him or anybody else selfish.


I agree... doesn't matter what AD says.
No defense wants to be another Chargers and give AD record yards.
Just like the end of the year every team is going to be after AD, until they realize that TJ can beat them too.


I think it matters what he says.if farve said he wanted to throw 50 td passes you would want to kill him when we play them. Brady and Manning or LT prob have goals but your not going to know them. just go out and play.theres no benifit to running your mouth


Last year, about the same time, AD was asked about his goals for the season.
He said Rookie of the Year and Pro Bowl.

It isn't running your mouth when you can back it up.
He is setting realistic goals for himself.


im just saying from a pro athletes point of view you dont want to hear that smack.people are jealous and will go after his knee like last year.SET GOALS JUST DONT PREACH THEM

NodakPaul
05-16-2008, 10:20 PM
"mark" wrote:


"NodakPaul" wrote:


"mark" wrote:


"gagarr" wrote:


"ItalianStallion" wrote:




He really needs to keep his goals to himself.It makes other teams want to stop him even more and makes him look selfish.I think hes just young but he shouldnt make this stuff public.I love him and have a fish named Adrian so im not hating.


Look he's not calling anybody out, so I don't see how that motivates anyone any more than normal to stop him.
People will be gunning to stop him all year because of what he did last year and because they'll make Tarvaris win games with his arm.
I don't see how setting goals makes him or anybody else selfish.


I agree... doesn't matter what AD says.
No defense wants to be another Chargers and give AD record yards.
Just like the end of the year every team is going to be after AD, until they realize that TJ can beat them too.


I think it matters what he says.if farve said he wanted to throw 50 td passes you would want to kill him when we play them. Brady and Manning or LT prob have goals but your not going to know them. just go out and play.theres no benifit to running your mouth


Last year, about the same time, AD was asked about his goals for the season.
He said Rookie of the Year and Pro Bowl.

It isn't running your mouth when you can back it up.
He is setting realistic goals for himself.


im just saying from a pro athletes point of view you dont want to hear that smack.people are jealous and will go after his knee like last year.SET GOALS JUST DONT PREACH THEM


Did you read the article?
He isn't acting like Kitna with a 10-win prediction.
He was specifically asked about his goals for the season, and he shared them.
He also broke down what he was doing in the offseason to improve his weaknesses, and talked about the Vikings as a whole.
It wasn't preaching.

Plus, very few pro athletes would "go after his knee".
That is college or semi pro shit.
Nobody wants to see injuries in the NFL.

DaunteHOF
05-16-2008, 11:22 PM
AD can do it....have faith in him

Mr-holland
05-17-2008, 07:31 AM
http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d8085bbfe

I hate Marshall Faulk

MaxVike
05-17-2008, 08:44 AM
What's lost by the content (IMO) is the fact that AD is actually setting a Team goal.
Does anyone actually think one of the best running backs in the NFL thinks him achieving 2,000 yards doesn't take stellar Team play?
In fact, I believe he set the tone for the running game LAST year, before the season started by stating his goal was to win Rookie of the Year and to go to the Pro-Bowl...both, arguably Team goals.

Marshall Faulk has the audacity to imply that AD hasn't "earned respect?"
WTF was he doing last year?

This is not youthful exuberance, this is leadership.
Kudos to AD, he raised the bar for the Team last year...and, he's raised it again.

singersp
05-17-2008, 09:31 AM
KIBBE: Vikings' Peterson aims for MVP season (http://kstp.com/article/stories/S446377.shtml?cat=7)

Posted at: 05/15/2008 07:02:48 PM
Updated at: 05/15/2008 10:53:22 PM

By: Ryan Kibbe
kstp.com


To the applause of 2000 amped up kids at Forestview Middle School in Baxter, Minnesota, Adrian Peterson champions physical fitness....

singersp
05-19-2008, 06:46 AM
Peterson sets benchmark (http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,12118_3584273,00.html)

2007 Offensive Rookie of the Year aims for MVP award in 08.

Last updated: 19th May 2008

skysports.com


Minnesota Vikings' superstar running back Adrian Peterson has set himself the lofty target of following his remarkable rookie season by reaching the 2,000-yard rushing mark next season....

mark
05-27-2008, 10:43 PM
like i said him saying his goals wouldnt go over with his other teamates.sharper interview him on nflnw and aksed his goals and all he said was about playoffs and winning.apparently someone told him to shut his mouth like i said he should

olson_10
05-27-2008, 10:58 PM
he wouldve won last season if the vikes made the playoffs..he will win numerous MVPs in his career

dcboardr41
05-27-2008, 11:28 PM
"olson_10" wrote:


he wouldve won last season if the vikes made the playoffs..he will win numerous MVPs in his career


i think brady deserved it a tad bit more, maybe he coulda finished 2nd