PDA

View Full Version : Why does Vince Young not get the scrutiny that Tavaris Jackson receives?

umaguma1979
12-23-2007, 12:11 PM
Statistically - both QB are nearly identical this year.
You would think more would be expected from Vince Young, but it seems the media expects more from Jackson.

Having watched Jackson over the past several games - I must say that Id rather have Jackson on my team than Vince Young.
Jackson's pocket presence is very underrated and he is lokking more and more comfortable every week.

Anyone feel Jackson is more under the microscope than Vince Young?

Zeus
12-23-2007, 12:12 PM
"umaguma1979" wrote:

Statistically - both QB are nearly identical this year.
You would think more would be expected from Vince Young, but it seems the media expects more from Jackson.

Having watched Jackson over the past several games - I must say that Id rather have Jackson on my team than Vince Young.
Jackson's pocket presence is very underrated and he is lokking more and more comfortable every week.

Anyone feel Jackson is more under the microscope than Vince Young?

Only within the universe of Vikings fans.

=Z=

marstc09
12-23-2007, 12:21 PM
You would think Vince Young would get more scrutiny due to the fact he was a much higher draft pick.

kevoncox
The problem with Tjack is that when he makes a mistake it looks aweful.
He jump shots his passes among other things. When Vince makes a mistake it doesn't look as bad...

However, I agree that Tjack is the media's whipping boy. Vince also has proven himself to be a winner.

umaguma1979
I just dont understand why Vince Young has been labeled a superstar and TJ a bust.
If anything TJ has been a greater surprise and seems to have greater upside if you watch both players carefully.

litlharsh
12-23-2007, 12:25 PM
Uhhh...He does.

huxx
12-23-2007, 12:27 PM
Young is being scrutinized more this year as everyone realizes that he's not living up to his God-like expectations.
TJack is facing a lot of scrutiny, but rightly so- we're on the verge of a playoff appearance and he needs to be on when we're mowing our way to the Bowl.
At the start of the season, lots of people said that our season would depend on his play, and he's done what he's needed to do lately.
Young's inconsistency will probably lead to them missing the playoffs when it looked like they would be a contender.

marstc09
12-23-2007, 12:27 PM
"litlharsh" wrote:

Uhhh...He does.

From what I have seen on ESPN and other sources, Yes.

Overlord
12-23-2007, 12:37 PM
I'm pretty sure Zeus basically nailed it.
Only Vikings fans will think that Tarvaris is under more scrutiny than Vince Young.

Young has been bashed constantly by at least Merril Hoge since he's come into the league.
This year he has been pretty bad, and the other national pundits have been all over him.

To any extent this is true though, I think the reason would be two-fold: 1) Vince Young has played better (mostly) than Tarvaris; and 2) a lot of the pundits said he was good, and are now somewhat invested in proving themselves right.

Marrdro
12-23-2007, 12:40 PM
It all comes down to thier reputations.
When they are wrong they will do anything to save thiers.
In most cases that means they will spin reality to fit the situation and try to claim they have been saying that all along.

Case in point.
We are now seeing the local press try to cover thier tracks after they beat the ole Chiller down for being a authoritarian type of coach and tried to run him out of town for being to hard headed and unwilling to change.
Now that we are winning they are trying to spin it that we are winning because the Chiller finally listed to them and he has changed/softened his approach with respect to dealing with players and changed his scheme to match the "Players Talent" when in fact he really hasn't.

As with the spin the local hacks have done with the Chiller, the National media types are trying to save thier reputations after all the spin they put on VY has proved to be faulty.

Long story short, whatever the press/talking heads spew forth most believe.
If they turn out to be wrong they either try to blame someone else for causing thier heralded subject to fail.
Believe it or not, the masses will believe them.

Very sad my friends.
Very sad.

Vikes
12-23-2007, 01:03 PM
First Young had a pretty good rookie year. (Though I think Hester's was better).

I think Young did what AD did for us. Tjack decent has not had the impact of Young, or AD.

But TJack was not drafted to have a huge Impact. TWill probaly would be a better example.

Mr Anderson
12-23-2007, 02:13 PM
"kevoncox" wrote:

The problem with Tjack is that when he makes a mistake it looks aweful.
He jump shots his passes among other things. When Vince makes a mistake it doesn't look as bad...

However, I agree that Tjack is the media's whipping boy. Vince also has proven himself to be a winner.

And Jackson has not?

He's 8-2 as a starter this season.

kevoncox
12-23-2007, 04:28 PM
TJack isn't the reason that we are winning games.
Last year Vince won the Tits a few games.

Marrdro
12-23-2007, 04:32 PM
"kevoncox" wrote:

TJack isn't the reason that we are winning games.
Last year Vince won the Tits a few games.

What does he contribute to the whole scheme then?

He calls the play in the huddle.
He makes pre-snap reads
He sometimes audibles based on that pre-snap read.
He adjusts the RB blocking scheme based on that presnap read.
He throws the ball to open recievers (most of the time).

Comeon my friend. It is a team sport and everyone does thier job.
Just cause he isn't completing passes to keep "Randy Ratio" types of fans happy doesn't mean he isn't doing his part.

kevoncox
12-23-2007, 04:38 PM
Please don't take my statement as a knock. He is doing his job. Sometimes he does it great, sometimes not so great. However, the difference is perception. Tjack is not percived to be the reason we are winning games. Vince was attributed as the reason why the Titians won some games last year. I believe that he ran for a couple game winning TDs. No one thinks to add Travis Henry's amazing season to that equation.

With TJack and the mistakes he has made he has been placed in a negative light to start with. He is improving but he has a large "bad press" hole to climb out of..

Basically Vince, Cutler, Leinhart started off looking good and have regressed. While TJack sarted off poor and is improving.

ItalianStallion
12-23-2007, 04:55 PM
Probably because Young has done more to elevate his team than Tarvaris.
The Titans were terrible before Young, now they are not.
No although I'm not dumb enough to believe this is due entirely to Young, you can't ignore it.

That being said I think the criticism of Tarvaris has lessened since our winning streak has started.
Nevertheless neither QB has being that remarkable.

I'm sure Young does face a lot of criticism, we just don't see it as much, because we A) follow the Vikes a lot closer and B)Are more critical of Tarvaris ourselves...

wierstom
12-23-2007, 05:12 PM
this is a team sport and as long as t-jack plays within the team he will be fine

audioghost
12-23-2007, 05:44 PM
Its all about Vince's college career...the media annointed him 'king vince' after the big bowl game performance on national tv and the media is always reluctant to admit they're wrong. He was more highly touted...a higher selection...SO, the media gives Young the benefit of the doubt because they feel there's a reason he was picked highly and he's "proven to them" that he's good in college.

I know it sounds stupid but the media is biased...if a guy doesnt talk to the media he's portrayed as a "bad guy"...and in the same way if a guy was popular in college he's portrayed as if he's already proved something...

Jackson is a relative unknown to the media...and none of them watch Vikings games...they write columns based on ESPN highlights...and since Jackson doesnt throw too many TDs his highlights usually consist of INTs...and this gave the media a bad impression of Jackson coming into the Monday Night game and his whole season, to the media, has basically been based on that game because its the only one they've seen in its entirety...

Hopefully he has a game tonight...cuz if he plays well the opinions will change....if he doesnt people will still think he just sucks big time...

gregair13
12-23-2007, 06:31 PM
Well said.
Vince has won on all levels and is more well know than T Jack

purplepowered
12-23-2007, 07:32 PM
"marstc09" wrote:

You would think Vince Young would get more scrutiny due to the fact he was a much higher draft pick.

You sure would think that huh! I agree with you
but I think its because we reached
for this pick when we could have gotten J Cutler when we could have went up instead. I was upset at the time, but eating my words now. I love TJack he has a brighter future. He just needs time. But he does seem to get more scruteny then Vince maybe because I am lookin for all info on Vikes probably. But it is what it is. The media in Mn waits for anything they can get on anyone anytime to grab and screw up anyones life. just like Randy Moss> I feel the fake moon was great because of the fans really mooning the team buss' as they leave and other team fans is bull. It shows he has team spirit. But again TJack will be fine I just hink we see it because we are MN fans and are seeking everything we can on Vikings info.

JellyBean2144
12-23-2007, 09:34 PM
Nope. They both receive their fair share of media heat.

Vikes
12-23-2007, 11:39 PM
Tonite's game play by TJack should finally answer your question. TJacks makes too many mistakes at this point. Vince is winning and TJack is thanking god he had AP helping him. AP/Taylor make TJack. Young makes Young.

Caine
12-23-2007, 11:46 PM
The difference between them is simple:

Vince Young carries his team.
Tarvaris Jackson is along for the ride.

That is evidenced by the fact that every time the running game struggles, Jackson falls apart.
He has failed in consecutive weeks to pick up the gauntlet, and the result is a 1-1 split...and a probable end to all playoff speculation.

Once Jackson steps up and starts to make plays downfield consistantly, people will start to believe in him (well, Childress does already, but that vote of confidence is suspect).
Until then, he's just the guy handing off to Peterson.

Caine

PAvikesfan
12-23-2007, 11:57 PM
my guess woul be ifferent talent and poise levels...
young is just that much better.