PDA

View Full Version : Brad's blueprint - Childress follows Reid's lead

singersp
12-12-2007, 10:26 PM
Brad's blueprint
Vikings' Childress follows former boss Reid's lead (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/reuben_frank/12/12/vikings/)

Posted: Wednesday December 12, 2007 4:38PM; Updated: Wednesday December 12, 2007 5:01PM

Reuben Frank
sportsillustrated.cnn.com

It started with an unknown rookie head coach replacing somebody who'd taken the team to the playoffs just a couple of years earlier. There were popular players released. There was a veteran quarterback struggling.....

COJOMAY
12-12-2007, 11:19 PM
The similarities between the Eagles and Vikings are almost identical. That's almost scary. I loved this line in the story:
If the parallel continues, the Vikings will win a wild-card game this year, then make the playoffs for the next four years, and reach the Super Bowl in 2011.

ap07
12-12-2007, 11:25 PM
I will admit that I still dont like Chilly.
He still does things that are just not right.
But the team has taken to his style of coaching and things are finally working out for us.
We have beaten alot of good team,
Giants and the Chargers to name a few.
We also played well in Dallas.
I would not count this team out of any games the rest of the way.
Reid and Chilly do alot of the same things.
Which could mean along run into the playoffs the next couple of season.
The thing I hope he uses more is the wide recievers.
I think they have stepped up and been alot better.

Rambro
12-12-2007, 11:37 PM
The part where the Eagles lost 3 or 4 NFC Championships in a row, I don't want that.
To get that close and not make wouldn't be good at all.

vikesfargo
12-13-2007, 01:59 AM
We have a better running game than the Eagles. That takes the pressure off the QB. This gets to be critical in the playoffs and SB. Just think of John Elway.

phillyviking
12-13-2007, 01:59 AM
I like that Childress runs the ball more than Reid. Maybe that's just when Bevell is calling the plays, but it shows Chilly can be less stubborn and more open to going with what works than Reid.

One way Chilly is VERY much like Reid -- he doesn't let anything on to the media. Both are very tight-lipped and keep non-essential news out of the press. That's also a trait of Childress' other ex-boss, Barry Alvarez.

So, Super Bowl in 2011? I don't suppose the NFL has selected a city yet. Dammit, that means I can't set my travel plans yet.

651Vikes
12-13-2007, 02:20 AM
Another thing thats starting to shape up with similarities...

Andy Reid and his staff have a reputation of drafting very well, if not drafting the best.

As of right now, Childress may be drafting better then Reid. Only time will tell though.

I doubt anyone would mind their team going to the playoffs every year. Just look at the Colts.

Schutz
12-13-2007, 02:23 AM
"651Vikes" wrote:

Another thing thats starting to shape up with similarities...

Andy Reid and his staff have a reputation of drafting very well, if not drafting the best.

As of right now, Childress may be drafting better then Reid. Only time will tell though.

I doubt anyone would mind their team going to the playoffs every year. Just look at the Colts.

Correction, the Colts have a ring, Eagles don't.
Just saying.

DustinDupont
12-13-2007, 02:27 AM
"Rambro" wrote:

The part where the Eagles lost 3 or 4 NFC Championships in a row, I don't want that.
To get that close and not make wouldn't be good at all.

at least they had there shots to make it.... i would rather have the shot than waiting for the draft to come.... and they did make it one year

UTVikfan
12-13-2007, 02:31 AM
This is a great article. I really didnt' know crap about the eagles in that time. Makes me think..lol. The Vikes have drafted really well for a long time, a miss or two, but over all really well. And a few missing pieces, and, the way they are playing the NFC championship game next year is not all that long of a shot.

singersp
12-13-2007, 07:26 AM
"COJOMAY" wrote:

The similarities between the Eagles and Vikings are almost identical. That's almost scary. I loved this line in the story:
If the parallel continues, the Vikings will win a wild-card game this year, then make the playoffs for the next four years, and reach the Super Bowl in 2011.

Although I'd like to see it happen much sooner, I could live with that. Especially if the new Vikings stadium opens that year & the Super Bowl is played at the new stadium.

PurpleTide
12-13-2007, 07:52 AM
I like the fact that even with all the critism Childress has stayed with his plan. This quote from Andy Reid, "I told Brad you don't get a lot of shots to be a head coach in the National Football League, you have to do what you believe in. No matter how many people are questioning you on the outside, you have to stick with your plan, and he's done that." says it all, and now it's starting to pan out.

NordicNed
12-13-2007, 08:07 AM
"vikesfargo" wrote:

We have a better running game than the Eagles. That takes the pressure off the QB. This gets to be critical in the playoffs and SB. Just think of John Elway.

We may have some differences in the running game, but Brian Westbrook is also an elite player in my book.....

phillyviking
12-13-2007, 12:24 PM
"NordicNed" wrote:

"vikesfargo" wrote:

We may have some differences in the running game, but Brian Westbrook is also an elite player in my book.....

Brian Westbrook is an elite player, and the Eagles' MVP. The problem is that Reid doesn't use him right. In the game where they almost beat the Patriots, the Eagles were moving the ball well on their final drive, West Coast-style, mixing up short passes and runs by Westbrook. They get into Patriots territory and suddenly Reid takes the ball out of Westbrook's hands and puts it in the hands of his second-string quarterback AJ Feeley. Result: Interception, game over. Against the Seahawks, same deal. Westbrook returns a late punt 60-some yards to put the Eagles in scoring position -- and then doesn't see the ball again. Result: Interception, game over.

I would hope that when the game is on the line, Childress understands who the Vikings' playmakers are and who he should trust with the football.

BloodyHorns82
12-13-2007, 12:30 PM
"PurpleTide" wrote:

I like the fact that even with all the critism Childress has stayed with his plan. This quote from Andy Reid, "I told Brad you don't get a lot of shots to be a head coach in the National Football League, you have to do what you believe in. No matter how many people are questioning you on the outside, you have to stick with your plan, and he's done that." says it all, and now it's starting to pan out.

Sounds to me like Reid is trying to take credit for Brad's success, but that's just my opinion.

Mr-holland
12-13-2007, 12:43 PM
"BloodyHorns82" wrote:

"PurpleTide" wrote:

Sounds to me like Reid is trying to take credit for Brad's success, but that's just my opinion.

He has been his mentor, so maybe he deserves a little credit.
most of the credit goes to ol' Chiller though, i'm so glad we are winning after all. after the GB game i was confused didn't know what to think or how to feel after supporting Childress for 2 years. now i can finally say i was right

C Mac D
12-13-2007, 01:00 PM
I'm just glad he didn't follow his eating habits.

Purple Floyd
12-13-2007, 04:59 PM
Hopefully Brad stops listening to him when he starts to tell him how to raise children.

651Vikes
12-13-2007, 06:30 PM
Whats with their mustaches anyway. Holmgrem, Reid, and Childress all sport the same mustache! Anyone got pictures?

Marrdro
12-15-2007, 09:59 AM
"UTVikfan" wrote:

This is a great article. I really didnt' know crap about the eagles in that time. Makes me think..lol. The Vikes have drafted really well for a long time, a miss or two, but over all really well. And a few missing pieces, and, the way they are playing the NFC championship game next year is not all that long of a shot.

I'm sorry my friend but the previous regime sucked at drafting.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/history/fulldraft?teamId=3000&type=team

Marrdro
12-15-2007, 10:22 AM
Very nice read my friend.
Just a few comments though.

There were a bunch of losses and a furious fan base who didn't yet understand the long-range plan.
Not normally a "I told you so" kindof guy, however, not everyone missed the vision/big picture.
;D

By taking Reid's model and tweaking it to fit his more run-oriented personnel, Childress has made the Vikings the favorite to earn the second NFC wild-card berth.
Tweaking my ass.
Reid's offense isn't even close to what the Ole Chiller and Co run.

a.
Huge, very athletic OL that does both ZB and Man Block very well (well its getting there).
Most on here believed the Chiller was insane for trying to implement a ZB scheme with the big guys.
Hell, most of the press and posters on here missed the fact that his "Pass First" offense wasn't a pass first offense.
If it was then why the hell did he:

1. Implement the ZB scheme?

2. Get a banger like CT?

3. Sign a guy like Hutch?

4. Draft a banger like AD?
All the signs were there that this would be a run first offense.
That my friends is 180 degrees from what is being run in Philly.
b.
Hell the make up of the team isn't even close.

1. Coach Ried only carries 1 FB and 3 TEs.

2. The Vikings carry 3 FB's and 3 TE's.

3. On Defense the Iggles carry 8 LB's and the Vikes carry 6.

Face it, spin it however you want, the similarities are nothing more than a few coincidences and I bet if you could get the Chiller alone, in a room, off the record, he would tell you that there are huge differences in the way the approach the game, get the team ready and ultimately try to win.

"We live in a society that wants instant gratification," Childress said. "Nobody wants to hear about a long-term plan. They see Jon Gruden and Sean Payton winning in Year 1 and want to know why we can't do the same thing.

Hang in there Chiller, some of us can see what the organization (and not just the Chiller) are trying to do.

If its broke, fix it I say and damnit, it was broke when he got here, I don't care how many times most of you throw up that damn 9-7 record.
The previous regime was a mere semblance of Denny's program, hadn't drafted well and couldn't win on the road (especially if the road game was on grass).

Out with the old, in with the new.
Heres to a very bright future my friends that isn't anything like what Coach Reid is doing in Philly but rather what this organization (not just the Chiller) is doing in MN.