PDA

View Full Version : Vikings' hot streak launches re-born Childress off hot seat

mountainviking
12-12-2007, 11:46 AM
http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/story/10524546

I did a quick search and didn't see this one anywhere...?
Anywho, it sure is nice to see some respect come back to our team!!

The Minnesota Vikings could be going to the playoffs, though I wouldn't bring it up in a conversation if I were you. Coach Brad Childress won't let his players or coaches mention the P word.

But reaching the playoffs is not my concern; achieving respectability is. And the Vikings are there despite a rocky start that had the club dropping five of its first seven this season and Childress at or near the top of some lists of coaches likely to be fired.

"Oh, I was right there at the top," he said.

Some people call it mystifying. I think it's downright astounding. The Vikings are where they weren't supposed to be, and credit Childress for having the courage of his convictions to stay with players he trusted -- including a second-year quarterback who is beginning to look like a keeper.

Vikes_King
12-12-2007, 03:01 PM
It's more than that, of course. Coaches believe in what they're selling, too. I'm talking specifically about Childress, who could've wavered as he moved up the list of coaches on the hot seat. But he didn't, and that's what I like most about the Vikings return to respectability.

After all the dirty work Childress had to undergo, he found a winning football team in there somewhere. And it sure looks as if it's going places -- though please don't remind Brad Childress.

i'm really beginning to like that about the man.
this season could have cost him his job yet he didn't change his plan (minor changes maybe), and its starting to pay off.
I'm sure that makes it all the more sweet for him

purplepowered
12-12-2007, 10:19 PM
Chilly has a bit more respect now. Although He isnt quite off my hit list yet. I am not totally committed to him but If he loses this game and doesnt make the playoffs, he to me should be done. I feel he has all
the talent the team needs, the right QB, everything, even the WR are coming around. He needs to keep the play calling in Darrell bevell Hands and should go right into the playoffs this next 2 weeks.
TJack is making the right decisions, everyone is backing eachother up, the whole team isnt getting down on eachother, our fans sticking to oneanother. This team should be set up for a long time to come with all the young talent we have AND the MOST RESPECTABLE THING WE HAVE is talent scouts and draft personel! We have done awesome the last 2 drafts. I cant believe the production we have gotten. The only disappointment was losing our drafted QB to KC when we released him #4 That kid was awesome. I cant remember his name right now.....someone help......

mountainviking
12-12-2007, 10:25 PM
That was Tyler Thigpen...stinkin KC!
THey stole a game from us this year too!!

Pretty sure I read that he got hurt though, and was out...

Marrdro
12-17-2007, 02:29 PM
Very nice read my friend.
Thanks.

Little nugget in there though that causes me to wonder as I have seen it a couple of other times with respect to the Chiller and TJ.

"Everyone wants me to crown the guy," he said, "but it's still about a body of work. So he's strung something together. That's what good guys do.

I still wonder if TJ is really what Chiller had in mind for a QB at this stage of his tenure.
I for one give our scouting staff and coach Rodgers more credit for TJ than I do the Chiller.

ejmat
12-17-2007, 02:53 PM
"mountainviking" wrote:

That was Tyler Thigpen...stinkin KC!
THey stole a game from us this year too!!

Pretty sure I read that he got hurt though, and was out...

He did get hurt and he is out for the season.
Although I wouldn't mind having him as a backup right now but I can't say whether or not he's awesome since he's never played an NFL snap.
I sure did like his play during the preseason.

BleedinPandG
12-17-2007, 03:18 PM
"Marrdro" wrote:

Thanks.

Little nugget in there though that causes me to wonder as I have seen it a couple of other times with respect to the Chiller and TJ.

"Everyone wants me to crown the guy," he said, "but it's still about a body of work. So he's strung something together. That's what good guys do.

I still wonder if TJ is really what Chiller had in mind for a QB at this stage of his tenure.
I for one give our scouting staff and coach Rodgers more credit for TJ than I do the Chiller.

If you read all the stories TJ is a McNabb in training which is what Chilly wants, no questions... he has even said that TJ is ahead of where McNabb was at this point in his career... he's just saying that TJ has a ways to go to be McNabb and he could fall off the bus anywhere along that path.

Marrdro
12-17-2007, 03:26 PM
"BleedinPandG" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

Thanks.

If you read all the stories TJ is a McNabb in training which is what Chilly wants, no questions... he has even said that TJ is ahead of where McNabb was at this point in his career... he's just saying that TJ has a ways to go to be McNabb and he could fall off the bus anywhere along that path.

You are probably correct my friend, however, in my mind I still wonder why he keeps on saying this.

My thoughts are centered around the fact that if TJ was doing as well as expected or at least ahead of the curve the Chiller would come out and make statements to that accord.

I wonder why he hesitates in saying things like the kid is the "Man/Future" at the QB position if for some reason he isn't quiet sure yet?
Again, maybe I am just reading way to much into it.
::)

BleedinPandG
12-17-2007, 03:36 PM
"Marrdro" wrote:

"BleedinPandG" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

Thanks.

You are probably correct my friend, however, in my mind I still wonder why he keeps on saying this.

My thoughts are centered around the fact that if TJ was doing as well as expected or at least ahead of the curve the Chiller would come out and make statements to that accord.

I wonder why he hesitates in saying things like the kid is the "Man/Future" at the QB position if for some reason he isn't quiet sure yet?
Again, maybe I am just reading way to much into it.
::)

When have you ever heard Chilly say something that positive?
He's always even keel... "he's doing what we're asking, making good reads, better accuracy"... "he's still leaving some stuff on the field, still some areas for improvement"... etc etc... Chilly is a perfectionist.
He's not a guy who will inflate anyone's ego with praise.
That just seems to be his style.
I've never seen him "glow" about any single player or performance in anything I've ever read.

bleedpurple
12-17-2007, 04:07 PM
i think he's just saying that he's only had 4 good games, so he doesn't have enough body of work to say he's the future at the position.

i think everyone feels that way... last year i don't think you could say that about Romo either.. but now obviously you can for the most part...

I also wonder if maybe it's chiller playing mind games to keep TJ focused and grounded even though he seems to be a grounded guy..

but i doo see what your saying in how vague and hesitant he was to crown him.. but i think it has more to do with chilly keeping to "the we must continue to improve" theme.. kinda like Belichek and the humble pie routine

Marrdro
12-17-2007, 06:37 PM
"bleedpurple" wrote:

i think he's just saying that he's only had 4 good games, so he doesn't have enough body of work to say he's the future at the position.

i think everyone feels that way... last year i don't think you could say that about Romo either.. but now obviously you can for the most part...

I also wonder if maybe it's chiller playing mind games to keep TJ focused and grounded even though he seems to be a grounded guy..

but i doo see what your saying in how vague and hesitant he was to crown him.. but i think it has more to do with chilly keeping to "the we must continue to improve" theme.. kinda like Belichek and the humble pie routine

That must be it my friend.
He is some sort of Physc major or head doctor or something like that.
Just playing mind games with TJ and I.

marstc09
12-17-2007, 06:43 PM
"BleedinPandG" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

Thanks.

I do not want him to be McNabb. I want a Super Bowl!

ejmat
12-18-2007, 07:31 AM
"Marrdro" wrote:

"bleedpurple" wrote:

I think the Chiller is just being honest. Sure, he's improved but as we all saw last night there's still a ways to go.

Marrdro
12-18-2007, 10:25 AM
"ejmat" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

"bleedpurple" wrote:

I think the Chiller is just being honest. Sure, he's improved but as we all saw last night there's still a ways to go.

I agree my friend.

Last nights performance is what bothers me a bit.
Most of it I attribute to other parts of the Offensive players but alot of his mistakes could have been eliminated if he would have just not tried to make the heroic play.

I wonder if he will ever out grow that and I attribute comments out of the Chiller like the ones above to a assumption that maybe, just maybe the Chiller thinks that way as well.
Rationale is I got used to "Denny Speak" and pay close attention to what the HC says because of it, especially when they say the same thing more than once or twice.
In this case the Chiller has said this (or words of this nature) several times.

Then you throw in the fact that I am almost 100% sure that the staff (and not just the Chiller) settled on TJ cause the front office screwed the pooch on Cutler and Clemens and the Chiller is only holding the party line on the whole QB issue.

With that said, I really think that he (the Chiller) will push the front office pukes to get him a better option at QB next year (and sometime before the last pre-season game for Cripes sake) just in case TJ doesn't continue to improve and will lobby to draft another QB someplace in the 4th - 6th rounds next year.

We have a very good core group of players, next years draft will add alot of quality depth/future stars, throw in a solid Vet QB, DE, CB, OL (C/G) and a WR to plug a few holes and we will be something to be reckoned with my friends for several years to come.

ejmat
12-18-2007, 10:30 AM
"Marrdro" wrote:

"ejmat" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

"bleedpurple" wrote:

I agree my friend.

Last nights performance is what bothers me a bit.
Most of it I attribute to other parts of the Offensive players but alot of his mistakes could have been eliminated if he would have just not tried to make the heroic play.

I wonder if he will ever out grow that and I attribute comments out of the Chiller like the ones above to a assumption that maybe, just maybe the Chiller thinks that way as well.
Rationale is I got used to "Denny Speak" and pay close attention to what the HC says because of it, especially when they say the same thing more than once or twice.
In this case the Chiller has said this (or words of this nature) several times.

Then you throw in the fact that I am almost 100% sure that the staff (and not just the Chiller) settled on TJ cause the front office screwed the pooch on Cutler and Clemens and the Chiller is only holding the party line on the whole QB issue.

With that said, I really think that he (the Chiller) will push the front office pukes to get him a better option at QB next year (and sometime before the last pre-season game for Cripes sake) just in case TJ doesn't continue to improve and will lobby to draft another QB someplace in the 4th - 6th rounds next year.

We have a very good core group of players, next years draft will add alot of quality depth/future stars, throw in a solid Vet QB, DE, CB, OL (C/G) and a WR to plug a few holes and we will be something to be reckoned with my friends for several years to come.

Can't agree with you more my friend.