PDA

View Full Version : Four areas of concern for the Minnesota Vikings

COJOMAY
01-02-2008, 10:11 AM
Here are four areas the Vikings must address during the offseason
http://www.twincities.com/vikings/ci_7859075
The 2007 season is in the books, and free agency and the NFL draft are still two or three months away, but there's no time like the present to put the Vikings under the microscope.

With players reporting for their final meeting today, here are four areas the team must address during the offseason.

1. PASSING GAME

It all starts at quarterback and whether the Vikings decide Tarvaris Jackson did enough in his first season as the starter to return as the unchallenged No. 1...

NodakPaul
01-02-2008, 10:17 AM
I don't think there is EVER an unchallenged #1 for any spot in training camp.
Childress has pretty much said the same the past two years.

Marrdro
01-02-2008, 10:18 AM
Very nice read my friend.
A couple of comments.....

I don't think Wade was ever brought in as a solution as a PR.
I think he was forced into that role because of week to week roster decisions because of injuries, limiting the use of Memo.

Pass rush.
Pretty telling stat that Edwards still lead us in sacks after missing those games.
We really need a RDE.

ejmat
01-02-2008, 10:54 AM
"Marrdro" wrote:

I think he was forced into that role because of week to week roster decisions because of injuries, limiting the use of Memo.

Pass rush.
Pretty telling stat that Edwards still lead us in sacks after missing those games.
We really need a RDE.

Very true my friend.
I think a good pass rushing RDE would solve a lot of the pass defense woes.
If they can show they can get a good pass rush with the front line, the LBers can stay away for pass coverage in the middle which has been a thorn in their sides the past 2 seasons.
That being said, a good RDE could also help the younger CBs such as Griffith and McCauley.
Sharper will probably stay and Gordon or Frampton may spell Smith becasue I do not think he will be back.
I'd like to see Doss and/or TWilliams come back to add depth and good veteran presence.

Marrdro
01-02-2008, 11:03 AM
"ejmat" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

Pass rush.
We really need a RDE.

Very true my friend.
If they can show they can get a good pass rush with the front line, the LBers can stay away for pass coverage in the middle which has been a thorn in their sides the past 2 seasons.
That being said, a good RDE could also help the younger CBs such as Griffith and McCauley.
Sharper will probably stay and Gordon or Frampton may spell Smith becasue I do not think he will be back.
I'd like to see Doss and/or TWilliams come back to add depth and good veteran presence.

You know me, I blame all failures by the teams on thier respective lines beit offense or defense.

On defense if you can't get pressure on the QB with your front 4 and do it consistently with your RDE (Right hand QB) or LDE (Left hand QB) then you allow him to stand back there all day long waiting for someone to get open.

I don't care how good your secondary is.
Eventually someone will get open under that scenario.

ejmat
01-02-2008, 11:17 AM
"Marrdro" wrote:

"ejmat" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

Pass rush.
We really need a RDE.

Very true my friend.

You know me, I blame all failures by the teams on thier respective lines beit offense or defense.

On defense if you can't get pressure on the QB with your front 4 and do it consistently with your RDE (Right hand QB) or LDE (Left hand QB) then you allow him to stand back there all day long waiting for someone to get open.

I don't care how good your secondary is.
Eventually someone will get open under that scenario.

Absolutely.
Maybe someone can step up and become a dominate DE but I'd really like to go after Suggs or even Jared Allen.

jmcdon00
01-02-2008, 11:20 AM
I think the #1 need on this team is a true #1 receiver. That will open up the run game and make Jackson's job a lot easier. (yeah, I think Jackson starts next season). I think we could have one of the top scoring offenses. Add in an above average defense and the vikes win the division.

V4L
01-02-2008, 11:42 AM
"jmcdon00" wrote:

I think the #1 need on this team is a true #1 receiver. That will open up the run game and make Jackson's job a lot easier. (yeah, I think Jackson starts next season). I think we could have one of the top scoring offenses. Add in an above average defense and the vikes win the division.

I agree

Our offense struggled far more then our Defense.. Expecially when we couldn't see to get those big runs we wanted

A Wr would open things up quite a bit.. WR should be our first look

DE a close second.. That would help alot of our big problems

Marrdro
01-02-2008, 11:46 AM
"jmcdon00" wrote:

Its almost like a 1 and 1A priority for me.

I guess because I liked to play defense more than I did offense I tend to lean towards that area in close analysis.

I believe that if we had a better RDE we could have got off the field more often, allowing the offense more tries to be a top scoring team, well at least a better scoring team with the talent we had.

Long story short, they can go out and address both positions as a number one priority if we can get the front office to spend the money wisely in the FA market.

BleedinPandG
01-02-2008, 11:51 AM
"Marrdro" wrote:

"jmcdon00" wrote:

I guess because I liked to play defense more than I did offense I tend to lean towards that area in close analysis.

I believe that if we had a better RDE we could have got off the field more often, allowing the offense more tries to be a top scoring team, well at least a better scoring team with the talent we had.

Long story short, they can go out and address both positions as a number one priority if we can get the front office to spend the money wisely in the FA market.

Good Offense attracts fans and gets a new stadium... a top notch wideout would allow us to sustain more drives, keeping our O on the field longer and our D on the sidelines where they can't give up yards and thereby reducing the need for a good RDE... argument goes both ways :)
Perfect scenario, get both, dominate on O and D as the Pats are doing (Number 1 scoring O, tied for Number 1 D in points allowed).

Marrdro
01-02-2008, 11:54 AM
"BleedinPandG" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

"jmcdon00" wrote:

Good Offense attracts fans and gets a new stadium... a top notch wideout would allow us to sustain more drives, keeping our O on the field longer and our D on the sidelines where they can't give up yards and thereby reducing the need for a good RDE... argument goes both ways :)
Perfect scenario, get both, dominate on O and D as the Pats are doing (Number 1 scoring O, tied for Number 1 D in points allowed).

You are very wise indeed.

Good thing is, we have a good situation here, decent CAP space and there appears to be some options available this year both in the FA market (immediate upgrade) as well as in the draft (depth).

BleedinPandG
01-02-2008, 11:57 AM
"Marrdro" wrote:

"BleedinPandG" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

"jmcdon00" wrote:

Good thing is, we have a good situation here, decent CAP space and there appears to be some options available this year both in the FA market (immediate upgrade) as well as in the draft (depth).

Question is, does the management staff acknowledge we are only a few pieces away from making a SB run and put all the money on the table or do they continue to build through the draft for the future and be thrifty in FA to keep CAP space available for future years... I still think that's what they did last year both because of a weak FA class and also because this was a building year... I will be very disappointed if they do it again indicating to me that they believe next year is a building year as well.

Marrdro
01-02-2008, 12:03 PM
"BleedinPandG" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

"BleedinPandG" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

"jmcdon00" wrote:

Question is, does the management staff acknowledge we are only a few pieces away from making a SB run and put all the money on the table or do they continue to build through the draft for the future and be thrifty in FA to keep CAP space available for future years... I still think that's what they did last year both because of a weak FA class and also because this was a building year... I will be very disappointed if they do it again indicating to me that they believe next year is a building year as well.

If that is the case I can live with it as long as they are up front with us.

Fans are easily swayed by negative or postive press.
The Vikings organization, specifically the PR department needs to do a better job in giving its fans a bit of info on team vision/goals.

Look I'm not saying come out and tell me they are gonna draft player X or go after FA Y but at least give me a hint of thier big picture plans.

Even though they made a half hearted attempt last year at it, it did hold water with me and made sense.
They need to do the same this year.

ejmat
01-02-2008, 12:07 PM
"Marrdro" wrote:

"BleedinPandG" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

"BleedinPandG" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

If that is the case I can live with it as long as they are up front with us.

Fans are easily swayed by negative or postive press.
The Vikings organization, specifically the PR department needs to do a better job in giving its fans a bit of info on team vision/goals.

Look I'm not saying come out and tell me they are gonna draft player X or go after FA Y but at least give me a hint of thier big picture plans.

Even though they made a half hearted attempt last year at it, it did hold water with me and made sense.
They need to do the same this year.

I hear what you are saying Marrdro but I would be happy finding out via the draft or FA myself.
IMO, no need to
tip the hat as to what they are doing to make other teams jump them in terms of drafting.
Remember what happened with Kellen Clemons?
You can even throw Cutler in there but not as good as an example as I believe Denver would have traded up regardless.

Purple Floyd
01-02-2008, 12:35 PM
These are the same concerns we have had going into the last 2 seasons. It's a broken record at this time. The question is are we going to approach it the same way we have been approaching it and hoping for a different result or are we going to change the way we approach the problem.

Marrdro
01-02-2008, 01:18 PM
"UffDaVikes" wrote:

These are the same concerns we have had going into the last 2 seasons. It's a broken record at this time. The question is are we going to approach it the same way we have been approaching it and hoping for a different result or are we going to change the way we approach the problem.

Great question.
I guess we would have to have a quick look into the inner workings of Winter Park to know how guys like Spielmen, Studwell and the Ownership feel we are with respect to the approach they have taken.

Things to consider as we try to guess at what they are thinking.

a.
They have had two solid drafts.
b.
The coaching staff has shown that these kids can be coached and can play but at a level not quiet up to NFL standards.
c.
Will those kids be up to the task next year with the addition of just more kids or will some Key FA be needed.
d.
How much will the lack of revenue come into play with respect to the ownership and their budget.
Will it be big enough to touch all of the CAP or a good share of it.
e.
How much of a loss will the ownership be willing to take with respect to thier fan base if they don't bring in a "Big Name" "Vet"?

I for one, hope (at least I have convinced myself) that the ownership wanted to take one more year off to see were they were headed before making anymore investments in this team (i.e. FA) to see were the talent level will be not only for next year but in the out years.

My worst fear is that they are letting the lack of any semblance of support for a stadium drive thier monetary investments into this team in an effort to save $$$$ prior to a move.

All very scary when you think big picture crap while trying to read the tea leaves.

PurplePride80
01-02-2008, 01:37 PM
"ejmat" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

Pass rush.
We really need a RDE.

Very true my friend.

Exactly. When you can get a consistent pass rush from the front four, it allows your 3 linebackers to drop back into pass coverage. The Carolina Panthers did a great job of this when they made that run to the Superbowl a few years back. But, it's not like we haven't tried to acquire a playmaker at defensive. We've spent 2 first round draft picks on that position, but neither of them have panned out.

But yeah, I couldn't agree with you more. If we can just add one DE who could consistently rush the passer, it would really improve our defense.

Purple Floyd
01-02-2008, 09:14 PM
"Marrdro" wrote:

"UffDaVikes" wrote:

Great question.
I guess we would have to have a quick look into the inner workings of Winter Park to know how guys like Spielmen, Studwell and the Ownership feel we are with respect to the approach they have taken.

a.
b.
The coaching staff has shown that these kids can be coached and can play but at a level not quiet up to NFL standards.
c.
Will those kids be up to the task next year with the addition of just more kids or will some Key FA be needed.
d.
How much will the lack of revenue come into play with respect to the ownership and their budget.
e.
How much of a loss will the ownership be willing to take with respect to thier fan base if they don't bring in a "Big Name" "Vet"?

I for one, hope (at least I have convinced myself) that the ownership wanted to take one more year off to see were they were headed before making anymore investments in this team (i.e. FA) to see were the talent level will be not only for next year but in the out years.

My worst fear is that they are letting the lack of any semblance of support for a stadium drive thier monetary investments into this team in an effort to save $$$$ prior to a move.

All very scary when you think big picture crap while trying to read the tea leaves.

They aren't hurting for money. The day I see Wilf on the corner of Lake and Hennepin with a tin cup asking for handouts I will know he is hurting. Right now money is not a problem for them.

They have not dipped into the extra cap money to pay their health insurance or electric bill at Winter Park yet. That money is there to spend, they just need to go after guys and get it done. ;D

Marrdro
01-03-2008, 11:25 AM
"UffDaVikes" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

"UffDaVikes" wrote:

Great question.

a.
b.
c.
d.
e.

They aren't hurting for money. The day I see Wilf on the corner of Lake and Hennepin with a tin cup asking for handouts I will know he is hurting. Right now money is not a problem for them.

They have not dipped into the extra cap money to pay their health insurance or electric bill at Winter Park yet. That money is there to spend, they just need to go after guys and get it done. ;D

And that is because they are shrewd businessmen.
The day you see them spending willy nilly will be the day you see them on the corner of Lake and Hennipen.
;D

Purple Floyd
01-03-2008, 09:44 PM
"Marrdro" wrote:

"UffDaVikes" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

"UffDaVikes" wrote:

Great question.

a.
b.
c.
d.
e.

And that is because they are shrewd businessmen.
The day you see them spending willy nilly will be the day you see them on the corner of Lake and Hennipen.
;D

Nice sidestep,
You know the Waltz?

;) ;D