PDA

View Full Version : Vikings' run dominance might not be enough

COJOMAY
12-16-2007, 07:24 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3156247&lpos=spotlight&lid=tab2pos1

Conventional wisdom says that to win in the playoffs, you have to be able to run the ball and stop the run.

If that conventional wisdom is true, the most dangerous team in the NFC might be the Minnesota Vikings. No team since the AFL-NFL merger in 1970 has been quite as unbalanced, with both the offense and defense dramatically better on running plays than on passing plays.

The Vikings lead the league in rushing average, getting 5.7 yards per carry. That's 0.8 better than the team in second place through Week 14, Denver (4.9 yards per carry). Only once since 1970 has there been a larger difference between the top two teams in rushing average: 1991, when the Barry Sanders-led Lions averaged 5.5 yards per carry and the Broncos were second with 4.6 yards per carry.

The only reason the Vikings are not as dominant on run defense is that there is one other team that is their equal. Baltimore is allowing only 2.9 yards per carry to lead the league, and Minnesota is second with 3.1 yards per carry. Every other defense allows 3.7 yards per carry or more.

In the passing game, however, the Vikings are merely average. They barely gain more yardage on passes than on runs. Their average of 5.8 net yards per pass is 20th in the league. On defense, they allow 6.1 net yards per pass, which ranks 15th.

If the run is the key to winning in the playoffs, teams that are similar to Minnesota should have a strong record in the postseason. But when we look at NFL history, we find just the opposite: Most similar teams have losing records, and the teams with winning records generally flop in the postseason...

Ltrey33
12-16-2007, 07:33 PM
I think that passing stat is probably a bit stilted. I would like to see the average of those numbers over the past 6 games or so.

The Holcomb/Bollinger experience and Tarvaris's early struggles probably weigh that statistic down quite a bit.

V4L
12-16-2007, 07:36 PM
"Ltrey" wrote:

I think that passing stat is probably a bit stilted. I would like to see the average of those numbers over the past 6 games or so.

The Holcomb/Bollinger experience and Tarvaris's early struggles probably weigh that statistic down quite a bit.

Exactly

We have played some bad teams.. But it does seem we are a different team

singersp
12-17-2007, 05:50 AM
We just need to keep doing what we've been doing the past 4 games & not worry about stats.

cogitans
12-17-2007, 05:57 AM
http://www.purplepride.org/forums/index.php?topic=40698.0