PDA

View Full Version : Adrian Peterson Says He Had an 'Average' Rookie Year

singersp
03-11-2008, 06:05 AM
Vikings' Adrian Peterson Says He Had an 'Average' Rookie Year (http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/2008/03/10/vikings-adrian-peterson-says-he-had-an-average-rookie-year/)

Posted Mar 10th 2008 6:27PM

by Michael David Smith
aol.com

Minnesota Vikings running back Adrian Peterson was named the NFL's rookie of the year in 2007, and he set the NFL record for rushing yards in a game. But when asked how he would grade his rookie season, Peterson said "average"...

PurpleTide
03-11-2008, 06:46 AM
Shoot for the moon baby. AD we all love your attitude.

Proud2BPurple
03-11-2008, 07:04 AM
After this year he could have so easily started believing his own hype. This attitude is gonna take this kid far, gotta love it.

ThorSPL
03-11-2008, 07:46 AM
Couldn't agree more...

I hope he continues along the path he has set for himself....

AngloVike
03-11-2008, 07:50 AM
Some 'average' year
! but his attitude is way above average without a doubt. Of course he won't be such an unknown quantity this year but if we can get teams away from 8 in the box then he may just make his 2,000 yard season
;D

BloodyHorns82
03-11-2008, 09:44 AM
"AngloVike" wrote:

Some 'average' year
! but his attitude is way above average without a doubt. Of course he won't be such an unknown quantity this year but if we can get teams away from 8 in the box then he may just make his 2,000 yard season
;D

Detouring the 8-9 men in the box is going to be critical for us this year.
AD was really slowed (compared to the first half) in the later part of the season and I defenitely don't want this trend to continue into next year.

Zeus
03-11-2008, 09:47 AM
"BloodyHorns82" wrote:

"AngloVike" wrote:

Some 'average' year
;D

AD was really slowed (compared to the first half) in the later part of the season and I defenitely don't want this trend to continue into next year.

I discount the 8-9 men-in-the-box theory a tad, however.
I also think a lot of the 2nd-half downturn was due to the length of the NFL season.
Rookies often hit the wall late in the first season.

=Z=

BloodyHorns82
03-11-2008, 09:52 AM
"Zeus" wrote:

"BloodyHorns82" wrote:

"AngloVike" wrote:

Some 'average' year
;D

I also think a lot of the 2nd-half downturn was due to the length of the NFL season.

=Z=

I can't help but wonder how much his knee injury hindered his late season performance as well.
I know it wasn't considered serious but there has got to be a certain level of mental commitment to get over something like that and convince yourself (even the sub consious) that your fine and can utilize it 100%.
I'm sure the knee brace didn't help those few games either.

Marrdro
03-11-2008, 10:39 AM
"BloodyHorns82" wrote:

"Zeus" wrote:

"BloodyHorns82" wrote:

"AngloVike" wrote:

Some 'average' year
;D

=Z=

I can't help but wonder how much his knee injury hindered his late season performance as well.
I know it wasn't considered serious but there has got to be a certain level of mental commitment to get over something like that and convince yourself (even the sub consious) that your fine and can utilize it 100%.

I think that both of you (Z and BH82) are both on the money.
Rookie wall and knee injury probably had alot to do with his decline in production.

Face it, good backs face 8 man fronts all the time and still get yards, just like he did early on in the season.

jmcdon00
03-11-2008, 10:45 AM
"Marrdro" wrote:

"BloodyHorns82" wrote:

"Zeus" wrote:

"BloodyHorns82" wrote:

"AngloVike" wrote:

Some 'average' year
;D

=Z=

Rookie wall and knee injury probably had alot to do with his decline in production.

Face it, good backs face 8 man fronts all the time and still get yards, just like he did early on in the season.

On some plays I think the 8 or 9 man boxes helped peterson because once you get past the first wave it is home free to the endzone. If there is a safety deep it is gonna be harder for Peterson to get the 80 yard tds, but he wont get dragged down for a gain of zero as much either.
I'm not sure what is Petersons best running quality, the way he attacks the line of scrimmage or his vision down field.

jessejames09
03-11-2008, 10:47 AM
"Marrdro" wrote:

"BloodyHorns82" wrote:

"Zeus" wrote:

"BloodyHorns82" wrote:

"AngloVike" wrote:

Some 'average' year
;D

=Z=

Though I've yet to see an NFL team key in on the running game as much as our opponants last season. Both safeties were either already in the box or one was in the box and the other was 5 yards back from the LBs.
Teams could care less if we passed the ball, they had us beat 80% of the time with 1 on 1 coverage. Hell we even beat ourselves on no coverage (Troy & Fergy-Ferg)

kjdaddy
03-11-2008, 10:48 AM
I love this kid!!

hx38596
03-11-2008, 02:17 PM
Take away those two games and he had a worse year than Lynch.
Especially at the end when we really needed him.
He was being honest with his assesment, albiet a bit coy and modest.
Take away the SD and Chicago game, and he had just a so so year.

hx38596
03-11-2008, 02:42 PM
"jmcdon00" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

"BloodyHorns82" wrote:

"Zeus" wrote:

"BloodyHorns82" wrote:

Some 'average' year
;D

=Z=

On some plays I think the 8 or 9 man boxes helped peterson because once you get past the first wave it is home free to the endzone. If there is a safety deep it is gonna be harder for Peterson to get the 80 yard tds, but he wont get dragged down for a gain of zero as much either.
I'm not sure what is Petersons best running quality, the way he attacks the line of scrimmage or his vision down field.

Yeah, 8,9 man fronts.
The key was when you blitz corners as well to take away the edge.
No where to go.
You HAVE to have an offense that can throw against 10 guys blitzing!!

BloodyHorns82
03-11-2008, 02:44 PM
"hx38596" wrote:

"jmcdon00" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

"BloodyHorns82" wrote:

"Zeus" wrote:

Some 'average' year
;D

=Z=

Yeah, 8,9 man fronts.
The key was when you blitz corners as well to take away the edge.
No where to go.
You HAVE to have an offense that can throw against 10 guys blitzing!!

Thats fine...just lob the ball over the top of the line into the open arms of AD who will run that sucker all the way to the promised land since he'll only need to worry about one DB.

Vikes_King
03-11-2008, 04:24 PM
damn i love him... that attitude is amazing.
"yea i got Rookie of the Year, probowl MVP, most rushing yards in a game, etc.
My rookie year was pretty average"

dcboardr41
03-11-2008, 04:28 PM
but if u think about it, he is right
look at how the end of the season went for him
3 yds against sf?
getting hurt?
if he woulda been healthy he would have been rushing yds/tds leader

MetalMike-LoudVike
03-11-2008, 04:33 PM
Great Attitude. I would say he had a helluva a rookie season.

jkjuggalo
03-11-2008, 04:37 PM
He knows that he has a lot of work to do in pass protection and receiving.
I'm sure that and the lousy ending to the season are enough for him to classify his season as average.
It was cool watching him ask Marshall Faulk and Emmitt Smith for advice on what it takes to be one of the best ever.
They both told him that it was all the little things that make the difference.
I hope he tears it up in TC and learns how to block and catch better.

MaxVike
03-11-2008, 04:40 PM
He is a warrior.
Love his attitude, and his comments.
From the heart, a world class athlete challenging himself publicly...this is also a message to the Team coming from a rookie that had significant success, and is clearly stepping up to the plate as a leader.
AD is the MAN!
Stay healthy young fella!

singersp
03-11-2008, 06:36 PM
"Marrdro" wrote:

"BloodyHorns82" wrote:

"Zeus" wrote:

"BloodyHorns82" wrote:

"AngloVike" wrote:

Some 'average' year
;D

=Z=

Yep! I said that earlier in the season, but was scoffed at. How many 8 man fronts has LT seen in his tenure? Tons.

i_bleed_purple
03-11-2008, 07:51 PM
how many teams have sold out against the run with 8 or 9 man fronts against SD almost every play??
not too many.
If they tried that, Brees/Rivers would light it up.
I believe Philly once did that to them and LT only got about 12 yards or something like that.
I truly believe with TJ progressing, and now having a legitimate reciving threat in Berrian, the opposing defenses have to respect the pass at least a little bit, meaning only 7 or sometimes 8 in the box, never 9.

singersp
03-11-2008, 07:53 PM
"i_bleed_purple" wrote:

how many teams have sold out against the run with 8 or 9 man fronts against SD almost every play??
not too many.
If they tried that, Brees/Rivers would light it up.
I believe Philly once did that to them and LT only got about 12 yards or something like that.
I truly believe with TJ progressing, and now having a legitimate reciving threat in Berrian, the opposing defenses have to respect the pass at least a little bit, meaning only 7 or sometimes 8 in the box, never 9.

If last year was average, I hope this year is decent.