PDA

View Full Version : The Official How Much Will TJ's Contract Extension Be Thread

Marrdro
03-19-2008, 06:53 PM
Another pertanent topic.

Seems we have alot of CAP available.
Bet his agent is discussing this topic with Bryzcheapski by week 5.

Vikes_King
03-19-2008, 06:54 PM
"Marrdro" wrote:

How Much Will TJ's Contract Extension Be

impossible to say until we see if he starts, stays healthy, and how well he plays
::)

Purple Floyd
03-19-2008, 06:55 PM
Are you trying to see how many threads can get locked down in an hour? ;D

Marrdro
03-19-2008, 06:57 PM
"UffDaVikes" wrote:

I thought it was the new fad.
Start threads of this nature.

Schutz
03-19-2008, 06:58 PM
"Marrdro" wrote:

"UffDaVikes" wrote:

I thought it was the new fad.
Start threads of this nature.

Everybody's doing it.

jkjuggalo
03-19-2008, 06:59 PM
To answer the question, I don't think he will get a contract extension until after next season, assuming he does well of course.

jmcdon00
03-19-2008, 07:00 PM
6 years 50million with 15million of it coming from incentives, 15million guaranteed.

VikingsMB
03-19-2008, 07:12 PM
8-4 in spite of him last year.
If we have another "in spite of him" year it will be good riddance T-Jack.
Zygi and Chilly will hunt down the Veteran FA next year if TJack does not get us to the playoffs.

Marrdro
03-19-2008, 07:13 PM
"jmcdon00" wrote:

6 years 50million with 15million of it coming from incentives, 15million guaranteed.

Did they ever finalize Gerrards?

http://www.nfl.com/nflnetwork/story?id=09000d5d80749608&template=with-video&confirm=true

Already this offseason, Pittsburgh signed quarterback Ben Roethlisberger to an eight-year, $102 million deal that included over $36 million in guaranteed money.

Cleveland signed restricted free-agent quarterback Derek Anderson to a three-year, $26 million contract that included $14.5 million in guaranteed money.

Last October, the Dallas Cowboys signed quarterback Tony Romo to a six-year, $67.5 million contract extension that included $30 million in guaranteed money.

And just last summer, the St. Louis Rams signed quarterback Marc Bulger to a six-year, $65 million deal with $27 million guaranteed.

I bet TJ's agent won't wait until the end of the year especially if his win loss record is anything like last years.
:o

Schutz
03-19-2008, 07:14 PM
"Marrdro" wrote:

"jmcdon00" wrote:

http://www.nfl.com/nflnetwork/story?id=09000d5d80749608&template=with-video&confirm=true

Already this offseason, Pittsburgh signed quarterback Ben Roethlisberger to an eight-year, $102 million deal that included over $36 million in guaranteed money.

Cleveland signed restricted free-agent quarterback Derek Anderson to a three-year, $26 million contract that included $14.5 million in guaranteed money.

Last October, the Dallas Cowboys signed quarterback Tony Romo to a six-year, $67.5 million contract extension that included $30 million in guaranteed money.

And just last summer, the St. Louis Rams signed quarterback Marc Bulger to a six-year, $65 million deal with $27 million guaranteed.

I bet TJ's agent won't wait until the end of the year especially if his win loss record is anything like last years.

I bet the Vikings laugh at his agent if his play in those games is anything like last year.

Marrdro
03-19-2008, 07:18 PM
"Schutz" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

"jmcdon00" wrote:

I bet the Vikings laugh at his agent if his play in those games is anything like last year.

Yea, they'll let him go.
A 8-4 starter with very little collegiate or NFL experience doesn't have any upside or future in the league.
;D

Schutz
03-19-2008, 07:21 PM
"Marrdro" wrote:

"Schutz" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

"jmcdon00" wrote:

Yea, they'll let him go.
A 8-4 starter with very little collegiate or NFL experience doesn't have any upside or future in the league.
;D

I starter with a QB rating of 68................bright future indeed, I'm guessing he might even crack that up to 70 next year.
Super Bowls indeed.

Marrdro
03-19-2008, 07:23 PM
"Schutz" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

"Schutz" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

"jmcdon00" wrote:

Yea, they'll let him go.

;D

I starter with a QB rating of 68................bright future indeed, I'm guessing he might even crack that up to 70 next year.
Super Bowls indeed.

Who mentioned superbowls?

Seriously he hits the market and how long do you think he sits there.

Schutz
03-19-2008, 07:24 PM
"Marrdro" wrote:

"Schutz" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

"Schutz" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

Yea, they'll let him go.
;D

Super Bowls indeed.

About as long as Quincy Carter after his stint with the Cowboys.

VikingsMB
03-19-2008, 07:32 PM
"Marrdro" wrote:

"Schutz" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

"Schutz" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

Yea, they'll let him go.
;D

Super Bowls indeed.

We're talking T-Jack here...he's closer to a Leftwich than a Romo Bulger or Manning

Schutz
03-19-2008, 07:45 PM
YEAR TEAM G CMP ATT PCT YDS AVG
TD

LNG
INT RAT
2001 DAL 8 90 176 51.1
1072 6.1
5 64 7

2002 DAL 7 125 221

56.6 1465 6.6 7 80 8

2003 DAL 16

57.8 3302 6.5 17

2004 NYJ 7 35 58 60.3
1 98.2
Career

38 542 960 56.5 6337 6.6 32 80 37
Quincy Carter Career Stats

Looks like T-jack to me
;D ;D

dcboardr41
03-19-2008, 08:21 PM
"Schutz" wrote:

YEAR TEAM G CMP ATT PCT YDS AVG
TD

LNG
INT RAT
2001 DAL 8 90 176 51.1
1072 6.1
5 64 7

2002 DAL 7 125 221

56.6 1465 6.6 7 80 8

2003 DAL 16

57.8 3302 6.5 17

2004 NYJ 7 35 58 60.3

1 98.2
Career

38 542 960 56.5 6337 6.6 32 80 37

Quincy Carter Career Stats

Looks like T-jack to me
;D ;D

but at least tjack doesnt smoke rocks like carter
....but in a serious note, thats a lil harsh to compare the two, maybe if he sucks this year i will call him quincy jr, but for now he isnt even close

nephilimstorm
03-19-2008, 08:21 PM
I am already sick of him, trade him...LOL

aaeyers
03-19-2008, 09:58 PM
"Schutz" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

"Schutz" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

"jmcdon00" wrote:

Yea, they'll let him go.

;D

Super Bowls indeed.

Mcnabb, Steve Young, Tarkenton and Archie Manning all had worse seasons than Jackson when they were first appointed the starter. You're crazy if you think you can judge a quarterback after his first year, especially a late second round pick from a small school.

Zeus
03-19-2008, 10:08 PM
"Marrdro" wrote:

Another pertanent topic.

Seems we have alot of CAP available.
Bet his agent is discussing this topic with Bryzcheapski by week 5.

Why do you get to call this an "Official" anything?

=Z=

Ltrey33
03-19-2008, 10:45 PM
"Schutz" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

"jmcdon00" wrote:

I second that notion!

dcboardr41
03-19-2008, 10:47 PM
i dont understand why this topic has been made
???
??? ??? ???

kevoncox
03-20-2008, 07:08 PM
I didn't know McDolands gave contract extension
;D ;D

Stop jump passing those burgers son!
>:(

Purple Floyd
03-20-2008, 10:06 PM
TJ who's -your -mama is getting an extension?

Marrdro
03-21-2008, 06:29 AM
"Ltrey" wrote:

"Schutz" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

"jmcdon00" wrote:

I second that notion!

Comeon people, do you really think his play this season will be any worse than last season?
I for one don't have that much blind hate for the kid to atleast acknowledge that he looked good at times last year as well as looked bad.

He will have the whole offseason with the coaches and the WR's to continue to refine his skills, study tape and get better.

Face it my Non-TJ supporting friends, he will get better and he will win games this year and his agent will come a calling.
Gonna be fun to pull this thread up later on, say late late Nov, early Dec.
;D
;D
;D

kevoncox
03-21-2008, 10:22 AM
"Marrdro" wrote:

"Ltrey" wrote:

"Schutz" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

"jmcdon00" wrote:

I second that notion!

Comeon people, do you really think his play this season will be any worse than last season?
I for one don't have that much blind hate for the kid to atleast acknowledge that he looked good at times last year as well as looked bad.

He will have the whole offseason with the coaches and the WR's to continue to refine his skills, study tape and get better.

Face it my Non-TJ supporting friends, he will get better and he will win games this year and his agent will come a calling.

;D
;D
;D

Marr,
Let me tell you a story...
As a young boy i came across a family of turtles in a pond. Each morning they would swim from 1 side of the pond to the other. I notced that 1 turtled swam sparaticly and discovered under further investivating that said turtle had 3 legs. That 3 legged turtle has so much passion and so much heart and would try to keep up with it's siblings the best it could. Eventualy as time passed the 3 legged turtle grew stronger and faster and kept trying to stay out of last place. Do you know what eventually happened due to the turtle's courage and hardwork????

Not a damn thing.........3 legged turtles can't swim....

Yes TJ will improve but he will not be an elite Qb. I want an elite QB! darn it. ;D

Marrdro
03-21-2008, 10:31 AM
"kevoncox" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

"Ltrey" wrote:

"Schutz" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

I second that notion!

;D
;D
;D

Marr,
As a young boy i came across a family of turtles in a pond. Each morning they would swim from 1 side of the pond to the other. I notced that 1 turtled swam sparaticly and discovered under further investivating that said turtle had 3 legs. That 3 legged turtle has so much passion and so much heart and would try to keep up with it's siblings the best it could. Eventualy as time passed the 3 legged turtle grew stronger and faster and kept trying to stay out of last place. Do you know what eventually happened due to the turtle's courage and hardwork????

Not a gol 'darnit thing.........3 legged turtles can't swim....

Yes TJ will improve but he will not be an elite Qb. I want an elite QB! darn it. ;D

LOL, How do you know that?
;D

By the way, we all do my friend, we all do.

singersp
03-21-2008, 10:35 AM
"kevoncox" wrote:

Marr,

Not a damn thing.........3 legged turtles can't swim....

Then how did he get to the other side of the pond?
;)

It's not so important as to how quick he got there, but that he did in fact get there.

Never judge a feat by how quickly it gets done, but rather that it did get done with a lot of hard work, courage & determination.

snowinapril
03-21-2008, 10:45 AM
"Marrdro" wrote:

"jmcdon00" wrote:

Some would like to say $0.00.

I believe we will treat him fair, but he doesn't deserve $ like the guys above until he can prove he can play better.
I think that we should be able to get him signed for a reasonable amount.
Luckily this isn't the NBA, the money isn't guaranteed. Whew!

I would like to give him a minimal signing bonus to help compensate him for the last few years and then pay him more as the contract plays out with the option to restructure or incentives 2-3 years in to the contract.
At 2-3 years, we will know if he will be here and be starting.

He needs to play better.

Marrdro
03-21-2008, 10:52 AM
"snowinapril" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

"jmcdon00" wrote:

I believe we will treat him fair, but he doesn't deserve $ like the guys above until he can prove he can play better.

I would like to give him a minimal signing bonus to help compensate him for the last few years and then pay him more as the contract plays out with the option to restructure or incentives 2-3 years in to the contract.

He needs to play better.

I like the idea of backloading it based on peformance.

Did I ever tell you that you were wise beyond your years?
;D

kevoncox
03-21-2008, 10:53 AM
"Marrdro" wrote:

LOL, How do you know that?
;D

By the way, we all do my friend, we all do.

I tell you what. I'm a big TJ fan. I want him to do well and I think I have picked on him unfairly.
It's the jump passes. I can't stand them. It's like going to work in a clown outfit, ( and not being a clown of course ;D)
it just makes you stand out and look foolish. Damn it jackson, stop jump passing.

However, I will no longer be critical of him until the end of the season.
Every butterfly was once a caterpiller.

Can you imagine the calls for TJ's head if we draft Brohm?

jmcdon00
03-21-2008, 10:57 AM
"Marrdro" wrote:

"Ltrey" wrote:

"Schutz" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

"jmcdon00" wrote:

I second that notion!

;D
;D
;D

The reasons you say Tjack will improve could be said for almost any quarterback that ever played. Yes they have more time to practice, but that doesn't mean they will get better. By that logic Brooks Bollinger will be better this year, so who needs a new backup. Heck all of are DE have had another year to gel so why get any new ones.
I'm not saying that Tjack won't improve, I am saying that we just can't know for sure.

singersp
03-21-2008, 10:58 AM
"kevoncox" wrote:

I tell you what. I'm a big TJ fan. I want him to do well and I think I have picked on him unfairly.
It's the jump passes. I can't stand them. It's like going to work in a clown outfit, ( and not being a clown of course ;D)
it just makes you stand out and look foolish. Damn it jackson, stop jump passing.

Has anyone noticed how frequently that phrase gets used here once Childress said it?

kevoncox
03-21-2008, 11:01 AM
"singersp" wrote:

"kevoncox" wrote:

it just makes you stand out and look foolish. gol 'darnit it jackson, stop jump passing.

Has anyone noticed how frequently that phrase gets used here once Childress said it?

>:( >:( >:(
Never compare me to the Chill.
;)

Overlord
03-21-2008, 11:03 AM
"Marrdro" wrote:

"jmcdon00" wrote:

Your references to these other extensions just show that they will wait until next year to consider an extension for Tarvaris.
These guys were all solid/proven guys nearing or at the end of their contracts (Roethlisberger might have had two years left, but he looks like a franchise/HOF type QB).

Tarvaris has shown nothing to mark him as a long-term starter and has two years left.
Seriously, what bargaining power does he have?
If he tried to hold out he'd be gone in two days, not two years.

Assuming Tarvaris does well, he will be looking to sign an extension summer/fall 2009.
How much that might be will be dependent on how well he plays this year and the beginning of 2009.

singersp
03-21-2008, 11:04 AM
"kevoncox" wrote:

"singersp" wrote:

"kevoncox" wrote:

it just makes you stand out and look foolish. gol 'darnit it jackson, stop jump passing.

;)

Don't worry. You're much closer to an Troy Williamson.
:P

It's not just you who says it. Many members do now.

kevoncox
03-21-2008, 11:15 AM
"singersp" wrote:

"kevoncox" wrote:

"singersp" wrote:

"kevoncox" wrote:

;)

Don't worry. You're much closer to an Troy Williamson.

:P

It's not just you who says it. Many members do now.

I wish I had troy's speed, I would be playing in the pros now.
Too bad I could only run a 4.7 forty.

Marrdro
03-21-2008, 11:22 AM
"jmcdon00" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

"Ltrey" wrote:

"Schutz" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

I second that notion!

;D
;D
;D

The reasons you say Tjack will improve could be said for almost any quarterback that ever played. Yes they have more time to practice, but that doesn't mean they will get better. By that logic Brooks Bollinger will be better this year, so who needs a new backup. Heck all of are DE have had another year to gel so why get any new ones.
I'm not saying that Tjack won't improve, I am saying that we just can't know for sure.

Excellent point on BB my friend.
I guess I would respond with something along the lines of BB has been at it for how many years?

TJ on the other hand was a project at best (with some nice upside) and then threw to the wolves.
My assumption is that while he was thrown to the wolves he not only got some great reps/experience but the coaching staff also got alot of game tape they can use to help him overcome some of his inadequacies.

However, you are correct, we won't know for sure.
I am basing on my hope on my previous paragraph and the hope that our coaching staff knows what they are doing.

Marrdro
03-21-2008, 11:29 AM
"Overlord" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

"jmcdon00" wrote:

Your references to these other extensions just show that they will wait until next year to consider an extension for Tarvaris.
These guys were all solid/proven guys nearing or at the end of their contracts (Roethlisberger might have had two years left, but he looks like a franchise/HOF type QB).

Tarvaris has shown nothing to mark him as a long-term starter and has two years left.
Seriously, what bargaining power does he have?
If he tried to hold out he'd be gone in two days, not two years.

Assuming Tarvaris does well, he will be looking to sign an extension summer/fall 2009.
How much that might be will be dependent on how well he plays this year and the beginning of 2009.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think his last contract year is 2009.
There is no way his agent will let him enter that year without trying to at least get an extension.

Year 1 26 Jul 2006 - 26 Jul 2007
Year 2 26 Jul 2007 - 26 Jul 2008
Year 3 26 Jul 2008 - 26 Jul 2009
Year 4 26 Jul 2009 - 26 Jul 2010

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tarvaris_Jackson

snowinapril
03-21-2008, 11:41 AM
"Marrdro" wrote:

"snowinapril" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

"jmcdon00" wrote:

He needs to play better.

;D

Mange Tousend Takk my friend!

I think that if the TJ camp wants to negotiate early, they won't have the leverage to get a huge contract.
It might work out better for the Vikings.
If he comes out of the shoot this season, that will be the leverage the TJ camp needs to negotiate.
They have to make Chilly (and the Org) believe he is right on his QB decision.

singersp
03-21-2008, 11:49 AM
"snowinapril" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

"snowinapril" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

"jmcdon00" wrote:

He needs to play better.

;D

What?

Is that a foreign language for "You crack me up"?

olson_10
03-21-2008, 11:54 AM
peanuts..thats what the deal will be worth

snowinapril
03-21-2008, 11:57 AM
"singersp" wrote:

"snowinapril" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

"snowinapril" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

He needs to play better.

;D

What?

Is that a foreign language for "You crack me up"?

That would have been a great interpretation but......

Many thousand thanks in Norsk was my intent.

singersp
03-21-2008, 11:58 AM
I think there's going to be a lot of people eating crow about mid-season this year.

Note to self: Remember to dredge this thread back up next November.

snowinapril
03-21-2008, 11:59 AM
"olson_10" wrote:

I bought a bag of Circus Peanuts the other day for $0.50.
Real peanuts are much more expensive.

Circus Peanuts or Regular Peanuts?

snowinapril
03-21-2008, 12:00 PM
"singersp" wrote:

I think there's going to be a lot of people eating crow about mid-season this year.

Note to self: Remember to dredge this thread back up next November.

I hope TJ lights it up.
He is the only choice we have right now.
I want to see him do well, like every other Viking on the roster.

VikingsMB
03-21-2008, 12:03 PM
I am going out on limb and saying T-Jack will have a banner year this year.
11-5 as a starter.

It's our year, People!

Overlord
03-21-2008, 12:09 PM
"Marrdro" wrote:

"Overlord" wrote:

There is no way his agent will let him enter that year without trying to at least get an extension.

You are correct that his last contract year is 2009.
I will point out a minor correction, and that is that he is under contract until the end of February 2010, not July (start of free agency).
So he is still under contract this year and next year.

In my mind, there is no way the Vikings extend Tarvaris before the end of this season.
Why would they?
They don't know if he's their long-term solution yet, and he has no leverage.
Wouldn't they rather pay him $0.5 million next year than give him a big raise?

So then we're into next offseason.
Let's assume that Tarvaris does well.
Then they want to start talking about extending him.
But they'd like to see him match that level of play again before giving him big money.
His agent and Tarvaris realize that they can improve their chances at getting a big deal if they wait for Tarvaris to play well in the first half of the season, while they really don't help their position if they threaten to hold out.

If Tarvaris does REALLY well next year, then they definately wait.
The Vikings won't be willing to give big money without a couple seasons of play at that level, and they'll have the 4th contract year and the franchise card to hold over him.

olson_10
03-21-2008, 12:24 PM
"snowinapril" wrote:

"olson_10" wrote:

I bought a bag of Circus Peanuts the other day for $0.50.
Real peanuts are much more expensive.

Circus Peanuts or Regular Peanuts?

i was thinking more along the lines of ball park peanuts..around 5-6 bucks a bag

snowinapril
03-21-2008, 12:28 PM
Why push it to a FA/Franchise situation?

As soon as the Vikes get the idea he is the guy they sign him before he gets out that far.
If they see a point where he can be had for less than a Tag amount, they have to do so at that point.

kevoncox
03-21-2008, 12:43 PM
"snowinapril" wrote:

As soon as the Vikes get the idea he is the guy they sign him before he gets out that far.
If they see a point where he can be had for less than a Tag amount, they have to do so at that point.

Regression my friend.
TJ will have to play at a high enough level for 2 years to prove his worth.

snowinapril
03-21-2008, 02:41 PM
"kevoncox" wrote:

"snowinapril" wrote:

Regression my friend.

Not regression, just positive thinking as a Fan of the team.

Marrdro
03-21-2008, 02:45 PM
"Overlord" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

"Overlord" wrote:

I will point out a minor correction, and that is that he is under contract until the end of February 2010, not July (start of free agency).

In my mind, there is no way the Vikings extend Tarvaris before the end of this season.
Why would they?

But they'd like to see him match that level of play again before giving him big money.
His agent and Tarvaris realize that they can improve their chances at getting a big deal if they wait for Tarvaris to play well in the first half of the season, while they really don't help their position if they threaten to hold out.

The Vikings won't be willing to give big money without a couple seasons of play at that level, and they'll have the 4th contract year and the franchise card to hold over him.

It will save them money.

And they better know by the middle of this season if he is the long term answer.
Hell, most casual fans will be able to see how much he has progressed by at least game 2 or 3.

Marrdro
03-21-2008, 02:47 PM
"snowinapril" wrote:

Exactly.

Does anyone on this site really think that our coaching staff and front office organization are that clueless that they don't know what they have in a QB when it comes to TJ?

Seriously.....

Overlord
03-21-2008, 02:58 PM
"Marrdro" wrote:

"Overlord" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

"Overlord" wrote:

Why would they?

It will save them money.

And they better know by the middle of this season if he is the long term answer.
Hell, most casual fans will be able to see how much he has progressed by at least game 2 or 3.

It will only save them money to sign him long-term if he's worth keeping around.
If he's not, then a long-term deal will cost them money.

And I'm not so sure that it will be obvious he is the long-term answer after 2 or 3 games, or even after the end of the season.
For example, J.P. Losman had a less than steller second year (his first as a starter), as shown by his 64.9 QB rating that year.
In his third year, he started 16 games and improved his rating to 84.9.
This year, rather than solidify his place as a starter, he was displaced by a less than stellar Trent Edwards.
Things happen.

You want to see production for as long as possible before you commit to a long-term deal.
The concern that we might end up paying Tarvaris an extra million/year if we wait is not as big a deal as the concern that we handcuff ourselves to the guy for $3-5 million/year and he becomes a burden if his play declines or he gets hurt.

snowinapril
03-21-2008, 02:59 PM
"Marrdro" wrote:

"snowinapril" wrote:

Exactly.

Does anyone on this site really think that our coaching staff and front office organization are that clueless that they don't know what they have in a QB when it comes to TJ?

Seriously.....

I know they know.

I know that you know that they know that we know that they know that we know they know we know that they know what they have in a QB.

;D

Heck this staff isn't even sweating the fact we don't have a backup yet.
LOL!

Marrdro
03-21-2008, 03:01 PM
"snowinapril" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

"snowinapril" wrote:

Exactly.

Seriously.....

I know they know.

I know that you know that they know that we know that they know that we know they know we know that they know what they have in a QB.
;D

LOL!

LOL, best laugh I've had all day.
;D

kevoncox
03-21-2008, 03:06 PM
"snowinapril" wrote:

"kevoncox" wrote:

"snowinapril" wrote:

Regression my friend.

I would hate for the staff to look at 1 solid year and jump all over him to extend.
I say take 2 years and know what you really have.

snowinapril
03-21-2008, 03:20 PM
"Marrdro" wrote:

"snowinapril" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

"snowinapril" wrote:

Exactly.

Seriously.....

I know they know.

;D

LOL!

LOL, best laugh I've had all day.
;D

I could have summed it up with one word, Faith, but that wouldn't have been as funny.
8)

Marrdro
03-21-2008, 03:32 PM
"kevoncox" wrote:

"snowinapril" wrote:

"kevoncox" wrote:

"snowinapril" wrote:

Regression my friend.

I would hate for the staff to look at 1 solid year and jump all over him to extend.

They watched him in camp/practice the first year.
In camp, practice and in 12 games last year.

Again, I believe they should have first hand knowledge of what they have by the beginning of the season if they don't already know.

Sure, let him play some this year but at some point they will have to make a decision.

kevoncox
03-21-2008, 03:38 PM
"Marrdro" wrote:

"kevoncox" wrote:

"snowinapril" wrote:

"kevoncox" wrote:

"snowinapril" wrote:

Regression my friend.

Again, I believe they should have first hand knowledge of what they have by the beginning of the season if they don't already know.

Sure, let him play some this year but at some point they will have to make a decision.

I just liked the way the cowboys handled their qb situation. They didn't sucomb to pressure to resign him. They watched until they were convinced and then jumped in.

Marrdro
03-21-2008, 03:41 PM
"kevoncox" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

"kevoncox" wrote:

"snowinapril" wrote:

"kevoncox" wrote:

Regression my friend.

I just liked the way the cowboys handled their qb situation. They didn't sucomb to pressure to resign him. They watched until they were convinced and then jumped in.

I agree and thats why they will draft a guy this year so they can grow him the right way instead of throwing him to the wolves..... ;D

I know alot of you pooo pooo it away but TJ will command some bucks and it will be sooner than later.
Lets hope (if he deserves it) the staff does the right thing and signs the kid for what he is worth and if he isn't, they have a kid (Flacco/Ainge/Brohm) that has held the clipboard for a year or two when that time comes.

Purple Floyd
03-21-2008, 10:52 PM
"Marrdro" wrote:

"kevoncox" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

"kevoncox" wrote:

"snowinapril" wrote:

Regression my friend.

I agree and thats why they will draft a guy this year so they can grow him the right way instead of throwing him to the wolves..... ;D

I know alot of you pooo pooo it away but TJ will command some bucks and it will be sooner than later.
Lets hope (if he deserves it) the staff does the right thing and signs the kid for what he is worth and if he isn't, they have a kid (Flacco/Ainge/Brohm) that has held the clipboard for a year or two when that time comes.

For the sake of the Vikings and my sanity as a fan I hope you are right but he is so far from being in that league that it is going to take a 50x pair of purple shades to see the light on that statement. Right now he is as close to being a superstar as Troy Williamson.

Schutz
03-22-2008, 12:53 AM
"Marrdro" wrote:

"kevoncox" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

"kevoncox" wrote:

"snowinapril" wrote:

Regression my friend.

Yes Mar, just like Cleo Lemon is going to be paid bucks, in the sense that he'll make money and not food stamps.
If you think T-Jack is on the verge of getting some sort of big contract those purple goggles must be on too tight.
;D

Marrdro
03-22-2008, 05:30 AM
"UffDaVikes" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

"kevoncox" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

"kevoncox" wrote:

Regression my friend.

For the sake of the Vikings and my sanity as a fan I hope you are right but he is so far from being in that league that it is going to take a 50x pair of purple shades to see the light on that statement. Right now he is as close to being a superstar as Troy Williamson.

I hear ya but I'm not talking superstar.
Hell those are far and few between
Every fan wants one at QB.
I'm just talking run of the mill, get it done kindof guy like all the other teams other than the Pats, Colts and......

Well thats it isn't it. ;D

Marrdro
03-22-2008, 05:34 AM
"Schutz" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

"kevoncox" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

"kevoncox" wrote:

Regression my friend.

Yes Mar, just like Cleo Lemon is going to be paid bucks, in the sense that he'll make money and not food stamps.
If you think T-Jack is on the verge of getting some sort of big contract those purple goggles must be on too tight.

;D

So when his contract comes due they will say so long my young friend.
Its been nice.
See ya.
Glad I don't have to be ya.

Come on Schutz, you know he is gonna get paid.
The points to ponder that are still on the board is when, how much and by whom.

As I said previously, he won't last long on the market thats for sure.

Schutz
03-23-2008, 04:08 AM
"Marrdro" wrote:

"Schutz" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

"kevoncox" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

Regression my friend.

;D

Its been nice.
See ya.

Unless he comes out gunning with at least that magically high level of an 80 QB rating who in their right mind is going to fight for him other than a backup?
Who?
He'll have the same ability to find a new team quickly just like Cleo Lemon.
Like I said Mar, those goggles are on too tight if you think a guy who has proven exactly nothing in the NFL is in line for a private jet with his new phat contract he signed with some team.

If he comes out gunning and does good, and I mean REALLY good the most money that T-Jack will get is high backup Brad Johnson type money.

Marrdro
03-23-2008, 05:38 AM
"Schutz" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

"Schutz" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

"kevoncox" wrote:

Regression my friend.

;D

Its been nice.
See ya.

Unless he comes out gunning with at least that magically high level of an 80 QB rating who in their right mind is going to fight for him other than a backup?
Who?
He'll have the same ability to find a new team quickly just like Cleo Lemon.
Like I said Mar, those goggles are on too tight if you think a guy who has proven exactly nothing in the NFL is in line for a private jet with his new phat contract he signed with some team.

If he comes out gunning and does good, and I mean REALLY good the most money that T-Jack will get is high backup Brad Johnson type money.

And you say I wear goggles.
;D

Caine
03-23-2008, 06:59 AM
Contract EXTENSION?
Are you NUTS?!?!?!?
Based upon WHAT????

Tarvaris Jackson is to Quarterbacks right now what Troy Williamson is to Wide Receivers.

Remember all the people saying that Williamson deserved another chance?
Remember how they claimed he had all this potential?
WRONG!!!!!

I am hearing the same silliness about Jackson.

His 8-4 record as a starter?
You mean Peterson and the Defense's 8-4 record, right?
Name ONE game that Tarvaris "WON".
Just one.
One game where he was an important part of the process and made things happen that led to victory.

You can't.

And you want to talk about extending his contract?
Seriously?

Why not wait until he DOES something.
About week 4 we should have a pretty good idea of how this season is going to go as far as Jackson's performance is concerned.
At about that point we should also have a fairly good idea of what his relative worth to the franchise is.

If he tears it up, comes out firing on all cylinders, and starts having QB ratings in the 90's or better, THEN let's start whispering about extensions.
But if he continues to put in lackluster performances, why bother?
Bollinger can do THAT.
Hells bells, I can do that.

Contract extension?
In the words of Stephan A. Smith...."Oh, pstop it!!"

Caine

Marrdro
03-23-2008, 07:08 AM
"Caine" wrote:

Contract EXTENSION?

Are you NUTS?!?!?!?
Based upon WHAT????

Tarvaris Jackson is to Quarterbacks right now what Troy Williamson is to Wide Receivers.

WRONG!!!!!

Just one.
One game where he was an important part of the process and made things happen that led to victory.

You can't.

Seriously?

About week 4 we should have a pretty good idea of how this season is going to go as far as Jackson's performance is concerned.
At about that point we should also have a fairly good idea of what his relative worth to the franchise is.

If he tears it up, comes out firing on all cylinders, and starts having QB ratings in the 90's or better, THEN let's start whispering about extensions.
Bollinger can do THAT.

Contract extension?

Caine

LOL.
Your on a roll this morning.

Here's what I said a few pages back.

Just one.

Your right, I can't, however, I can list 8 that he didn't loose for us right along with the 2 that he did loose for us.

Truth of the matter is that his agent will come a calling and it will be interesting to watch how Bryzcheapski handles this one, not to mention the fans.

Caine
03-23-2008, 07:25 AM
"Marrdro" wrote:

"Caine" wrote:

Contract EXTENSION?

Are you NUTS?!?!?!?
Based upon WHAT????

WRONG!!!!!

Just one.

You can't.

Seriously?

Bollinger can do THAT.

Contract extension?

Caine

LOL.

Just one.

Your right, I can't, however, I can list 8 that he didn't loose for us right along with the 2 that he did loose for us.

Truth of the matter is that his agent will come a calling and it will be interesting to watch how Bryzcheapski handles this one, not to mention the fans.

I know how I'd handle it...

Agent:
I'm here to talk about a contract extension for Tarvaris.

Me:
What?

Agent:

THUD!!!
(Sound of me falling to the floor, doubled over by uncontrolable laughing)

...30 minutes later, after I've caught my breath.

Me (on the phone):
No, seriously, come on over here....you've GOT to hear this.....wait....just listen.
Me (looking at agent):
OK, now say that again....but louder.

Agent:

Phone (muffled):
Thud!!!
(sound of person on the other end of the phone falling over due to uncontrolable laughter)

Me:
Wait, wait...don't leave.....I'm going to set up a conference call.

Agent:
I hate this job....

That's how I'd handle it.

Caine

Marrdro
03-23-2008, 07:37 AM
"Caine" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

"Caine" wrote:

Contract EXTENSION?

Are you NUTS?!?!?!?
Based upon WHAT????

WRONG!!!!!

Just one.

You can't.

Seriously?

Bollinger can do THAT.

Contract extension?

Caine

LOL.

Just one.

I know how I'd handle it...

Agent:

Me:
What?

Agent:

THUD!!!
(Sound of me falling to the floor, doubled over by uncontrolable laughing)

...30 minutes later, after I've caught my breath.

Me (on the phone):
No, seriously, come on over here....you've GOT to hear this.....wait....just listen.
Me (looking at agent):
OK, now say that again....but louder.

Agent:

Phone (muffled):
Thud!!!
(sound of person on the other end of the phone falling over due to uncontrolable laughter)

Me:
Wait, wait...don't leave.....I'm going to set up a conference call.

Agent:
I hate this job....

That's how I'd handle it.

Caine

LOL.
Again, your on a roll today.
;D

Schutz
03-23-2008, 09:06 PM
"Marrdro" wrote:

"Caine" wrote:

Contract EXTENSION?
Are you NUTS?!?!?!?
Based upon WHAT????

WRONG!!!!!

Just one.

You can't.

Seriously?

Bollinger can do THAT.

Contract extension?

Caine

LOL.

Just one.

So he gets an extension based on the fact that he hasn't accomplished anything other than like you said...........nothing.
The only highlights of his 2 year career are not losing games?
I mean we can disagree about whether the man becomes a serviceable starter in the NFL, but he's not going to make anything more than back-up money unless his level of play makes a HUGE leap.

kevoncox
03-23-2008, 10:52 PM
"Schutz" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

"Caine" wrote:

Contract EXTENSION?

Are you NUTS?!?!?!?
Based upon WHAT????

WRONG!!!!!

Just one.

You can't.

Seriously?

Bollinger can do THAT.

Contract extension?

Caine

LOL.

Just one.

So he gets an extension based on the fact that he hasn't accomplished anything other than like you said...........nothing.
I mean we can disagree about whether the man becomes a serviceable starter in the NFL, but he's not going to make anything more than back-up money unless his level of play makes a HUGE leap.

We are the Vikes...Having below QB play is acceptable becaus ehe have a great run game. Why would we go out an try to get a great Qb and passing game to make our team unstoppable and win a few Superbowls?

nephilimstorm
03-23-2008, 11:32 PM
"kevoncox" wrote:

"Schutz" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

"Caine" wrote:

Contract EXTENSION?

Are you NUTS?!?!?!?
Based upon WHAT????

WRONG!!!!!

Just one.

You can't.

Seriously?

Bollinger can do THAT.

Contract extension?

Caine

LOL.

Just one.

We are the Vikes...Having below QB play is acceptable becaus ehe have a great run game. Why would we go out an try to get a great Qb and passing game to make our team unstoppable and win a few Superbowls?

Exactly, good post and agree with you, I do. Can we please win a super bowl or two or four...geesh...what wonderful QB play. I said it then and will say it now...get a pocket passer...

Overlord
03-24-2008, 12:57 AM
"kevoncox" wrote:

Okay, I'm on board on the whole, "way too early for an extension" thing.
But let's be fair.
It's not like the team is out looking for a subpar QB.
Great QB's don't grow on trees, to use an old cliche poorly.
If we knew where we could get one we would.

Face it, there are only a few teams with great QBs in the NFL today, and none of them won the Super Bowl this year.

I hope Tarvaris turns out to be great.
If he doesn't, I hope his replacement is.
Maybe we draft a great QB this year.
But the chances aren't great for any of them.
If we don't get a great QB, I hope we can win with an okay QB.

Marrdro
03-24-2008, 07:06 AM
"Schutz" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

"Caine" wrote:

Contract EXTENSION?

Are you NUTS?!?!?!?
Based upon WHAT????

WRONG!!!!!

Just one.

You can't.

Seriously?

Bollinger can do THAT.

Contract extension?

Caine

LOL.

Just one.

You seem to really dislike the guy.
All he has done is learn on the field in front of our eyes instead of carrying a clip board.
He hasn't buckled under pressure and become a nut case like some thought he would.
He had a few bad games like most believed he would and he has shown flashes but to say he hasn't shown "Nothing" is a bit of a reach.

He's shown that he is a kid that wasn't NFL ready, is a willing student, plays hard and learns at a quicker pace than most thought and if push comes to shove, hasn't done all that bad considering his background and experience.

All I'm saying is that sometime this year or during the offseason next year this kid is either gonna get a
contract from the Vikes or he will become a FA.
Seems you would be happy it wouldn't be with the Vikes but I really believe that is gonna be unlikely.

Regardless, he is gonna get paid and it isn't for "backup" money.
Only time will tell.
I suspect this thread will get dredged up within a twelve month window and we will see who was right and who gets one of these.....

http://jonreid.blogs.com/oneanother/eat-crow.jpg

My guess would be that there are gonna be alot of people that will be putting thier bibs on this year.
;D

Marrdro
03-24-2008, 07:16 AM
"kevoncox" wrote:

"Schutz" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

"Caine" wrote:

Contract EXTENSION?

Are you NUTS?!?!?!?
Based upon WHAT????

WRONG!!!!!

Just one.

You can't.

Seriously?

Bollinger can do THAT.

Contract extension?

Caine

LOL.

Just one.

Small rant not pointed at you Kevon.

Why is everyone so fixated on TJ being a "Great" QB.
Someone count how many "Great" QB's are in the league right now.

It would be great if TJ evolved into a "Great" QB but I don't think that is gonna happen nor is there alot on here who believe it will happen.

I am only hoping he evolves into what almost every team gets buy with in the NFL and that is a QB who can make sound decisions with the football, plays within the scheme and doesn't make a whole hell of alot of mistakes.

My guess is that over this offseason the coaching staff will review over and over again every throw he made or didn't make last year, he will learn from those mistakes or successes and he will be a better QB for it.

Funny how there are a select few on this site that refuse to admit that the kid played better than expected last year (NO HE WASN'T GREAT) and there is a slim chance that he might play better than expected this year.
All they want to dwell on are the obvious mistakes that a kid made while he learned on the field and try to say what a piece of pooh he is.

Banish the thought that fans would pull for a guy to succeed instead of fail to further an arguement.
;D

Marrdro
03-24-2008, 07:19 AM
"Overlord" wrote:

"kevoncox" wrote:

Okay, I'm on board on the whole, "way too early for an extension" thing.
But let's be fair.
It's not like the team is out looking for a subpar QB.
Great QB's don't grow on trees, to use an old cliche poorly.
If we knew where we could get one we would.

Face it, there are only a few teams with great QBs in the NFL today, and none of them won the Super Bowl this year.

I hope Tarvaris turns out to be great.
If he doesn't, I hope his replacement is.
Maybe we draft a great QB this year.
But the chances aren't great for any of them.
If we don't get a great QB, I hope we can win with an okay QB.

BINGO.......Give that man a cookie.

Finally someone who has a clue.
;D
;D
;D

Overlord
03-24-2008, 10:49 AM
"Marrdro" wrote:

All I'm saying is that sometime this year or during the offseason next year this kid is either gonna get a
Seems you would be happy it wouldn't be with the Vikes but I really believe that is gonna be unlikely.

Feel free to bring this back up if I'm wrong, but I believe there is NO WAY that he signs an extension before the end of this season.
The earliest that he might sign an extension is during the offseason next year, and that is unlikely.
I believe that an extension might be worked on during the 2009 season.
The key dates to look for an extension are October 2009 - February 2010.

Also, I believe that there is NO WAY that Tarvaris gets cut next year to becomes a free agent.
Rookie contracts are way too cheap to cut someone with starting experience.
At the very least he would serve as a 3rd string QB.
He may become a free agent in the spring of 2010 after his contract expires, but only if he does poorly the next two years.
Even then, he might be brought back.

V4L
03-24-2008, 10:50 AM
"Overlord" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

Feel free to bring this back up if I'm wrong, but I believe there is NO WAY that he signs an extension before the end of this season.
The earliest that he might sign an extension is during the offseason next year, and that is unlikely.

Also, I believe that there is NO WAY that Tarvaris gets cut next year to becomes a free agent.
He may become a free agent in the spring of 2010 after his contract expires, but only if he does poorly the next two years.

I totally agree homie

Marrdro
03-24-2008, 11:49 AM
"Overlord" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

No one said anything about cutting him next year.
The discussion is what happens when his contract is due or if his agent comes a calling as well as what is the opinion that the Vikes might try to ink a deal early in an effort to save some money.

That latter option is centered on the premise that they see enough in the kid to go ahead and use his stats (or lack thereof) as a bargaining chip to get him at a reduced price.
(All speculation of course) Or do they wait until after this season and go into his last contract year (2009) and then bargain with him then and take the chance he doesn't somehow evolve into the QB that we all want him to be.

Here is some discussion on when a few pages ago related to when his contract is up.

Why would they?

mountainviking
03-24-2008, 12:31 PM
IMHO he'd have to do really, really well to earn an early contract extension.
And, depending on how well, his agent might decide to wait and see if they can drive up the price anyway.
Doesn't seem to me the type of guy thats going to threaten or holdout...actually, I think he appreciates the chance he's been given.

All that said, I don't see much chance of a third year QB approaching his 16th start lighting up the league to the point of getting a huge contract.
Likely better, but still learning.
Chances are he gets a deal like Romo's with some extra incentives, and its a bargain, cuz it gets signed 1.5 years from now...after the price has gone up again.

Schutz
03-24-2008, 02:14 PM
"Marrdro" wrote:

"Schutz" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

"Caine" wrote:

Contract EXTENSION?
Are you NUTS?!?!?!?
Based upon WHAT????

WRONG!!!!!

Just one.

You can't.

Seriously?

Bollinger can do THAT.

Contract extension?

Caine

LOL.

Just one.

All he has done is learn on the field in front of our eyes instead of carrying a clip board.
He hasn't buckled under pressure and become a nut case like some thought he would.
He had a few bad games like most believed he would and he has shown flashes but to say he hasn't shown "Nothing" is a bit of a reach.

He's shown that he is a kid that wasn't NFL ready, is a willing student, plays hard and learns at a quicker pace than most thought and if push comes to shove, hasn't done all that bad considering his background and experience.

Only time will tell.
I suspect this thread will get dredged up within a twelve month window and we will see who was right and who gets one of these.....

My guess would be that there are gonna be alot of people that will be putting thier bibs on this year.
;D

I don't hate him Mar, I just keep pointing out that he's accomplished LESS than such QBs as Quincy Carter and company and unless he steps up he's not going to make anything other than backup money.
Show me, show me what he's done that will make him more of a commodity than Quincy Carter?
Heck I believe he's only going to be a restricted free agent anyways so we can just put the big tag on him and get a 1st and a 3rd like all the teams that lined up for Derek Anderson after having a good year.

Indeed my friend there is going to be more crow then we'll know what to do with by the end of this season.
And I have a feeling one way or another T-Jack will the "prized example" of one side or the other.
Only time will tell who's backing the right horse.

Marrdro
03-24-2008, 02:15 PM
"Schutz" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

"Schutz" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

"Caine" wrote:

Contract EXTENSION?

Are you NUTS?!?!?!?
Based upon WHAT????

WRONG!!!!!

Just one.

You can't.

Seriously?

Bollinger can do THAT.

Contract extension?

Caine

LOL.

Just one.

Only time will tell.

;D

I don't hate him Mar, I just keep pointing out that he's accomplished LESS than such QBs as Quincy Carter and company and unless he steps up he's not going to make anything other than backup money.
Show me, show me what he's done that will make him more of a commodity than Quincy Carter?
Heck I believe he's only going to be a restricted free agent anyways so we can just put the big tag on him and get a 1st and a 3rd like all the teams that lined up for Derek Anderson after having a good year.

Indeed my friend there is going to be more crow then we'll know what to do with by the end of this season.
And I have a feeling one way or another T-Jack will the "prized example" of one side or the other.
Only time will tell who's backing the right horse.
LOL, you noticed how I left that as an open door item. ;D

Overlord
03-24-2008, 02:38 PM
"Schutz" wrote:

Just wanted to clear this up.
As far as I can tell, Tarvaris will not be eligible to be a restricted free agent because he will have four accrued seasons when his contract expires.
Here's an excert from a Lions page (link (http://www.detroitlions.com/document_display.cfm?document_id=455810)):

Q -- What is the difference between a restricted free agent and an unrestricted free agent?

A -- Players become restricted free agents when they complete three accrued seasons and their contract expires.
Unrestricted free agents have completed four or more accrued seasons with an expired contract.

Q -- What constitutes an "accrued season?"

A -- Six or more regular-season games on a club's active/inactive, reserved-injured or "physically unable to perform" lists.

Players are almost never extended if they are going to become a restricted free agent, because it's such a deal for the team in terms of cost and flexibility.

Marrdro
03-24-2008, 02:41 PM
"Overlord" wrote:

"Schutz" wrote:

Just wanted to clear this up.
As far as I can tell, Tarvaris will not be eligible to be a restricted free agent because he will have four accrued seasons when his contract expires.
Here's an excert from a Lions page (link (http://www.detroitlions.com/document_display.cfm?document_id=455810)):

Q -- What is the difference between a restricted free agent and an unrestricted free agent?

A -- Players become restricted free agents when they complete three accrued seasons and their contract expires.
Unrestricted free agents have completed four or more accrued seasons with an expired contract.

Q -- What constitutes an "accrued season?"

A -- Six or more regular-season games on a club's active/inactive, reserved-injured or "physically unable to perform" lists.

Players are almost never extended if they are going to become a restricted free agent, because it's such a deal for the team in terms of cost and flexibility.

Very interesting my friend.
Thanks.

ThorSPL
03-24-2008, 04:23 PM
I liked the "faith" response.... it made me laugh.

I wanted to come up with this grand post, but basically it comes down to this:

Our belief in T-Jack is based on faith with limited actual data to go on...
We are expected to have "faith" in T-Jack's development.
Therefore, all real fans should have faith, as we all want to win.
Religious people also should have faith.
Religous people should believe in "a" God (choose your God, not being picky)
Therefore, if you believe in a God, you should believe in T-Jack if you are a Vikings fan.

[/B]So, if you believe in a God, you should believe in T-Jack.[/B]

I know there are holes in my theory, but I think it's a winner.

***for the record, I DO support T-Jack***