PDA

View Full Version : Offensive Linemen Ranking

nikoli
01-24-2008, 11:40 AM
I remember reading here that Cook graded out relatively high on some list. I was just wondering if anyone knows where I can find that list.

thevikingfan
01-24-2008, 12:08 PM
I dont know where the list is but i read on KFAN that cook graded out as the 11th best rt in the leagues this year.Ranking pass and run blocking penalties and sacks allowed

Marrdro
01-24-2008, 12:13 PM
The KFAN source was what most were using my friend.

Even though I think our OL had issues with pass protection at times, I for one think Cook is the answer at RT and the coaching staff are happy with his progress this year.

Lets hope all of the OL spends a significant amount of time during the offseason watching tape and working together (within the league rules of course).

nikoli
01-24-2008, 12:20 PM
Cool, was there a link or anything to it?

Marrdro
01-24-2008, 12:21 PM
"nikoli" wrote:

Cool, was there a link or anything to it?

I can't see alot of their stuff here at work, (firewalls), but here is the link.

http://www.kfan.com/

gtinker63
01-24-2008, 12:55 PM
I believe that our Offensive Line is not all that bad.
By no means are they the best in the league but still very serviceable.
They improved all year long in 2007 and are looking very good setting up for 2008.
Remember that this was the second year for this system.
This was Cooks first year as a full time starter.
Herrera played well but didn’t start until half-way through the year.
This line should stay together and that will be huge going into next season.

The sacks given up aren’t that terrible either.
Vikings gave up 38 sacks this year.
That is 7th out of 16 in the NFC and 13th in the NFL for most sacks allowed.
That isn’t great but by no means as bad as KC or SF (55 sacks given up by both).

Another nugget for everyone is that the QB in the game was partially involved in the sacks allowed.
TJack was sacked 19 times out of 313 drop backs (Sacked 6.0% of the time) in 12 games he played in.
Kelly Holcomb was sacked 12 times out of 95 drop backs (Sacked 12.6% of the time) in the 3 games he played in.
Brooks was sacked 7 times out of 57 drop backs (Sacked 12.2% of the time) in the 5 games he played in.

Marrdro
01-24-2008, 02:16 PM
"gtinker63" wrote:

They improved all year long in 2007 and are looking very good setting up for 2008.

That isn’t great but by no means as bad as KC or SF (55 sacks given up by both).

Another nugget for everyone is that the QB in the game was partially involved in the sacks allowed.
TJack was sacked 19 times out of 313 drop backs (Sacked 6.0% of the time) in 12 games he played in.
Kelly Holcomb was sacked 12 times out of 95 drop backs (Sacked 12.6% of the time) in the 3 games he played in.
Brooks was sacked 7 times out of 57 drop backs (Sacked 12.2% of the time) in the 5 games he played in.

Of course most of my observations are based on what I see during the games, however, the biggest problem I saw this year was when the defense showed something that caused the Vikes to audible from a run to a pass play.

I couldn't hear what TJ and Birk said but I could watch their motions and it really appeared that when that happened they struggled with blitz pickups.

If they just went out and ran the play they called in the huddle they appeared to be more successfull.

It is very critical that the QB and C make accurate pre-snap line calls. If they don't, then there will be confusion between the OL, RB and TE's in the blocking scheme as well as improper routes being run by the recievers.

Again, most of this is from what I saw during the games but what really cemented it for me was watching some tape breakdown on our OL they did on NFLN (NFC Playbook) about week 7 or 8 I think.

Great show if you get a chance to watch it. Baldy does a great job breaking down tape.
;D

MetalMike-LoudVike
01-24-2008, 02:24 PM
Overall the line peformed pretty well this year except Ryan Cook, Undersized DE got behind cook a bit too often in my view.

Marrdro
01-24-2008, 02:37 PM
"MetalMike-LoudVike" wrote:

Overall the line peformed pretty well this year except Ryan Cook, Undersized DE got behind cook a bit too often in my view.

I would agree with you on Cook but I expected that.
Bryant struggled with smaller faster DE's as well and Birk struggled with Line calls and blitz's up the middle.

If I gave anybody passing grades I would only give props to Hutch and Herrera but they had thier moments as well.

gtinker63
01-24-2008, 04:37 PM
"Marrdro" wrote:

"gtinker63" wrote:

Of course most of my observations are based on what I see during the games, however, the biggest problem I saw this year was when the defense showed something that caused the Vikes to audible from a run to a pass play.

I couldn't hear what TJ and Birk said but I could watch their motions and it really appeared that when that happened they struggled with blitz pickups.

If they just went out and ran the play they called in the huddle they appeared to be more successfull.

It is very critical that the QB and C make accurate pre-snap line calls. If they don't, then there will be confusion between the OL, RB and TE's in the blocking scheme as well as improper routes being run by the recievers.

Again, most of this is from what I saw during the games but what really cemented it for me was watching some tape breakdown on our OL they did on NFLN (NFC Playbook) about week 7 or 8 I think.

Great show if you get a chance to watch it. Baldy does a great job breaking down tape.

;D

There is no doubt about it that Birk and the QB are the most critical part in making sure the pre-snap reads are correct and that everyone is on the same page.
I would agree that if they fail in identifying what the defense is showing, fail to communicate that with the team (sound, whatever), or whatever reason to get the incorrect pre-snap read is the play will fail almost all times.
I would say that the line staying intact 1 additional year, having the same QB in the huddle and at the line will all help to improve our OL and team as a whole.
Everything the line and backs do, need to be in sync and they all need to be on the same page.
If one person is off everything will be off and the play is doomed for failure.

briannord
01-25-2008, 01:44 AM
"Marrdro" wrote:

Bryant struggled with smaller faster DE's as well and Birk struggled with Line calls and blitz's up the middle.

If I gave anybody passing grades I would only give props to Hutch and Herrera but they had thier moments as well.

Hutch is perfect.
99 in madden. he cant be beaten.

tgorsegner
01-25-2008, 02:25 AM
"briannord" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

Hutch is perfect.

watch out.... alot of people on this site don't like when people bring in a madden rating. IMHO Hutch is one of the best O-Linemen in the league, but no one on the Vikings line should have warrented a 99 based on this years performance.

singersp
01-25-2008, 06:33 AM
"nikoli" wrote:

I remember reading here that Cook graded out relatively high on some list. I was just wondering if anyone knows where I can find that list.

http://www.shopatmoxie.com/mm5/graphics/00000001/shitlist_300.jpg

skum
01-25-2008, 07:13 AM
LOL Singersp

--

NFLdraftscout had him rated as the 17th best OT, projected 5-6 round.. Thats all i could find

Prophet
01-25-2008, 08:11 AM
Here's a good analysis:

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ol.php

Marrdro
01-25-2008, 08:18 AM
"briannord" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

Hutch is perfect.

Hey, I guess they don't have to play
it out on the field anymore.
I keep forgetting we have Madden as ground truth to everything that is REAL football.
;D