PDA

View Full Version : Who showed the most promise for the Vikings besides AP?

purplepowered
12-24-2007, 04:15 PM
What is your opinion of who showed the most promise considering
everything, Greenway in his first season playing,2nd round pick Rice playing limited but the Tds he caught and the 60 yrd pass., Allisons 104 yard TD return, Robisons rookie season like veteran presence...a mean dog from a fourth rounder, 3rd round pick McCauley did nice at CB I feel pretty good about. We all know about Petersons First trip into Canton already with 296yards. So we have talent level. just need to use it properly.

olson_10
12-24-2007, 04:27 PM
i voted for greenway because he stepped in and showed why we drafted him there..i thought he made by far the biggest impact on this team of anybody on that list..sidney rice showed that he will be a nice player, and that he will make some plays for us next season, but overall, it was greenway who showed everyone that hes keeping that spot at LB for years to come

mr.woo
12-24-2007, 04:39 PM
robinson. followed by greenway.

Vikes_King
12-24-2007, 04:52 PM
Most "promise"?

Rice.

Greenway already has shown us what he can do this year, he's met his expectation for the year. So if we're talking "promise", then he doesn't really fit here.

Robison has played well, with him and Edwards (Salt & Pepper) we'll hopefully have a powerful 1-2 punch in the future, but he needs to continue to work on his run stopping before i coin him in

Rice has really stepped up throughout the course of the year.
He doesn't have many TD catches, but I think if he had been on a team with a more pass friendly offense and a solid QB all year long, he could be fighting for the Offensive Rookie of the Year spot.
Those TD catches that he has made have been spectacular, over the defenders heads.

MaxVike
12-24-2007, 04:58 PM
Easy vote...Rice, hands down.
I like the others, however, I think Rice is gonna be a really good one.
As Mike Mayock pointed out, "Rice has the best ball skills of the rookie receivers."
You could make an argument that Dwayne Bowe from KC is up there, but, Rice ran all of the routes, made some amazing catches, and has a great attitude/work ethic.

Greenway, Robison, McCauley, all great guys to have on your team too.

olson_10
12-24-2007, 05:02 PM
rice just doesnt have the speed or strength to be a superstar receiver..he will be a big time playmaker for us, especially when we eventually bring in a star receiver and qb, but i wouldnt expect to see him playing at an all pro level at any point, but like i said, a real nice player that will certainly have a huge impact after we bring in a bonafide star receiver for him to play next to and a good quarterback to throw the ball to him..im still going with greenway

jargomcfargo
12-24-2007, 05:12 PM
Rice will grow and get stronger. He's 21. He will be a great receiver if he gets on a team that has a passing game.
I also like Gordon.
Greenway plays well but doesn't tackle well at times.

COJOMAY
12-24-2007, 05:26 PM
I voted for Rice but in my mind it was "none of the above." The guy who showed the most "promise" to me is Otis Grigsby.
He's a guy that come in with absolutely no expectations. We laughed at the Vikes bringing him in because he has been doomed to practice squads. Yet he has done a great job filling in where he is needed. He will stay on the Vikings team.

ultravikingfan
12-24-2007, 05:39 PM
How come people never give the option of "other"

Can you please Edit and Add "other"?
Then I will give you mine.

olson_10
12-24-2007, 05:43 PM
"jargomcfargo" wrote:

Rice will grow and get stronger. He's 21. He will be a great receiver if he gets on a team that has a passing game.
I also like Gordon.
Greenway plays well but doesn't tackle well at times.

greenway will get stronger, and learn the game more as well

Garland Greene
12-24-2007, 05:44 PM
Rice is the easy answer,

Robison I think will be solid, and given more of a chanceto develop
could be one of those big names in a couple of years especially if he gets a DE on teh other side that could compliment him..

McCauley I think will be nothing more than a solid nickel CB which is a good thing.

Greenway will be another of our career solid LB, Nothing great but does alot of good things.

But the player I picked was Allison and here is why...

I lthink that allison is one of those guys that reminds me of career #3 WR, he is like teh Jake reed of 3 deep.
He is one of those players that can do many things, will probablynever be a pro-bowler but would
be one of those players that makes your WR and ST corps better by what he can do. It will take him maybe another year to get in his rythm but if we add a soldi WR or 2 on thos team will be a very steady ST player and good as I like to say "forgotten" other WR that would make a needed play against the teams Nickle or Dime CB

Purple Floyd
12-24-2007, 06:12 PM
I would have voted for Ragnar, but he apparently didn't make the list.

Frostbite
12-24-2007, 06:55 PM
I saw Troy Williamson really trying hard....T.Jack couldn't get the ball to him enough....but he was also blocking well and seemed to have his head in he game. Just my humble opinion.

purplepowered
12-24-2007, 07:02 PM
"COJOMAY" wrote:

I voted for Rice but in my mind it was "none of the above." The guy who showed the most "promise" to me is Otis Grigsby.
He's a guy that come in with absolutely no expectations. We laughed at the Vikes bringing him in because he has been doomed to practice squads. Yet he has done a great job filling in where he is needed. He will stay on the Vikings team.

Sorry didnt think of Otis man forgot about adding him he did impact right away. Its there. I could have added a open spot too. It was my first official poll. I am learning. It is a learning curve.

Mikecarter81
12-24-2007, 07:03 PM
"Garland" wrote:

Rice is the easy answer,

could be one of those big names in a couple of years especially if he gets a DE on teh other side that could compliment him..

McCauley I think will be nothing more than a solid nickel CB which is a good thing.

Greenway will be another of our career solid LB, Nothing great but does alot of good things.

I lthink that allison is one of those guys that reminds me of career #3 WR, he is like teh Jake reed of 3 deep.
He is one of those players that can do many things, will probablynever be a pro-bowler but would
be one of those players that makes your WR and ST corps better by what he can do. It will take him maybe another year to get in his rythm but if we add a soldi WR or 2 on thos team will be a very steady ST player and good as I like to say "forgotten" other WR that would make a needed play against the teams Nickle or Dime CB

Does the fact he has fumbled every game since Detroit frighten you at all?

Mike

purplepowered
12-24-2007, 07:04 PM
"ultravikingfan" wrote:

how do you do that? I havent a clue how you can add a open or other I tried and didnt succeed.

Micah
12-24-2007, 07:08 PM
Definitely sidney rice. he will continue to progress and grow into a number 1 wr role.

purplepowered
12-24-2007, 07:16 PM
You know I love Rice he is very raw but i also Love hearing all the different thoughts from other fans views on other players etc. It gives alot different view for me as well and makes it more interesting and
I be come even more into the mind of eachplayer
and you cant always remember everything and certain people do remember things that stand out about games that were interesting or are their fav player. So there is total appreciation with this site. I really see alot more than the normal day to day. But there are So many. Like I said Rice, given the chance would have made a strong run at rookie of the year if he was played more and had better QB early. He definately has talent. I love his acrobatic catches he makes, I really loved his 60 yard pass the beggining of the raiders game i beieve it was. perfect spiral. Thats how I gave him the Mr Slash nic. So Yes this was more of getting a point of view from others from our newer players and who is up and coming.

ultravikingfan
12-24-2007, 07:23 PM
"purplepowered" wrote:

"ultravikingfan" wrote:

how do you do that? I havent a clue how you can add a open or other I tried and didnt succeed.

Go to the first post and hit "Edit".

I could do it, but there it is not a good thing for me to edit people's posts.

olson_10
12-24-2007, 07:29 PM
"purplepowered" wrote:

You know I love Rice he is very raw but i also Love hearing all the different thoughts from other fans views on other players etc. It gives alot different view for me as well and makes it more interesting and
I be come even more into the mind of eachplayer
and you cant always remember everything and certain people do remember things that stand out about games that were interesting or are their fav player. So there is total appreciation with this site. I really see alot more than the normal day to day. But there are So many. Like I said Rice, given the chance would have made a strong run at rookie of the year if he was played more and had better QB early. He definately has talent. I love his acrobatic catches he makes, I really loved his 60 yard pass the beggining of the raiders game i beieve it was. perfect spiral. Thats how I gave him the Mr Slash nic. So Yes this was more of getting a point of view from others from our newer players and who is up and coming.

i like rice, but like ive said before, he will make big catches, and be an impact guy, but unfortuntely, he doesnt have the speed to be a huge threat on his own..if he could get a bonafide elite #1 to play across from, then we could really look at him to produce massive numbers..a legit #1 receiver could turn him into a reggie wayne type guy with harrison in the lineup (yes, i know that is very bold cuz wayne is a great player)..not putting a big time receiver on the other side of the field is a waste of rice's talent, which is something the vikings seem to be doing alot of right now..until this organization can show that it wants to go and get a great #1 for rice to complement, im still gonna go with greenway, who i think will continue to learn more and more about the game and improve in every aspect

Schutz
12-24-2007, 07:34 PM
Chris Kluwe.
When our offense fails drive after drive he has always been there to bail us out with gigantic punts.
God bless you Chris Kluwe.

BadlandsVikings
12-24-2007, 07:49 PM
I voted for Ragnar, his dancing has improved.

Garland Greene
12-24-2007, 10:13 PM
"Mikecarter81" wrote:

"Garland" wrote:

Rice is the easy answer,

Does the fact he has fumbled every game since Detroit frighten you at all?

Mike

Not really how many times has AD fumbled this year? how many times TJ fumbled this year...Ok bad example but you get the idea ;D

Part of it is the fact that he has not had a chance to play alot this yer because of being nactive wants he gets more reps I seriously belive that he has a chance to have a decent career in the NFK again nothing greta but a productive career.

marstc09
12-24-2007, 10:52 PM
I would say from this list Sidney Rice.

Why is Greenway even on this list. This guy is average at best. Way too many missed tackles and blown coverages.

Not understanding why TJ is not on this list. He showed the most promise. When a QB from Alabama State can come in and almost make the playoffs, that is pretty darn good IMO. He looked like at vet at times. I still have tons of hope for this kid.

Marrdro
12-25-2007, 10:22 AM
I would have to go with Gordon.
All the others we knew pretty much what they should could produce.
He my friends, was a pretty unknow commodity and most on here, including myselft questioned keeping him on the roster.

As to the T-will debate.....

T-will, no matter how much he improved(s) will never be a fan favorite around here.
I still say it is because he will be forever linked with Randy.
His Rookie season was pretty productive, he had a bad year last year and is on a team that now struggles to demonstrate any semblance of a packing attack.
I don't blame him for that.

purplepowered
12-25-2007, 10:55 AM
UPdated the poll again Didnt think I had to put TJack on there since I feel he took us 5-1 thru the last 6 but hey he is on there now I am all good with everything. Again I am new to this who;e program marstc

Marrdro
12-25-2007, 11:03 AM
"purplepowered" wrote:

UPdated the poll again Didnt think I had to put TJack on there since I feel he took us 5-1 thru the last 6 but hey he is on there now I am all good with everything. Again I am new to this who;e program marstc

I'll use other for Gorgon then.

V4L
12-25-2007, 11:14 AM
Here is my list..

1. Troy Williamson- Alot would not agree but hear me out. Not solid numbers really.. But honestly he showed he wants to get better and improved.. And has shown much improvment over last year.. Hopefully he can get even better

2. Sidney Rice- Would be number 1 but I figured he would be good anyway.. Kid is a baller

3. T-jack- It's tough to lead an NFL team.. So far is basically his rookie season I would say he has done a decent job.. Inconsistant now.. But if he puts it together he will be really solid

4. Charles Gordon- WHO?! Where did this kid come from? Just glad he is on the roster and making plays

5. Brian Robison- A lil inconsistant.. He'll get ya 2 sacks and then nothing for 5 weeks.. But I think he has some potential and I give him slack for being inconsistant due to him being a rookie.. Looking forward to the next few years tho!

CCthebest
12-25-2007, 01:38 PM
LOL who in the heck voted for mccauley? At the start of the season he had no idea where the ball was, and he STILL doesnt. Why do you think opposing teams pick on him.

marstc09
12-25-2007, 02:21 PM
"purplepowered" wrote:

No worries. I can't change my vote from Rice to Jackson.

ultravikingfan
12-25-2007, 02:28 PM
Other

Brad Childress IMO

Schutz
12-25-2007, 03:29 PM
I demand Chris Kluwe gets his spot on the poll.

davike
12-25-2007, 03:50 PM
"Garland" wrote:

Rice is the easy answer,

Troy Brown? Wes Welker?

davike
12-25-2007, 04:00 PM
I put Rice just because he has shown promise to becoming our #1 WR. He has stepped up and made a good contribution.

The rest on this list (and a few unlisted) all deserve a vote, most of had flashes. But I think Rice has shown the most to tell us he should be a big contributer for a long time.

purplepowered
12-25-2007, 07:19 PM
See I guess we can keep adding players to the list of young talent on our roster that looked to be in each of our own opinion a good fit and Yes Charles Gordon too

marstc09
12-25-2007, 07:22 PM
"purplepowered" wrote:

See I guess we can keep adding players to the list of young talent on our roster that looked to be in each of our own opinion a good fit and Yes Charles Gordon too

That shows that we have some great young talent. All we need now is some game changing vets to get us to the promise land.