PDA

View Full Version : Let's get Smoot next year!

Erock
12-30-2004, 09:40 PM
I just read this on ESPN.com.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=1956018

Let's do what we can to get him, I know were going to be way below the cap.

VikingsTw
12-30-2004, 09:54 PM
I would hapily pay him the cash he wants. I dont know what kind of tackler he is but if he's a good cover corner he would be a nice fit.

There's alot of good CB's that come out of the 2nd and 3rd rounds around the league. I wish we could start using some of our higher draft pics on DB's.

Does anybody know if winfield is a top 10 paid CB in the the league?

RandyMoss8404
12-30-2004, 11:32 PM
Winfield and Smoot, drop Russell and move B-Will to safety.

Yes.

ItalianStallion
12-31-2004, 01:21 AM
This past season Winfield was the highest paid CB, because he got his bonus all up front in the form of a Roster Bonus. We front loaded his contract so it is much more manageable in future years. I think he made somehing like 13 million this year. Overall though I am pretty sure Bailey signed the most lucrative contract for a corner with the Broncos.

cajunvike
12-31-2004, 02:10 AM
"RandyMoss8404" wrote:

Yes.

I said that in another thread...so I would agree wholeheartedly!!! :thumbleft:

HarrisonB57
12-31-2004, 01:53 PM
We need to worry about an LB before a CB.

Vikings Fan At MSU
12-31-2004, 02:16 PM
we need more then one player on D besides smoot....if we were to even get him....smoot is arguably a top 5 corner in the league which means he wants top 5 money. we need depth as well..... seriously we have someone comming in the game named russian jones to play dime or bringing in idiots like derrick ross to lose two straight games for us i mean come on its not going to take a couple high profile players cause we can still give up the big play.......we get so spread out that all we do is go to zone and people get wide open against us........and get beat deep. By the way a cornerback is leading our defense in tackles lbefore a few weeks ago.........look at derrik johson or thomas davis in the draft cause since we are trying to rebuild versus spending a butt load of money

muchluv4smoot
12-31-2004, 03:21 PM
"cajunvike" wrote:

"RandyMoss8404" wrote:

Yes.

I said that in another thread...so I would agree wholeheartedly!!! :thumbleft:

Yes I like the idea of that except for one thing, williams is a FA as well. We can't give him a big contract, to play a position he hasn't played before. It could be a big waste of money.

Let russell go though. But then we would need to decide on if we want to sign williams at a deal probably similar to what smoot will want or go with smoot. Then we would need to get a safety in the draft or find one in FA. There aren't any good ones that are FA's, so we would have to take the best one that gets dropped due to a big contract that his team doens't want to pay. This seems like the logical move to me.

Would we have enough money to get a smoot and say a julian peterson or kendrell bell?

Vikings Fan At MSU
12-31-2004, 06:20 PM
Williams is a restricted free agent which means we would resign him to a one year deal potentially and maybe get draft picks for him or trade him before the trade deadline next year

parsongeorge
12-31-2004, 07:24 PM
"RandyMoss8404" wrote:

Yes. It cracks me up how once someone says to move brian williams to safety, everyone jumps on the bandwagon. I think he has plenty of speed to stay at corner he just needs to work on his technique with a coach that know's his ass from a hole in the ground.......hence the Dewayne Washington trade, who now is a really good defender in pitt.

dan3ski
12-31-2004, 07:25 PM
Unless the coaching gets alot better it will not matter who the Vikings sign or draft!

muchluv4smoot
12-31-2004, 07:29 PM
"dan3ski" wrote:

Unless the coaching gets alot better it will not matter who the Vikings sign or draft!

I agree. But maybe we can get so much talent here, that we will have enough to offset our horrible coach, and maybe win 10 games next year? It will be tough, with an ape for a coach.

muchluv4smoot
12-31-2004, 07:31 PM
"Vikings Fan At MSU" wrote:

Williams is a restricted free agent which means we would resign him to a one year deal potentially and maybe get draft picks for him or trade him before the trade deadline next year

Oh crap, I wasn't even looking at who was an unrestricted FA and who was restricted. Yeah, we will probably give him a tiny contract like we did with russell this offseason. Thank god we didn't give him a big contract for his fluke year! I remember a lot of people wondering what we were doing by giving him that crappy contract.

muchluv4smoot
12-31-2004, 07:35 PM
"muchluv4moss" wrote:

Oh crap, I wasn't even looking at who was an unrestricted FA and who was restricted. Yeah, we will probably give him a tiny contract like we did with russell this offseason. Thank god we didn't give him a big contract for his fluke year! I remember a lot of people wondering what we were doing by giving him that crappy contract.

Smoot is a restricted FA too, so it won't be easy to get him.

VikingsTw
12-31-2004, 07:40 PM
I dont think B Will will demand the money that smoot will but teams will take a good solid look at him. If he's put in the right systems (one symilair to Oleary's) he will excel. I know tice likes Brian so we'll have to see. It would be great to get another solid CB in free agency or in the draft. Then we would have at least four solid CB's including Ken Irvin who is a solid nickle back who takes care of his health and his body.

I'm thinking we need to go after the best DB in the draft wether it be CB or Safety. I don't know i keep changing my mind but i'm sure i'll be pleased with our pick.

Vikings Fan At MSU
12-31-2004, 07:45 PM
parson george....before you talk you really should look to see who dewayne washington plays for and when the last time you actually saw him play...................Washington plays for Jacksonville now and is like the 5th corner on there team.......hmm that tells me he isnt good and isnt in Pitt

VikingsTw
12-31-2004, 07:46 PM
Well he's an old man though, he was definitly a solid DB when the vikes let him go, he did get burned some but he plays solid ball.

parsongeorge
01-01-2005, 11:43 AM

parson george....before you talk you really should look to see who dewayne washington plays for and when the last time you actually saw him play...................Washington plays for Jacksonville now and is like the 5th corner on there team.......hmm that tells me he isnt good and isnt in Pitt thanks for the correction , but my point still stands. after we let him go he did quite well for pitt.

chuck44
01-01-2005, 12:11 PM
Am I missing something? All this talk about keeping Brian Williams. Moving positions for Brian Williams. I say just let him walk! He has not made a single play all year. It's :angryfire: watching him run around without a clue. Let him go,the sooner the better!!

bleedpurple
01-01-2005, 12:53 PM
"parsongeorge" wrote:

"RandyMoss8404" wrote:

Yes. It cracks me up how once someone says to move brian williams to safety, everyone jumps on the bandwagon. I think he has plenty of speed to stay at corner he just needs to work on his technique with a coach that know's his ass from a hole in the ground.......hence the Dewayne Washington trade, who now is a really good defender in pitt.

D Wash was cut by Pitt this summer and is now in Jacksonville

bleedpurple
01-01-2005, 12:57 PM

parson george....before you talk you really should look to see who dewayne washington plays for and when the last time you actually saw him play...................Washington plays for Jacksonville now and is like the 5th corner on there team.......hmm that tells me he isnt good and isnt in Pitt

BUT you just said Smoot was a top 5 corner.....I'm not so sure about that...

Winfield, woodson, bailey, rolle, sheppard, al harris....just to name a few..off the top of my head

RandyMoss8404
01-01-2005, 02:58 PM
"bleedpurple" wrote:

BUT you just said Smoot was a top 5 corner.....I'm not so sure about that...

Winfield, woodson, bailey, rolle, sheppard, al harris....just to name a few..off the top of my head

Except that Woodson, Rolle, and Sheppard are all average. Smoot is a top 5 corner.

VikingsTw
01-01-2005, 03:07 PM
Al Harris cant tackle, hes not a complete corner, he doesnt belong in the top 5 or 10 for that matter.

VikingsTw
01-01-2005, 03:12 PM
"chuck44" wrote:

Am I missing something? All this talk about keeping Brian Williams. Moving positions for Brian Williams. I say just let him walk! He has not made a single play all year. It's :angryfire: watching him run around without a clue. Let him go,the sooner the better!!

Are you watching the games or just looking at the defensive rankings. He has made plays he's got a couple pics in the last 3 games, one wich was very big against the lions. He bats ball away, yes he does get beat but he's a good CB. Maybe he's not suited to be a #2, i think he can do it, he may need some help from his other teamates (THE DLINE).

Point is you dont let a guy who has been sucessful in his career and is still young, has a long ways to go, and is still improving walk away from the team. If he's not a #2 he's a great #3.

Odin VAVikefan
01-01-2005, 03:42 PM
Here in Foreskins territory, I end up getting a lot of info about Smoot...

Bailey was a good cover corner, and teams wouldn't throw towards him much, and Smoot would have to defend against more throws, and he had better stats (tackles,INTs) than Bailey every year. Smoot will miss tackles on occasion, but he has been more of a big-play impact CB than Bailey ever was. In fact, Bailey took a lot of heat from the press here last year for blowing assignments and getting burned at crucial times. Smoot has a ton of heart, is a leader in the Foreskins secondary, has that "Wide Receiver" cockiness with the media (which I think is good in the position he plays), and isn't a penalty magnet. Moreover, I've seen him choose to stay in a game with a cracked sternum/broken ribs and lay out absolutely suicidal hits on people (vs. Browns or Bears, can't remember).

I don't think that Smootyflakes is a Top 5 Corner, because he's not the world's biggest hitter (chalk that up to being lightweight, because he definitely WANTS to hit hard), but I think he's arguably a Top 10. If we sign him, expect him to consistently play like Brian Williams' last two years combined and averaged out: something like 50-60 tackles and 4-6 INTs. Definitely a good buy if we can get him. He lifts up the other defensive players too. Keep Brian Williams! He's having a down year, but if you notice that our Ballhawking DBs are ALL having a serious slide from last year productivity, that has to be due to defensive playbook/coaching changes. Now we need to also sign some kind of drinks-from-the-skulls-of-his-enemies Linebacker/Monster.

ItalianStallion
01-01-2005, 05:07 PM
Smoot is lucky to be a top 15 corner, much less top 5. Still better than BW though...

TheAnimal93
01-01-2005, 06:53 PM
this thread is a moot point. i dont think snyder is going to let smoot go freely. and he is out for tmorrow.

RandyMoss8404
01-01-2005, 09:03 PM
"vikingstw" wrote:

Al Harris cant tackle, hes not a complete corner, he doesnt belong in the top 5 or 10 for that matter.

He shut down Randy Moss. And Marvin Harrison. And Andre Johnson. And the list goes on.

You don't have to like him - but he's a top 10 for sure, and top 5 possibly.

Burley81
01-01-2005, 09:20 PM
"RandyMoss8404" wrote:

"vikingstw" wrote:

He shut down Randy Moss. And Marvin Harrison. And Andre Johnson. And the list goes on.

You don't have to like him - but he's a top 10 for sure, and top 5 possibly.If he can shut down those 3, hes a complete corner in my book.

ultravikingfan
01-01-2005, 11:08 PM
I am not a Packer nor Harris fan at all. But, give the guy some credit. Every week he has the job of covering some of the toughest WR's in the NFL.

cajunvike
01-01-2005, 11:17 PM
"parsongeorge" wrote:

"RandyMoss8404" wrote:

The fact that Dewayne Washington is in Jax (so astutely pointed out by Vikings Fan At MSU) only shows us that the above poster should take a bit of his own advice (in bold above). :twisted:

Vikings Fan At MSU
01-02-2005, 12:19 AM
bleedpurple look what you just said al harris isnt a top 5 corner cause i can think of atleast two other corners better then him namely Maclister in Baltimore Barber in Tampa Bay why because they are both going to the pro bowl and better stats. now i know Smoot isnt going but Rolle has been injured for more then 25% of the season and has had better stats then Rolle the last few years. Al Harris is not that good period he gets beat way too much....if you honestly think that hes a top 5 corner does he cut the field in half NO...gives up too many big plays. Lito is alright but hes only doing well cause he plays on a good defense i believe he basically has he same stats as smoot but 2 more interceptions. I cant believe you said Rolle was a top 5 Corner.....i would take Tory James over Rolle..yea i know you prolly dont know who that is but hes a corner for the Bengals and hes going to the pro bowl. Rolles stats suck the past few years. Clearly Rolle has downgraded in value. Although he had 6 ints last year.

RandyMoss8404 Harris didnt shut down Randy i dont believe randy had a TD......Andre Johnson had over 100 yards recieving and Harrison had a TD too......shutting some one out isnt that you might want to check what shutting down some means..............Smoot is still a top 5 corner maybe top 7 or 8 i could have been a little off.

RandyMoss8404
01-02-2005, 12:48 AM

bleedpurple look what you just said al harris isnt a top 5 corner cause i can think of atleast two other corners better then him namely Maclister in Baltimore Barber in Tampa Bay why because they are both going to the pro bowl and better stats. now i know Smoot isnt going but Rolle has been injured for more then 25% of the season and has had better stats then Rolle the last few years. Al Harris is not that good period he gets beat way too much....if you honestly think that hes a top 5 corner does he cut the field in half NO...gives up too many big plays. Lito is alright but hes only doing well cause he plays on a good defense i believe he basically has he same stats as smoot but 2 more interceptions. I cant believe you said Rolle was a top 5 Corner.....i would take Tory James over Rolle..yea i know you prolly dont know who that is but hes a corner for the Bengals and hes going to the pro bowl. Rolles stats suck the past few years. Clearly Rolle has downgraded in value. Although he had 6 ints last year.

RandyMoss8404 Harris didnt shut down Randy i dont believe randy had a TD......Andre Johnson had over 100 yards recieving and Harrison had a TD too......shutting some one out isnt that you might want to check what shutting down some means..............Smoot is still a top 5 corner maybe top 7 or 8 i could have been a little off.

Andre Johnson is the ONLY receiver who had over 100 yards. Moss had 2 Catches for 30 yards, one of which happened to be a touchdown. Check the score - I believe the cheeseheads won.

When Moss is held under 60 yards, he has been shut down.

VikingsTw
01-02-2005, 12:49 AM
Tory James is going to the pro bowl? We had a shot at him a couple years ago when we signed denard walker. Darnet, he would have been nice to have.