PDA

View Full Version : Ex-Vikings burning us.....

JDogg926
12-07-2004, 09:54 AM
I've heard some talk about getting rid of Bennett and Hovan, and I'd have to say we should probably get rid of both of them. They both were underachievers and we're not really getting a benefit from having them on the roster. Bennett's career has also been what one could call injury prone.

I just think back to when we had Brad Johnson. He was great when healthy, but he was injury prone, so we let him go. A few years later he leads his team to the superbowl win. Two of his blockers Randall McDaniel and Jeff Christy were long time Vikings before jumping ship.

Jimmy Hitchcock, big play guy from 98, that would either intercept the ball or get burned. More often than not, he got burned. I believe he was in the superbowl with Carolina last year.

Duane Clemons, I don't think he made a single good play in like three years with the Vikings, now he's with Bengals who signed him to a pretty large contract, which made me scratch my head, is one of their best defensive players. Same with Kailee Wong for the Texans (okay he made the one pic of Favre in the dome in 2001 and returned it for a score, but that was about it).

The list goes on and on.

I predict, based on the success of some of these players, that wherever Bennett goes next year he rushes for 1400 yards 10 td, and leads his team to an 11-5 record, and that wherever Hovan goes he returns to all pro form and is better than he ever was for the Vikings.

Any thoughts????

snowinapril
12-07-2004, 10:00 AM
You have to cut your losses somewhere.

Sometimes you make mistakes.

Players get better with more experience.

You only let a player go if you think(know) that you have someone better to replace them but with the salary cap, players go where they can make the most money. B4 the Cap, you could keep guys around and develop them better. Now the only way you can develop someone is to have the no name guy be content on your practice squad until he is ready to play.

dan3ski
12-07-2004, 10:41 AM
Coaching makes a difference and the Vikings need a good one.

sitandbehitski
12-07-2004, 11:05 AM
Jimmy Hitchock was not with Carolina, It was Jeff Christy alone, Randal McDaniel Retired with the Vikes and didn't join another team. But otherwise you're right, and I think the Texans got Wong with some sort of Expansion team supplement, getting a Restricted Free Agent from each team or something like that.

snowinapril
12-07-2004, 11:32 AM
"sitandbehitski" wrote:

Jimmy Hitchock was not with Carolina, It was Jeff Christy alone, Randal McDaniel Retired with the Vikes and didn't join another team. But otherwise you're right, and I think the Texans got Wong with some sort of Expansion team supplement, getting a Restricted Free Agent from each team or something like that.

McDaniel did play with the Bucs then retired.

I can't remember if he was on the SB team or not but he did play with them.

Yep Wong was stolen from us. I always liked the guy. My brother and I argued a lot about his value to the team but I thought he did well for us. He is smart for one thing.

I do get to hear him on the mornign radio station here in Houston. He is on an FM station for about 15 minutes a couple of times a week, even in the offseason. He is a popular player here in Houston.

snowinapril
12-07-2004, 11:35 AM
Didn't Hitchcock go to the Jags??? It may have been the Panthers???

I don't think he is in the league now, I can't find him on any roster.

Eyesore
12-07-2004, 01:46 PM
You talkin' just guys you chose not to resign or guys you cut as well?

Ben Steele (MNF)

Gilbert Brown

(who by the way gained 17 pounds on thanksgiving years back)

snowinapril
12-07-2004, 01:50 PM
Eyesore,

The pack likes to steele our scraggly scrubbs we cut.

We missed on the G.Brown.

ItalianStallion
12-07-2004, 02:11 PM
Better that these players do well elsewhere than absolutely nothing here.

Del Rio
12-07-2004, 02:58 PM
Mcdaniel did play 2 full years with the Tampa Bay Bucs he played in 2000 an 2001 he caught 1 pass for 2 yards and a TD in 2000 :D

Christy won a superbowl with the bucs

Hitchcock started his career in NE and stopped by in Min for 2 years during the 98-99 seasons. Then he was off to Carolina and played with them during the 2000-2001 seasons he ended his carrer with who he started it with in NE.

Kind of sad Mcdaniel didn't stay one more year in TB he could have gotten a ring.

Kleinsasser40
12-07-2004, 03:21 PM
I'm all for getting rid of Bennett and Hovan. I think Spencer Johnson can be a sufficient starter. He has really done much better than Hovan the past few games. In a year or two he could be a pretty good player. What we need to do is trade them for some linebackers, straight up experienced guys, no picks. We need guys and we need them for next year. Once our team is all healthy if we have some good LBs on our D we will be pretty solid. We have good CBs, we have a good and young D-line, we just need to get some LBs who can seek out the holes and fill them, so far NO ONE has been able to do that for us.

Man, this was, still could be, but was our year. Then we jsut got shat on by injuries. Kleiny...out, half our O-line...out, Moss...gone 5+ games, Bennett...gone most of season, Robinson...gone beginning of season, Ken Irvin (who would have MADE our defense) ...OUT, ALL our linebackers...in and out all season long

Finally, to top it all off...first we lose our best offensive weapon for 5+ weeks (Moss)...NOW we lose our best defensive player for about the same amount of time. Perhaps it is all for the best though, and heck, we might even make it far this year, anything can happen!

Kleinsasser40
12-07-2004, 03:24 PM
and that is my daily rant about our SH*TLOAD of injuries...