PDA

View Full Version : why the hate?

Husky
12-10-2004, 08:57 AM
I was wondering if someone could fill me in on why most Viking fans hate Dennis Green. Of course since I'm not a fan of the team I don't know all the details of how he was as a coach like you guys would but it seemed like you guys were always in the playoffs under him. Hell one year you almost got to the Super Bowl. Didn't he also draft Moss, Culpepper and a lot of other talent? Just curious about what he did to piss off the fans so much.

whackthepack
12-10-2004, 09:02 AM
He was great at first and after a few years he alienated a lot of the fans in Minnesota and he took a knee against Atlanta on third down on a NFC title game with the best offense in the history of the NFL!

Del Rio
12-10-2004, 09:03 AM
I liked him.

But I think something that irked people so bad is the way he left. And the state of his mind towards the end.

People will cry about he squandered our D away, but frankly his record speaks for itself.

Freya
12-10-2004, 09:27 AM
"whackthepack" wrote:

He was great at first and after a few years he alienated a lot of the fans in Minnesota and he took a knee against Atlanta on third down on a NFC title game with the best offense in the history of the NFL!

Yep, Green appeared to be lucid only about half of the time. :scratch:

cajunvike
12-10-2004, 09:49 AM
Green was a good coach for us, but he didn't get us over the hump...so he will always be thought of as leaving behind unfinished business...hence the sour taste in the mouths of Viking fans. I was at the Ravens - Vikings game in B'more when Tice took over...it was a weird feeling because Green didn't really finish out the season...kinda left us hangin', so to speak.

cheesefree
12-10-2004, 09:58 AM
Yes he drafted Moss. He also drafted Dimetrious Underwood. He ignored the defense to the point of national ridicule, because we all know offense wins championships. :roll:

When Sheriff Denny came to town, he spouted the same B.S. as he's doing in AZ now. As far as black eyes for the Vikings organization, there was that paternity lawsuit thing. And then there was his grand scheme to sue the owners of the Vikings because they tried to get rid of him and then Denny would buy the Vikings and be the owner, GM and head coach for life.
All this lawsuit stuff proved was that Denny would go to great lengths to promote his book "No Room for Crybabies"

1998 NFC Championship game: Take a knee Denny
2000 NFC Championship game: 41-0

Del Rio
12-10-2004, 10:38 AM
1992: 11-5, 1st Playoffs
1993: 9-7, T2nd Playoffs
1994: 10-6, 1st Playoffs
1995: 8-8, 4th --------
1996: 9-7, 2nd Playoffs
1997: 9-7, 4th Playoffs
1998: 15-1, 1st Playoffs, Best Record in Vikings History
1999: 10-6, 2nd Playoffs
2000: 11-5, 1st Playoffs

He is only second to Bud that's it he has been the second best coach we have ever had. He destroyed a lot of records in our franchise and created one of the most powerful offenses the NFL has ever seen.

Yeah he was ok I guess :roll:

People are just mad at the way he left. That's about it. They feel somewhat betrayed.

DoubleDown11
12-10-2004, 10:49 AM
I never hated the "nutty professor" at least he coahed a few playoff games!

snowinapril
12-10-2004, 10:49 AM
I liked Green.

I think it ultimately came down to a disagreement between him and RED.

The lawsuit, the book and the media really played a part in how people saw Denny in the end.

I agree with Del Rio, Denny's record with us speaks for itself.

ONLY ONE TEAM CAN WIN IT ALL. We were lucky to have had a coach that gave us a shot year in and year out.

He had one bad year and it was a head hunting time. Denny got the axe and went fishing.

snowinapril
12-10-2004, 10:56 AM
I don't think we should hold it against him for the way he left. It to me was a sign of where the organization was going under RED. He was trying to be Jerry Jones when he knows nothing about FOOTBALL.

I think Denny told them, if you are going to let me go at the end of the season, let me go now. I think he ultimately wanted to know what his future was. I don't think that he meant to give up on the players. He gave a lot to the team over the 9.939999 years he coached the Vikes.

casper
12-10-2004, 11:27 AM
I was here voting for him :headbang: when alot of folks where linching him :boxing: BUT then he started messing up the team :pottytrain3: letting the Defense get sooooo bad :help: in the later part of his tenure as Head Coach, :shock: :angryfire: :violent3: I was glad to see him go :walk:

:wave: bye bye Mr. GREEN Jeans [-o<

:happy9:

VKG4LFE
12-10-2004, 12:47 PM
I personally had no problems with Denny Green. I thought he did a pretty good job with his drafts (at least on the offensive side of the ball) and his record speaks for itself. I wish he wouldn't have left, but what can you do!

poult
12-10-2004, 01:01 PM
i never hated green, and i actually hope he has some success down in arizona.

ADubya26
12-10-2004, 01:39 PM
He blew our NFC Title game against the Falcons in 98. I was 12 but I remember thinking, "Why are we running the ball so much, why arent we playing like we usually do?" Instead of sticking to the gameplan and trying to win the game like we won 15 of them that year, he tried to change things up. Personally, I can never forgive him for what a crappy game he called that year...it was a heartbreaker.

mr_bungalow
12-10-2004, 02:35 PM
For me,
it was taking the knee
and not taking care of the D

SKOL
12-10-2004, 02:52 PM
"Husky" wrote:

I was wondering if someone could fill me in on why most Viking fans hate Dennis Green.

I think this should pretty much explain it :

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v518/SKOL/ineptitude.jpg

so-cal vike
12-10-2004, 04:34 PM
"mr_bungalow" wrote:

For me,
it was taking the knee
and not taking care of the D

Amen brother!

Vikestand
12-10-2004, 06:11 PM
Why do we have to relive the 98' nightmare...

XTAP59
12-10-2004, 09:12 PM
"Husky" wrote:

I was wondering if someone could fill me in on why most Viking fans hate Dennis Green. Of course since I'm not a fan of the team I don't know all the details of how he was as a coach like you guys would but it seemed like you guys were always in the playoffs under him. Hell one year you almost got to the Super Bowl. Didn't he also draft Moss, Culpepper and a lot of other talent? Just curious about what he did to piss off the fans so much.

Old news, read the archives.....

PhxFan
12-10-2004, 11:58 PM
"poult" wrote:

i never hated green, and i actually hope he has some success down in arizona.
As a winning coach, he brought a ray of hope to a lackluster club (Cardinals) since, he's managed to take alot of criticism (as a losing coach always does) in Phoenix, he's made some changes, been swapping out QB's like underwear...his first practice he let go a starting center...just to show who the boss is, everyone guessed?? Court is still out on him here...when he coached the Vikes, IMO he had good and bad moments, but the team was doing OK then... :scratch:

Caine
12-11-2004, 09:58 PM
Everything previously mentioned were reasons I disliked Green, but you can add one more to that list: The "Character" of the team degraded under his leadership.

I remember watching the Vikes when CC was in his last two seasons here. They were bickering and fighting amongst themselves...Moss went into his shell, Culpepper had the "thousand yard stare", and we had absolutely NO Defense to bail out our struggling Offense.

In '98, no one would have beaten us in the SB. Green blew that game. They came out flat in the 2nd half and handed Atlanta the game. Gren's passion for has-been QB's bit him in the ass that day.

In 2000, I thought the Vikes overachieved. I never thought they'd go as far as they did, and I was disappointed since it meant that we'd have more Green. When it all came crashing down in 2001, I wasn't suprised. When Green was shown the door, I breathed a sigh of relief.

The main reason I like Tice is that he's at least tried to rebuild the "D"...with a better coordinator, he'd have succeeded. Watch Arizona. In 4 years they'll have a super-charged Offense...within 5, they will have no Defense. Dennis Green can rot there for all I care.

There is more, but it touches in areas best not discussed in a public forum. While Green brought some great talent to Minnesota, he failed to build a "TEAM" - he had a talented collection of individuals.

Caine

DemonicViking
12-11-2004, 10:33 PM
Whatever, he's got no quarterback in Arizona now. Some were wondering why he pulled McNown since they have no one that much better backing him up.

snowinapril
12-11-2004, 10:39 PM
"ADubya26" wrote:

He blew our NFC Title game against the Falcons in 98. I was 12 but I remember thinking, "Why are we running the ball so much, why arent we playing like we usually do?" Instead of sticking to the gameplan and trying to win the game like we won 15 of them that year, he tried to change things up. Personally, I can never forgive him for what a crappy game he called that year...it was a heartbreaker.

We were so not healthy on D. Our line and linebackers were all playing injured. Randal had to take himself out for plays he was hurting so bad. We were on one leg. Denny did the best he could. It came down to Gary's leg.

I don't know why we didn't air the ball out before half but like I said, Gary's Leg.

muchluv4smoot
12-11-2004, 10:40 PM
"DemonicViking" wrote:

Whatever, he's got no quarterback in Arizona now. Some were wondering why he pulled McNown since they have no one that much better backing him up.

McCown. McNown is no longer in the league.

snowinapril
12-11-2004, 10:47 PM
I will buy the CHARCTER issues, but I don't think that you can blame the NFC champ game on Denny. A healthy Vikings team could have won the Super Bowl but I don't think we were going to get healthy enough in those 2 weeks up to the SB.

Denny wasn't the one that couldn't stop Jamal Anderson from running the ball. It was the injured D. Denny wasn't the one that missed the FG. That was Gary Anderson.

I am not going to argue. I am not coming back to this thread mainly because it is mostly about the ATL game. I am done rehashing Denny.

Eyesore
12-12-2004, 09:43 AM
:rr:

SKOL
12-12-2004, 06:53 PM
:lol: No that's not it eyesore.

dan3ski
12-12-2004, 07:09 PM
Green was terible at clock managment and he flat out just got to full of himself! Did I mention he was also bad at the salery cap!