PDA

View Full Version : Salary Cap Spikes Could Frustrate Vikings' Free Agent Search



COJOMAY
01-26-2008, 11:08 AM
http://vikesgeek.blogspot.com/
The Minnesota Vikings embark on the 2008 free-agency period with a range of needs. At the top of the team's wish list is right offensive guard, followed closely by right offensive tackle and defensive end, and then wide receiver, safety and cornerback. The only positions at which the Vikings appear to be set for the 2008 season, in other words, are on special teams, and at running back, defensive tackle and guard, center, and linebacker.

Identifying the Vikings' needs is the easy part. Filling the needs through free agency could prove more than daunting.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here's what I found in this article that surprised me...
Here in "Vikings Lnd" we seem to think that we have a ton of FA money. When actually 23 other teams have more money than us. Every team in the NFC North has more FA money than us,

jessejames09
01-26-2008, 11:18 AM
This is just some guys blog though. I don't think thats the teams actual 'wish list' for FA. I'll believe the cap situation when i see it written by a reputable source.

V4L
01-26-2008, 11:19 AM
We are fine in cap

And I doubt we will really pursue anyone

Just a few roster fillers

Marrdro
01-26-2008, 11:43 AM
It might be just someones blog but is pretty accurate.

The increase in CAP will make it alot easier for teams to sign Vets they want to keep which will severly degrade the talent that will be available and the ones that will test the market will be over paid cause teams will be bidding over them.

Gonna be a bad year to try to get any quality cheap/at a reasonable price.
::)

V4L
01-26-2008, 11:44 AM
"Marrdro" wrote:


It might be just someones blog but is pretty accurate.

The increase in CAP will make it alot easier for teams to sign Vets they want to keep which will severly degrade the talent that will be available and the ones that will test the market will be over paid cause teams will be bidding over them.

Gonna be a bad year to try to get any quality cheap/at a reasonable price.
::)



I think it will depend on how much a few of them sign at first

If they aren't overpaid then it sets a good bar

Vikes
01-26-2008, 04:02 PM
That list sounds like a big list of needs. No QB mentioned
hmmm..

Marrdro
01-26-2008, 04:05 PM
"V4L" wrote:


"Marrdro" wrote:


It might be just someones blog but is pretty accurate.

The increase in CAP will make it alot easier for teams to sign Vets they want to keep which will severly degrade the talent that will be available and the ones that will test the market will be over paid cause teams will be bidding over them.

Gonna be a bad year to try to get any quality cheap/at a reasonable price.
::)



I think it will depend on how much a few of them sign at first

If they aren't overpaid then it sets a good bar

Believe it or not, the bar was set last year and the year before and the year before that etc etc.

A big windfall in CAP increases across the board = increased salaries across the board.

tgorsegner
01-26-2008, 04:24 PM
At the top of the team's wish list is right offensive guard, followed closely by right offensive tackle and defensive end, and then wide receiver, safety and cornerback.


This doesn't make much sense to me. Didn't Herrara get a starter-type deal already this year. Ryan Cook's improvement over the year, and towards the end of the year seems to be being ignored, along with the theory/fact that O-lines get better the longer they play together. At the very least, those two positions should not be the top two.

Zeus
01-26-2008, 04:34 PM
"COJOMAY" wrote:


http://vikesgeek.blogspot.com/
The Minnesota Vikings embark on the 2008 free-agency period with a range of needs. At the top of the team's wish list is right offensive guard, followed closely by right offensive tackle and defensive end, and then wide receiver, safety and cornerback. The only positions at which the Vikings appear to be set for the 2008 season, in other words, are on special teams, and at running back, defensive tackle and guard, center, and linebacker.

Identifying the Vikings' needs is the easy part. Filling the needs through free agency could prove more than daunting.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here's what I found in this article that surprised me...
Here in "Vikings Lnd" we seem to think that we have a ton of FA money. When actually 23 other teams have more money than us. Every team in the NFC North has more FA money than us,


So some dude writes something in his blog with no supporting links and we're all supposed to take it as gospel?

Sorry, but homie don't play that.

=Z=

Marrdro
01-26-2008, 04:37 PM
"tgorsegner" wrote:



At the top of the team's wish list is right offensive guard, followed closely by right offensive tackle and defensive end, and then wide receiver, safety and cornerback.


This doesn't make much sense to me. Didn't Herrara get a starter-type deal already this year. Ryan Cook's improvement over the year, and towards the end of the year seems to be being ignored, along with the theory/fact that O-lines get better the longer they play together. At the very least, those two positions should not be the top two.

Quite making sense my friend.
No one has patience anymore.
You know that.
;D

COJOMAY
01-26-2008, 04:45 PM
Don't believe a blogger? Then don't believe anyone on here.
Check it for yourself...
http://www.askthecommish.com/salarycap/numbers.asp

GB has 18.37 million
Chicago has 19.8 million
Detroit has 23.5 million
Vikes have 14.88 million

Marrdro
01-26-2008, 04:50 PM
"COJOMAY" wrote:


Don't believe a blogger? Then don't believe anyone on here.
Check it for yourself...
http://www.askthecommish.com/salarycap/numbers.asp

GB has 18.37 million
Chicago has 19.8 million
Detroit has 23.5 million
Vikes have 14.88 million

I believed ya. Been enough of the CAP stuff posted on here of late to know that there are alot of teams with a huge windfall.

jessejames09
01-26-2008, 05:25 PM
"COJOMAY" wrote:


Don't believe a blogger? Then don't believe anyone on here.
Check it for yourself...
http://www.askthecommish.com/salarycap/numbers.asp

GB has 18.37 million
Chicago has 19.8 million
Detroit has 23.5 million
Vikes have 14.88 million


Trust me I don't take anything anyone says on here as fact. Haven't you wondered why people always ask for a link.

Zeus
01-26-2008, 05:34 PM
"COJOMAY" wrote:


Don't believe a blogger? Then don't believe anyone on here.
Check it for yourself...
http://www.askthecommish.com/salarycap/numbers.asp

GB has 18.37 million
Chicago has 19.8 million
Detroit has 23.5 million
Vikes have 14.88 million


Also from the askthecommish site -


Keep in mind that these numbers remain tentative -- and are changing on a daily basis. These "unofficial" figures are approximate as of December 27, 2007 and were compiled from various media sources including the NFLPA, ESPN and Sports Illustrated.


I'm just saying that bloggers who don't bother to give sources should not be trusted at face value.
Excuse me for wanting to have actual facts rather than supported speculation.

=Z=

Mr-holland
01-26-2008, 05:35 PM
We are looking for a right guard? ???
total BS considering we re-signed herrera

Zeus
01-26-2008, 05:36 PM
"Marrdro" wrote:


"COJOMAY" wrote:


Don't believe a blogger? Then don't believe anyone on here.
Check it for yourself...
http://www.askthecommish.com/salarycap/numbers.asp

GB has 18.37 million
Chicago has 19.8 million
Detroit has 23.5 million
Vikes have 14.88 million


I believed ya. Been enough of the CAP stuff posted on here of late to know that there are alot of teams with a huge windfall.


Not a question of believing Cojo or not, Marty.
He was merely posting an interesting blog article.
It's the unsupported information on the blog that I questioned.

=Z=

skum
01-26-2008, 05:39 PM
Carrying over money to next season, which can be done regardless of when the extension was signed, is a method teams use to conserve unused salary cap space. In other words, if Williams fails to meet the criteria of what's been deemed a bogus "likely to be earned" incentive in his contract, Minnesota will get an additional $13.2 million in cap space above the scheduled $116 million cap for the 2008 season.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=jc-williamsextension091407&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

We will get some more on top of the 14 million because of this deal, in some way.. the cap is a messed up thing and very hard to figure out, but apparently this should keep us up there

Marrdro
01-26-2008, 06:18 PM
"Zeus" wrote:


"Marrdro" wrote:


"COJOMAY" wrote:


Don't believe a blogger? Then don't believe anyone on here.
Check it for yourself...
http://www.askthecommish.com/salarycap/numbers.asp

GB has 18.37 million
Chicago has 19.8 million
Detroit has 23.5 million
Vikes have 14.88 million


I believed ya. Been enough of the CAP stuff posted on here of late to know that there are alot of teams with a huge windfall.


Not a question of believing Cojo or not, Marty.
He was merely posting an interesting blog article.
It's the unsupported information on the blog that I questioned.

=Z=

Never questioned you questioning him thats why I didn't quote ya my friend.
;D

Vikes_King
01-26-2008, 07:37 PM
raising the cap again so soon.. man, FA & 1st round draft pick salaries are going to be so high again