PDA

View Full Version : How Do You Think The Defense Will Do In 08?

V4L
03-15-2008, 07:39 PM
Barring no Changes this is how I see the starters and possible production.. Feel free to post your own predictions

DEFENSIVE LINE

Brian Robison- 40 tackles & 6 sacks
Kevin Williams- 65 tackles & 5 sacks
Pat Williams- 85 tackles & 2 sacks
Ray Edwards- 35 tackles & 8 sacks

LINEBACKERS

Ben Leber- 65 tackles & 4 Sacks & 1 Interceptions
EJ Henderson- 125 Tackles & 3 Sacks & 2 Interceptions
Chad Greenway- 100 Tackles & 2 Sacks & 2 Interceptions

DEFENSIVE BACKS

Antoine Winfield- 80 Tackles & 4 Interceptions
Cedric Griffin- 65 Tackles & 5 Interceptions & 1 Sack
Darren Sharper- 50 Tackles & 4 Interceptions & 1 Sack
Madieu Williams- 70 Tackles & 2 Interceptions & 2 Sacks

V4L
03-15-2008, 07:43 PM
I have high hopes yes

It all seems fairly logical though

singersp
03-15-2008, 08:39 PM
The KAD will be ready come opening day.

Marrdro
03-16-2008, 08:10 AM
"V4L" wrote:

Barring no Changes this is how I see the starters and possible production.. Feel free to post your own predictions

DEFENSIVE LINE

LINEBACKERS

DEFENSIVE BACKS

Wow those are some big numbers.
Here is what they got last year.......

http://www.nfl.com/teams/minnesotavikings/statistics?team=MIN
Player

Tot
Solo
Assist
Sck
Fumb

E.J. Henderson

Cedric Griffin

Chad Greenway

Antoine Winfield

Marcus McCauley

Ben Leber

Darren Sharper

Pat Williams

Charles Gordon

Kevin Williams

Ray Edwards

Brian Robison

Jayme Mitchell

Erasmus James

I would think that guys like Mitchell and Frampton should see increases in thier numbers because the will see the field more but I don't see guys like Kevin Williams getting a jump from 38 to to 65.

My guess is we will see about the same numbers this year with a few more sacks from our ends.
Not saying our guys are gonna stay the same or are crappy, my rationale is that the offense will stay on the field more this year which will have an impact on our Defenses production.

By the way, anyone notice Winnys and McCauleys numbers?
Pretty damn close if you ask me.
Wonder why everyone seems to think our CB's are for shit but keep saying how Winny is our best CB?

Hmmmmm, wonder what I'm missing here.
::)

ultravikingfan
03-16-2008, 09:18 AM
I do not think we are going to make the transition into a Defense that can shutdown the pass.
Although I thinl we will do better, I still see this as our biggest weakness.

NodakPaul
03-16-2008, 09:36 AM
"ultravikingfan" wrote:

I do not think we are going to make the transition into a Defense that can shutdown the pass.

It will be our biggest weakness in 2008, yes.
But that is a relative measurement.

People like to point out that last year we were last in the league in passing yards per game, but don't mention the fact that we were first or second in the league for number of times thrown against - a byproduct of us being #1 against the run.
Our averages speak more about our passing D.
We were 11th in the league in points per game, and 6th in the league in TDs given up.
That tells me that the bend-don't-break idea of our passing D is working.

http://jsonline.stats.com/fb/teamstats.asp?yr=2008&tm=16&btnGo=Go&type=teamhome

It still has room to improve, but they are not a bad pass D or even in the bottom half by any means.

Marrdro
03-16-2008, 09:43 AM
"NodakPaul" wrote:

"ultravikingfan" wrote:

People like to point out that last year we were last in the league in passing yards per game, but don't mention the fact that we were first or second in the league for number of times thrown against - a byproduct of us being #1 against the run.
We were 11th in the league in points per game, and 6th in the league in TDs given up.

It still has room to improve, but they are not a bad pass D or even in the bottom half by any means.

Can you imagine how much better it will be next year when we get say 5-10 more sacks and we are ranked higher than 8th.
;D

Bet we'll see passing yards go down, INT's go up and points allowed go down as well.

By the way, I am still amazed we were ranked 8th in sacks.
Very suprising.
;D

VikingMike
03-16-2008, 11:05 AM
"Marrdro" wrote:

"NodakPaul" wrote:

"ultravikingfan" wrote:

Can you imagine how much better it will be next year when we get say 5-10 more sacks and we are ranked higher than 8th.

;D

Bet we'll see passing yards go down, INT's go up and points allowed go down as well.

Very suprising.

;D

If we get a top-notch DE (Taylor) and another good one in the draft, we will be much improved against the pass, without losing anything v. the run.

Marrdro
03-16-2008, 11:10 AM
"VikingMike" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

"NodakPaul" wrote:

"ultravikingfan" wrote:

;D

Very suprising.

;D

If we get a top-notch DE (Taylor) and another good one in the draft, we will be much improved against the pass, without losing anything v. the run.

Lets not forget that a few of our guys are/were pretty young last year. They should also improve a bit.

91 Ray Edwards DE 23 6-5 268 2 Purdue
73 Otis Grigsby DE 27 6-3 260 2 Kentucky
99 Erasmus James DE 25 6-4 266 3 Wisconsin
92 Jayme Mitchell DE 24 6-6 285 2 Mississippi
96 Brian Robison DE 24 6-3 267 R Texas

Lets hope James gets back this year.

VikingMike
03-16-2008, 11:19 AM
"Marrdro" wrote:

"VikingMike" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

"NodakPaul" wrote:

"ultravikingfan" wrote:

;D

Very suprising.

;D

Lets not forget that a few of our guys are/were pretty young last year. They should also improve a bit.

Lets hope James gets back this year.

Gotcha...I love idea of having fresh legs on the D-line...pressure, pressue, pressure.

V4L
03-16-2008, 11:39 AM
McCauley and Winny had simular stats yes

It was because Winny was hurt.. And McCauley always got passed on and they would get it so he would tackle them immediately

He is no where near Winny's level.. He looked lost out there

Matter of fact the only 2 that didn't look lost were Winny and Charles Gordan

Marrdro
03-16-2008, 12:07 PM
"V4L" wrote:

It was because Winny was hurt.. And McCauley always got passed on and they would get it so he would tackle them immediately

Hmmmm, I hear ya and that makes a bit of sense, but how many games was Winny out and how many reps did McCauley get with Winny out.

Just seems to me that his numbers are pretty good all things considered.

By the way, you think a rookie wouldn't look lost out there at times?
Hell I think Gordon still looked a bit lost at times as well and it was his second year.

Truth be told, I really like all 3 of our young corners especially Gordon.

skum
03-16-2008, 12:14 PM
"Marrdro" wrote:

"V4L" wrote:

Hmmmm, I hear ya and that makes a bit of sense, but how many games was Winny out and how many reps did McCauley get with Winny out.

Hell I think Gordon still looked a bit lost at times as well and it was his second year.

How about we run the 5-5-1 and sign Dovonte to play the lone DB?

Marrdro
03-16-2008, 12:15 PM
"skum" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

"V4L" wrote:

How about we run the 5-5-1 and sign Dovonte to play the lone DB?

LOL.
Now were talking.
If you really look at em though most of our secondary are pretty flexible.

VikesfaninWis
03-16-2008, 12:34 PM
I actually like the idea of having Edwards, and Robison as the opening day starters at DE.. I love Robison's work ethic, and he goes non stop until the ball is out, or the QB is on the ground.. Edwards is another one I like a lot.. It was a shame that he got suspended for the last 4 games of the season, and I am looking for him to put up great numbers next season..

I love what Leber has brought to this team since coming here in free agency.. Henderson is awesome as our MLB, and Greenway was great in his first full season playing in the NFL.. If both Leber and Henderson continue to do their thing, and Greenway gets even better which I am sure he will, we will have one of the best LB crews in the league..

I would like to see the Vikings put Sharper back as a FS.. He had his most success in his career as a FS.. Madieu Williams is a huge upgrade over Smith.. Not to mention that Williams can play both safety spots, but also CB if needed.. What I like about him is he is a great cover safety, so no more of this giving 10 yards with no bumping like we saw from Smith.. Williams will get some picks next season no doubt.. Put Sharper back at FS and Williams at SS..

I like our DL.. I hope that Edwards and Robison are given the chance to start at DE.. The Williams boys are very good.. I am looking for big things from or defense next season, and hopefully many years after that..

Marrdro
03-16-2008, 12:39 PM
"VikesfaninWis" wrote:

I actually like the idea of having Edwards, and Robison as the opening day starters at DE.. I love Robison's work ethic, and he goes non stop until the ball is out, or the QB is on the ground.. Edwards is another one I like a lot.. It was a shame that he got suspended for the last 4 games of the season, and I am looking for him to put up great numbers next season..

I love what Leber has brought to this team since coming here in free agency.. Henderson is awesome as our MLB, and Greenway was great in his first full season playing in the NFL.. If both Leber and Henderson continue to do their thing, and Greenway gets even better which I am sure he will, we will have one of the best LB crews in the league..

I would like to see the Vikings put Sharper back as a FS.. He had his most success in his career as a FS.. Madieu Williams is a huge upgrade over Smith.. Not to mention that Williams can play both safety spots, but also CB if needed.. What I like about him is he is a great cover safety, so no more of this giving 10 yards with no bumping like we saw from Smith.. Williams will get some picks next season no doubt.. Put Sharper back at FS and Williams at SS..

I like our DL.. I hope that Edwards and Robison are given the chance to start at DE.. The Williams boys are very good.. I am looking for big things from or defense next season, and hopefully many years after that..

Nice post my friend.

I like them both as well but only one can start.
They are both RDE's. I expect we will see them both on the field at the same time though during passing situations.
1 and RDE and 1 at LDE and Mitchell to the inside if Phat Pat comes out.

It appears that if all comes out as we stand now it will be

Edwards/Robison/Grisby (Don't know James status yet).
Phat/Evans
Phat Pat/Rookie
Mitchell/Rookie

VikingsMB
03-16-2008, 12:42 PM
"VikesfaninWis" wrote:

Both Edwards and Robison have great potential but they still lack that "leadership" ability.
Not too many young guns will have that until the proven veteran steps out for a game or two and that "young gun" steps up.
Look at what Strahan did for NYG when he came back.
Guys will follow the guy that is pummeling the QB.
The Vikes are looking good to start in 08 with what they have but without that proven pass rusher, it's going to be the same thing as last year...hoping the secondary can pick off more than the opposing teams score.

jessejames09
03-16-2008, 12:58 PM
"Marrdro" wrote:

"VikesfaninWis" wrote:

Nice post my friend.

They are both RDE's. I expect we will see them both on the field at the same time though during passing situations.

Phat/Evans
Phat Pat/Rookie
Mitchell/Rookie

Robison played on the left just as much as Mitchell last season. He started playing predominantly on the right after Erasmus went down again I believe. Plus we all know he's powerful, he plays big. Plus he could easily put on a few pounds for next season if we're sore at LE. A few pounds isn't enough to take off the better football player imo.

I just don't see how Mitchell has earned the start, when the coaching staff clearly favors Robison.

So Ill throw this out in rebuttal. Next seasons DL;

Edwards/Rookie or affordable vet FA/Grisby (Wouldn't be surprised if Erasmus gets axed after training camp)
Phat Pat/Evans
KW/Rookie or affordable vet FA
B-Rob/Mitchell

Marrdro
03-16-2008, 01:53 PM
"jessejames09" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

"VikesfaninWis" wrote:

Nice post my friend.

Phat/Evans
Phat Pat/Rookie
Mitchell/Rookie

Robison played on the left just as much as Mitchell last season. He started playing predominantly on the right after Erasmus went down again I believe. Plus we all know he's powerful, he plays big. Plus he could easily put on a few pounds for next season if we're sore at LE. A few pounds isn't enough to take off the better football player imo.

I just don't see how Mitchell has earned the start, when the coaching staff clearly favors Robison.
So Ill throw this out in rebuttal. Next seasons DL;

Edwards/Rookie or affordable vet FA/Grisby (Wouldn't be surprised if Erasmus gets axed after training camp)
Phat Pat/Evans
KW/Rookie or affordable vet FA
B-Rob/Mitchell

Actually you saw Rob play LDE when they were trying to get at the QB in passing situations were he did pretty good.

Problem is that he is a bit light to play everydown at that position and has nothing to do with who the coaches like or dislike.
More of a ability to standup to the reps/punishment he would have to endure against the RT/TE that the positions normally gets. As I've said before on here numerous times, traditionally the RDE is around 260ish and the LDE is around 280ish.

You might be right, he could add a few pounds to get to that weight, but players normally already put on weight when the transition from college to pro.
If they add to much you will see thier knees start breaking down as well as other complications.
Lots of articles out there on that subject that are a pretty interesting study.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/news/specialreports/specialnfl/s_291051.html

Again, not saying he can't add the wieght, just not a big fan of them doing it especially based on his frame. (6'3").
If he was a bit taller then I would'nt even worry about it.
Here is a link that is from a pretty reputable site that shows his combine wieght last year at 259.

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/profile.php?pyid=8812

V4L
03-16-2008, 05:58 PM
Wow liking what Im seein!!

Keep the posts coming

Del Rio
03-16-2008, 06:24 PM
We had lots of production in creating turnovers and scoring on defense. If we can develop a solid pass rush the sky is the limit. If we can get pressure without blitzing then I would start to get excited. Blitzing every other play really doesnt do shit if you cant get to the guy, well I guess it does do something it gets your ass handed to you.

purplepowered
03-16-2008, 06:30 PM
I would like to have at least the same if not the better of what we had last year.

Marrdro
03-16-2008, 06:30 PM
"Del" wrote:

We had lots of production in creating turnovers and scoring on defense. If we can develop a solid pass rush the sky is the limit. If we can get pressure without blitzing then I would start to get excited. Blitzing every other play really doesnt do pooh if you cant get to the guy, well I guess it does do something it gets your jiggly butt handed to you.

Glad to see some sanity back again.
;D

Hard to believe that as bad as most of us thought our pass rush was last year we were ranked 8th in the leadue in sacks.
Problem was, that isn't a bad stat, alot of those sacks came from non-DLmen.

You enamored with any of the FA left?

cogitans
03-16-2008, 06:40 PM
"Del" wrote:

We had lots of production in creating turnovers and scoring on defense. If we can develop a solid pass rush the sky is the limit. If we can get pressure without blitzing then I would start to get excited. Blitzing every other play really doesnt do shit if you cant get to the guy, well I guess it does do something it gets your ass handed to you.
Too bad that between the KU thing, and all the strikeouts on FAs, we're moving in the wrong direction in relation to our no. 1 need

VikingMike
03-16-2008, 07:26 PM
"Marrdro" wrote:

"Del" wrote:

We had lots of production in creating turnovers and scoring on defense. If we can develop a solid pass rush the sky is the limit. If we can get pressure without blitzing then I would start to get excited. Blitzing every other play really doesnt do pooh if you cant get to the guy, well I guess it does do something it gets your jiggly butt handed to you.

;D

Hard to believe that as bad as most of us thought our pass rush was last year we were ranked 8th in the leadue in sacks.

I want QB pressure...I don't really get very excited about sacks, although everyone looks at that stat to determine our D-line's success. Honestly I would love intense pressure collapsing the pocket and the ensuing mayhem leading to a hurry or a pick or a fumble. If I see that consistently, it will work like viagra for me every time. ;D

Marrdro
03-16-2008, 07:37 PM
"VikingMike" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

"Del" wrote:

;D

I want QB pressure...I don't really get very excited about sacks, although everyone looks at that stat to determine our D-line's success. Honestly I would love intense pressure collapsing the pocket and the ensuing mayhem leading to a hurry or a pick or a fumble. If I see that consistently, it will work like viagra for me every time. ;D

I like a good sack right along with the next guy but a tackle for loss makes me just want to drink more beer.
;D

NodakPaul
03-16-2008, 07:39 PM
"VikingMike" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

"Del" wrote:

;D

Agreed,
there are lots of ways to measure DL success, sacks is just one of them.
I would love to see our guys consistently getting at the QB.
Even if they don't get the sack, when a QB finishes every play on his back, he starts to make mistakes.

jkjuggalo
03-16-2008, 07:56 PM
I think we will surprisingly go for a couple defensive players high in the draft this year.
We all know that we need a DE, but I think we will still take a safety in the first 3 rounds to be Sharper's eventual successor.
Don't be surprised if we take a DT early as well as Fred Evans is our primary backup for the Williams brothers.
I like Dre Moore from Maryland as a potential pick for us.

If we add some depth/starters on defense in the draft this year, I think we will have a top 10 defense as far as turnovers and points allowed.
If we add a dominating pass-rusher (hopefully Harvey or Groves) then we will be top 10 in total yard allowed too.

midgensa
03-16-2008, 08:00 PM
I think we will be very happy with our defensive progress this year, but we will still have some problems against the pass. We still have risk-taking safeties with Sharper and Williams, but if Winfield is back and healthy then our corner play should be better and we should improve in the secondary. The loss of Kenechi is going to be felt for sure, but I think that we draft a DE more than likely. Unfortunately, with a rook DE and with Robison (out against the run) and Edwards (also not great against the run) our run defense may actually look a little more human, but hopefully our ends can get a little more pressure on the QB.
I expect a top 12 defense or so, hopefully balanced out by a much improved scoring offense.

Marrdro
03-16-2008, 08:35 PM
"midgensa" wrote:

I think we will be very happy with our defensive progress this year, but we will still have some problems against the pass. We still have risk-taking safeties with Sharper and Williams, but if Winfield is back and healthy then our corner play should be better and we should improve in the secondary. The loss of Kenechi is going to be felt for sure, but I think that we draft a DE more than likely. Unfortunately, with a rook DE and with Robison (out against the run) and Edwards (also not great against the run) our run defense may actually look a little more human, but hopefully our ends can get a little more pressure on the QB.
I expect a top 12 defense or so, hopefully balanced out by a much improved scoring offense.

Very solid post my friend.

I am not totally unhappy with Mitchell at LDE going into the year.
Lets not forget he was young last year and didn't do to bad.
In fact I don't remember him making any bonehead plays.

He will be responsible for stopping the run, holding the edge/containment and then getting after the QB.
I have bigger concerns about what our RDE's and our DT's will do this year.
Who will win the starting job at RDE and can he get a bit of pressure off the edge.
Also, lets not forget how important it is for our DT's to collapse the pocket a bit as well. The gotta make it uncomfortable for that QB and not allow him to step up when the rush does get there from the edge like we saw a few times last year.

As with all the young kids at the DE and our wiley vets at the DT positions, its time to srap it on, get in your stance and bring it.

ktarinze
03-16-2008, 09:03 PM
"V4L" wrote:

DEFENSIVE LINE

LINEBACKERS

DEFENSIVE BACKS

wow that is thinking really high of our defense i hope we get these numbers but i doubt it