PDA

View Full Version : Garrett Mills

VikesFan787
01-03-2008, 08:59 AM
I saw on NFL play-by-play he had a couple receptions, Did he look good out there?

skum
01-03-2008, 09:05 AM
He looked better than Shiancoe had done all year..

Purple Floyd
01-03-2008, 09:09 AM
It's probably not saying much but he looked the the best pass catching TE we had on the team. I would like to see him get more reps next year to see if he can become what our current one hasn't.

C Mac D
01-03-2008, 09:15 AM
I thought he looked great. Can't wait to see this kid in the future. He should have been playing all year... damn Childress.

Marrdro
01-03-2008, 09:22 AM
"C" wrote:

I thought he looked great. Can't wait to see this kid in the future. He should have been playing all year... gol 'darnit Childress.

Is that what you really think?

Gimme a break.
He wouldn't have even seen the field this year on most teams unless like the Denver game, they wanted to get some game tape on him to see what he looked like.

Secondly, the smaller DL that the Broncos ran out on the field allowed for the OL to hold thier blocks better/protect better allowing for the TE to actually get out into coverage.

Of course all that will be lost on guys like you who still blame it on the coaches all the time instead of really looking at what is happening on the field.
;D

ejmat
01-03-2008, 09:22 AM
I love how this became a blame Childress thread.
Comeon already.
Mills did look good.
He had a couple of catches.
He was inactive most of the year becasue they were going with the TEs they already had with experience.
Just like MeMo was inactive for some games throughout the year.
You can't have every single person on the roster activated for every game so you go with your best players.
None of us are at practice to see who shines and who doesn't.
There is a reason this kid was highly regarded by several coaches to include Bellyfat.
But don't sit here and say damn Childress for not playing him all year.
Shancoe and Kleinny were the starters.
Maybe next year Mills will have his chance to beat out one of those two players.
But for this past year, he didn't.

C Mac D
01-03-2008, 09:26 AM
"Marrdro" wrote:

"C" wrote:

I thought he looked great. Can't wait to see this kid in the future. He should have been playing all year... gol 'darnit Childress.

Gimme a break.
He wouldn't have even seen the field this year on most teams unless like the Denver game, they wanted to get some game tape on him to see what he looked like.

Secondly, the smaller DL that the Broncos ran out on the field allowed for the OL to hold thier blocks better/protect better allowing for the TE to actually get out into coverage.

Of course all that will be lost on guys like you who still blame it on the coaches all the time instead of really looking at what is happening on the field.
;D

To see what he looked like? So they were testing players out during a MUST WIN game? Once again... I repeat... damn Childress.

Marrdro
01-03-2008, 09:32 AM
"C" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

"C" wrote:

Gimme a break.

;D

To see what he looked like? So they were testing players out during a MUST WIN game? Once again... I repeat... gol 'darnit Childress.

Guess what, all teams do it.
Do you really think that the HC is the only one who decides is on the roster every week?
Wait, I bet you do.
I bet you think the Chiller sits in a room all by himself, well at least with his Coord's and says, we'll play these guys?

Seriously, you know Spielmen, the medical staff, a rep from the executive committee ect all sit in on that as well and have input don't you?

Comeon my friend, you've been around me long enough to know I was gonna go down that path if you bit, and you did.

Hey, as EJ said, he wouldn't even be on the team if the Chiller wouldn't have wanted to rub it in a certain Patriots HC face.

C Mac D
01-03-2008, 09:55 AM
"Marrdro" wrote:

"C" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

"C" wrote:

Gimme a break.

;D

To see what he looked like? So they were testing players out during a MUST WIN game? Once again... I repeat... gol 'darnit Childress.

Do you really think that the HC is the only one who decides is on the roster every week?
Wait, I bet you do.
I bet you think the Chiller sits in a room all by himself, well at least with his Coord's and says, we'll play these guys?

Seriously, you know Spielmen, the medical staff, a rep from the executive committee ect all sit in on that as well and have input don't you?

Comeon my friend, you've been around me long enough to know I was gonna go down that path if you bit, and you did.

Hey, as EJ said, he wouldn't even be on the team if the Chiller wouldn't have wanted to rub it in a certain Patriots HC face.

No, he doesn't do it by himself... but as head-coach of this football team, the final say for who is on the field comes down to him. I'm glad he put Garret out there... where was he the rest of the season? Shaincoe?! Seriously?

Things Chilly DOES do by himself:

1.) Watch little children play in the park.
2.) Avoids "To Catch A Predator" the best he can.
3.) Watches reruns of "Boy Meets World" just a bit too much.
3.) Paint "Free Candy" on the side of his Van:
http://img135.imageshack.us/img135/9200/candycc3.jpg

NodakPaul
01-03-2008, 09:58 AM
"ejmat" wrote:

I love how this became a blame Childress thread. Comeon already.
Mills did look good.
He was inactive most of the year becasue they were going with the TEs they already had with experience.
You can't have every single person on the roster activated for every game so you go with your best players.
There is a reason this kid was highly regarded by several coaches to include Bellyfat.
But don't sit here and say gol 'darnit Childress for not playing him all year.
Maybe next year Mills will have his chance to beat out one of those two players.

Every thread that C Mac posts in becomes a blame Childress thread...

C Mac D
01-03-2008, 10:00 AM
"NodakPaul" wrote:

"ejmat" wrote:

Mills did look good.

Haha... ok, ok... I'm done (for now). It's just been building up for the last two losses of the season.

Marrdro
01-03-2008, 10:01 AM
"C" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

"C" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

"C" wrote:

Gimme a break.

;D

Wait, I bet you do.

No, he doesn't do it by himself... but as head-coach of this football team, the final say for who is on the field comes down to him. I'm glad he put Garret out there... where was he the rest of the season? Shaincoe?! Seriously?

All funny but you are still wrong my friend.

About the only say he does have is who gets on the field once the ROSTER is set.

Face it my friend, if I am the biggest Chilly support that you guys contend why would I keep highlighting that he actually doesn't have all the power?

Honestly, look at it from reality.
Did the Tuna have a say if TO was gonna be on the Dallas Cowboys or did the owner and the front office?

Did that lack of power eventually cause the Tuna to quit on 3 different teams?

All joking aside, the HC just doesnt have the final say in alot of things pertaining to what the "VP of Player Personnel" does.

Take the whole Foley thing for example, when Foley was fired, he was fired because both the Chiller and Studwell felt he was an idiot mostly over player personnel issue related to the 2006 draft but player moves like this as well.

Purple Floyd
01-03-2008, 10:24 AM
"C" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

"C" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

"C" wrote:

Gimme a break.

;D

Wait, I bet you do.

Come on now, I think that is getting a little too far out there.

Marrdro
01-03-2008, 10:29 AM
"C" wrote:

"NodakPaul" wrote:

"ejmat" wrote:

Mills did look good.

Haha... ok, ok... I'm done (for now). It's just been building up for the last two losses of the season.

You have been a bit off your game.

Don't worry about insulting me my friend, I enjoy the discussions.
;D

Purple Floyd
01-03-2008, 10:32 AM
"C" wrote:

"NodakPaul" wrote:

"ejmat" wrote:

Mills did look good.

Hell, for many of us it has been building since Super Bowl 4 :P ;D

C Mac D
01-03-2008, 10:43 AM
"Marrdro" wrote:

"C" wrote:

"NodakPaul" wrote:

"ejmat" wrote:

Mills did look good.

;D

I never meant to insult you at all... apologize if you took it that way.

Anywhoo... I'm excited to see Garret Mills play for the Vikings in the future. Great looking game on Sunday!

Marrdro
01-03-2008, 10:48 AM
"C" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

"C" wrote:

"NodakPaul" wrote:

"ejmat" wrote:

Mills did look good.

;D

I never meant to insult you at all... apologize if you took it that way.

Anywhoo... I'm excited to see Garret Mills play for the Vikings in the future. Great looking game on Sunday!

I knew that my friend.

That comment wasn't directed at you.
Sometimes, not always, stuff like this can be taken the wrong way.
Just didn't want our fun to be taken out of context/misunderstood.

snowinapril
01-03-2008, 10:52 AM
"UffDaVikes" wrote:

It's probably not saying much but he looked the the best pass catching TE we had on the team. I would like to see him get more reps next year to see if he can become what our current one hasn't.

I think it says a lot.

He had soft hands and great footwork to get in position to catch the ball and run.

We only saw, what, one game from him so it is difficult to say that this is how he plays every game or if it was a fluke.
I am guessing (and hoping) that it isn't a fluke.
He did look like the best TE we had all year in that game though.

Unless they have plans for Kleiny to to FB duty after T-Rich is gone, I would boot Kleiny and go with younger potential at that spot.
Shanc might be an expensive back up or on his way out also.
Will Chilly swallow his pride on this one?

GM has been in the NFL for 2 years and they stashed him away until now?
Leads me to question what I saw on the field.......
What is the real deal?

Marrdro
01-03-2008, 11:03 AM
"snowinapril" wrote:

"UffDaVikes" wrote:

I think it says a lot.

He had soft hands and great footwork to get in position to catch the ball and run.

We only saw, what, one game from him so it is difficult to say that this is how he plays every game or if it was a fluke.

Unless they have plans for Kleiny to to FB duty after T-Rich is gone, I would boot Kleiny and go with younger potential at that spot.
What is the real deal?

Our issue wasn't that our TE's were bad this year it was that they were called on to pass protect more than they were called on to participate in the meager passing attempts that we did try.

The OL made pretty good strides during the winning streak with thier protection but still have a bit of room for improvement which should come next year.
With that said, going on the assumption that our OL will pass protect better our TE's will have the lattitude to chip and then get into routes.

When that happens Shanks real talents will come out.

One thing, not to really ping on you but why is it the Chiller that would have to swallow his pride on if Shank doesn't work out.

Was it the Chiller that scouted the guy, brought him in and signed him to his contract? Seems to me that takes at least Spielman, Studwell, Bryzcheapski and yes the Chiller to get someone on the roster and not just the Chiller.

MaxVike
01-03-2008, 11:12 AM
I like the kid.
Gonna be tough for him to be a full-time TE due to his size.
6'1" 235 lbs is tough to put out there on running downs.
I think there is definitely a role for him, he can obviously catch the ball...my question would be can he block effectively enough to be in the majority of plays?

Height doesn't make you a great TE, but, it is undeniable that the best TE's are in the 6'4" range (Winslow, Gates, Donald Lee, Shiancoe
;D all 6'4", Gonzalez, Witten, Heath Miller, Heap, Shockey, Scheffler, all 6'5").
A few noteables are 6'3", Chris Cooley and L.J. Smith, with another noteable, Alge Crumpler 6'2".

I anticipate that the coaches are gonna do everything they can to get more production out of the interior passing game with the TE running straight down the field, clearing LBs.
Looks to me like Mills may have that ability.
Also, there is a TE in Philly that I would not be surprised to see Chilly pursue, namely L.J. Smith.

snowinapril
01-03-2008, 11:34 AM
"Marrdro" wrote:

"snowinapril" wrote:

"UffDaVikes" wrote:

I think it says a lot.

What is the real deal?

Our issue wasn't that our TE's were bad this year it was that they were called on to pass protect more than they were called on to participate in the meager passing attempts that we did try.

The OL made pretty good strides during the winning streak with thier protection but still have a bit of room for improvement which should come next year.
With that said, going on the assumption that our OL will pass protect better our TE's will have the lattitude to chip and then get into routes.

One thing, not to really ping on you but why is it the Chiller that would have to swallow his pride on if Shank doesn't work out.

Was it the Chiller that scouted the guy, brought him in and signed him to his contract? Seems to me that takes at least Spielman, Studwell, Bryzcheapski and yes the Chiller to get someone on the roster and not just the Chiller.

He put his endorsement on Shanc with comment like "knowing the Giants and knowing Shanc from the East Conf," at the PC when we took Shanc on.
JMHO!

I really feel that when Shanc was used, he was a disappointment.
What was it, two key fumbles, and a dropped TD pass?
That is just what I remember, there might be more than that. (side note: CT and AD had some key fumbles and I am cutting them some slack)

Marrdro
01-03-2008, 12:00 PM
"snowinapril" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

"snowinapril" wrote:

"UffDaVikes" wrote:

I think it says a lot.

What is the real deal?

He put his endorsement on Shanc with comment like "knowing the Giants and knowing Shanc from the East Conf," at the PC when we took Shanc on.
JMHO!

That is just what I remember, there might be more than that. (side note: CT and AD had some key fumbles and I am cutting them some slack)

I'll give ya the drops/fumbles.
It wasn't a highlight in my book.

As to the Chiller endorsing a player, I suspect he will do that for every player that winds up on the squad.

Overlord
01-03-2008, 12:02 PM
As people are saying, Mills looked good the two times he got tossed the ball on Sunday.
But with a sample size that small, who knows what that means?

It's the same type of deal with Shiancoe, only the opposite.
Shank had enough bad plays relative to the number of balls that went his way that people don't think he's any good.
Maybe (probably) he's not.
But maybe he was just a bit unlucky and will show us he is a better player over the long haul.

"MaxVike" wrote:

I like the kid.
I think there is definitely a role for him, he can obviously catch the ball...my question would be can he block effectively enough to be in the majority of plays?

I think this is absolutely right.
You discussed the height in detail, but other people should also be aware that he's 15-25 lbs undersized for his position.
That's probably okay as a pass catcher, but is going to be a real liability if he has to consistantly block DEs.
Without having seen anything other than the two catches, my thinking (uninformed opinion) is that he needs to bulk up if he's going to be a full-time guy.

NodakPaul
01-03-2008, 12:10 PM
"Overlord" wrote:

As people are saying, Mills looked good the two times he got tossed the ball on Sunday.
But with a sample size that small, who knows what that means?

It's the same type of deal with Shiancoe, only the opposite.
Shank had enough bad plays relative to the number of balls that went his way that people don't think he's any good.
Maybe (probably) he's not.
But maybe he was just a bit unlucky and will show us he is a better player over the long haul.

"MaxVike" wrote:

I like the kid.

I think this is absolutely right.
You discussed the height in detail, but other people should also be aware that he's 15-25 lbs undersized for his position.
That's probably okay as a pass catcher, but is going to be a real liability if he has to consistantly block DEs.
Without having seen anything other than the two catches, my thinking (uninformed opinion) is that he needs to bulk up if he's going to be a full-time guy.

That is a very good point Overlord.
We have a very limited amount of plays to judge from, and probably shouldn't get too high on him just yet.
I do think that his performance at least earned him a chance to compete in training camp next year though.

V4L
01-03-2008, 12:12 PM
He was supposed to be good out of college

And never has really had a shot..

So lets make it happen

snowinapril
01-03-2008, 03:03 PM
"Marrdro" wrote:

"snowinapril" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

"snowinapril" wrote:

"UffDaVikes" wrote:

I think it says a lot.

What is the real deal?

JMHO!

As to the Chiller endorsing a player, I suspect he will do that for every player that winds up on the squad.

True, I thought the same thing when I wrote it.

"Seeing them (the Giants) 2 times a year"

Chilly went out of his way to endorse Shanc.

I will put ownership on Chilly for playing Shanc that is for sure.
After watching Kleiny late in the season and then Mills this last game, it has made me wonder if Shanc was the best option out there.

Marrdro
01-03-2008, 03:17 PM
"snowinapril" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

"snowinapril" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

"snowinapril" wrote:

I think it says a lot.

What is the real deal?

JMHO!

True, I thought the same thing when I wrote it.

"Seeing them (the Giants) 2 times a year"

Chilly went out of his way to endorse Shanc.

I will put ownership on Chilly for playing Shanc that is for sure.
After watching Kleiny late in the season and then Mills this last game, it has made me wonder if Shanc was the best option out there.

Very nice......

I kindof think that eventually the staffs choice of getting him will pan out next year if for no other reason than better OL play and QB play as well.

As to who is open during any game time situation doesn't really play to a skill level but rather what the D did at any given instant.

Mills nice show I attribute to the fact that our OL was handling thier smallish DL pretty well which gave the TE's time to chip/get out in the routes as well as TJ time to get through his progressions.

Usually, unless the TE is the prime target, he is the 3rd option in the reads in a WCO.
AGain, it takes time for a young QB to get to that read even if the OL can protect him.

AngloVike
01-03-2008, 03:37 PM
"snowinapril" wrote:

I think it says a lot.

What is the real deal?

Now was Mills the one that Childress snuck away from under Belichick's nose when the Pats tried to slip him through waivers?
If so then maybe Chilly knew something that a lot of others didn't

Overlord
01-03-2008, 03:54 PM
"AngloVike" wrote:

"snowinapril" wrote:

I think it says a lot.

What is the real deal?

Now was Mills the one that Childress snuck away from under Belichick's nose when the Pats tried to slip him through waivers?
If so then maybe Chilly knew something that a lot of others didn't

Yeah, Mills is the guy.

I don't know what that means exactly.
Childress, or more accurately someone in the scouting department, must have seen this kid at some point and liked him.
Probably tried to bring him in after the 2006 draft or something.

EDIT: Just checked and he was drafted in the 4th round by the Patriots but listed as a RB on NFL.com.
So we probably had him on our board at that time.
That's what I meant to say the first time...

C Mac D
01-03-2008, 03:56 PM
Mills is gonna fit nicely into our scheme I think. Best part is, his acquisition pissed off Belichick. Gotta love that.