PDA

View Full Version : Jared Allen has defense looking Sharper

singersp
05-06-2008, 06:45 AM
Vikings: Allen has defense looking Sharper (http://det.scout.com/a.z?s=93&p=2&c=752491)

By The Sports Xchange
scout.com

Posted May 5, 2008

(See the bottom of the article for the story)

Marrdro
05-06-2008, 09:09 PM
Thanks for the read my friend.

While this might be true, Sharper should enjoy any success he has in purple in 2008. Why? The veteran will turn 33 in November, is entering the final season of his contract and might have seen his replacement selected in the second round of this year’s NFL draft.

Anyone remember were the link is that gives us good break downs of player salaries?
I can only find this one and I seem to remember someone putting up a better one at some point this year.

http://www.sportscity.com/NFL/Minnesota-Vikings-Salaries

gabe_menendez
05-06-2008, 11:48 PM
Thanks for That!

midgensa
05-06-2008, 11:51 PM
I think we are going to see a very good performance from our secondary this year ... including Sharper ... because of Jared Allen. There will be a lot more pressure on opposing QBs and our secondary already was opportunistic and had great hands. Look for big things out of Sharper, Winfield and Co. this season.

Chazz
05-06-2008, 11:54 PM
"midgensa" wrote:

I think we are going to see a very good performance from our secondary this year ... including Sharper ... because of Jared Allen. There will be a lot more pressure on opposing QBs and our secondary already was opportunistic and had great hands. Look for big things out of Sharper, Winfield and Co. this season.

I agree...we will have a better barometer of how capable our secondary is this year. Which I think is pretty damn capable.

singersp
05-07-2008, 07:34 AM
"Marrdro" wrote:

While this might be true, Sharper should enjoy any success he has in purple in 2008. Why? The veteran will turn 33 in November, is entering the final season of his contract and might have seen his replacement selected in the second round of this year’s NFL draft.

Anyone remember were the link is that gives us good break downs of player salaries? I can only find this one and I seem to remember someone putting up a better one at some point this year.

Here it is Marr.

http://content.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/salaries/default.aspx

BleedinPandG
05-07-2008, 07:40 AM
"singersp" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

Anyone remember were the link is that gives us good break downs of player salaries? I can only find this one and I seem to remember someone putting up a better one at some point this year.

Here it is Marr.

Wowza... anyone see Matt Birk's cap number in there?

Marrdro
05-07-2008, 07:48 PM
"singersp" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

Here it is Marr.

That gives pretty good info, but I was looking more along the lines of one that layed the player out, when he signed, how much he signed for and what his cap hit was for each and every year.

That one only goes up to 2007.
Its a start though.
Thanks.

kevoncox
05-08-2008, 12:48 AM
jared allen doesn't solve the biggest issue I had with out secondary. They were whores on jump balls. Bowe, Curtis, Curry and Randle El all had their way wih our corners in position. With the ball in the air like it was, our CBs have to work on timing and knockdowns. Way too many times they went up and got MOSSED( that saying sucks now that he doesn't wear purple)

Marrdro
05-08-2008, 12:50 AM
"kevoncox" wrote:

jared allen doesn't solve the biggest issue I had with out secondary. They were whores on jump balls. Bowe, Curtis, Curry and Randle El all had their way wih our corners in position. With the ball in the air like it was, our CBs have to work on timing and knockdowns. Way too many times they went up and got MOSSED( that saying sucks now that he doesn't wear purple)

I hear ya my friend, but those types of passes usually take touch and time to throw.
I don't think QB's will have that luxury this year.

DustinDupont
05-08-2008, 12:59 AM
"kevoncox" wrote:

Yeah i agree, but at least they where in position to make the play, and not getting burnt down the field

Potus2028
05-08-2008, 01:51 AM
"DustinDupont" wrote:

"kevoncox" wrote:

Yeah i agree, but at least they where in position to make the play, and not getting burnt down the field

it's true.

with less time, the qb will have less time to lay it up like that.

have a good DE always helps the secondary, in all facets of defending the pass.

kevoncox
05-08-2008, 01:09 PM
"Marrdro" wrote:

"kevoncox" wrote:

I hear ya my friend, but those types of passes usually take touch and time to throw.

Not always my wise friend. A fade route is possible the quickest play next to the quick slant. That jump ball in NC jumps out the quickest to me. I think Allen will be a monster but I think the team and defense must continue to improve on all facets. Jump balls
can, still kill us. I'm stoked that we have an elite defense though. I'm just salvating. We are looking like the new Ravens.

Marrdro
05-08-2008, 07:45 PM
"kevoncox" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

"kevoncox" wrote:

Not always my wise friend. A fade route is possible the quickest play next to the quick slant. That jump ball in NC jumps out the quickest to me. I think Allen will be a monster but I think the team and defense must continue to improve on all facets. Jump balls
can, still kill us. I'm stoked that we have an elite defense though. I'm just salvating. We are looking like the new Ravens.

Excellent point.

Problem is you have to be inside the red zone for that to happen.
I suspect we won't see opposing teams getting many of those opportunities this year.
;D

Additionally, I concur with the need for improvement at all levels.
Lets hope the team peaks about week 15 or so for a cakewalk through the playoffs.

DustinDupont
05-08-2008, 11:54 PM
"Marrdro" wrote:

"kevoncox" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

"kevoncox" wrote:

Excellent point.

Problem is you have to be inside the red zone for that to happen.
I suspect we won't see opposing teams getting many of those opportunities this year.
;D

Additionally, I concur with the need for improvement at all levels.
Lets hope the team peaks about week 15 or so for a cakewalk through the playoffs.

Thats the best part of your post!

NDVikingFan66
05-09-2008, 12:01 AM
We all agree that our pass defense was suspect at times last year.
I think we could all also agree you can't cover a receiver forever.

Allen will help, but we still have to get pressure/sacks from the rest of our D to cover our lack of consistent coverage at times.

After awhile teams will bootleg the QB to the opposite side of Allen to give him more time.
We are gonna have to bring pressure from other spots on the field and maintain coverage.

I am excited though.

purplepowered
05-10-2008, 04:52 PM
"Marrdro" wrote:

"kevoncox" wrote:

They are not even going to have chances if any to try some. If they do. Me putting
the name purple people eater II on my car 2 years ago apparently was for a future reason I didnt know about.. And that is now. Because we now have the NEW Purple People Eaters #2

Vikes_King
05-11-2008, 02:50 PM
"kevoncox" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

"kevoncox" wrote:

Yea, they got beat on many plays like you mentioned earlier, and yea theres a few areas that can sitll get us burnt.
Just remember tho, Griffin, McCauley, and Gordon all didn't have that much experience going into last year.
They'll at least be one year improved this year

digital420
05-13-2008, 06:09 AM
"NDVikingFan66" wrote:

We all agree that our pass defense was suspect at times last year.
I think we could all also agree you can't cover a receiver forever.

Allen will help, but we still have to get pressure/sacks from the rest of our D to cover our lack of consistent coverage at times.

After awhile teams will bootleg the QB to the opposite side of Allen to give him more time.
We are gonna have to bring pressure from other spots on the field and maintain coverage.

I am excited though.

this is something i was contemplating. here would be a good situation for one of the lb's to be spying on the qb. and with all the extra's (te/rb) taken up blocking our front 4. the lb's will have open highways to make it to a scramblin qb.

so.. they bootleg left to protect themselves, and EJ lays a hit that knocks them back to wednesday..

DiGiTaL

PackOne
05-15-2008, 07:25 PM
My contribution to this topic, is passing along something a guy from California thought interesting. Quite a play on of words I think.

"The sky's the limit with Jared Allen. And playing inside our dome will only help."

-Leslie Frasier, Defensive coordinator

www.usatoday.com/sport...htm?csp=34

Mr-holland
05-15-2008, 07:30 PM
"PackOne" wrote:

My contribution to this topic, is passing along something a guy from California thought interesting. Quite a play on of words I think.

"The sky's the limit with Jared Allen. And playing inside our dome will only help."

www.usatoday.com/sport...htm?csp=34

The requested document was not found.

I seem to have that problem alot with USA today... :-

PackOne
05-15-2008, 07:58 PM
"Mr-holland" wrote:

My contribution to this topic, is passing along something a guy from California thought interesting. Quite a play on words I think.

Bad Link.

My bad. (http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/vikings/2008-05-08-sw-jared-allen_N.htm?csp=34)

mark
05-15-2008, 08:22 PM
Winfield will have a great shot at the pro bowl this year.He could have his best year

VikingsTw
05-15-2008, 08:47 PM
"mark" wrote:

Winfield will have a great shot at the pro bowl this year.He could have his best year

Quite possible, I like the fact that he worked out at all camps and voluntary things. Hopefully this will prevent a slow start and injuries like last year.

I'm actually starting to get exited about the idea of teams trying to pass on us. All seven defenders playing the game in front of them with Allen, Williams and Edwards bringing the heat. Should be fun even if decide to put more WR's out there, Gordon has shown the ability to do things along with Mcauley. Benny Sapps not a bad player but he does some weird sh*t.

singersp
05-15-2008, 09:52 PM
"PackOne" wrote:

"Mr-holland" wrote:

My contribution to this topic, is passing along something a guy from California thought interesting. Quite a play on words I think.

Bad Link.

My bad. (http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/vikings/2008-05-08-sw-jared-allen_N.htm?csp=34)

You don't know how bad.
:P

http://www.purplepride.org/forums/index.php?topic=44822.0

marstc09
05-16-2008, 11:55 PM
Sharper than this? Man we are going to be great on D!

LQAO_ILCcFs&feature

Chazz
05-17-2008, 03:38 AM
"marstc09" wrote:

LQAO_ILCcFs&feature

Nice vid. Can we start the season now??

Formo
05-17-2008, 03:59 AM
I love that video..
SRSSLY

Marrdro
05-17-2008, 05:41 AM
"VikingsTw" wrote:

"mark" wrote:

Quite possible, I like the fact that he worked out at all camps and voluntary things. Hopefully this will prevent a slow start and injuries like last year.

I'm actually starting to get exited about the idea of teams trying to pass on us. All seven defenders playing the game in front of them with Allen, Williams and Edwards bringing the heat. Should be fun even if decide to put more WR's out there, Gordon has shown the ability to do things along with Mcauley. Benny Sapps not a bad player but he does some weird sh*t.

Hell, he didn't need to be there.
He knows the scheme like the back of his hand.
His slow start and injuries had nothing to do with the fact that he missed workouts and film session with the rest of the secondary/team.

(I'm cracking my self up again) ;D

Excellent post my friend.

singersp
05-17-2008, 07:29 AM
"Marrdro" wrote:

"VikingsTw" wrote:

"mark" wrote:

Hell, he didn't need to be there.
He knows the scheme like the back of his hand.
His slow start and injuries had nothing to do with the fact that he missed workouts and film session with the rest of the secondary/team.

(I'm cracking my self up again) ;D

Excellent post my friend.

Well, he wasn't there last year for any of the voluntary camps or OTA's.
;)

Mr-holland
05-17-2008, 07:40 AM
Dwight Smith will be missed.. by who?!

MaxVike
05-17-2008, 08:21 AM
"marstc09" wrote:

LQAO_ILCcFs&feature

Thanks for sharing the video!

Vikes D will be a force for years to come IMO.
Had them in Fantasy Football last year, picked 'em in the 8th Round.
They scored more points in our league than most #2 WR's...they may be worthy of a 5th or 6th Round pick this year.

I AM STOKED for watching the Vikes D conducting some major whup-ass this year.