PDA

View Full Version : Micheal Bennet to AZ Cards?????

Vikes
12-14-2004, 01:14 AM
There have been rumors that head coach Dennis Green would like to trade a draft pick to the Vikings in exchange for Michael Bennett, whom Green drafted as a rookie in 2001.

I say BYE!

ADubya26
12-14-2004, 01:20 AM
hope so

VikingsTw
12-14-2004, 01:23 AM
If its green, who loves bennett we may get a second rounder wich would be awesome. But maybe not because of how low the cards will be drafting, but it would be nice, you never know.

duffVIkEs
12-14-2004, 01:49 AM
that would be great

hawaiianvike21
12-14-2004, 03:51 AM
ANy links to these rumors?

ItalianStallion
12-14-2004, 11:19 AM
Green is probably dumb enough to give us a second round pick or something.

whackthepack
12-14-2004, 12:04 PM
Can we throw in Hovan (maybe we can do a sign and trade) to sweaten the deal?

Green drafted him, maybe that would make it a 2nd round pick!

Vikestand
12-14-2004, 12:08 PM
Bennett is a really nice guy and has had some tough luck...But its time for him to move on....Hes been hurt way too much...And we need to stick with Moore and Smith...Two of the brightest young backs in this league

JDogg926
12-14-2004, 12:19 PM
Hell, give him Bennett, Hovan, and our 1st rd pick, for their 1st and 3rd rd picks.

ItalianStallion
12-14-2004, 02:37 PM
Lets all keep in mind that if Bennett does not want to leave and we can't get value for him, we should keep him. Every season our RB depth seems to be tested and he is not a bad RB, just not great.

What happened to Mewelde, he had the best performances for a RB on our team this season.

VKG4LFE
12-14-2004, 08:59 PM
Bye Bennett!

mvikes84
12-18-2004, 10:02 PM
Why so many Bennett haters?

ItalianStallion
12-18-2004, 10:19 PM
"mvikes84" wrote:

Why so many Bennett haters?

He hasn't done anything in two seasons, I guess that is reason enough.

Vikings Fan At MSU
12-18-2004, 10:43 PM
i have said this before Hovan and Bennett for a first rounder.....Dennis Green drafted them both.....it would be sweet to get a first rounder for them and possibly draft jimmy Williams and line up along Winfield and draft Thomas Davis too and get rid of russell.

dart18
12-18-2004, 11:34 PM
bennett and our first for their first is good to me

rjkvikings
12-18-2004, 11:45 PM
"dart18" wrote:

bennett and our first for their first is good to meI don't see that happening. No way is Bennett worththat much

Caine
12-19-2004, 01:40 AM
Think clearly here...Bennett is a damn good back (When healthy) and should be worth a bit more than a 2nd round pick. Arizona needs help, we need Defense. Bennett for a 2nd & 3rd round pick, and Hovan if they promise to sell their team to Red McCombs forcing Red to sell to ME!!!!

Caine

snowinapril
12-19-2004, 02:26 AM
Listen, Bennett is a good back, you just have to use him right. We haven't had good play calling for the last 2 years. If we used him like we used Robert Smith, he would be doing wonders. If that were the case, there would be a lot more love for Bennett.

I hope for Bennett's sake Green does want him. I am sure Green would use him right.

I don't want to see him go but if it will help our team, so be it.

SKOL
12-19-2004, 02:38 AM
Robert Smith was a phenominal cut back runner. Bennett has been putting his head down and running straight ahead. You gotta be able to see the open field before you can run to it. He just doesn't look for it.

VikingsTw
12-19-2004, 09:56 PM
"snowinapril" wrote:

Listen, Bennett is a good back, you just have to use him right. We haven't had good play calling for the last 2 years. If we used him like we used Robert Smith, he would be doing wonders. If that were the case, there would be a lot more love for Bennett.

I hope for Bennett's sake Green does want him. I am sure Green would use him right.

I don't want to see him go but if it will help our team, so be it.

I think they used him the way they are supposed to today, screens, good running lanes, he had an awesome game today. If we are gonna use him lets use him alot, let him get into a rythm. I look foward to seeing bennett more, today definatly picked up my spirits for the bennett situation. The explosiveness is hard to ignore, we need him in the offense.

mvikes84
12-19-2004, 11:03 PM
He's been hurt. How does that make him a bad player?

mvikes84
12-19-2004, 11:10 PM
Exactly vikingstw. I'm glad to see there's somebody making some sense when it comes to Bennett. Give him the ball! It's guaranteed he'll break some long ones. That will make our passing game that much more effective.

VikingsTw
12-19-2004, 11:15 PM
I have been a little bit of a hater, you know "bench bennett start onterio" but i was frustrated with the way they were using him. He needs touches, several chances to make plays. Today he showed why hes a good RB, i hope he gets plenty of playing time against the packers.

The offense has been in somewaht of a slump but he gives us that extra boost, the guy that can change the momentum of the game in 5 seconds.

ADubya26
12-20-2004, 01:06 AM
We need backs like Onterrio, Moe and MM who will actually break a tackle and fall forward and fight for the extra yard. Bennett has speed, yeah but unless if he has a nice gap to run into, he wont do anything. He cant use his speed because 1. he cant always get that much space 2. He cant see the space half the time he gets it. I think he is best for screens and small passes where he can be out in an open field. Hes not as good running from the I or something. Just my opinion

mvikes84
12-20-2004, 10:27 PM
Bennett gained 1,300 yds in 2002. He must have been "seeing the spaces" pretty good that year!!

cajunvike
12-20-2004, 11:47 PM
Bennett is still a very good RB...but he doesn't have the moves that Onterrio has shown in the good games that he had this year. If we didn't have Onterrio, I would have no problem keeping Bennett, but if we can get some value for Bennett (especially on defense), then we have got to consider trading him. Also we need to consider that he will be a free agent soon, so we may not get anything in return once that happens (because he will cost too much to resign).

ItalianStallion
12-21-2004, 12:15 AM
"mvikes84" wrote:

Bennett gained 1,300 yds in 2002. He must have been "seeing the spaces" pretty good that year!!

Those stats were inflated by a Handful of really long runs, besides he doesn't see holes anymore.

Bennett has not proved to be an every down back in the past 2 seasons and situational runners do not have alot of value. trust me nobody would EVERRR give us more than a 2nd rounder.

GreenBaySlackers
12-21-2004, 12:33 AM
Or our entire coaching staff for their 5th. That seems most fair to me

GreenBaySlackers
12-21-2004, 12:34 AM
"ItalianStallion" wrote:

"mvikes84" wrote:

Those stats were inflated by a Handful of really long runs, besides he doesn't see holes anymore.

Bennett has not proved to be an every down back in the past 2 seasons and situational runners do not have alot of value. trust me nobody would EVERRR give us more than a 2nd rounder.

he saw plenty of (A)holes while he was at lambeu...

Mossville
12-21-2004, 12:43 AM
You all are a bunch of Idiots. If Bennett sucks so bad, why would anyone trade for him and give up anything besides a 4th or 5th round pick. Hell, all that Corey DIllion and TO cost was 2nd rounder. NO WAY IN HELL would anyone give that much up for Bennett. To many RBs are going to be FA this year.

snowinapril
12-21-2004, 12:51 AM
"Mossville" wrote:

You all are a bunch of Idiots. If Bennett sucks so bad, why would anyone trade for him and give up anything besides a 4th or 5th round pick. Hell, all that Corey DIllion and TO cost was 2nd rounder. NO WAY IN HELL would anyone give that much up for Bennett. To many RBs are going to be FA this year.

They were also a cap hit and cancers on their teams.

I still think that Bennett has something to offer.

He doesn't "suck so bad."

cajunvike
12-21-2004, 12:58 AM
"Mossville" wrote:

Hey, Moss-ville(age) Idiot! Who the f*ck died and made you God...Bennett is a talented back and the ONLY reason that we are even considering getting rid of him is because of the logjam that WE have at the position. If we hadn't struck gold with Onterrio and Mewelde, we would be very happy to have Bennett as our starter. That being said, some other team might be looking at their own pathetic running game, and saying to themselves that they would rather have a RB that has already proven that he can be a 1000-yard rusher in the NFL (as opposed to drafting a RB who has not played a down in the NFL and might be a bust...read: Ki-Jana Carter, Rashaan Salaam, and others). The fact is, if we don't trade one of our RBs, we will not be able to invest our resources where they are needed more. Bennett is the most likely choice, because his contract is up after next year. The Vikes have to at least put him up on the trading block and see what they can get for him...some team might be desperate enough to give us a higher draft pick than you think!

ADubya26
12-21-2004, 02:24 AM
Well said Cajun. He did have that great season a few years back, but he has been hurt ever since and in the mean time we have found a very productive a versatile back in Onterrio. We cant keep all of them...and I honestly think Onterrio is better. I wonder how many yards onterrio would have if he got the reps that Bennett did that year...and if he had a better O line like Bennett did. Our offensive system opens up the run...the Ds are keying the long ball and passes, leaving the run more open - thats why we can put almost anyone in there and do fine. But, I like Onterrio more because he is stronger, fights for the extra yard, is more versatile, and has a great fighter attitude. Its a gimme we keep Moe and I think it would be foolish to get rid of the steal we got in Mewelde. We need to trade Bennett and get some defense.

VikingsTw
12-21-2004, 04:02 AM
I think some of guys that dont believe bennett cant break tackles are wrong, the guy breaks tackles and he fights for the extra yard. I would go out calling Smith stronger than bennett just yet. Bennett is a tank just look at the size of his legs, MY GOODNESS.

Its a little silly to be argueing this, my point is bennett is a good back and we have him the rest of the year so i want to see us use him. Its obvious onterrios more elusive and has better vision wich gives him the edge as a pure runner. I just want the back that has the best chance to help us win in the game.

mvikes84
12-22-2004, 10:28 PM
He doesn't see the holes anymore?? I know he's had an injured knee but I didn't realize he's been having eye problems also. And saying his numbers in 2002 were "inflated by a handful of long runs"???????? WTF Since when has it been a bad thing to have a RB that can give you long runs? You can't be serious!! The fact that he broke so many long runs should mean you would want to keep him, not get rid of him. There's nothing wrong with Bennett's eyes and there's nothing wrong with a RB who can score from anywhere on the field!!!

VikingsTw
12-23-2004, 12:46 AM
"mvikes84" wrote:

He doesn't see the holes anymore?? I know he's had an injured knee but I didn't realize he's been having eye problems also. And saying his numbers in 2002 were "inflated by a handful of long runs"???????? WTF Since when has it been a bad thing to have a RB that can give you long runs? You can't be serious!! The fact that he broke so many long runs should mean you would want to keep him, not get rid of him. There's nothing wrong with Bennett's eyes and there's nothing wrong with a RB who can score from anywhere on the field!!!

WORD!!!, Nothing wrong with long runs, GO BENNETT, kick some ass Friday. :cheers:

briboy75
12-23-2004, 01:17 AM
I'd rather get rid of Moore or Smith the Bennett. All three are great, but Smith and Moore have a more similar style. Bennett give you something different. Bennett + Moe + (Smith or Moore) is a great combination.

cajunvike
12-23-2004, 01:30 AM
"briboy75" wrote:

I'd rather get rid of Moore or Smith the Bennett. All three are great, but Smith and Moore have a more similar style. Bennett give you something different. Bennett + Moe + (Smith or Moore) is a great combination.

The biggest issue is that Bennett's contract is up next year...we can't really afford to pay what he is sure to ask, so we need to get value for him while we still have some leverage...otherwise he leaves in FA at the end of next season and we get squat. It is not really a matter of who you like, but rather, a business decision that has to be made for the betterment of the team...sorry, but Bennett has to be the one to go! I wish him all the luck in the world, and that we get a defensive stud in exchange for him...win/win for both players.

VikingsTw
12-23-2004, 01:33 AM
With what we may get (draft pick), he may be more valuable to us if he just stayed on the team next year.

cajunvike
12-23-2004, 01:42 AM
"vikingstw" wrote:

With what we may get (draft pick), he may be more valuable to us if he just stayed on the team next year.

That is why I think that we should trade him for a current player...someone on DEFENSE that has a similar history...high draft choice, has shown flashes of brilliance, maybe some injury history but not too much, overall a little of an underachiever. Bennett (and whomever we get) might both flourish in another environment...I would be willing to gamble on someone like Courtney Whatshisname on the Browns or someone like him. The bottom line is that we need more talent on defense and we can't really afford to keep all the talent that we have on offense, so something has got to give...and that is Bennett.

Big C
12-23-2004, 11:32 AM
blah blah blah.

Bennet is much better than most of you give him credit for. It's amazing how people forget what he showed during pre-season before getting injured. Then you actually compare his production with Mewelde and Smith even though both of them played when Moss was healthy and opening up the running game. Bennet comes back and plays a few games with no Moss and most of you are on his case.

I think Bennet might be gone next season. But that would simply because of a business decision (we can't afford him) and NOT because the lesser back than Smith or Mewelede. Any running back can break tackles. Bennet has speed and finesse (like Tiki Barber), Mewelde has great hands, Smith is a power runner with moves and Moe is just a frickin steamroller (which is good). It's like comparing apples to oranges.

The Vikings running game is a little like the Broncos or Chiefs. You can stick any back in there and they will give you production with what strengths they have. But ONLY when Moss is there to take men out of the box. AND if your stupid offensive coordinator doesn't shut the run down...

mvikes84
12-24-2004, 12:28 AM
Right on vikingstw! GO BENNETT!!

cajunvike
12-24-2004, 12:53 AM
Time to kill this thread...nothing we can do until next season, so no use discussing it anymore!!!

mvikes84
12-29-2004, 09:32 PM
Discussing is what this forum is for!

Burley81
12-29-2004, 09:50 PM
since bennett and charles woodsons contracts are both up after this year, maybe we should trade with oakland b4 their free agents, or we get nothing.

cajunvike
12-29-2004, 10:10 PM
"givemossthetoss" wrote:

since bennett and charles woodsons contracts are both up after this year, maybe we should trade with oakland b4 their free agents, or we get nothing.

Looks like a match made in football heaven...they would get a stud RB and we would get a second shutdown corner...win/win situation, if you ask me!

BTW, welcome to the board, GMTT!!!

Burley81
12-29-2004, 10:45 PM
That would be like the portis bailey deal that the skins broncos did. We need a good corner lining up with AW, and they need a running game. Hey, it could happen.

cajunvike
12-30-2004, 12:07 AM
Just as long as Woodson doesn't come here and get burned as much as Champ did this year!

Burley81
12-30-2004, 12:38 AM
Or we could trade bennett and hovan to the bears for urlacher and a 2nd round pick or instead of the 2nd rounder R.W. Mcquarters could come :shock:. But lovie smith isnt that desparate, or is he?

cajunvike
12-30-2004, 12:42 AM
The Teddies don't need a RB (they have A-Train and Thomas "I'm not Julius" Jones)...and no, Lovie is not that desperate that he would want Hovan...besides, Hovan is a FA after the season, so we can't trade him unless we re-sign him (something that will not happen).

Burley81
12-30-2004, 12:49 AM
Your right, vikes should stick with bennett woodson deal. But we need a linebacker, our linebackers look lost on the field.

cajunvike
12-30-2004, 01:01 AM
"givemossthetoss" wrote:

Your right, vikes should stick with bennett woodson deal. But we need a linebacker, our linebackers look lost on the field.

Give them time...especially EJ and Dontarrious...they have the talent, they just need more seasoning.

Burley81
12-30-2004, 01:07 AM
Dontarrious has speed, i guess we'll see about EJ though.

VikingsTw
12-30-2004, 01:11 AM
Ej has plenty of speed for a MLB, you dont have to be a speed demen. He's got the tools andthe experience will come with time.

RandyMoss8404
12-30-2004, 03:21 AM
"vikingstw" wrote:

Ej has plenty of speed for a MLB, you dont have to be a speed demen. He's got the tools andthe experience will come with time.

Meanwhile he'll lose vital games for us.

MN_Jet_Fan
12-30-2004, 11:35 AM
Bennett is a fast, talented kid. But the bottom line is if he isn't on the field he can't help you out. Trade him while he has value and fleece Denny Green for one of his picks.

VikingsTw
12-30-2004, 05:45 PM
"RandyMoss8404" wrote:

"vikingstw" wrote:

Meanwhile he'll lose vital games for us.

I dont see you out on the field. You really like to bash EJ, but he's made it farther then you ever will. I'm already sick of your stupid comments about EJ. He had one bad play in the whole game last week. What about Shaw? He practicly handed them the game and you want to blaim EJ for the whole game, tice quoted that Ej played a very good game, with one mistake on the goal line and 12 tackles.

Stop blaiming him for the f'n game. Blaim our offense for scoring a whole three points in the second half, or shaw being completly whiped out, our chavous blowing more assignments in one game then he has all year.

Burley81
12-30-2004, 07:17 PM
Terrance Shaw should of had that tackle, it would of kept the pack out of FG range. You just cant miss tackles like that.

bleedpurple
12-30-2004, 07:29 PM
Meanwhile Bwilliams was getting torched all over the field

vikes09
12-30-2004, 08:31 PM
i think that the trade would be a great idea and i know bennets good, but come on and think reasonably. a 2nd round pick isnt asking 2 much and a 1st round pick is inking it. but a 2nd round and another player 4 bennet and not hovan or ny1 else is crazy talk :shock: . how would that happen and who is desperate enough 2 do it. :scratch: a striaght up trade doesnt look 2 good either for our sake. i would rather trade bennet and hovan and/ or a low draft pick for a first. we could use it better than a hurt bennet.

muchluv4smoot
12-30-2004, 08:49 PM
"vikes09" wrote:

i think that the trade would be a great idea and i know bennets good, but come on and think reasonably. a 2nd round pick isnt asking 2 much and a 1st round pick is inking it. but a 2nd round and another player 4 bennet and not hovan or ny1 else is crazy talk :shock: . how would that happen and who is desperate enough 2 do it. :scratch: a striaght up trade doesnt look 2 good either for our sake. i would rather trade bennet and hovan and/ or a low draft pick for a first. we could use it better than a hurt bennet.

Another great Tice move was not jumping at the miami offer of a 1st round pick for bennett, this last offseason. Imagine what pick we would be getting from them in the 1st round this year. bennett would have hellped them a little, but probably not much, considering he was injured for a good part of the year. I bet we would have still gotten a top 5 pick with that trade. Antrell Rolle would be in our sights if that was the case.

vikes09
12-30-2004, 08:55 PM
augh. :pukeright: dont tell me about it. thats horrible. we wouldve been so set.

VikingsTw
12-30-2004, 09:35 PM
"bleedpurple" wrote:

Meanwhile Bwilliams was getting torched all over the field

How can you blaim the guy, he's good in coverage for awhile but he lacks top end speed, so sooner or later those fast WR's are gonna pull away. When the D Line gets no pressure what so ever, you ask BWill to play specail teams AND defense, your asking alot. You guys can say what you want but he's a good CB you have to look at the situation he's put in, what they are asking him to do. 200 plays in two games, forced to cover the lions and packers best WR, the D Line getting no pressure for 2 games. Thats good cause for him to have his worst to games of the year.

They need to get him off the specail teams and get Winfield back.