PDA

View Full Version : MMQB - Peter King ranks Vikes 7th in the league, 3rd in NFC

Zeus
12-10-2007, 07:52 AM
Here are the Vikings-related blurbs from this morning's MMQB:

Monday Morning QB (cont.)
Posted: Monday December 10, 2007 3:32AM; Updated: Monday December 10, 2007 4:28AM

The Fine Fifteen

7. Minnesota (7-6). I am bullish on the Vikes being the sixth NFC seed. Maybe the fifth. Look at the schedule: Chicago, Washington, at Denver. Look how they're playing. Look at the competent quarterback.

Quote of the Week I
"I think if you told our guys a month ago that they were going to be the hunted instead of going hunting, they probably would have asked you, 'Well, how's that going to happen?'"

-- Minnesota coach Brad Childress, whose Vikes won their fourth in a row, 27-7 at San Francisco.

These are from his 10 Things I Think I Think:

i. Adrian Peterson rushed 14 times for three yards at San Francisco, and the Vikes won by 20 points. Yes, the tide is turning for the Vikes all right.

j. I'm no ratings maven, but I'll bet a dime that a Dallas-New England or Green Bay-New England Super Bowl would draw the biggest audience in American television history.

k. Why do I think the Vikings might have something to say about that?

Isn't that nice of that no-talent hack?

=Z=

Mr. Purple
12-10-2007, 11:09 AM
Awesome stuff. I actually like the credit we're getting for once. I used to hate for us to be in the lime light, but we're playing lime light football.Childress IMHO is a very very smart man, and give his time, he'll produce.I'm so ready for next Monday already!

Ltrey33
12-10-2007, 11:21 AM
Holy shit. Are we good?

I'm still a little leary....

tgorsegner
12-10-2007, 11:24 AM
media LOVE? ?? what the heck? ?? we aren't brett farve or the patriots and they still find something nice to say? ?? that just shows how impressive the vikes have been playing. keep it up boys!

vikesfargo
12-10-2007, 11:36 AM
Nice. Right now the Vikings still have to prove that they are better than the Bucs or Seahawks. More importantly, there is a need to stay consistent and continue playing at a high level, come what may.

Go Vikes! Beat the Bears!

happy camper
12-10-2007, 11:47 AM
I don't want people to crown us to early.

Yes, I am sipping the purple kool aid, and am secretly hoping for a superbowl, but geez.

C Mac D
12-10-2007, 12:03 PM
"Ltrey" wrote:

Holy shit. Are we good?

I'm with you on this. We still have a lot of season left to go and we are going to be playing Chicago, Washington and Denver.... all pretty decent teams.

I'm happy with where we are at, I just hope the team stays focused and continues to play like the cohesive unit we've seen on the field for the past 4 weeks.

Great to see this article though!

Slade
12-10-2007, 12:12 PM
We are peaking at the perfect time. All of our draft picks are playing well & don't appear to be hitting the "rookie wall". Things look good for us, & we'll prove to the world on national TV next Monday night, that we are a team no one wants to play.

funkyasflea
12-10-2007, 12:21 PM
Yeah, it is really uplifting to see some media love.
I have been with the Vikes for a while now and I never remember this much purple support!

HoosierVike
12-10-2007, 12:24 PM
"j. I'm no ratings maven, but I'll bet a dime that a Dallas-New England or Green Bay-New England Super Bowl would draw the biggest audience in American television history.

k. Why do I think the Vikings might have something to say about that?"

Is Peter King making a Vikings Super Bowl reference here?...What the heck is going on in the world of football..lol Things are looking really good for us, but dont you think it might be a little early to throw our names in with the Cowboys, Packers , and Patriots?
There is no doubt that this is a different team than that which played the Packers a few weeks back but man. Winning 5 outta 6 and four in a row really changes the landscape.

Skol Vikings!

Vikestand
12-10-2007, 12:42 PM
"HoosierVike" wrote:

"j. I'm no ratings maven, but I'll bet a dime that a Dallas-New England or Green Bay-New England Super Bowl would draw the biggest audience in American television history.

Is Peter King making a Vikings Super Bowl reference here?...What the heck is going on in the world of football..lol Things are looking really good for us, but dont you think it might be a little early to throw our names in with the Cowboys, Packers , and Patriots?
There is no doubt that this is a different team than that which played the Packers a few weeks back but man. Winning 5 outta 6 and four in a row really changes the landscape.

Skol Vikings!

Exactly we have to beat the Bears and hope for some losses next week in order to get a nice little cushion before going into a not so easy game against the Skins and Broncos...

marshallvike
12-10-2007, 01:09 PM
"Ltrey" wrote:

Holy pooh. Are we good?

the longer you have been a viking fan,
the harder it is to put that feeling away.

Proud2BPurple
12-10-2007, 01:21 PM
Agree with everythin being said, we are improving and if we continue to improve as a team, not just as an offense or a defense, then we cud win out the season and really shake things up post-season!

Skol Vikings P2BP

BleedinPandG
12-10-2007, 01:51 PM
"marshallvike" wrote:

"Ltrey" wrote:

Holy pooh. Are we good?

Two things I never bet on... my golf game and the Vikings... both have let me down too many times!
Sometimes I think every Vikings fan in the world must be a closet masochist.

marshallvike
12-10-2007, 01:53 PM
"BleedinPandG" wrote:

"marshallvike" wrote:

"Ltrey" wrote:

Holy pooh. Are we good?

Two things I never bet on... my golf game and the Vikings... both have let me down too many times!

i guess we are the cub fans of the nfl

BloodyHorns82
12-10-2007, 02:10 PM
I hate to be the pesimist here, but I'm not ready to put the Vikes in the same league as the Cowboys or Green Bay...
I think we have as good a chance as any other team at beating them, but this is the NFL and anything is possible.

Adrian getting completely shut down yesterday concerned me some.
This was a bad 49er team we faced and they kept up with us the entire 2nd half.
Sure much of that could be related to the large lead we had, but minus Chesters 1 long run, they basically shut down our running game for 4 quarters.
And this team that shut us down was ranked 26th I believe against the rush.
If San Francisco found a way to close the door, who's to say the better teams coming up won't do the same.
Granted Tjack has looked acceptable when forced to pass these last 3 weeks, but can he continue to perform at this level?

Still...we SHOULD make the playoffs.
A win is a win and I'll take it.
I just wasn't nearly as impressed with their performance yesterday as I was against the Giants and Lions.
I have heard people saying they think this team is better than the one in 98'.
I don't necessarily agree with that, but we certainly have put ourselves in position for a playoff run.

HornedHat
12-10-2007, 02:21 PM
The optimistic view is that even though the 9ers stopped AD, T-Jack was able to take advantage of his opportunities. That is exactly what we were struggling with early this season. A good running game is supposed to help with the pass. Earlier, we couldn't pass, even though defenses were selling out to stop our run. The fact that we are now beginning to get completions is a good sign for our future. For sure, teams will continue to focus on our running game. We know are showing an ability to make em pay, that will only improve as T-Jack gets more and more comfortable. It's to the good.

vikingivan
12-10-2007, 02:28 PM
"BloodyHorns82" wrote:

I hate to be the pesimist here, but I'm not ready to put the Vikes in the same league as the Cowboys or Green Bay...
I think we have as good a chance as any other team at beating them, but this is the NFL and anything is possible.

Adrian getting completely shut down yesterday concerned me some.
This was a bad 49er team we faced and they kept up with us the entire 2nd half.
Sure much of that could be related to the large lead we had, but minus Chesters 1 long run, they basically shut down our running game for 4 quarters.
And this team that shut us down was ranked 26th I believe against the rush.
If San Francisco found a way to close the door, who's to say the better teams coming up won't do the same.
Granted Tjack has looked acceptable when forced to pass these last 3 weeks, but can he continue to perform at this level?

Still...we SHOULD make the playoffs.
A win is a win and I'll take it.
I just wasn't nearly as impressed with their performance yesterday as I was against the Giants and Lions.
I have heard people saying they think this team is better than the one in 98'.
I don't necessarily agree with that, but we certainly have put ourselves in position for a playoff run.

This team has the potential to be better than the one in 98.
Are they better than the 98 Vikings now?
No!

DustinDupont
12-10-2007, 02:34 PM
that is sweet, we just gotta take care of business against the bears and redskins and where in the playoffs

Purple Floyd
12-10-2007, 03:04 PM
I hope he didn't just Jinx us. That is generally how the downfall of a Vikings season begins

josdin00
12-10-2007, 03:55 PM
"marshallvike" wrote:

"BleedinPandG" wrote:

"marshallvike" wrote:

"Ltrey" wrote:

Holy pooh. Are we good?

What does it say about me that I'm a Cubs fan and a Vikings fan?

BadlandsVikings
12-10-2007, 03:57 PM
"josdin00" wrote:

"marshallvike" wrote:

"BleedinPandG" wrote:

"marshallvike" wrote:

"Ltrey" wrote:

Holy pooh. Are we good?

It means you can laugh at pain

cogitans
12-10-2007, 04:02 PM
"BadlandsViking" wrote:

"josdin00" wrote:

"marshallvike" wrote:

"BleedinPandG" wrote:

"marshallvike" wrote:

Holy pooh. Are we good?

It means you can laugh at pain
Laughing at pain.

Hereby is awarded a handful of manpoints.

vikesfargo
12-10-2007, 04:12 PM
"marshallvike" wrote:

The Vikings won the NFL Championship in 1969. The next game, Super Bowl IV, was the NFL vs. AFL championship game, which of course we didn't win. The Vikings are ex-NFL champions. The only clubs that have NFL championships but no Super Bowl championships are the Vikings, Lions, Eagles, Cardinals, and Browns.

In other words, yes, we love pain.

Vikes_King
12-10-2007, 04:22 PM
"HoosierVike" wrote:

Skol Vikings!

i think he's saying if we face the cowboys or packers in the playoffs they better be ready :) the Cowboys vs Packers NFC Championship sure as hell isn't a lock anymore

ThorSPL
12-10-2007, 04:25 PM
I look at AD being shut down in a different light....

The first 6 games of the season, we would have lost that game because no other part of our offense could step up and pick up the slack.
The fact is that they sold out on AD and that opened up other aspects of our offense (the pass), and T-Jack put up another good game.
In a sense, our running game is finally allowing the passing game to succeed.

I wish he would've busted a C-note, but I like what the team did.

jobusrum
12-10-2007, 05:00 PM
IMO Seattle is still the 3rd best in the NFC. Their D hasn't been getting a lot of love but they have been pretty damn solid. Kerney might be the defensive player of the year and Hasselbeck is having a fantastic season. Beyond that I'd say the Vikes probably are the 4th best in the NFC. I still don't think they match up well with Green Bay or Dallas, because their secondary is their weakness and both Green Bay and Dallas have an incredible passing attack with a lot of weapons. Minny's runnning game is obviously scary good but I still don't think their passing game is any sort of threat. Vikes are playing better, yes, but I'm more worried about a team like Seattle than I am the Vikes

Braddock
12-10-2007, 05:17 PM
"BleedinPandG" wrote:

"marshallvike" wrote:

"Ltrey" wrote:

Holy pooh. Are we good?

See I'm the opposite. I'm always looking to bet this guy at work on the Viking's game. It's a gentleman's bet ($1), and since they're gettting good, he won't take me up on them anymore (He's a pain in the ass, uncool, and miser with his money). I had to give him a 30 pt. spread just for this SF game. I lost the dollar, yes, but i feel like my financial backing of the team adds that much more to our chances.

Also, I've worn the same outfit ever since we started winning. I'll continue until we win the SB :) or lose.

Zeus
12-10-2007, 10:23 PM
"marshallvike" wrote:

"Ltrey" wrote:

Holy pooh. Are we good?

Truer words have not been posted on PPO in quite a long time.

=Z=

Zeus
12-10-2007, 10:24 PM
"josdin00" wrote:

"marshallvike" wrote:

"BleedinPandG" wrote:

"marshallvike" wrote:

"Ltrey" wrote:

Holy pooh. Are we good?

You probably are only attracted to girls who don't like you, too.

=Z=

singersp
12-10-2007, 10:33 PM
Who cares what Peter King thinks, good or bad?

People act like he's a God or something & whatever he says is Gospel & should be revered.

Zeus
12-10-2007, 10:41 PM
"singersp" wrote:

People act like he's a God or something & whatever he says is Gospel & should be revered.

I care what he thinks.
I enjoy his columns, even when he's not writing nice things about my team.

=Z=

singersp
12-10-2007, 10:57 PM
"Zeus" wrote:

"singersp" wrote:

I care what he thinks.

=Z=

That still doesn't mean he's a God.

When he gives the Vikes props, people get all gaga over it & when he's down on the Vikings some members think it's all doom & gloom for us.

Based soley on the fact because Peter King says so.

C Mac D
12-10-2007, 10:59 PM
"singersp" wrote:

"Zeus" wrote:

"singersp" wrote:
[quote]

I care what he thinks.

=Z=

When he gives the Vikes props, people get all gaga over it & when he's down on the Vikings some members think it's all doom & gloom for us.

[/quote

Pretty sure you're the only one who has referred to him as "God" so far.

The Dropper
12-10-2007, 11:00 PM
"Zeus" wrote:

"singersp" wrote:

I care what he thinks.

=Z=

I enjoy his columns also, though i can't explain why. I rarely agree with him, and he can't hold a candle to the analysis of even the likes of Bucky Brooks, let alone Gregg Easterbrook.

Still, I find myself looking forward to reading his column every Monday. Why?

vikes2456
12-10-2007, 11:01 PM
Peter King knows all, and now knows you doubt him. Sleep with one eye open

singersp
12-10-2007, 11:02 PM
"vikes2456" wrote:

Fuck Peter King!

vikes2456
12-10-2007, 11:04 PM
"singersp" wrote:

"vikes2456" wrote:

floop Peter King!

You're only making things worse

vikinggreg
12-10-2007, 11:04 PM
"singersp" wrote:

"vikes2456" wrote:

Fuck Peter King!

he's the King....its in his name ;D

Zeus
12-10-2007, 11:06 PM
"singersp" wrote:

"Zeus" wrote:

"singersp" wrote:

I care what he thinks.

Who said he was a God?
It's Monday.
In his regular column about called MONDAY Morning Quarterback, he wrote nice things about my team.
And I posted them.
And, until you got all huffy, the discussion was sorta interesting.

Now it's about King, rather than about momentum or the next 3 games or being a Vikings fan and feeling dread or wherever else the thread might have been going.
Good job.

=Z=

Zeus
12-10-2007, 11:08 PM
"The" wrote:

"Zeus" wrote:

"singersp" wrote:

I care what he thinks.

I enjoy his columns also, though i can't explain why. I rarely agree with him, and he can't hold a candle to the analysis of even the likes of Bucky Brooks, let alone Gregg Easterbrook.

Still, I find myself looking forward to reading his column every Monday. Why?

Bucky Brooks is a bad writer, but his information is good.
He also has mis-spelled "Tarvaris" at least twice this season.

Easterbrook, OTOH, is a blowhard.
I read his column, because he does have good analysis, but he's a bit of a boob.

=Z=

UTVikfan
12-11-2007, 03:33 AM
I am sure it didnt' matter but the Pats started slowly last year and King was doing 2 pages of Brady love last year. I sent him an email accusing him of Madden/Farve manlove with Brady, and the 2 page dirges ceased. I think we should all send him an email saying the Vikes suck....and then with no media love...they will win!

Zeus
12-11-2007, 12:38 PM
"Zeus" wrote:

Easterbrook, OTOH, is a blowhard.
I read his column, because he does have good analysis, but he's a bit of a boob.

And now, here I sit, on a TUESDAY MORNING, and no Easterbrook in sight on ESPN.COM.

Harumph.

=Z=