PDA

View Full Version : Vikings vs. Broncos pre-game articles - AD could get free rein

singersp
12-26-2007, 07:21 AM
Minnesota Vikings' Adrian Peterson could get free rein against porous Broncos defense (http://www.twincities.com/vikings/ci_7807598?nclick_check=1)

Porous Broncos defense might spell relief for Vikings rookie, whose fast start has cooled

BY DON SEEHOLZER
Pioneer Press

Article Last Updated: 12/25/2007 09:30:30 PM CST

For Adrian Peterson, running room and yards have been hard to come by in the past three games, but the Vikings' star rookie still has a chance to close the season with a rush.....

hx38596
12-26-2007, 10:31 AM
I doubt it.
Coach will have him on sidelines 'saving' him for something.
I put the over/under at 11 carries.

Marrdro
12-26-2007, 10:34 AM
The Bronco's D isn't anywere as good as the last two we faced, however, when we looked at the Boars going into that one we thought the same thing.

Funny how a D can put two games together like they did against us and then the hated PUKERS.

I look for the team to try to get AD some yards.
Cant read the article, but does it give how much he needs?
Think the talking heads said something like 113 or so behind LT.

NodakPaul
12-26-2007, 10:38 AM
"hx38596" wrote:

I doubt it.

LOL.
Shit.
I'll take that over.
The Vikes still have an outside chance at the playoffs, and since the Dallas-Washington game is at the same time as the Denver-Minnesota game, they won't know whether a win gets them in or not.
But they know that a loss ends their season.

AP gets no less than 25 touches.

hx38596
12-26-2007, 11:24 AM
"NodakPaul" wrote:

"hx38596" wrote:

I doubt it.

LOL.
pooh.
I'll take that over.
The Vikes still have an outside chance at the playoffs, and since the Dallas-Washington game is at the same time as the Denver-Minnesota game, they won't know whether a win gets them in or not.

I hope you're right.

V4L
12-26-2007, 11:28 AM
"hx38596" wrote:

"NodakPaul" wrote:

"hx38596" wrote:

I doubt it.

LOL.
pooh.
I'll take that over.

I hope you're right.

He is right!!

No way he gets that many touches again

No way T-jack passes for 41 times again

singersp
12-26-2007, 08:57 PM
"Marrdro" wrote:

The Bronco's D isn't anywere as good as the last two we faced, however, when we looked at the Boars going into that one we thought the same thing.

Funny how a D can put two games together like they did against us and then the hated PUKERS.

That's exactly right Mar, 113 yards. He also trails Willy Parker by 11.

x-ray jeff
12-26-2007, 09:41 PM
"hx38596" wrote:

"NodakPaul" wrote:

"hx38596" wrote:

I doubt it.

I hope you're right.

I wanna see Peterson get as many touches as he can handle.
Use Jackson on roll-outs with the option to run on some plays.
An option play.
Peterson throwing. Use K.Will on offense. A fake punt or field goal . Keep everybody as fresh as they can with subs, and just have fun breaking .500 this
season.

VikingMike
12-26-2007, 10:54 PM
All I've heard since San Fran is how we're facing a bad run defense and AD should run wild. Unless we can get some semblance of a passing game early on, they'll just put 8 or 9 in the box and challenge us to do something in the air. If that happens, our coaches have make adjustments a little earlier than they did against the Skins.

V4L
12-27-2007, 12:15 AM
"singersp" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

That's exactly right Mar, 113 yards. He also trails Willy Parker by 11.

Lets hope he can manage atleast 11 yards :)

Frostbite
12-27-2007, 12:28 AM
"x-ray" wrote:

"hx38596" wrote:

"NodakPaul" wrote:

"hx38596" wrote:

I doubt it.

LOL.
pooh.
I'll take that over.

I hope you're right.

I wanna see Peterson get as many touches as he can handle. I would also like to see Brooks start with a couple slants , or at least a couple throws. Use Jackson on roll-outs with the option to run on some plays too. Keep everybody as fresh as they can with subs, and just have fun breaking .500 this
season.

Me too...but not necessarily with handoffs left, middle, or right, directly into another 8 fan stacked defensive front. We have to get more creative with both he and C.Tay. Swing Passes, Pitches outside, putting either guy in the slot as a receiver, forcing the Broncos to commit a LB or safety to cover them. Screens, passes to the flats, play action fakes to them and then coming back to them after they get to the corners.

Look....AD and C.Tay are both huge play makers if given the chance. Either one is one step...one fake...or one missed tackle away from 6 pts. The Coaches must find a way to get them the ball in space...so they can get that first step and make people miss tackles.

In Addition...this type of controlled short passing attack on first and second downs....to be less predictable...keeps the defense guessing more and will open up the run later on. It will more importantly allow T.Jack to build some confidence with easy early short throws. This will help him later with deeper play action pass routes.

The Coaches need to help him play within his confidence level early on so he can build some momentum and get into a rythm. Denver is going to try to do exactly the same thing Washington did. Our game plan has to have new wrinkles designed to open up the field and allow for more uses of our play makers if we are to have any chance to win at mile high.

Cheers!

singersp
12-27-2007, 06:54 AM
Vikings at Broncos (http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/preview?gameId=20071230007)

msn.foxsports.com

Preview

Five straight wins gave the Minnesota Vikings a chance to control their own destiny. It only took one loss to put their fate into another team's hands.....

singersp
12-27-2007, 07:17 AM
Wednesday practice update (http://nc.startribune.com/blogs/vikings/?p=1250)

December 26th, 2007 – 1:53 PM
by Kevin Seifert
startribune.com

The Vikings are taking an all-hands-on-deck mentality this week as they prepare for Sunday’s game against Denver. That means CB Antoine Winfield (partially torn pectoral muscle) and WR Sidney Rice (high right ankle sprain) were on the practice field this afternoon and, in the word of coach Brad Childress, are “pushing” to be able to play Sunday....

singersp
12-27-2007, 07:18 AM
Thin air (http://nc.startribune.com/blogs/vikings/?p=1249)

December 26th, 2007 – 1:22 PM

by Judd Zulgad
startribune.com

One of the main questions asked of Vikings players today during the media-access period was about playing in the high altitude in Denver.....

singersp
12-27-2007, 07:28 AM
Ex-teammate Johnson could help: No longer in control of their playoff destiny...

Moving on: No one is more eager for Sunday's game to arrive than quarterback Tarvaris Jackson...

Winfield hopeful: Wearing a brace to protect his injured left shoulder...

Injury report:Defensive tackle Pat Williams was given the day off...

http://www.twincities.com/vikings/ci_7816539

singersp
12-27-2007, 07:30 AM
Players warned about dehydration at Denver's high altitude (http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/12840696.html)

By JUDD ZULGAD, Star Tribune

Last update: December 26, 2007 - 10:37 PM

Vikings safety Darren Sharper said the most important thing about preparing for Sunday's game in Denver won't be making the adjustment to being a mile above sea level in Colorado, but rather drinking a sufficient amount of water before leaving on the trip....

singersp
12-27-2007, 07:32 AM
Injured say they will try to lend hand vs. Broncos (http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/12840711.html)

Antoine Winfield, Sidney Rice and other Vikings aren't 100 percent but want to play with a playoff berth hanging in the balance.

By KEVIN SEIFERT, Star Tribune

Last update: December 27, 2007 - 5:25 AM

If today were Sept. 27 instead of Dec. 27, Antoine Winfield probably wouldn't have faced the questions he fielded Wednesday....

PurpleTide
12-27-2007, 08:16 AM
Hopefully this week Adrian can get past the stacked front we'll undoubtably see against the Broncos. If we can't crack AD loose then we'd better make realtime adjustments, and by golly we sure have seen enough to have some idea what to do. We can't wait til halftime to shake it up either. The thin air in Denver won't be as much a problem as the thin ice we've put ourselves on by loosing our grasp last week.

It would be nice to have all hands on deck with Rice and Winfield back, but if they hurt themselves and we somehow sqeek intro the playoffs that would hurt our chances of winning a game in the postseason.

singersp
12-28-2007, 07:07 AM
Vikings vs. Broncos (http://www.vikings.com/NewsArticle_DenGameNotes_122707.aspx)

vikings.com

12/27/2007

Check out the Game Notes for this Sunday’s game as the Vikings travel to the Mile High City to take on the Denver Broncos at 3:15 p.m. CST.....

singersp
12-28-2007, 07:09 AM
The injury report (http://nc.startribune.com/blogs/vikings/?p=1257)

December 27th, 2007 – 5:43 PM

by Judd Zulgad
startribune.com

Nose tackle Pat Williams missed a second consecutive day of practice Thursday because of knee and elbow injuries. The elbow problem was a new addition on today’s report. Coach Brad Childress expressed no concern about Williams missing Sunday’s game at Denver...

singersp
12-28-2007, 07:13 AM
Thursday practice update (http://nc.startribune.com/blogs/vikings/?p=1254)

December 27th, 2007 – 1:56 PM

by Judd Zulgad
startribune.com

Nose tackle Pat Williams is not practicing for a second consecutive day because of a knee injury suffered Sunday against Washington. Williams has played through knee problems before so this likely will not be an issue for Sunday’s game in Denver.........

singersp
12-28-2007, 07:40 AM
BUILT TO RUN (http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/12871486.html)

The Vikings won't abandon the ground game, but they'll have to figure out how to gain yardage against defenses stacked at the line of scrimmage.

Last update: December 28, 2007 - 1:34 AM

In some ways, the hard part is over. After all, as Denver Broncos safety John Lynch said this week, the Vikings offense has accomplished one of the most difficult feats in football....

COJOMAY
12-28-2007, 10:29 AM
This is an interesting article. Here's some quotes that answer some of the questions us fans have been talking about...

Rather than devising new ways to deploy their historically under-utilized passing game, the Vikings have spent this week working to defeat what tailback Chester Taylor half-jokingly referred to as "10-man fronts."
"We are never going to stray too far from the run," offensive coordinator Darrell Bevell said. "That is what we are built for. We've got two great backs back there. We've got a great offensive line. We've got the best blocking tight end ... in Jimmy [Kleinsasser]. That is our strength. We will continue to use it and we will take our shots outside when we can."

The Vikings have been slow to adjust as opposing defenses have grown increasingly determined to stop the running game...But needing a victory Sunday to maintain their playoff hopes, the Vikings seem more comfortable relying on the run rather than changing course and suddenly putting the game in Jackson's hands on a cold and potentially windy day in Denver.

"We have to," Taylor said. "That's the strength of our offense right now. We've just got to establish it. We know what we have to do. ... We're not going to try to force it. We know what we've done all year. We're going to try to control the line of scrimmage and execute it just right."

One possibility, coach Brad Childress said, is to add an extra receiver to personnel groupings "to account for that eighth guy." It's also not out of the question that the Vikings will dust off their early-season formations that included Peterson and Taylor on the field at the same time.

Marrdro
12-28-2007, 10:35 AM
Thanks COJO, for some reason I can't get any articles to open today.
Got the minions looking at it.

I find this kindof interesting.....

One possibility, coach Brad Childress said, is to add an extra receiver to personnel groupings "to account for that eighth guy." It's also not out of the question that the Vikings will dust off their early-season formations that included Peterson and Taylor on the field at the same time.

Kindof blows some of the Yutz's out of the water when they try to convince us that we don't do certain things.

You silly guys just crack me up sometimes with were you get stuff that just isn't what is really happening.
Listening to too many talking heads I presume instead of really watching the game.
;D

The Dropper
12-28-2007, 11:02 AM
"Marrdro" wrote:

Kindof blows some of the Yutz's out of the water when they try to convince us that we don't do certain things.

You silly guys just crack me up sometimes with were you get stuff that just isn't what is really happening.
Listening to too many talking heads I presume instead of really watching the game.

;D

That line kind of surprised me. I know that I've been looking for formations with both on the field at the same time all year, but I don't remember any. Where have the split back formations been, exactly?

Guess I'm a "silly guy" and a "yutz." Meh, could be worse.

Marrdro
12-28-2007, 11:08 AM
"The" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

;D

That line kind of surprised me. I know that I've been looking for formations with both on the field at the same time all year, but I don't remember any. Where have the split back formations been, exactly?

Drop you aren't a yutz, at least in my book.

You gotta keep in mind that often times a team will try to disguise what they are trying to do and if it isn't
executed properly and fails it will be missed by most fans.

That is why I love watching shows like the ones they have on NFLN called "AFC Playbook" "NFC Playbook" and to see the stuff Jaws, Mort and the Factor Back do on ESPN.

Someday soon, I hope, the NFLN will let us have more access to "Game Tape" so that we can see the whole field, replay it at our leasure and break crap like this down.

Sounds silly but I like watching the replays a hell of alot more than I do the actual live play.
You get to see so much more detail.
By the way, HD if the shit for seeing details.

The Dropper
12-28-2007, 11:20 AM
"Marrdro" wrote:

"The" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

;D

You gotta keep in mind that often times a team will try to disguise what they are trying to do and if it isn't

That is why I love watching shows like the ones they have on NFLN called "AFC Playbook" "NFC Playbook" and to see the stuff Jaws, Mort and the Factor Back do on ESPN.

Someday soon, I hope, the NFLN will let us have more access to "Game Tape" so that we can see the whole field, replay it at our leasure and break crap like this down.

Sounds silly but I like watching the replays a hell of alot more than I do the actual live play.
By the way, HD if the shit for seeing details.

Absolutely. It's the chess match that makes football great (well, and the crushing hits, and the cheerleaders, and the dynamic plays, and...OK everything about football is great. ;D).

I was speaking more to the point about using split backs though, and how frustrating it is never seeing both running backs out there at the same time. This is something Singer has commented on as well (credit where due). It seems to me that it would be a fantastic ploy to get defenses confused as to what is going on, and would really open up options against the 8 and 9 man fronts because you'd have an extra blocker and decoy in the backfield.

I do recall from an article last year (don't ask me why I remember this) when we played the Seahawks that Childress was commenting on how Holmgren still used an old-school style WCO. Childress was kind of jokingly making fun that Holmgren even still used split backs, so I wonder if maybe he just has an aversion to the formation? Either way I still don't remember him using it.

COJOMAY
12-28-2007, 11:25 AM
Childress used it some this year but earlier in the season as I recall. I think the trouble is that Peterson is not a good blocking back (Notice he almost always comes out in passing situations). So it's almost obvious who's going to get the ball when they both are in there. The only advantage is they get an extra blocker in Taylor. Maybe they should put three in the backfield (Peterson, Taylor, and a fullback) to get extra blocking at the point of attack?
:D

Marrdro
12-28-2007, 11:30 AM
"The" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

"The" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

;D

By the way, HD if the pooh for seeing details.

Absolutely. It's the chess match that makes football great (well, and the crushing hits, and the cheerleaders, and the dynamic plays, and...OK everything about football is great. ;D).

I was speaking more to the point about using split backs though, and how frustrating it is never seeing both running backs out there at the same time. This is something Singer has commented on as well (credit where due). It seems to me that it would be a fantastic ploy to get defenses confused as to what is going on, and would really open up options against the 8 and 9 man fronts because you'd have an extra blocker and decoy in the backfield.

I do recall from an article last year (don't ask me why I remember this) when we played the Seahawks that Childress was commenting on how Holmgren still used an old-school style WCO. Childress was kind of jokingly making fun that Holmgren even still used split backs, so I wonder if maybe he just has an aversion to the formation? Either way I still don't remember him using it.

Let me go back and search my comments/inputs in the "Official Thoughts and Observations" threads. If I can't find it there I will have it in my game notes, however, they have used this formation several times this year.

Kindof funny, alot of guys and I discussed it at lenght because of the issues around putting two running backs out there and the risks/rewards of doing it.

I guess if push came to shove I would support/like to use it if they don't feature/keep both in the backfield but spread one guy out.
In essence, if they aren't split out then the one RB really becomes a FB and our RB's shouldn't take that kind of punishment just to try to decive someone.

If they split them out, not sure what that achieves either as you are now putting a RB into a WR mode.
Why not just add the 3rd WR in lieu of the second RB or FB, again, who are you decieving?

Long story short, not a big fan of doing it, however, it has been done several times this year.

Anyway, it is slow, let me see if I can find the numbers for ya.

happy camper
12-28-2007, 11:50 AM
I am pretty sure they never used the two back formation in a game. I am guessing they have practiced it earlier this year, which what may have been what the article was alluding to.

Marrdro
12-28-2007, 12:00 PM
"happy" wrote:

I am pretty sure they never used the two back formation in a game. I am guessing they have practiced it earlier this year, which what may have been what the article was alluding to.

Not to argue just to argue but they did.
Infact, if memory serves the Lions game was the first one.

Its way to hard trying to find the info on here.
I will go through my game notes and give you the numbers later this evening.

As COJO said, it was earlier in the year.
Haven't seen it since AD got hurt in the GB game though.

happy camper
12-28-2007, 12:03 PM
I would be surprised, I feel like I should remember it if they did.

Maybe they did, you have me doubting my memory now.

The Dropper
12-29-2007, 12:32 AM
"Marrdro" wrote:

"happy" wrote:

Not to argue just to argue but they did.
Infact, if memory serves the Lions game was the first one.

Its way to hard trying to find the info on here.
I will go through my game notes and give you the numbers later this evening.

As COJO said, it was earlier in the year.
Haven't seen it since AD got hurt in the GB game though.

I swear I've been looking for it but haven't seen it. Methinks less beer during games could be a good thing for the liver and the memory.
;D

singersp
12-29-2007, 08:15 AM
Winfield, P. Williams and Rice questionable (http://nc.startribune.com/blogs/vikings/?p=1259)

December 28th, 2007 – 1:53 PM

by Kevin Seifert,
startribune.com

The Vikings officially will list CB Antoine Winfield, DT Pat Williams and WR Sidney Rice as questionable for Sunday’s game at Denver....

singersp
12-29-2007, 08:23 AM
Winfield decision day away (http://www.twincities.com/vikings/ci_7832324?nclick_check=1)

Cornerback hopes to play Sunday

BY DON SEEHOLZER
Pioneer Press

Article Last Updated: 12/29/2007 12:05:59 AM CST

With the possible exception of cornerback Antoine Winfield, the Vikings are expected to be close to full strength Sunday for their regular-season finale at Denver.....

singersp
12-29-2007, 08:45 AM
Vikings notebook: Battling Broncos means braving Denver's 'cold' (http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/12904041.html)

The Vikings have performed poorly in outdoor December games in recent years, losing 13 of their past 15.

Last update: December 28, 2007 - 10:35 PM

Forecasters are calling for relatively balmy weather Sunday by Denver's standards: sunny with a high of 41 degrees....

singersp
12-29-2007, 08:46 AM
Vikes hope to slow Marshall (http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/12904051.html)

The Broncos' receiver with a breakout season poses a challenge to the Vikings, as they attempt Sunday to extend their own season.

By JUDD ZULGAD, Star Tribune

Last update: December 28, 2007 - 10:43 PM

Although Cedric Griffin and Brandon Marshall were selected only two rounds apart in the 2006 NFL draft, Griffin admits he wasn't familiar with Marshall during their collegiate careers.....

singersp
12-29-2007, 08:55 AM
A Closer Look (http://www.vikings.com/NewsArticle_acloserlook122807.aspx)

12/28/2007

By Mike Wobschall, vikings.com

The Vikings are preparing to wrap up the 2007 regular season with a trip to the Mile High City and a date with the Denver Broncos. The Vikings and Broncos haven’t seen each other since October of 2003, when Minnesota edged their AFC foe by a score of 28-20.....

singersp
12-29-2007, 08:57 AM
NFL Preview - Minnesota (8-7) at Denver (6-9) (http://www.kansascity.com/491/story/420827.html)

Posted on Thu, Dec. 27, 2007 08:51 PM

By Michael Rushton, Sports Network
The Sports Network

Last weekend, the Minnesota Vikings had a playoff berth in their hands. Now the club needs some help to reach the postseason. Step one comes this Sunday in Denver, where Minnesota will battle the Broncos at Invesco Field at Mile High....

singersp
12-29-2007, 08:58 AM
Vikings at Broncos - What to watch for (http://www.milehighreport.com/story/2007/12/28/14121/911)

By hoosierteacher
milehighreport.com

Posted on Fri Dec 28, 2007 at 02:01:21 PM EDT

Last game prep of the year gang!
I'm sorry it IS the last game of the season, and I'm sorry it's the second losing season in the Shanahan era.....

singersp
12-29-2007, 09:02 AM
Paulescu wins punt-off to be Broncos punter against Vikings (http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2007/12/28/sports/FBN-Broncos-Punter.php)

The Associated Press
iht.com

Published: December 29, 2007

ENGLEWOOD, Colo.: Sam Paulescu will be the Broncos' third punter in as many weeks Sunday against the Vikings after winning a punt-off in frigid conditions Friday...

The Dropper
12-29-2007, 02:25 PM
"singersp" wrote:

Vikings at Broncos - What to watch for (http://www.milehighreport.com/story/2007/12/28/14121/911)

By hoosierteacher
milehighreport.com

I'm sorry it IS the last game of the season, and I'm sorry it's the second losing season in the Shanahan era.....

This is a great read by a well-spoken Bronco fan. He obviously did his homework as the analysis is very well done. I like our chances more in this game all the time.

Marrdro
12-29-2007, 03:08 PM
"The" wrote:

"singersp" wrote:

By hoosierteacher
milehighreport.com

This is a great read by a well-spoken Bronco fan. He obviously did his homework as the analysis is very well done. I like our chances more in this game all the time.

Drop, I also found it a very interesting read.

I found alot of good nuggets in there that alude to the fact that we run a hybrid of sorts in all facets of our offense and defense and I gotta agree with him.

For instance......

They haven't completed the conversion to ideal linemen to run the system.
But the linemen they have are either built for the system or compensated for by pulling the bigger linemen into individual block assignments.
Most off the linemen will slant and block their zones, while the "oversized" guys will pull and run interference directly for the back (as a FB would).
This shows a level of sophistication that most sophomore zoneblock teams don't exhibit, in my opinion.

Mr. A and I had a good thread going on this very subject.
He contended that our OL were to big to run the ZB scheme and I contended that size wasn't the key factor but thier speed and athleticism.
I took that one step further and used some of our 3 cone and short shuttle times to show that our guys were indeed faster than the smaller Denver blockers.

To tell the truth I haven't really dug into our DL play that much but I can now see that I have to do some research.
Very interesting stuff to say the least.

I have read descriptions of MINN being a Tampa-2 system team, but I think they are an odd variation of the cover-2 and not a true Tampa defense.
This was my first surprise studying for this prep.

First, they have strong, powerful DTs that do a great job stopping the run.
They are willing to penetrate to go after the QB, but from what I see they really shut down the run and protect their LBs.
At the same time, the LBs are speedy guys that zone the passes effectively.
The MLB in this system lines up in a classic cover-2, instead of the deeper Tampa-2.
In other words, they are a combination of the classic cover-2 and the Tampa-2.

Long story short, I really like this guys stuff.
I might have to stop in and visit again for his FOOTBALL 101 stuff.
You all know how much I like ready stuff like that.
Not a paid advertisement for this guy but judging from his stuff I think it might be worth our efforts.
;D

Next week, I'll be replacing this column with a series called FOOTBALL 101.
I'll cover systems, formations, play calling and design, as well as tactics.
I'll also have a running "Ask the Coach" section that will be part of the same column.
I hope you have all enjoyed the game preps this year, and I look forward to doing it again in the '08 season.

The Dropper
12-29-2007, 03:53 PM
"Marrdro" wrote:

I found alot of good nuggets in there that alude to the fact that we run a hybrid of sorts in all facets of our offense and defense and I gotta agree with him.

For instance......

They haven't completed the conversion to ideal linemen to run the system.
But the linemen they have are either built for the system or compensated for by pulling the bigger linemen into individual block assignments.
Most off the linemen will slant and block their zones, while the "oversized" guys will pull and run interference directly for the back (as a FB would).
This shows a level of sophistication that most sophomore zoneblock teams don't exhibit, in my opinion.

Mr. A and I had a good thread going on this very subject.
He contended that our OL were to big to run the ZB scheme and I contended that size wasn't the key factor but thier speed and athleticism.
I took that one step further and used some of our 3 cone and short shuttle times to show that our guys were indeed faster than the smaller Denver blockers.

I remember that thread. It was excellent. I have to say that I've come around to the zone blocking scheme (I mean, who wouldn't after we lead the NFL in rushing) after being pretty anti last year. Of course, covering a zone in any sport is generally more difficult than just being responsible for one guy. It requires that you and your teammates are on exactly the same page.

I particularly liked this writer's comments about how far we've come along with this scheme because he is a Denver fan. After all, Denver in many ways made the ZB scheme what it is. If we can continue to insert lineman into this scheme as they come and go, we could be a hard running team for many, many years to come, which just tickles me pink. As fun as the high-flying days of the Randy ratio were, I have always been much more of a fan of (and have always advocated the Vikings being) hard-nosed football. Meaning excelling at running the football and playing tough-as-nails defense. In other words, NFC North (Central) football. And this is one of the things that I have to give the current Vikings management a ton of credit for. Now all we need is our new Frannie T.

"Marrdro" wrote:

To tell the truth I haven't really dug into our DL play that much but I can now see that I have to do some research.
Very interesting stuff to say the least.

I have read descriptions of MINN being a Tampa-2 system team, but I think they are an odd variation of the cover-2 and not a true Tampa defense.
This was my first surprise studying for this prep.

First, they have strong, powerful DTs that do a great job stopping the run.
They are willing to penetrate to go after the QB, but from what I see they really shut down the run and protect their LBs.
At the same time, the LBs are speedy guys that zone the passes effectively.
The MLB in this system lines up in a classic cover-2, instead of the deeper Tampa-2.
In other words, they are a combination of the classic cover-2 and the Tampa-2.

Quite simply, our linebackers have been a revelation in pass protection this year IMO. A complete turnaround from last year. If we could only get our ends to put a bit more pressure on QB's, we'd have a top five defense. And as Pat Williams said in an article not long back, with the way him and Kevin get double teamed, there is really no excuse for at least one of our DE's to have double-digit sacks. If we could just get one or maybe two solid pass rushers, offenses would have no answers for us. Anyways that's my 2 ¢.

COJOMAY
12-29-2007, 05:25 PM
Vikings' Henderson comfortable in the middle
The linebacker knows the key to stopping the Broncos is stopping their running attack.
http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/12901971.html
The Washington Redskins are going to get beat today by Dallas. There's a simple reason for this:

Twin Cities media types and the Purple Faithful have been convinced all week that the Vikings were dead for the playoffs. When convinced, we're dang near always wrong.

You must go back only to last Sunday -- when the citizens of this Frozen Wasteland were convinced that the Vikings were going to make a prime-time charge into the playoffs -- to confirm this.

So, you can count on this: There in the dark of the early evening in the Washington, D.C., suburbs, the Cowboys hold off the Redskins.

That means the Vikings could claim the sixth position in the NFC playoff field with a victory over one of the worst teams fielded by coach Mike Shanahan in his 13 seasons in Denver. These Broncos are 6-9, which has to be a cruel blow to Shanahan's enormous ego. One Shanahan trait that does exist even with these Broncos: They can run the ball.

"It's just the scheme," the Vikings' E.J. Henderson said. "No matter who's running or blocking, Denver runs the ball. I'm sure they start preaching that 'we're going to run' in minicamp and never let up..."