PDA

View Full Version : Another year, another quarterback for Vikings



singersp
04-04-2008, 07:29 AM
Another year, another quarterback for Vikings (http://www.realfootball365.com/nfl/articles/21736.html)

Posted by: Jon Mohr on April 4, 2008 12:00 AM
realfootball365.com


Brett Favre became Green Bay's starting quarterback during the fourth game of the 1992 season and didn't relinquish that role for the next 16 years. There is a whole generation of Packers fans who have never known another No. 1 signal-caller....

StillPurple
04-04-2008, 05:06 PM
I still think that Todd Boumann and Gus Frerotte are better than Tarvaris, and they were better than Culpepper. The reason is the following:

- Ability to read a defense
- Ability to not get flustered by the blitz
- Good NFL QB mechanics

jmcdon00
04-04-2008, 05:08 PM
"StillPurple" wrote:


I still think that Todd Boumann and Gus Frerotte are better than Tarvaris, and they were better than Culpepper. The reason is the following:

- Ability to read a defense
- Ability to not get flustered by the blitz
- Good NFL QB mechanics



:o :o :o

Json
04-04-2008, 05:42 PM
I still think that Todd Boumann and Gus Frerotte are better than Tarvaris, and they were better than Culpepper. The reason is the following:

- Ability to read a defense
- Ability to not get flustered by the blitz
- Good NFL QB mechanics

Sorry, but I'm good with T. Jax way more then these other two.
I just find it amazing that people throw T. Jax under the bus after 1 full season of starting.
It truly baffles me.
He's a young kid, coming a very small school, GIVE THE KID SOME TIME, SOME EXPERIENCE, SOME HOPE!!!!

Mr-holland
04-04-2008, 05:44 PM
"Json" wrote:



I still think that Todd Boumann and Gus Frerotte are better than Tarvaris, and they were better than Culpepper. The reason is the following:

- Ability to read a defense
- Ability to not get flustered by the blitz
- Good NFL QB mechanics

Sorry, but I'm good with T. Jax way more then these other two.
I just find it amazing that people throw T. Jax under the bus after 1 full season of starting.
It truly baffles me.
He's a young kid, coming a very small school, GIVE THE KID SOME TIME, SOME EXPERIENCE, SOME HOPE!!!!

Got to agree, lol When were Frerotte and Boumann a good QB?
TJ can handle 'em both, and i expect him being fine in his 2nd year as starter

i_bleed_purple
04-04-2008, 05:59 PM
"Json" wrote:



I still think that Todd Boumann and Gus Frerotte are better than Tarvaris, and they were better than Culpepper. The reason is the following:

- Ability to read a defense
- Ability to not get flustered by the blitz
- Good NFL QB mechanics

Sorry, but I'm good with T. Jax way more then these other two.
I just find it amazing that people throw T. Jax under the bus after 1 full season of starting.
It truly baffles me.
He's a young kid, coming a very small school, GIVE THE KID SOME TIME, SOME EXPERIENCE, SOME HOPE!!!!


Nowhere did they say they were ready to can TJack, he just said he thought they were better, and I partly agree with that.
You can't deny that Jackson get flustered by the blitz, and has a hard itme reading the blitz and has poor mechanics.
Bouman and Frerotte are better at that stuff.
They may very well be better quarterbacks, but Jackson just needs time to learn.

Vikes_King
04-05-2008, 04:31 PM
"StillPurple" wrote:


I still think that Todd Boumann and Gus Frerotte are better than Tarvaris, and they were better than Culpepper. The reason is the following:

- Ability to read a defense
- Ability to not get flustered by the blitz
- Good NFL QB mechanics



all three of those reasons are exactly why i'm glad we picked him up... for a backup
;)

gregair13
04-05-2008, 06:35 PM
culpepper has tiny hands.

kevoncox
04-05-2008, 09:10 PM
"gregair13" wrote:


culpepper has tiny hands.


Fumbling is Peps biggest issue. He would have been a good QB for us.
If i remember the situation was all about Childress not wanting to give him a playbook.
WTF was that about? Why didn't he give him a play book. Shouldn't you want you starting QB to learn you offensive system ASAP?

olson_10
04-05-2008, 09:50 PM
"kevoncox" wrote:


"gregair13" wrote:


culpepper has tiny hands.


Fumbling is Peps biggest issue. He would have been a good QB for us.
If i remember the situation was all about Childress not wanting to give him a playbook.
WTF was that about? Why didn't he give him a play book. Shouldn't you want you starting QB to learn you offensive system ASAP?

there was a time when he was an elite QB for us, but i tend to think alot of it was randy moss's contribution which made the game easier on daunte's mind..he wasnt the greatest decision maker, but he was accurate most of the time, and had a monster arm..with moss, decision making was easier since 3 defensive backs were always covering randy at any given time

as far as daunte's leaving, that was up to him..he felt he deserved a huge raise, even though he hadnt played more than a few games the season before, and he played absolutely pathetic in those games, coincidently without moss

olson_10
04-05-2008, 09:57 PM
"StillPurple" wrote:


I still think that Todd Boumann and Gus Frerotte are better than Tarvaris, and they were better than Culpepper. The reason is the following:

- Ability to read a defense
- Ability to not get flustered by the blitz
- Good NFL QB mechanics


thats absurd

jkjuggalo
04-05-2008, 10:35 PM
"olson_10" wrote:


"StillPurple" wrote:


I still think that Todd Boumann and Gus Frerotte are better than Tarvaris, and they were better than Culpepper. The reason is the following:

- Ability to read a defense
- Ability to not get flustered by the blitz
- Good NFL QB mechanics


thats absurd


Culpepper does suck without Moss to throw to.
This is evidenced by his poor play on every team without Moss and the fact that no team has signed him yet.
He is dumb and greedy.
That's why he is not in Minnesota any more.

Webby
04-05-2008, 10:51 PM
"jkjuggalo" wrote:


"olson_10" wrote:


"StillPurple" wrote:


I still think that Todd Boumann and Gus Frerotte are better than Tarvaris, and they were better than Culpepper. The reason is the following:

- Ability to read a defense
- Ability to not get flustered by the blitz
- Good NFL QB mechanics


thats absurd


Culpepper does suck without Moss to throw to.
This is evidenced by his poor play on every team without Moss and the fact that no team has signed him yet.
He is dumb and greedy.
That's why he is not in Minnesota any more.


booyah.
some concrete evidence.

midgensa
04-05-2008, 11:34 PM
How did I know that this article would turn into a C-Pep bash-fest. I mean seriously, he has better numbers than any QB in Vikings history other than Fran the Man.
That said ... he did bitch and moan his way out of town and of course we do not miss his non-leadership attitude, but to say that Gus Frerotte and Todd Bouman is better than Tavaris or C-Pep is a little ridiculous.
Frerotte has always had trouble with reading defenses ... as evidenced by all of his regular starting stints since joining the league. Does he have some good moments? Sure, he has a great arm and a strong will an personality so he can get a little more out of himself and teammates sometimes than he should.
Bouman? C'Mon seriously? He has been terrible except for three games in his career. It is not that small of a sample either ... he has 6 career starts and 230 attempts ... he pretty much is garbage.
All the talk of what did Culpepper do without Moss? What exactly did Bouman do?
Sure Tarvaris might not be the answer ... but we may have something in him ... and we definitely would have nothing in Frerotte or Bouman.

dcboardr41
04-05-2008, 11:40 PM
lets hope gus doesnt head butt anything

litlharsh
04-05-2008, 11:51 PM
"dcboardr41" wrote:


lets hope gus doesnt head butt anything
Fuck that, let's put gus in at tackle and let dude go nuts with the head butting

StillPurple
04-05-2008, 11:56 PM
Sorry, guys, but you are comparing a QB (Bouman) who the Vikings gave 2 starts to, and a QB who the Vikes gave 4 starts to (Frerotte) vs. a QB (Tarvaris) who the Vikings have given 24 games to, to "develop".

As soon as Frerotte gets 24 games as a Vikings starter, we can start comparing him to Tarvraris.

dcboardr41
04-06-2008, 12:05 AM
"litlharsh" wrote:


"dcboardr41" wrote:


lets hope gus doesnt head butt anything
floop that, let's put gus in at tackle and let dude go nuts with the head butting


LMAO amazing, now we can trade BMac and throw gus in at LT

jkjuggalo
04-06-2008, 12:06 AM
"StillPurple" wrote:


Sorry, guys, but you are comparing a QB (Bouman) who the Vikings gave 2 starts to, and a QB who the Vikes gave 4 starts to (Frerotte) vs. a QB (Tarvaris) who the Vikings have given 24 games to, to "develop".

As soon as Frerotte gets 24 games as a Vikings starter, we can start comparing him to Tarvraris.


Tarvaris has not played in 24 games, he has played in 16.
If we are counting preseason spot duty and the time spent on the bench then Frerotte and Bouman would take Tarvaris by a mile.
Anyway, I was not agreeing that Culpepper is worse than any of these QBs, I was just stating that he sucked, which is true.
With the exception of a few good years by Moon and Cunningham, our QBs have pretty much sucked since Fran left.
I'm going to hold onto the hope that Childress can mold TJack into a franchise QB, and that finally taking the patient approach will pay off dividends in the coming years.

DustinDupont
04-06-2008, 12:27 AM
"StillPurple" wrote:


I still think that Todd Boumann and Gus Frerotte are better than Tarvaris, and they were better than Culpepper. The reason is the following:

- Ability to read a defense
- Ability to not get flustered by the blitz
- Good NFL QB mechanics



Sorry, guys, but you are comparing a QB (Bouman) who the Vikings gave 2 starts to, and a QB who the Vikes gave 4 starts to (Frerotte) vs. a QB (Tarvaris) who the Vikings have given 24 games to, to "develop".

As soon as Frerotte gets 24 games as a Vikings starter, we can start comparing him to Tarvraris.


In your first post your the one who compared both of them to Tjack......... so y are you saying other people cant compare them...

and saying that Bouman and Gus where better than Culpepper is just ludacris...

and Tjack is 8-6 as a starter so where u got 24 games is beyond me...

and its just like you blame everything on tjack in all ur posts... u gotta look at
everything the wide outs, the pass blocking, and not just blame everything on tjack

litlharsh
04-06-2008, 12:42 AM
"dcboardr41" wrote:


"litlharsh" wrote:


"dcboardr41" wrote:


lets hope gus doesnt head butt anything
floop that, let's put gus in at tackle and let dude go nuts with the head butting


LMAO amazing, now we can trade BMac and throw gus in at LT
haha he's probably only good for one play per game before he knocks himself out but it'd be like automatic IR for the opposing DE's

singersp
04-06-2008, 08:46 AM
"jkjuggalo" wrote:


"olson_10" wrote:


"StillPurple" wrote:


I still think that Todd Boumann and Gus Frerotte are better than Tarvaris, and they were better than Culpepper. The reason is the following:

- Ability to read a defense
- Ability to not get flustered by the blitz
- Good NFL QB mechanics


thats absurd


Culpepper does suck without Moss to throw to.
This is evidenced by his poor play on every team without Moss and the fact that no team has signed him yet.
He is dumb and greedy.
That's why he is not in Minnesota any more.


Moss sux without having Brady, Culpepper, Moon, Cunningham & George throwing to him. This is evident by his poor play in Oakland.
:D
:P

A lot of it has to do with the line these QB's were behind. Our offensive line in 2005 sucked whether Moss was there or not. Birk was out for the season & our whole line was in shambles. Tice was rotating players around for almost half the season.

If Moss had been there that year, I'm willing to bet we still would have had a similar season behind that line.

C'mon, Culpepper was behind horeshit lines in both Miami & Oakland as well. How well did those teams fare with the other QB's on those teams? How well did Moss fare in Oakland?

I for one never expected Culpepper to do well behind the line we had going for us in 2005 the way they played & I certainly didn't expect him to play well for Miami or Oakland either. His career was over the day they carted him off the field.

Yep, we did do better with Johnson later in the season, but at that point two things happened.

1. The line settled down & started to play better.

2. We scrapped the long passing game & went more WCO with Johnson throwing shorter, high percentage passes.

marstc09
04-06-2008, 08:54 AM
"Json" wrote:



I still think that Todd Boumann and Gus Frerotte are better than Tarvaris, and they were better than Culpepper. The reason is the following:

- Ability to read a defense
- Ability to not get flustered by the blitz
- Good NFL QB mechanics

Sorry, but I'm good with T. Jax way more then these other two.
I just find it amazing that people throw T. Jax under the bus after 1 full season of starting.
It truly baffles me.
He's a young kid, coming a very small school, GIVE THE KID SOME TIME, SOME EXPERIENCE, SOME HOPE!!!!


These same guys will be on the bandwagon when he takes us to the playoffs this year. They all come back but it is sad.

marstc09
04-06-2008, 08:56 AM
We could sign Daunte and make him our 3rd stringer. Embarass the shit out of him.

kevoncox
04-06-2008, 10:33 PM
"marstc09" wrote:


We could sign Daunte and make him our 3rd stringer. Embarass the pooh out of him.


He would take Tj's starting spot!
My grandmother with a missing leg might create a quarterback controversy.
;D :-[ :-[

KrackerJack
04-06-2008, 10:38 PM
"marstc09" wrote:


We could sign Daunte and make him our 3rd stringer. Embarass the pooh out of him.


Id take Tarvaris, Frerotte, or Bollinger over Culpepper anyday, floop Daunte...

Purple Floyd
04-06-2008, 10:43 PM
I am sure someone will post the NFL stats for all 3 and then we can see how they stack up to each other.

I believe both Gus and Bauman are better passers than Jackson but their decision making is not as good as most of the starters in the NFL. At this point Jackson doesn't have any better decision making ability and his passing doesn't look as good. This season that may change and he will solidify his position if it does. If it doesn't he will solidify his future as a backup.

Schutz
04-07-2008, 01:02 AM
"marstc09" wrote:


"Json" wrote:



I still think that Todd Boumann and Gus Frerotte are better than Tarvaris, and they were better than Culpepper. The reason is the following:

- Ability to read a defense
- Ability to not get flustered by the blitz
- Good NFL QB mechanics

Sorry, but I'm good with T. Jax way more then these other two.
I just find it amazing that people throw T. Jax under the bus after 1 full season of starting.
It truly baffles me.
He's a young kid, coming a very small school, GIVE THE KID SOME TIME, SOME EXPERIENCE, SOME HOPE!!!!


These same guys will be on the bandwagon when he takes us to the playoffs this year. They all come back but it is sad.


Or all the kool aid drinkers will jump off the bandwagon if we miss the playoffs.
What's your point?
::)

seaniemck7
04-07-2008, 08:32 PM
I will forever have a bitter taste in my mouth about Culpepper and the way he whined his way off our team.
I supported him through thick and thin (not necessarily on these boards, but still...), and then when shit hit the fan his true colors came through.

That being said, the discredit he gets as a "sucky" QB astounds me sometimes.
Did he struggle reading defenses? Sure.
Did he have midget hands and average over a fumble per game?
Absolutely. He was an above average QB when facing mediocre or lesser competition, and he was an average to below average QB when facing tougher competition.
Bottom line is he gave Viking nation better overall numbers than any QB since the golden years.
He should get that credit.

I am not even gonna speak on Bouman. The guy has never won a starting job or anyone's confidence to give him a starting job.


Now Gus, I like.
He was a late (6th i think) round pick for the Skins when he came in the league.
He beat out a 3rd overall draft pick (i think thats right) Heath Schuler and wound up being selected to the ProBowl early in his career.
I think he has always worked hard and did what his coaches asked of him.
Is the next Gannon, (someone who blossoms in year 11 of his career) ?
I don't think so.
But he is better than Holcomb and Bollinger put together.
I like the signing.

TJack deserves the patience given to every other f*cking starting QB in the league.
Aikman? 1-15 in his first year.
Manning? not much better.
Romo? 4 years on the bench before he started a full season.
Gerrard? 4-5 years behind leftwich?
I don't know if these starts are 100%, but they are close.
I am not saying Tjack will be as good as these guys, but he deserves the time they got.
That's for damn sure.

Freya
04-07-2008, 08:53 PM
Ferotte?!

spit
spit
spit


yuk.

haven't we already been there done that?

marstc09
04-07-2008, 09:01 PM
"Schutz" wrote:


"marstc09" wrote:


"Json" wrote:



I still think that Todd Boumann and Gus Frerotte are better than Tarvaris, and they were better than Culpepper. The reason is the following:

- Ability to read a defense
- Ability to not get flustered by the blitz
- Good NFL QB mechanics

Sorry, but I'm good with T. Jax way more then these other two.
I just find it amazing that people throw T. Jax under the bus after 1 full season of starting.
It truly baffles me.
He's a young kid, coming a very small school, GIVE THE KID SOME TIME, SOME EXPERIENCE, SOME HOPE!!!!


These same guys will be on the bandwagon when he takes us to the playoffs this year. They all come back but it is sad.


Or all the kool aid drinkers will jump off the bandwagon if we miss the playoffs.
What's your point?
::)


Not sure what you are getting at here. I for one support my team no matter what. Win or lose!