PDA

View Full Version : Sharper says he'd like to remain a Viking until he retires

singersp
04-23-2008, 07:32 AM
Sharper says he'd like to remain a Minnesota Viking until he retires (http://www.twincities.com/vikings/ci_9019867)

'I want to retire in Minnesota,' says Sharper, who is nearing free agency

By Sean Jensen
sjensen@pioneerpress.com
twincities.com

Article Last Updated: 04/23/2008 12:39:25 AM CDT

The Vikings' 2007 season didn't end well. But Pro Bowl safety Darren Sharper is having a terrific 2008 offseason....

ThorSPL
04-23-2008, 08:48 AM
I wonder how much it'll cost to re-sign come next year....

Marrdro
04-23-2008, 08:52 AM
I bet he would..... :o

Lets see how he plays this year and who we pick up in the draft.
My guess is the Sharper will be one of the first "Fan Favorite" vets who gets the axe in favor of a newer, younger, cheaper guy as the staff starts to work the need to sign a few of our upcoming FA that have some gas to still contribute significantly in 2009 and out.

PurpleTide
04-23-2008, 08:59 AM
"Marrdro" wrote:

My guess is the Sharper will be one of the first "Fan Favorite" vets who gets the axe in favor of a newer, younger, cheaper guy as the staff starts to work the need to sign a few of our upcoming FA that have some gas to still contribute significantly in 2009 and out.

Simple economics, unfortunantly this is the rule of thumb. Veterans have to be replaced eventually. You simply cannot pay everybody, and always need to infuse youth to keep financially viable in the future.

Marrdro
04-23-2008, 09:01 AM
"PurpleTide" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

Simple economics, unfortunantly this is the rule of thumb. Veterans have to be replaced eventually. You simply cannot pay everybody, and always need to infuse youth to keep financially viable in the future.

I hear ya.
There will still be a few who beeyyyyattch when some of our Fan Favorite Vets are let loose though.
Some people get way attached to the players.

I for one learned my lesson with Joey Browner.
Now I just focus on the team as players come and go but the team will always be there.
(we hope
;D).

NodakPaul
04-23-2008, 09:05 AM
Of course he does.
After all, he is going to get a Super Bowl ring with us. ;)

singersp
04-23-2008, 09:19 AM
"Marrdro" wrote:

I hear ya.
There will still be a few who beeyyyyattch when some of our Fan Favorite Vets are let loose though.

Now I just focus on the team as players come and go but the team will always be there.
(we hope
;D).

LOL! Yet you still can't get over Green releasing Browner to this day. I know it still sticks in your craw.

I wish I had a dollar for every time you've brought that up since you've been here.
:P

Marrdro
04-23-2008, 09:21 AM
"singersp" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

I hear ya.

(we hope
;D).

LOL! Yet you still can't get over Green releasing Browner to this day. I know it still sticks in your craw.

I wish I had a dollar for every time you've brought that up since you've been here.
:P

I actually like Denny now and liked him as our coach but that first year he was on my hit list.

;D

HEY
04-24-2008, 02:55 PM
Darren own words: "I love winning, and the last thing I have to accomplish in my career is to win a Super Bowl, and I feel this is the best place to do it.

Damn right it is!

It also seems that him and Madieu Williams, the 3rd best addition the Vikes have made in the offseason this far, are getting along pretty well. Sharper even said that him and Madieu could be the best safety tandem in the NFL. In my opinion, Sharper is in top 5 in the NFL and Madieu is maybe in the top 10, so this might be true.

Very nice article singersp! Sharper is one of my favorit vikes.

Vikes_King
04-24-2008, 06:10 PM
i think if he plays well this year... he could get like a three year contract extension, and wouldn't demand huge cash.
As long as he back up his paycheck with his play, keep him around imo

i_bleed_purple
04-24-2008, 06:13 PM
I think, as long as he's not a liability in coverage, why shouldn't he get to stay?

jmcdon00
04-24-2008, 06:16 PM
"HEY" wrote:

Darren own words: "I love winning, and the last thing I have to accomplish in my career is to win a Super Bowl, and I feel this is the best place to do it.

Damn right it is!

It also seems that him and Madieu Williams, the 3rd best addition the Vikes have made in the offseason this far, are getting along pretty well. Sharper even said that him and Madieu could be the best safety tandem in the NFL. In my opinion, Sharper is in top 5 in the NFL and Madieu is maybe in the top 10, so this might be true.

Very nice article singersp! Sharper is one of my favorit vikes.

It's great that the veterans on the team and around the league are starting to look at the vikings as a contender or atleast near contender. Once the players buy into what the team is doing things are going to get better fast.
Last year it seemed like alot of the older players(sharper included) weren't really sure if the team was trying to win or not but with the moves they have made I think it is clear to all of them that they will have a chance to compete for a championship in the coming years. Yippeeeeeeeeee.

gregair13
04-24-2008, 08:17 PM
after he wins a superbowl, of coarse he will want to stay

dcboardr41
04-24-2008, 08:19 PM
"gregair13" wrote:

after he wins a superbowl, of coarse he will want to stay

go talk 2 kawika mitchell about that one lol

Purple Floyd
04-24-2008, 09:03 PM
Torii Hunter used that same line as did Santana, Garnett, Moss, Randall McDaniel,John Randle etc.

davike
04-24-2008, 09:37 PM
"UffDaVikes" wrote:

Torii Hunter used that same line as did Santana, Garnett, Moss, Randall McDaniel,John Randle etc.

:-\ That didn't turn out so well.....

Chazz
04-25-2008, 12:07 AM
"Marrdro" wrote:

I have to disagree with you. I think Birk is the first favorate to go. I honestly think Sharper will get an extention; somewhere along the lines of PW last year. A 3 or maybe 4 year deal with honest money; nothing that breaks the bank.

He won't be the starter when he retires. IMO

DustinDupont
04-25-2008, 12:13 AM
"Chazz" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

I have to disagree with you. I think Birk is the first favorate to go. I honestly think Sharper will get an extention; somewhere along the lines of PW last year. A 3 or maybe 4 year deal with honest money; nothing that breaks the bank.

He won't be the starter when he retires. IMO

Well i think he will go out on top after we win the superbowl

VikingsMB
04-25-2008, 12:17 AM
As long as his moments of brilliance outnumber his lapses in judgment, he will always be a great player

midgensa
04-25-2008, 01:27 AM
I think it is great to hear ... but it may also be him starting to posture for a new contract. I don't know what kind of money we are going to want to pay him after this season as we continue to look for someone to be his replacement. I definitely have enjoyed having him ... and if the price is right, would love to see him retire as a Viking.

digital420
04-25-2008, 02:59 AM
as our D looks right now.. i would say anything different would be insane.

esp for a ball hawk like sharper, he's gonna get to dbl his int's just cause of our front 4!

DiGiTaL