PDA

View Full Version : Venting… encounters with narrow minded “Vikings fans.”

Ddawg84
12-15-2007, 05:46 PM
I randomly find myself every year engaging into annoying conversations about our Vikings at family events, school, drunken parties, work, etc, where I feel like am defending our team against Viking’s fans with tunnel vision or people that are not even Vikings fans but simply have their mind made up about something with this team and insist and sticking to their guns and causing me to pull my hair out. Haha.
I am interested to see about some of everyone else’s encounters against people outside of pp.o where you’re not debating with your fingers but actually face to face.

Here is in a nut shell my most recent encounter… with a numbskull!
I was in champs the other day with my girlfriend looking at getting a Sidney Rice jersey for the Monday Night game, when the dude working comes up out of nowhere and is like “man I like that Sidney Rice I think he is gunna be a good one, but that Brad Childress sure does not know how to use him, I mean look he only had 2 catches against the niners, man I hate Childress, he is a terrible coach and has nothing to do with their winning streak.” “And I really like Jackson but Childress is ruining him by starting him, I wish we kept Brad Johnson one more year.”
The best part was as soon as he said that my girlfriend walked to a different part of the store, like she could see steam coming out of my ears or something.
Haha.
I just turned and looked at him and said “so everyone blames Childress when we are losing and when we are winning he has nothing to do with it?”
I am not about to say Childress is awesome and he has not had his share of mistakes, but he has a lot more to do with our winning than people give him credit for.
And he has not done anything as dumb as Joe Gibbs calling 2 timeouts in a row to ice a kicker and get a personal foul to move them into a chip shot field goal to lose a game.
I also went on to explain to him that we had no reason to keep passing the ball in the second half against San Fran, we did not use any of our WR when we went up 27-0 because Shaun Hill was not going to beat our defense for over 27 points in a half, so we just managed the game.
“And how has Childress not used him lately, Sidney has scored in two of the last three games, along with throwing a bomb for a pass in a game.”
Then with T-Jack “Look how things ended up with BJ at QB last year, we do owe a thank you to BJ and that is that he did bad enough for us to get AP in the draft.”
“But with a big draft of QB’s coming up, we have to find out if we have something in T-Jack, and what could you possibly be complaining about, he was shaky at the beginning of the year, but not a lot of 2nd year Qb’s have played as well as consistently as he has the last 4 weeks.”
Needless to say we did not buy the jersey there and that guy was a little shocked that his customer can see the big picture and actually tried to paint it for him.
All I am saying is that most true fans can be critical of their team, while giving credit where it is due, and looking out side the box when needed.
Ok I feel a lot better now… thanks! Haha

See all of the Tailgaters at the game… and I will have my Sidney Rice Jersey on!
;D

Overlord
12-15-2007, 06:01 PM
I run a shop selling sports merchandise and this guy walks in and wants to buy a Sidney Rice jersey.
So I go up tom him and am like, "man, I like that Sidney Rice.
I think he is going to be a good one."
I then go on to explain how I think Childress is an idiot for, among other things, not using this kid enough.
I mean, come on, what is Bobby Wade even doing on the field when Rice could be in there?
But the guy gets all upset and starts screaming at me about how we weren't in passing situations last game or something.
To top it off, he doesn't even realize how terrible Tarvaris is.
If we still had Brad, Rice would have like 60 catches and 10 TDs this season.
But I guess that was okay with this guy because he was in love with Childress and Tarvaris makes him happy.

Anyway, he didn't even buy the jersey, which pissed me off.
What a jerk.

That's alright though.
I worked off my steam with an all night solo session.

Just kidding ... about the first part.

Mr-holland
12-15-2007, 06:03 PM
That is one hell of a post pal!

enjoyed the read and the laugh, way to sell a Jersey NOT

Braddock
12-15-2007, 06:19 PM
I completely agree. Vikings fans are some of the most short sighted, dumbest ones ever. There are plenty who can understand rebuilding, but there is a large percentage that think they know everything about everything and will make assinine comments. I've vented on this before on the site, but sooner or later you just forget about it. I was watching NFLN and they showed a TJ press conference basically him saying "If you weren't with us at the beginning, we don't need you." LOVED IT! LOVED IT! That's why I've been on his bandwagon since we drafted him. I agree with you, with TJ, and i say Viking's fans just need to learn something before spouting their mouths.

litlharsh
12-15-2007, 06:26 PM
"Overlord" wrote:

I run a shop selling sports merchandise and this guy walks in and wants to buy a Sidney Rice jersey.
I then go on to explain how I think Childress is an idiot for, among other things, not using this kid enough.
I mean, come on, what is Bobby Wade even doing on the field when Rice could be in there?
But the guy gets all upset and starts screaming at me about how we weren't in passing situations last game or something.
But I guess that was okay with this guy because he was in love with Childress and Tarvaris makes him happy.

What a jerk.

That's alright though.

bahhaa maybe the best post I've ever seen on this forum.

Mr Anderson
12-15-2007, 06:30 PM
"Overlord" wrote:

What a jerk.

That's alright though.

LMAO!

purplepowered
12-15-2007, 06:50 PM
You know I have been one f the most faithful fans in history of the Vikings. Yes I do compain but even after we lost to gb 34-0 I was in the car going to get my Sunday paper that day driving it with proud look on my face! People stare and say man how can you be seen driving that thing when you are 2-5! I love my team. Win or Lose I DONT TURN MY BACK ON THEM! I BLEED PURPLE! I ATTEND every training camp, get to one game every year(due disability, cant work) but yes I am proud to wear my gear and love my team to death. I dont care what everyone else says does or whatever. I see the bandwagoneers all the time, personally the can go take a leap but hey its them. We will always have them. I vent yes when we suck but I still buy their jerseys, hats, clothes etc. My brother and I attend training camp every year, missing only when Korey Stringer passed on(planned on going that next day but couldnt) We both felt that the team needed their time to greive. This site has been a blessing to me. It gives me a true home to be a part of. Thank You! I was at a wedding in wisconsin big Packers fans and yes I even wore Vikings dressy outfit! Thats how true I am to my Vikes. I have a pic of me and a Pack fan at the reception and present opeining. So on venting I need this place to vent be cause when we were not on track this year before i fould this site, the words I got from people about driving my car, were like "Man you need help" and stuff. All I said was well you know at least I know I have a vehicle the color I want! and obviously it got your attention. And from the remarks I get from you fans I am happy anyway. So thanks again PP.O! for welcoming me into your group of highly sophistecated fans.......ok well loyal fans. See ya monday night football!

remember on days like these there are words i like such as

"Lions Cheeseheads and Bears OH YEAH!"

SKOL VIKES!

I need a new bear skin rug!

StillPurple
12-15-2007, 06:56 PM
Ok, I get the gist of this thread, and I tend to agree.

But I don't really agree that you get on a "bandwagon" and then you are on or off for all time. I think there is no such thing as a guaranteed position in football. If you are bad, you go out. Yes, Tarvaris has improved a LOT this year. And I was one of those who "predicted" he would not cut it in the NFL. I have admitted I was wrong, and I have no problem doing that. But please don't say I can't now say TJ is decent. I was wrong. He is now good. Let's move on...

StillPurple
12-15-2007, 06:57 PM
Ok, I get the gist of this thread, and I tend to agree.

But I don't really agree that you get on a "bandwagon" and then you are on or off for all time. I think there is no such thing as a guaranteed position in football. If you are bad, you go out, and someone else comes in to replace you for a while.

Yes, Tarvaris has improved a LOT this year. And I was one of those who "predicted" he would not cut it in the NFL. I have admitted I was wrong, and I have no problem doing that. But please don't say I can't now say TJ is decent. I was wrong. He is now good. Let's move on...

Vikes_King
12-15-2007, 07:03 PM
"Overlord" wrote:

What a jerk.

That's alright though.

lol i actually probably would have went to a different store myself.
Normally if you're trying to sell something, yes talk to the customer, especially since its about your favorite team and a good player, but normally you want to keep opinions to yourself unless they specifically ask for it.
Some people are easily offended.

And do you really think we'd be playing better with Brad Johnson as our quarterback? lol.
We kept him on the roster last year because he was simply supposed to manage a game for us.
Yet we lost many of those games because he tried to get out of character and force throws that his weak arm couldn't make.
I for one would have maybe liked him to stay here, but as a back up, nothing more.
Rice & Jackson has all the right ingrediants for a dangerous combination, just need to develope that chemistry

PurpleHornsOfDestruction
12-15-2007, 07:11 PM
I randomly find myself every year engaging into annoying conversations about our Vikings at family events, school, drunken parties, work, etc, where I feel like am defending our team against Viking’s fans with tunnel vision or people that are not even Vikings fans but simply have their mind made up about something with this team and insist and sticking to their guns and causing me to pull my hair out. Haha.
I am interested to see about some of everyone else’s encounters against people outside of pp.o where you’re not debating with your fingers but actually face to face.

I had the same problem. Everybody keeps telling me the Vikes suck. There are so many Green bay fans, Raider fans, San Diego fans, a couple New York Giant and Chicago fans I know. They all year kept saying the Vikings are crap. The New York fan said our defense couldn't do crap against the pass and the only reason our run defense is so good is because our pass defense is so horrid its impossible to throw under 300 yards. The Charger fans said LaDainian Tomlinson is God and the best running back and Adrian Peterson sucks. God what an amazing year for me.

It was fun talking to the Giant fan about Eli. I was talking to him "So hey I missed the game. Man. Our pass defense is horrid. Winfeild Adrian Peterson is out. That must have been a blowout huh. Eli must have just torn us apart. Wait what. Eli tied his career record of 4 interception last achieved against the Vikes. Our horrid pass D had 3 returns for touchdowns. huh wow." He responded "Do you want to die?"

Then it's always fun when your surrounded by Charger fans. "Dang LaDainian Tomlinson must have ran all over us. What 40 yards? Adrian Peterson nearly 300. Wow. Isn't that something. I guess Adrian Peterson is as good as LT. Considering he ran for over 7 times as much yardage as LT. Just an opinion you know supported by statistics."

After so long of all those fans ragging on the Vikes if they ever say the Vikes suck all I have to say is "Wow yeah and if the Vikes suck so bad and they embarrassed you then where does that put your team?"

purplepowered
12-15-2007, 07:16 PM
Well you know I have watched the draft seriously for years with the internet on too and I tell you me doing the drafting for the Vikings , NO WAY they are getting it done,! They are doing a remarkable job at getting out what they drafted. I go to training camp
to see the new players, started out to get autographs mostly but now to rate out draftess in person and I like to go near the end of camp to see thier progress. It is a unbelieveable experience. I love it to death. We drafted TJack and I was pissed, I felt that Cutler was the best Qb in the draft. So when I went down to training camp I went to watch TJack. This Kid in my eyes was ans is better than Culpepper in arm strength,, acuracy and ability. He just needed to get expereince. I was on Kfan rube and was defending him all the time, and people were calling me an ass and a jerk not knowing what the hell I was talking about and saying I didnt have the right to be a fan
because I was new to the Kfan website and what I was saying. It was just shit. At that point the vikes were 2-5 this year when I started monitoring this site, never getting into it, just being a guest for a bit. Now I wish I started right away. You guys/girls are awesome. I am sorry but cant thank you enuff! Band wagon fans to me are the ones who will walk away from the game when we 20 points down and not finish watchin when we have
the 1/4 or more to go. Or that will write them off for the season and plan other things for game doy until they HEAR they are winning again then they will go back to watching the game. Of if they have
clothes
that they wear usually when they are winning and not when they are losing. To me its being proud all the time. Its not a winning team to defend. Its a presence to defend. We need more loyal fans like you guys, and asap my car will have PURPLEPRIDE.ORG on it proudly displayed. as soon as my graphix guy can get it done.

vikesfargo
12-15-2007, 08:18 PM
Maybe that salesman doesn't know as much about the vikings as you and was just trying to make conversation. I don't know. I wasn't there.

If you're always wearing Vikings gear, etc, it's no wonder you regularly have conversations about the team. I think that's cool.

As for a bandwagon, I say let 'em on. The more the merrier. Doesn't hurt anything or anybody.

singersp
12-15-2007, 10:26 PM
"Overlord" wrote:

What a jerk.

That's alright though.

Huh? Did you even watch Brad play last year? Have you even watched T-Jack play these last few games this year since he came back from being injured?

Brad stunk it up last year & T-Jack is playing quite well lately. I can't believe you thought that guy was a jerk.

IMO, his concensus agrees with the majority of the members here, not yours.

Purple Floyd
12-15-2007, 10:35 PM
"singersp" wrote:

"Overlord" wrote:

What a jerk.

That's alright though.

Huh? Did you even watch Brad play last year? Have you even watched T-Jack play these last few games this year since he came back from being injured?

Brad stunk it up last year & T-Jack is playing quite well lately. I can't believe you thought that guy was a jerk.

Ya think there might have been a bit of sarcasm in there?

litlharsh
12-15-2007, 10:45 PM
"singersp" wrote:

"Overlord" wrote:

What a jerk.

That's alright though.

His Joke

You

Braddock
12-15-2007, 10:46 PM
"singersp" wrote:

"Overlord" wrote:

What a jerk.

That's alright though.

Are you being serious singer?

PurpleGator
12-15-2007, 10:48 PM
"litlharsh" wrote:

"singersp" wrote:

"Overlord" wrote:

What a jerk.

That's alright though.

His Joke

You

Am I?

I think Singer thinks I am....

litlharsh
12-15-2007, 10:55 PM
this is madness!

singersp
12-15-2007, 11:03 PM
"Braddock" wrote:

"singersp" wrote:

"Overlord" wrote:

What a jerk.

That's alright though.

Are you being serious singer?

Dead serious.

Perhaps him or you can put forth your opinion on just how terrible Jackson is & why we'd be so much better off with Brad Johnson in there.

I see the J/K about the first part, but where does the 1st part end & the second begin. You leave it wide open to interpretation.

litlharsh
12-15-2007, 11:06 PM
haha
I actually thought you were being serious. this thread is like a mindwarp.

singersp
12-15-2007, 11:14 PM
"UffDaVikes" wrote:

"singersp" wrote:

"Overlord" wrote:

What a jerk.

That's alright though.

Ya think there might have been a bit of sarcasm in there?

Not necessarily. I've been here long enough & have read plenty of ridiculous posts.

litlharsh
12-15-2007, 11:29 PM
"singersp" wrote:

Not necessarily. I've been here long enough & have read plenty of ridiculous posts.
its not even that. he was clearly parodying the original poster. did you really miss that?

vikesfargo
12-15-2007, 11:32 PM
Obvious parody. The last part was the dead giveaway.

PurplePeopleEaters
12-15-2007, 11:42 PM
Don't take this too personally, but I would kind of just laugh people like that off and take it lightly. When someone says some crap about the Vikes to me I kind of just do a little fake laugh and tell them how I think the team is improving or something like that.. If you come out all pissed off about it then you're bound to make the other guy pretty angry too. Just IMHO.. Non-confrontational people usually do pretty well with confrontational people in my experience.

singersp
12-15-2007, 11:58 PM
"litlharsh" wrote:

"singersp" wrote:

its not even that. he was clearly parodying the original poster. did you really miss that?

I did not even read the first post. I skipped over it.

Ddawg84
12-16-2007, 01:23 AM
Singer... you are Making an a$$ clown out of yourself right now... you need to read my original post!
You would think someone that has talked on here as much as you, would know that!
haha

just givin ya a hard time man...
;)

litlharsh
12-16-2007, 01:26 AM
"singersp" wrote:

"litlharsh" wrote:

"singersp" wrote:

I did not even read the first post. I skipped over it.
I'm fairly sure you're playing with me, but I can't tell. I'm so confuzzled.

huxx
12-16-2007, 01:36 AM
"PurplePeopleEaters" wrote:

Don't take this too personally, but I would kind of just laugh people like that off and take it lightly. When someone says some crap about the Vikes to me I kind of just do a little fake laugh and tell them how I think the team is improving or something like that.. If you come out all pissed off about it then you're bound to make the other guy pretty angry too. Just IMHO.. Non-confrontational people usually do pretty well with confrontational people in my experience.

Not only are the jacka$$es on the street short sighted, but the broadcasters and so-called experts too.

Ddawg84
12-16-2007, 01:44 AM
"huxx" wrote:

"PurplePeopleEaters" wrote:

Not only are the jacka$$es on the street short sighted, but the broadcasters and so-called experts too.

I know!!! The #1 thing that the broadcasters say about the vikings, that annoys me is when they talk about how badly ranked our pass defense is, and say nothing about it being due to the fact that teams are terrified to run against us... like detroit who rushed like 6 total times... and the fact that we don't get enough consistent pressure on the QB from our front 4...

They say all of this, that is... when they don't all have Brett Farve's your know what it their mouths! haha

singersp
12-16-2007, 08:04 AM
"Ddawg84" wrote:

Singer... you are Making an a$$ clown out of yourself right now... you need to read my original post!
You would think someone that has talked on here as much as you, would know that!
haha

just givin ya a hard time man...
;)

Like I said, I did not read your first post, so I had no way of knowing he was parodying your post until someone mentioned it a few posts ago.

I don't read every single post on here. If I did I wouldn't have time to post all the articles you read.

If I see a lengthy post or article that looks like just one long paragraph, I don't take the time to read it.

That's not a bash on you by the the way, that's just the way I roll.

If it makes people think of me as an ass clown because I respond to a post without reading every other fucking post in the thread, then let them think that. I won't lose sleep over it.

I read Overlords post, took it as I read it & responded accordingly.

Marrdro
12-16-2007, 12:45 PM
This thread cracked me up in many ways.
;D

Anyway, back to the original post.
Try being an optimist and supporter of the team at this link.

http://www.purplepride.org

Key note:
It has been pretty good over the last 4 weeks though.
;D

PurpleGator
12-16-2007, 03:15 PM
"Marrdro" wrote:

This thread cracked me up in many ways.

;D

Anyway, back to the original post.
Try being an optimist and supporter of the team at this link.

http://www.purplepride.org

Key note:
It has been pretty good over the last 4 weeks though.

;D

Yes it has!