PDA

View Full Version : Vikings: Fixtures up front click again

singersp
12-22-2007, 08:05 AM
Patrick Reusse: Fixtures up front click again (http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/12757267.html)

It took years of growing pains and some wise spending for Matt Birk and the Vikings offensive line to be retooled to past precision.

By Patrick Reusse, Star Tribune

Last update: December 21, 2007 - 10:27 PM

This week was not the first time that Matt Birk was in the home locker room at Winter Park with six other Pro Bowl players. It also occurred in 2000, when he was elected to the NFC roster with Korey Stringer, Robert Smith, Daunte Culpepper, Cris Carter, Randy Moss and Robert Griffith.....

singersp
12-22-2007, 08:07 AM
Five decades, five lines (http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/12757262.html)

Last update: December 21, 2007 - 10:10 PM

The Vikings had three offensive linemen -- left tackle Grady Alderman, left guard Milt Sunde and center Mick Tingelhoff -- make the Pro Bowl. Jim Vellone was at right guard and Doug Davis at right tackle.....

Marrdro
12-22-2007, 08:13 AM
"singersp" wrote:

Patrick Reusse: Fixtures up front click again (http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/12757267.html)

It took years of growing pains and some wise spending for Matt Birk and the Vikings offensive line to be retooled to past precision.

Last update: December 21, 2007 - 10:27 PM

This week was not the first time that Matt Birk was in the home locker room at Winter Park with six other Pro Bowl players. It also occurred in 2000, when he was elected to the NFC roster with Korey Stringer, Robert Smith, Daunte Culpepper, Cris Carter, Randy Moss and Robert Griffith.....

Nice read my friend.
Just one little nugget to get on a soap box over.....

The rebuilding of the offensive line started with the 2002 draft of left tackle Bryant McKinnie. Owner Red McCombs wouldn't pay McKinnie, and coach Mike Tice had the huge, raw rookie for only the final two months of the season.

I thought the Head Coaches negotiated and paid all the contracts around here and not the front office pukes.

(Sorry, couldn't let that one slide.
Thats two times I've cracked myself up today
;D).

singersp
12-22-2007, 08:19 AM
The line might be "clicking", but IMO they are not clicking loud enough or on a consistant basis.

Marrdro
12-22-2007, 09:10 AM
"singersp" wrote:

The line might be "clicking", but IMO they are not clicking loud enough or on a consistant basis.

Don't get me going on Birk and the OL play again.
I gave him some love in two threads.
He'd better come through this weekend.
;D

singersp
12-22-2007, 09:20 AM
"Marrdro" wrote:

"singersp" wrote:

;D

I believe you also smacked him around in a couple of threads also so that makes it even.

He must be sitting mid-way between the two columns on your list.

Marrdro
12-22-2007, 09:46 AM
"singersp" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

"singersp" wrote:

;D

I believe you also smacked him around in a couple of threads also so that makes it even.

He must be sitting mid-way between the two columns on your list.

You know me, I have way to much invested in this team/org to be upset with anyone for very long.
As for Birk he is still one of my favorites but would let him go in an instant (as I would with any one guy) if it meant making the Team/Org better.

hx38596
12-22-2007, 09:51 AM
"Marrdro" wrote:

"singersp" wrote:

;D

Yeah, i bet he will get tested.
After the Bears film, if i was the redskins, i would be stunting Griffin and Montgomery across the face of Birk for penetration every run play.
He didn't hold at all, just went backward.