PDA

View Full Version : How to win in the modern NFL



StillPurple
03-07-2008, 01:31 AM
I was talking to a guy tonight, and it kind of hit me. I said to him the following: "teams are so equal in the modern NFL, that to win, all you have to do is reduce errors". I mean, if you think about it, the reason the Giants won is because they were very good at reducing their own errors. Eli threw zero INTs in the playoffs. All the other teams made errors: the Pats were overconfident and didn't scheme well, the Packers let Favre throw too much, the Cowboys didn't tackle well, etc.

My take on the modern NFL: not what you can add, but what you subtract: errors.

Am I wrong ?

ItalianStallion
03-07-2008, 02:01 AM
Define "errors".

One could say that by playing error-free football, you're essentially playing perfect, which could also be interpreted as executing the plays exactly as they're designed (which IMO, is more than just "not making mistakes).

Marrdro
03-07-2008, 09:00 AM
Was it on this site or on another one that I saw a thread (a well done thread by the way) that highlighted the turnover ratio to wins/losses.


Anyway, I believe it proved that most of the teams that win are the ones that control the ball and don't make turnovers (at least on paper).

kevoncox
03-07-2008, 11:57 AM
"StillPurple" wrote:


I was talking to a guy tonight, and it kind of hit me. I said to him the following: "teams are so equal in the modern NFL, that to win, all you have to do is reduce errors". I mean, if you think about it, the reason the Giants won is because they were very good at reducing their own errors. Eli threw zero INTs in the playoffs. All the other teams made errors: the Pats were overconfident and didn't scheme well, the Packers let Favre throw too much, the Cowboys didn't tackle well, etc.

My take on the modern NFL: not what you can add, but what you subtract: errors.

Am I wrong ?


Why do you think turnovers happen? You can't say don't add talent because turn overs are a result of being out coached, out matched and underprepeared.

It's eas to say after the game, this team won because they had less turnovered but it's mostly likely because the other team was more talented or more cohesive as a team.

Purple Floyd
03-07-2008, 04:59 PM
Re: How to win in the modern NFL

Score more points than your opponent any way you can.

i_bleed_purple
03-07-2008, 05:15 PM
I would say it comes down to taking advantage of your situations.
For example, every time a team is in the red zone, they NEED to score at least 3 points.
If you get a turnover with great field position, you need to get in position for a field goal.
If a team could have 100% red zone pct I'm sure they would do very well and go to the playoffs, regardless of team talent.
Also, it comes down to mistakes.
The fewer mistakes, the more you win.
The giants are an excellent example.
Eli made many mistakes, which is why we beat them.
He made very very few mistakes in the playoffs, which is why he won.


In todays day and age, winning a football game is so comlex, that one mistake, one slip up could cost you a game.
Countless games have turned on a 4th quarter interception, or fumble or missed field goal.

VikingMike
03-07-2008, 09:59 PM
I've always held that the turnover ratio is most important...but with so much parity in the league, it's critical to have a defense that can step and stop the other team's offense. It seems there are so many games where it comes down to who has the ball last...and simply put, if your team is leading and you stop the other guy, you win.

StillPurple
03-08-2008, 07:41 PM
I agree. John Madden said that the one stat that means the most is takeaway/turnover. Show me the top 10 teams in that stat, and I will show you which teams made the playoff that year.

Of course, that stat - one might argue - just reflects things like intensity, focus, and aggressiveness, so it might be the effect, and not the cause.

I also think that teams can't just steamroll you anymore. Let's face it, the 1990 Niners could make tons of mistakes and still win. And so could the 1972 Fish, and the 1976 Steelers. The talent disparity before the salary cap was so huge, that playing "error-free" was not that important.

Today: you win by "driving the bus" downfield and minimizing your "goofs". I still think that the 2007 Vikings would have gone far into the playoffs, had we minimized our mistakes, and I include COACHING mistakes there.

Schutz
03-08-2008, 07:48 PM
"StillPurple" wrote:


I agree. John Madden said that the one stat that means the most is takeaway/turnover. Show me the top 10 teams in that stat, and I will show you which teams made the playoff that year.

Of course, that stat - one might argue - just reflects things like intensity, focus, and aggressiveness, so it might be the effect, and not the cause.

I also think that teams can't just steamroll you anymore. Let's face it, the 1990 Niners could make tons of mistakes and still win. And so could the 1972 Fish, and the 1976 Steelers. The talent disparity before the salary cap was so huge, that playing "error-free" was not that important.

Today: you win by "driving the bus" downfield and minimizing your "goofs". I still think that the 2007 Vikings would have gone far into the playoffs, had we minimized our mistakes, and I include COACHING mistakes there.


I disagree, the cap wasn't what made it so competitive.
The reason it's so close and relies a lot on intangibles is because of Free Agency.
Scouting is still important, but not as important as it used to be.

It all comes down to having a QB that can manage the game, a game breaker player, and a good game plan from the coaching staff.

vikinggreg
03-08-2008, 07:55 PM
"UffDaVikes" wrote:



Re: How to win in the modern NFL

Score more points than your opponent any way you can.


I've always felt the team with the higher score up there, with.... the most points when time ex ex expires, goes double zero, and the ref here waves his red flag, would be
a... a.. donk, see there winner.
John Maddenism

VikingMike
03-08-2008, 09:35 PM
"vikinggreg" wrote:


"UffDaVikes" wrote:



Re: How to win in the modern NFL

Score more points than your opponent any way you can.


I've always felt the team with the higher score up there, with.... the most points when time ex ex expires, goes double zero, and the ref here waves his red flag, would be
a... a.. donk, see there winner.
John Maddenism




You know, you're absolutely right...doesn't matter how you score, just that you do,,,and that you score more than the other team. :)

singersp
03-08-2008, 09:43 PM
"Bill" wrote:



Cheat




LOL

singersp
03-09-2008, 08:45 AM
"Bill" wrote:



Cheat




LOL

Proud2BPurple
03-09-2008, 12:17 PM
"ItalianStallion" wrote:


Define "errors".


Bad draft picks? Bad trades? Bad FA pick ups/losses?


If you can have an 'errorless' offseason you may have the kind of roster that makes the on field 'errors' being discussed!

BBQ Platypus
03-09-2008, 03:48 PM
I think it boils down to play at the quarterback position.
He has to not only take care of the ball, but DO STUFF WITH IT, making the right reads and whatnot.
Now, he needs a good supporting cast, but a good quarterback makes a mediocre team better.

A couple of years ago, I would have disagreed with me, but I now see the light.
Today's NFL games are decided by QB play.
If T-Jack can do the things we expect him to do consistently, this team will contend for a Super Bowl.
With AD in the backfield, that should be easier, but in the end, it all comes down to Jackson.

Mr Anderson
03-09-2008, 04:41 PM
Outscore your opponent.
:)

But seriously, the game has changed. If we had our current team 30 years ago, we would be absolutely dominant.


However, today imo, it comes down to, QB play, SPEED ON DEFENSE, a running game just good enough to setup the play-action, refined wide receiver corps plus a deep threat, size on the interior of both lines, and athleticism on the exterior of the lines.

ItalianStallion
03-09-2008, 10:43 PM
"Proud2BPurple" wrote:


"ItalianStallion" wrote:


Define "errors".


Bad draft picks? Bad trades? Bad FA pick ups/losses?


If you can have an 'errorless' offseason you may have the kind of roster that makes the on field 'errors' being discussed!


And yet a team wins the superbowl every year despite making some errors, so it's clear that being error less is not only impossible but also not the only determinant of success.

tb04512
03-09-2008, 10:45 PM
i think i might be off.. buttttt i think you win in the modern NFL by scoring more points than the opponent
:D

jessejames09
03-09-2008, 10:47 PM
You need to be great at one thing and good every where else.

Giants-great pass rush
Colts - great passing attack
Steelers- great D
Pats- great passing attack
Ravens- great D

KrackerJack
03-09-2008, 10:49 PM
"tb04512" wrote:


i think i might be off.. buttttt i think you win in the modern NFL by scoring more points than the opponent
:D


that's crazy....

...so crazy, it just might work! my goodness man! you've got it!
;)

vikinggreg
03-09-2008, 11:02 PM
"jessejames09" wrote:


You need to be great at one thing and good every where else.

Giants-great pass rush
Colts - great passing attack
Steelers- great D
Pats- great passing attack
Ravens- great D


You forgot

Vikings- great AD ;)

jessejames09
03-10-2008, 12:02 AM
The 'good everywhere else' is our problem.

Jereamiah
03-10-2008, 12:51 AM
I keep thinking about the Bucs and the Ravens. Can they be considered "modern?"
;D or has the passing attacks of the Mannings and Brady be the wave of the future. I look at Dilfer and think "how the f*ck did this guy win a super bowl? He did just enough to keep from losing. It seems to me that good qb play and good "d" can be inserted as an either-or answer. I think the 'Vikes are getting real close to solving that question. :D

singersp
03-10-2008, 05:35 AM
It went right over their heads.