PDA

View Full Version : Childress Just Might Be Decent

FreakinVikingsBaby
12-11-2007, 04:22 AM
I read this article and immediatley I thought that Childress might actually be the right man. It'd be interesting to see how he got Bevell in here.
http://www.grandforksherald.com/articles/index.cfm?id=59995&section=sports

Vikes_King
12-11-2007, 06:33 AM
"FreakinVikingsBaby" wrote:

I read this article and immediatley I thought that Childress might actually be the right man. It'd be interesting to see how he got Bevell in here.http://www.grandforksherald.com/articles/index.cfm?id=59995&section=sports

Bevell and Childress have strong ties from Darrell's college years.
Childress was Northern Arizona's offensive coordinator where Bevell was a freshman QB.
He had left NAU for a missionary trip for two years, and when he came back he decided to go to University of Wisconsin-Madison, where Childress had been picked up as a QB coach. (despite offers of scholarships to NAU & Utah).

btw he also worked with Brett Favre, and was in charge of developing Aaron Rodger's before Childress picked him up.
he was with the packer's for like 6 years, so he knew the NFC North.

So they go back like.. 15 years or so lol

edit: went & found some of the info i read a while back from NFC North, here's some nice pieces:

Bevell stepped into the Packers’ QB coaching role in 2003 with solid results. Favre set a career-high with a 65.4% completion rate, led the NFL with 32 TD passes and earned his 8th career berth in the Pro Bowl. The Packers offense was balanced as the team set a new franchise record with 2,558 net yards rushing. Bevell’s debut in the NFL came in 2000 as an offensive assistant with the team. Along with Favre, Bevell worked with future NFC Champion QB Matt Hasselbeck before his trade from Green Bay to Seattle

As a collegiate player Bevell studied under Childress as the duo helped turn the dormant University of Wisconsin program into a national power. A 4-year starter for the Badgers, Bevell helped guide the team to a 10-1-1 mark as a sophomore in 1993. The squad claimed a share of the Big Ten championship for the 1st time since 1962 and won the Rose Bowl over UCLA. Between his sophomore and junior seasons, Bevell helped UW go 18-4-2. He left Madison as the school’s all-time leading passer with 19 team records and a pair of Big Ten marks. His 67.8% completion mark set in 1993 still stands as the conference record while he was a 61.4% passer for his career.

http://www.vikings.com/TeamCoachProfile_Darrell_Bevell.aspx

Prophet
12-11-2007, 09:02 AM
What a surprise, and all along I was buying into the notion that he randomly picked up hacks as his assistants because the average maddenite knew more about the game than he did.

FreakinVikingsBaby
12-11-2007, 09:05 AM
"Prophet" wrote:

What a surprise, and all along I was buying into the notion that he randomly picked up hacks as his assistants because the average maddenite knew more about the game than he did.

Oh hahaha. Don't hate on my madden.

purplepowered
12-12-2007, 10:51 PM
I WOW I am undressed I mean im pressed! Jeepers I think he still cant face the camera when he is talking and he seems like he is smokin a lil dope cause he talks slow and stuff, but hey we are winning now so He can smoke all he wants. !

Marrdro
12-15-2007, 11:32 AM
All the Chiller love.

Lets not forget that it is more than just the Chiller, it is the assistants, the Coords, and most importantly, the players who can also take most of the credit for this teams turn around.

singersp
12-15-2007, 11:44 AM
"Marrdro" wrote:

All the Chiller love.

Lets not forget that it is more than just the Chiller, it is the assistants, the Coords, and most importantly, the players who can also take most of the credit for this teams turn around.

Finally!
;)

Marrdro
12-15-2007, 11:50 AM
"singersp" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

All the Chiller love.

Finally!
;)

Finally my ass....... ;D
;D
;D

I've been trying to convince you that it has been the players executing the old scheme and not a scheme change for weeks my friend.
You are the one who keeps trying to give all the credit to the coaches.
;D
;D
;D
;D

singersp
12-15-2007, 12:04 PM
"Marrdro" wrote:

"singersp" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

All the Chiller love.

Finally!
;)

Finally my ass....... ;D
;D
;D

I've been trying to convince you that it has been the players executing the old scheme and not a scheme change for weeks my friend.

;D
;D
;D
;D

Not talking about the scheme tweaks. I'm just talking about the credit that has been unduly giving out before & in your absence.

This is the jist of it.

Vikings lose, it's the players not executing. Don't blame Childress.

Vikings win, "Hooray! Childress is great & he's a genius" with not much credit being given to the rest of the staff or the players.

I still believe tweaks have been made here & there to cater to the players strengths & provide better coverage, but Childress' basic plan has been the same all year.

MetalMike-LoudVike
12-15-2007, 04:39 PM
Maybe its now an understanding of the coaches and players getting the ship turned around, and starting to say this is what needs to happend. and things have really turned around How about the D-LINE that is something in my eyes that can never get enough credit.

Mr-holland
12-15-2007, 05:26 PM
"singersp" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

"singersp" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

All the Chiller love.

Finally!
;)

Finally my jiggly butt....... ;D
;D
;D

;D
;D
;D
;D

Not talking about the scheme tweaks. I'm just talking about the credit that has been unduly giving out before & in your absence.

This is the jist of it.

Vikings win, "Hooray! Childress is great & he's a genius" with not much credit being given to the rest of the staff or the players.

I still believe tweaks have been made here & there to cater to the players strengths & provide better coverage, but Childress' basic plan has been the same all year.

I don't agree with ya Singer
When we lose there are people that say: well it's the players don't blame Childress but there are WAY more people calling for Childress' head after a loss. That's what we fans are for. bitching when it goes wrong and partying when we win. Blaim the whole bunch when we lose, celebrate the bunch when we win.

Purple Floyd
12-15-2007, 08:27 PM
We still have a few games to play and we also have to see what the offseason brings. Alot can change in 3 weeks. If you don't think so go back 3 weeks in the forum and see what the topics were.

One game at a time

singersp
12-15-2007, 09:37 PM
"Mr-holland" wrote:

"singersp" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

"singersp" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

All the Chiller love.

Finally!
;)

;D
;D

;D
;D
;D
;D

This is the jist of it.

I don't agree with ya Singer
When we lose there are people that say: well it's the players don't blame Childress but there are WAY more people calling for Childress' head after a loss. That's what we fans are for. bitching when it goes wrong and partying when we win. Blaim the whole bunch when we lose, celebrate the bunch when we win.

I wasn't refering to all people. I was refering to some of those that blame the players for not executing after a loss & not Childress, but when they win they give the credit to Childress & not the players for executing.

Caine
12-15-2007, 09:43 PM
I personally believe that the surge we're seeing is the result of Childress FINALLY figuring out what we have in Peterson and Taylor, and attempting to use it correctly.
It's also the result of Leslie Frazier taking some chances on Defense and allowing guys to be aggressive.

And having Williamson out of the line-up helps too....

Doesn't make Chilly a genius, since most of US figured it out in week 2.
I personally believe that Peterson may have just saved Chillers bacon.
Still, if the Vikes make the Playoffs and knock out Green Bay, I'm willing to give Chiller another year or two...

Caine

ballhog27
12-15-2007, 09:54 PM
The coaching has never been truly great (Not catering to last year's players in hopes of making the playoffs). I have warmed up to the idea of Brad Childress being the coach of the Vikings but I am assuming there has been a few tweaks to his system. I can't understand how earlier in the year we weren't winning games against marginal teams but we had the same players playing?

Just something that needs to be pointed out. The opposing teams have given up completely on running the ball against the Vikings. This does help out our team. The 49ers stuck with it for a while and made great progress, just turned the ball over too much. Lastly, the sore eye of our running game. As pointed out by analysts (and assuming most coaches aren't dumber than them), the Vikings lineup different in the backfield when they are going to pass and run. 5 for pass, 7 for run. This to me doesn't seem like rocket science and is probably why AD didn't run to well last week.

I'm just saying that a system is great and all, but to believe that you can't adjust to opponents and mix up your scheme...I think is just silly.

Jereamiah
12-15-2007, 10:14 PM
Hey ya know, It would be REAL nice if our D.C. actually stuck around for a second year. It wouldn't suprise me if Miami or SanFran were sniffin around Leslie like a couple a horney freshmen following a girl at a halloween dance during the off-season.

Marrdro
12-16-2007, 12:23 PM
"singersp" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

"singersp" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

All the Chiller love.

Finally!
;)

;D
;D

;D
;D
;D
;D

This is the jist of it.

Anyone who has said that the Chiller should get all the credit and doesn't give it to the players is wrong my friend.
All that matters is that you, I and the Chiller know it so don't worry about those yutz's who don't.
;D

Marrdro
12-16-2007, 12:32 PM
"ballhog27" wrote:

The coaching has never been truly great (Not catering to last year's players in hopes of making the playoffs). I have warmed up to the idea of Brad Childress being the coach of the Vikings but I am assuming there has been a few tweaks to his system. I can't understand how earlier in the year we weren't winning games against marginal teams but we had the same players playing?
Just something that needs to be pointed out. The opposing teams have given up completely on running the ball against the Vikings. This does help out our team. The 49ers stuck with it for a while and made great progress, just turned the ball over too much. Lastly, the sore eye of our running game. As pointed out by analysts (and assuming most coaches aren't dumber than them), the Vikings lineup different in the backfield when they are going to pass and run. 5 for pass, 7 for run. This to me doesn't seem like rocket science and is probably why AD didn't run to well last week.

I'm just saying that a system is great and all, but to believe that you can't adjust to opponents and mix up your scheme...I think is just silly.

I like to use the anology of the the US attempt at winning olympic basketball games with collegiate players.
We just weren't getting it done anymore.

Was it because the players weren't talented or because we had bad coaching staffs?
Nope.
It was because the other countries players were more experienced.
End result, we put together the dream team and we started winning again.

Same can be said for the Vikes early on this year.
Same players, same talent, lack of experience.
Now the kids have some experience, the game is slowing down and we are winning. Throw in the fact that they are now executing the basics of the scheme and you start to see additional pages of the playbook being opened which gives the coaches the lattitude to adjust to the scheme to match the opponent as you alude to in your last statement.

Guess what.......?
We are still a very inexperienced team that has flaws which can be exploited by another team that has the same talent with more experience which is why I am not all that fired up about us making it to the playoffs.

Shit happens.

singersp
12-16-2007, 12:32 PM
"Marrdro" wrote:

"singersp" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

"singersp" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

All the Chiller love.

Finally!
;)

;D
;D

;D
;D
;D
;D

This is the jist of it.

Anyone who has said that the Chiller should get all the credit and doesn't give it to the players is wrong my friend.
All that matters is that you, I and the Chiller know it so don't worry about those yutz's who don't.

;D

:o
We have yutz's here?

Marrdro
12-16-2007, 12:35 PM
"Jereamiah" wrote:

Hey ya know, It would be REAL nice if our D.C. actually stuck around for a second year. It wouldn't suprise me if Miami or SanFran were sniffin around Leslie like a couple a horney freshmen following a girl at a halloween dance during the off-season.

I for one would like to see him stick around as well, however, history has shown that this staff (and not just the Chiller) seem to be able to plug people in whether it be because of injury or if we loose a D-coord.
A good guy is stuck in who still produces.

Let Leslie go, someone else will come in and run the scheme.
It is only another example of the quality of our coaching staff my friend.

nephilimstorm
12-16-2007, 12:39 PM
True, how many lineage points does the Chillder have? :-X

singersp
12-16-2007, 12:54 PM
"Jereamiah" wrote:

That's just has to much detail to be made up on the spot.

Was she hot?
:P

PurpleGator
12-16-2007, 03:04 PM
Remember the season isn't over and we are still 7-6.

Not the greatest!

singersp
12-17-2007, 06:12 AM
4 wins in a row have Vikings' Childress in far better standing (http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2007/12/16/sports/FBN-Bears-Vikings.php)

The Associated Press
iht.com

Published: December 16, 2007

MINNEAPOLIS: Contrary to what some Vikings fans have contended, Brad Childress does indeed have a brain, and he uses it quite a bit...........