PDA

View Full Version : Chad Greenway - Perseverance Pays Off

singersp
03-07-2008, 06:55 AM
Perseverance Pays Off (http://www.vikings.com/NewsArticle_greenwayfeature030608.aspx)

3/6/2008

By Mike Donnelly, NFLPLAYERS.COM

For a rookie to improve, he must learn from his mistakes.

Coaches often refer to this experience as “growing pains,” realizing that by the time the player reaches his second pro year, he will be a more polished product....

Marrdro
03-07-2008, 07:47 AM
Excellent read my friend.
Thanks.

If it takes two years for them to polish thier skills, can you imagine how much better he will be this year and heaven help us in 2009.
:o

BloodyHorns82
03-07-2008, 09:44 AM
Very nice read...

He accomplished quite a bit in his first season in the NFL.
The best part is he should only be better this year!

i_bleed_purple
03-07-2008, 10:19 AM
Great Read...
I look forward to seeing what he can do next year.
I'm glad we picked him up, because it looks like he could be one of those guys who could turn into the face of our defense, LIke Urlacher.

And you guys wanted Ernie Simms

kevoncox
03-07-2008, 10:54 AM
"i_bleed_purple" wrote:

Great Read...
I look forward to seeing what he can do next year.
I'm glad we picked him up, because it looks like he could be one of those guys who could turn into the face of our defense, LIke Urlacher.

And you guys wanted Ernie Simms

Yes becuse sims sucks
:P ::)

MetalMike-LoudVike
03-07-2008, 11:47 AM
Greenway, just stayed hungry waited to get back and show the competition just what he has and you know he's only gonna be better. Good article

kevoncox
03-07-2008, 12:10 PM
"MetalMike-LoudVike" wrote:

Greenway, just stayed hungry waited to get back and show the competition just what he has and you know he's only gonna be better. Good article

He played well last year. Which is huge because coming back from an injury leaves alot of players timid. When i broker my foot in college, I had a phobia about jumping for about 8 months after my cast came off (I broke my leg trying to dunk on Darion Barnes) Good luck Greenway.

ThorSPL
03-07-2008, 03:23 PM
Sims is a very good linebacker, we can't sit here and say he sucks....
He does have concussion issues and I have a feeling those will end up haunting him in the long run.

I like our guy; he's local his character seems to be be top notch.... and he's a hell of a player; did I mention that?

VikingMike
03-07-2008, 11:18 PM
"ThorSPL" wrote:

He does have concussion issues and I have a feeling those will end up haunting him in the long run.

I like our guy; he's local his character seems to be be top notch.... and he's a hell of a player; did I mention that?

I like him too...and a good thing he decided to rehab in Minnesota, not Florida. :)

cogitans
03-08-2008, 02:47 AM
He had a pretty good year in 2007, and he'll only get better.

I like our LB starters, maybe we just need some backup. I think the loss of DT were pretty big.

Marrdro
03-08-2008, 05:36 AM
"cogitans" wrote:

He had a pretty good year in 2007, and he'll only get better.

I like our LB starters, maybe we just need some backup. I think the loss of DT were pretty big.

Lets hope Rufus followed the same rehab track that Chad did and studied the same tape.

VikingsTw
03-08-2008, 11:58 AM
Greenway did real well this year, if can get stronger its only gonna help his game, thats the biggest complaint I got with Greenway. Too many times guys are able to fight through his tackles. Of course we are all a little spoiled with EJ's naturaul strength.

This was a very good draft pick, high character guy who works extremely hard. Not all guys approach rehab the same way but knowing Greenways work ethic and motivation he came back and had a really nice year. Not easy to do, especailly since he was basically a rookie.

I'm with you Marrdro I hope Rufus comes back strong. Now that DT is gone he was be relied on.

jessejames09
03-08-2008, 01:21 PM
I think Chad will have a break out season next year. When he's around the ball he makes plays and this was his first season playing in the NFL. He should have a much better understanding having 17 games under his belt.

KrackerJack
03-08-2008, 01:30 PM
Chad is a very hard working player, and doesn't quit fighting, he is truly one of my favorite players.
He had a pretty solid season in 2007, i only think he'll grow, and i think eventually he will emerge into one of the leagues better linebackers in the upcoming seasons, i really do think this guy will eventually be one of our best players in years to come, especially if he continues to keep working hard like he does.

jmcdon00
03-08-2008, 01:53 PM
"VikingsTw" wrote:

Greenway did real well this year, if can get stronger its only gonna help his game, thats the biggest complaint I got with Greenway. Too many times guys are able to fight through his tackles. Of course we are all a little spoiled with EJ's naturaul strength.

This was a very good draft pick, high character guy who works extremely hard. Not all guys approach rehab the same way but knowing Greenways work ethic and motivation he came back and had a really nice year. Not easy to do, especailly since he was basically a rookie.

I'm with you Marrdro I hope Rufus comes back strong. Now that DT is gone he was be relied on.

I think it is still to early to say it was a very good draft pick. He has missed half of his games(2006 season) due to injury. I do agree that he had a good 07 season and if he stays healthy and improves he will end up being a great addition by the vikings.

Marrdro
03-08-2008, 02:41 PM
"jmcdon00" wrote:

"VikingsTw" wrote:

I think it is still to early to say it was a very good draft pick. He has missed half of his games(2006 season) due to injury. I do agree that he had a good 07 season and if he stays healthy and improves he will end up being a great addition by the vikings.

I'd say one year of starting equates to good.

2, 3, and 4 years like last year equates to a hell of lot better.
;D

jmcdon00
03-08-2008, 03:06 PM
"Marrdro" wrote:

"jmcdon00" wrote:

"VikingsTw" wrote:

I'd say one year of starting equates to good.

2, 3, and 4 years like last year equates to a hell of lot better.

;D

If he came off the bench for the other season then it would be good, but he missed the entire 2006 season, that is not a good thing.

Vikes_King
03-10-2008, 03:36 PM
"ThorSPL" wrote:

as i've said before, since Greenway is a small town guy himself, he is often seen at training camp picking up trash around the fields, which is pretty wierd seeing a pro athlete do lol.

But the real sign of character i've seen here in Mankato about Mr. Greenway, was after practice.
Theres a fence near the locker rooms where fans line up trying to get autographs from players heading to the showers.
There was a young boy, couldnt have been more than 8 years old, trying to just see the players go by.
Two kids probably about 16 or so, push the small kid away from the fence so they can get closer and yell to Chad for an autograph.
A guy next to the small boy kind of helps him back up to the front, and gives him his spot by the fence.
Greenway sees this, comes over, and as the two guys that pushed him away begged for autographs, Chad signed a football for the small boy, gave the guy that helped him a handshake and autograph, and told the other two they weren't getting anything from him because of what they did.

AngloVike
03-10-2008, 03:57 PM
"Vikes_King" wrote:

"ThorSPL" wrote:

as i've said before, since Greenway is a small town guy himself, he is often seen at training camp picking up trash around the fields, which is pretty wierd seeing a pro athlete do lol.

But the real sign of character i've seen here in Mankato about Mr. Greenway, was after practice.
Theres a fence near the locker rooms where fans line up trying to get autographs from players heading to the showers.
There was a young boy, couldnt have been more than 8 years old, trying to just see the players go by.
Two kids probably about 16 or so, push the small kid away from the fence so they can get closer and yell to Chad for an autograph.
A guy next to the small boy kind of helps him back up to the front, and gives him his spot by the fence.
Greenway sees this, comes over, and as the two guys that pushed him away begged for autographs, Chad signed a football for the small boy, gave the guy that helped him a handshake and autograph, and told the other two they weren't getting anything from him because of what they did.

class act -pure and simple

ThorSPL
03-10-2008, 04:41 PM
"AngloVike" wrote:

"Vikes_King" wrote:

"ThorSPL" wrote:
[quote]

class act -pure and simple
[/quote

Couldn't agree more.

jargomcfargo
03-10-2008, 04:48 PM
"VikingsTw" wrote:

I agree, he missed a few more tackles than I thought he would and occasionally was a step slow in coverage. But that is holding him to a pretty high standard for his first year playing.
For the most part he did very well and is likely to get better with experience.
We should see better short zone pass coverage if we can get more pressure from the line and less blitzing by the backers.
We are pretty thin and I also hope for Rufus to pan out. But I also liked what I saw from Farwell in preseason as well.