PDA

View Full Version : Red Picks Up Option on 05 Packer NFCN Championship

LosAngelis
12-28-2004, 10:55 AM
Minneapolis, MN (AP) - Red McCombs made the decision that Packer fans are cheering from the Mississippi to Lake Michigan.

With an option looming for the Packers to win a fourth straight divisional championship, there were lingering doubts that McCombs would pick up the option guaranteeing the division for the Green and Gold.

Following the Packer victory over the Vikings on Christmas Eve, the debate swirled on...would McCombs give another championship to the Packers?

But, on Sunday, all was decided.

"Our expectation of winning the division was met, and we feel that the program Mike Tice has guided gives us the talent base to have enough failure today and in the future," owner Red McCombs said in a statement Monday. "Our expectations are high for the Packers in the upcoming playoffs and for next year."

Mike Sherman, head coach of the Packers, seemed visably releived at his press conference on Monday, as his own job was in jeopardy.

"This is a tremendous vote of confidence from the Viking organization," Sherman said, "We know that no matter how much our team struggles, as long as Mike Tice is heading up their organization, they will always step aside in December and allow us to take the division. My personal thanks to Red McCombs, as he obviously received his payment from the Packer organization.

"We were afraid it was lost amidst all of the payments going out to the NFL referees."

For his own statement, Tice seemed once again blissfully unaware of the meaning behind the extension of his contract.

"I'm pleased," Tice said. "I want to remain the football coach of this football team because we've come a long way in three years."

"We just keep fighting the fight," Tice said. "Hopefully, when it's all said and done, you've accomplished a whole bunch. How many teams can say they can fritter away such huge leads in the standings, year after year? A huge goal next year is to win our first eight games, then lose the next eight.

"It's just amazing the number of options we have to help the Packers keep winning."

RandyMoss8404
12-28-2004, 10:56 AM
You are such a dick :lol:

UTVikfan
12-28-2004, 10:57 AM
Los, hahhahaha. Your sarcasm makes even me cringe somedays. Your working on cutting loose, are you? =D.

LosAngelis
12-28-2004, 11:01 AM
What....you think I made that up?????? :-)

UTVikfan
12-28-2004, 11:03 AM
No, but put the pipe down now, Los. =P.

BBQ Platypus
12-28-2004, 11:24 AM
It will all depend on how much the defense improves. The offense is good, and Linehan runs it well. However, the defense was a lot worse this year compared to last year. I think Cottrell is part of the reason for the decline.

I think Tice would do well to emulate the actions of many U.S. Presidents: If you aren't very smart, surround yourself with smarter people. Most of the worst presidents in history had a Cabinet filled with corrupt political cronies and complete morons. (See Harding, Warren). Ted Cottrell falls under the category of "complete moron." He calls WAY too many conservative coverage plays, and not nearly enough blitzes. The Bills' defense is a lot better without him running it. The Vikings defense has enough problems as it is.

If the Vikings want to make it far into the playoffs, they need to make more aggressive calls on defense. Tice would probably have to be the person to take that initiative, as Cottrell is too busy being an absolute and complete moron to notice. Then, during the offseason, Red will have to open up his tight fist, dust off his wallet, and hire someone with an I.Q. above 50 to be our defensive coordinator. We've hired a lot of defensive coordinators in the past few years, so I wouldn't be too surprised if the latter of the two necessities were to occur, but it would take a miracle for Tice to notice the crappy play-calling and do something about it.

Well, we can hope.

RK.
12-28-2004, 12:57 PM
Thats funny LOS :lol: The sad thing for the Packers is that Sherman even though handed the North Division by Red and the refs still can't seem to do anything with it other than confirm the mediocrity of your team. :P

whackthepack
12-28-2004, 01:48 PM
Los, that is the worst post ever from you!

Maybe Packman got your access codes and is posing as you?

MN_Jet_Fan
12-28-2004, 02:08 PM
Hilarious

rjkvikings
12-28-2004, 02:21 PM
"whackthepack" wrote:

Los, that is the worst post ever from you!

Maybe Packman got your access codes and is posing as you?

Oh come on whack, it was funny. He even makes a couple jokes about the Pack, like saying Sherman was afraid Red's payment got "lost amidst all of the payments going out to the NFL referees." Nice job Los :salute:

LosAngelis
12-28-2004, 03:31 PM
LOL, sorry if that offended you, whack. Was meant to be more satire than a cut.

Seriously, though, the TIce resigning is taking heat from a lot of media outlets. I've seen three different shows on ESPN panning the decision.

I've been a pretty open minded guy...I've acknowledged that Moss isn't a complete cancer, and I've always had respect for Culpepper.

That said, there were always two people I wasn't going to give an inch on: Hovan and Tice.

I don't think many people are arguing much about Hovan anymore. He's pretty much proven anything I could say this year.

Ticey, though...a "players coach" has never won a Super Bowl. He thinks he can bluster his way through a season, and it just doesn't work. The fact he has questionable assistants doesn't help.

From a Packer perspective, I'm glad he's still there.

From a Viking perspective, I'd start worrying that both Pepper and Moss are 28 years old, and by pinning hopes on TIce for another year, you just might be frittering away their prime years. Then, YOU'LL be the ones with the aging superstars, as finally a new coach comes in with a five-year plan to rebuild.

Seriously, not trying to inflame anything...as I said, when I see positives on the Vikes, I call it like I see them. But from an unbiased standpoint, as many of you have said, the only reason he's getting an extension is because he's cheap. And trust me, you guys have way too much talent (probably more than the Packers) to be chasing wild cards in the NFC.

VikingsTw
12-28-2004, 03:36 PM
I could care less if he's cheap, as long as he has a passion for coaching i'm good with it.

parsongeorge
12-28-2004, 03:54 PM
I agree los, that is hilarious as all hell..........lmao

RK.
12-28-2004, 03:57 PM
as he has a passion for coaching i'm good with it.
I could care less about his passion for coaching. Our local highschool coach has a passion for coaching that doesn't make him a qualified NFL coach. Look at our record and tell me we improved this year over last year with one of the most productive offenses in the NFL. Linehan and Cortrell suck, and Tice sucks for hiring them, and Red sucks for hiring Tice again. Don't be surprised if we end up 8/8 for the season and miss the playoffs once again. :( I love the Vikes but the management of this team is about the worst in the NFL.

whackthepack
12-28-2004, 04:46 PM
I apologize I over reacted to your post and I have always said you are the best Packer fan on this site!

sdvikefan
12-29-2004, 03:40 PM
"LosAngelis" wrote:

From a Viking perspective, I'd start worrying that both Pepper and Moss are 28 years old, and by pinning hopes on TIce for another year, you just might be frittering away their prime years. Then, YOU'LL be the ones with the aging superstars, as finally a new coach comes in with a five-year plan to rebuild.

Yeah I agree with everything you said about Tice but I'm not really worried about the "prime years" of Moss and Culpepper. I think a lot of people figured the 2002 Raiders led by Gannon, Rice, and Brown too old for another championship before they got there, and an aging Cunningham and 11-year vet Cris Carter almost took us to the Super Bowl in 1998.

I do agree that a one year extension with Tice is a total waste, since it doesn't really give us any assurance about the long term future of our coaching staff. As for Tice himself, like I said in another post I think he is better suited for an assistant or specialty coaching job.