PDA

View Full Version : Vikings inserting bonus provision in new deals

Garland Greene
05-07-2008, 09:12 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=AqBOXyKsTl9PwE2IJMOV3ERDubYF?slug=jc-allencontractterms050708&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

The Minnesota Vikings made defensive end Jared Allen the highest-paid defensive player in the NFL last month, but also provided themselves plenty of financial protection in the deal. It’s the type of protection that could become increasingly popular around the NFL as teams deal with high-risk players in the post-Michael Vick era.

Marrdro
05-07-2008, 09:27 PM
Thanks Garland.
That was a very interesting read.

“This is something the Vikings did with other players they signed this offseason, so it was consistent with everyone,” Harris said. “Jared was not being singled out, so we were willing to do that.”

Consistency.
I like it.
;D

By the way, anyone wonder why the hell articles like this come from outside agencies and not the local yutz's?

Who wants to take a bet one of those hacks uses it in thier paper tomorrow.
::)

Garland Greene
05-07-2008, 09:39 PM
Not if but which one will. I bet Crazy Sid will

cajunvike
05-07-2008, 10:10 PM
Smart move by the Vikes...all around.

6-KINGS
05-07-2008, 10:48 PM
Years ago I came up with a plan to have the NFL pay every player.
Basic salaries for each position. $$ for starts, $$ for productivity, $$ for awards etc.
All NFL teams would have an equal shot at every player in FA.
No more "BIG MARKET" teams getting most of the great players because they have more $$
Player has a great season, they get paid that season for it. Bad season, less pay.
That way no matter who contributes, they get paid. No more teams saddled with huge contracts for "flop" players.

I am sure there are some massive flaws in my idea, but seems good on the surface.

cajunvike
05-07-2008, 11:06 PM
"6-KINGS" wrote:

Basic salaries for each position. $$ for starts, $$ for productivity, $$ for awards etc.
No more "BIG MARKET" teams getting most of the great players because they have more $$
Player has a great season, they get paid that season for it. Bad season, less pay.
That way no matter who contributes, they get paid. No more teams saddled with huge contracts for "flop" players.

I am sure there are some massive flaws in my idea, but seems good on the surface.

What if they want to get paid in 'taters'?

DaunteHOF
05-08-2008, 03:31 AM
first the poison pill now this....the FO is tricky

digital420
05-08-2008, 05:43 AM
Robby B knows what he's doin.

i'm in full agreement with him so far and have full faith he'll be leading our financial / contractual guidelines for years to come.. and when he's done.. some brilliant and lucky understudy will be the most sought after commodity..

DiGiTaL

Zeus
05-08-2008, 09:19 AM
In the case of the Allen contract, NFL Players Association lawyer Richard Berthelsen said the union would still likely fight the league if Allen were to ever lose the money. However, the fight might be more difficult this time because of the clause, which was deftly crafted by Minnesota vice president of football operation Rob Brzezinski.

Am I the only one who's noticed that every time there's an article in the national press that talks about how smart the Vikings are, it features Rob B?

=Z=

AngloVike
05-08-2008, 09:50 AM
Have to give credit to the FO over the way they handle the contracts. First Hutch and the poison pill and now this. Like them or not they do seem to have the teams interests under constant review in order to keep ahead of things.

jessejames09
05-08-2008, 10:04 AM
No one wants to use the 'Bryzcheapski' jab when he pulls stuff like this off.. ;D

Mr-holland
05-08-2008, 10:22 AM
Looks like the cap in '10 will receive a big hit

seaniemck7
05-08-2008, 11:03 AM
Very interesting for sure.
Rob B is a smart MFer.
I hope he has someone he is grooming for the future.

The funny thing is Overlord and I were just discussing this very topic in another thread yesterday.
;D

cajunvike
05-08-2008, 11:46 AM
"Mr-holland" wrote:

There may be NO cap in '10 the way that things are going.

mountainviking
05-08-2008, 12:05 PM
"jessejames09" wrote:

No one wants to use the 'Bryzcheapski' jab when he pulls stuff like this off.. ;D

I thought we agreed that Bizdealski was a better nickname
;)

ThorSPL
05-08-2008, 01:03 PM
"cajunvike" wrote:

"Mr-holland" wrote:

What a GREAT year to have the "big cap hit" then! Man he's brilliant

josdin00
05-08-2008, 02:36 PM
"Zeus" wrote:

In the case of the Allen contract, NFL Players Association lawyer Richard Berthelsen said the union would still likely fight the league if Allen were to ever lose the money. However, the fight might be more difficult this time because of the clause, which was deftly crafted by Minnesota vice president of football operation Rob Brzezinski.

Am I the only one who's noticed that every time there's an article in the national press that talks about how smart the Vikings are, it features Rob B?

=Z=

No, I was going to point out that quote if no one else had.

PurplePackerEater
05-08-2008, 05:27 PM
"cajunvike" wrote:

"Mr-holland" wrote:

Either that, or the team could be packing up for LA by then.

gagarr
05-08-2008, 06:00 PM
"PurplePackerEater" wrote:

"cajunvike" wrote:

"Mr-holland" wrote:

Too true
>:(

DustinDupont
05-08-2008, 06:03 PM
"PurplePackerEater" wrote:

"cajunvike" wrote:

"Mr-holland" wrote:

Fuck that

Purple Floyd
05-08-2008, 06:41 PM
"Marrdro" wrote:

Thanks Garland.

“This is something the Vikings did with other players they signed this offseason, so it was consistent with everyone,” Harris said. “Jared was not being singled out, so we were willing to do that.”

Consistency.
I like it.
;D

By the way, anyone wonder why the hell articles like this come from outside agencies and not the local yutz's?

What, no Brycheapski comments?

Marrdro
05-08-2008, 10:34 PM
"UffDaVikes" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

Thanks Garland.

Consistency.
I like it.

;D

LOL.
Nope.
Believe it or not, I actually like the guy.
Infact, my biggest worry about the Vikes right now is that ole Bryz or Studwell will be pulled away for a GM job someplace.
:'(

Purple Floyd
05-08-2008, 11:16 PM
"Marrdro" wrote:

"UffDaVikes" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

Thanks Garland.

Consistency.
I like it.
;D

LOL.
Nope.
Infact, my biggest worry about the Vikes right now is that ole Bryz or Studwell will be pulled away for a GM job someplace.

So you changed your mind? Good. I think he does an allright job too.
Did you take the name brycheapski off your spreadsheet then and insert bryzzy buddy? ;D

DustinDupont
05-08-2008, 11:47 PM
"6-KINGS" wrote:

Then the game wouldnt be about winning for the players.. it would be about getting good stats

NDVikingFan66
05-08-2008, 11:50 PM
"6-KINGS" wrote:

And how was your idea received by the NFL Front Office and Players Union?

Marrdro
05-09-2008, 01:45 AM
"UffDaVikes" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

"UffDaVikes" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

Thanks Garland.

Consistency.
I like it.

;D

LOL.
Nope.

So you changed your mind? Good. I think he does an allright job too.
Did you take the name brycheapski off your spreadsheet then and insert bryzzy buddy? ;D

Ohhhh my feelings/mind haven't/hasn't changed about the man.
Some people just assume I don't like him cause I call him cheap.

NDVikingFan66
05-09-2008, 01:48 AM
Our front office seems to do a heck of a job...and they are always on the cutting edge of new ways to do contracts.

I like what they are doing so far.

I will like it even more if we make the playoffs and advance in them